What would be very helpful is to have updates on availabilty at the various carriers, whether in this thread or a separate dedicated one

Just in my own personal experience I've had conflicting info among stores of one carrier (Rogers). Some say they'll have inventory available Monday, others say you have to reserve one on-line to have a chance at getting one. One even claimed they were expecting a new shipment last Friday but that it may not get there due to the storm.
    02-10-13 05:14 PM
    The UK seems to be recovering somewhat from the shortage, though I went into a store the other day and they were out.
    02-10-13 05:33 PM
    AT BEF13 Toronto, the day before the Canadian launch, SAP said they were taking delivery of 16,000 Z10s on the day of launch, I was there. Not only was this verbal but it was also reiterated on the large screen. I have no idea if CrackBerry reported it or not, maybe this isn't considered all that news worthy, perhaps it was pretty much expected, but I witnessed this announcement and it certainly impressed me.
    Well, that's definitely good news. Maybe the other poster whose company is waiting on Rogers is smaller. Wonder if SAP used their carrier or seems more likely got a z10 shipment of that size direct from BlackBerry. Also wonder if any other big companies got some big orders filled, namely the big oil players in Calgary. Imperial/Exxon had a big corporate BB userbase.
    02-10-13 06:37 PM
    I can only speak on behalf of Rogers - and I'm not sure if this is Rogers ordering this many, or BlackBerry limiting it to this many - but Rogers is getting 1,000 of them per week for the entire country. A little ridiculous if you ask me.
    02-10-13 08:06 PM
    I can only speak on behalf of Rogers - and I'm not sure if this is Rogers ordering this many, or BlackBerry limiting it to this many - but Rogers is getting 1,000 of them per week for the entire country. A little ridiculous if you ask me.
    I just don't believe that without proof. Got any?
    02-10-13 08:14 PM
    Like you said, that's only Rogers so you have to add in other carriers and retailers. Still, rough numbers here but that works out to an average of 50 per city assuming 20 major urban centers. Toronto, Montreal, Vanouver may get a little more but still it seems low even for one carrier alone.

Where did you get this number?
    02-10-13 08:16 PM
    Nothing on paper - just in chatting with some back end folks who work with acquisition.
    02-10-13 08:21 PM
    Nothing on paper - just in chatting with some back end folks who work with acquisition.
    So you work for Rogers? Can you tell me what day shipments are made to stores.

Due to a screwup with my order I got frustrated and cancelled it, so now I'm looking to buy in-store. Preferably with Rogers but will go with Bell or Telus if Rogers doesn't have any.

Thanks
    02-10-13 08:50 PM
    My friend has been on the Rogers pre-order list since Feb 2nd. He says that when he pre-ordered he was at around 3,000 on the list. Now almost 1 week later, he's only at 2000 in the list. How is that even possible?
    02-10-13 09:00 PM
    So you work for Rogers? Can you tell me what day shipments are made to stores.

Due to a screwup with my order I got frustrated and cancelled it, so now I'm looking to buy in-store. Preferably with Rogers but will go with Bell or Telus if Rogers doesn't have any.

Thanks
    I don't work in retail or have anything to do with the sales chain - so I personally have no clue. I seem to recall reading on here that Tuesdays are receiving days, but that may not be true. I know with the Z10, the first batch was shipped out the Thursday before the launch, and arrived anywhere from Friday to Wednesday the next week. So I don't think there's really a set date. I think if you call each store, they can tell you their usual drop off date.

My friend has been on the Rogers pre-order list since Feb 2nd. He says that when he pre-ordered he was at around 3,000 on the list. Now almost 1 week later, he's only at 2000 in the list. How is that even possible?
    That lines up with my 1000 per week statement, no?
    dynot likes this.
    02-10-13 09:02 PM
    I think I pre-ordered a couple of weeks before the launch and was 2,XXX and NOW it shows IN Progress.

I pre-ordered for another number I have on my account I think a day or two before the launch and it was in the 7,XX and now it shows 403.
    02-10-13 09:07 PM
    I think I pre-ordered a couple of weeks before the launch and was 2,XXX and NOW it shows IN Progress.

I pre-ordered for another number I have on my account I think a day or two before the launch and it was in the 7,XX and now it shows 403.
    Something is not quite lining up. You pre-ordered a couple of weeks before the launch and were at 2XXX, but you also pre-ordered another one a day or two before the launch but you were 7XX? This suggests that there are multiple lists because the pre-order you put in before the launch should have been greater than 2XXX if there was just one combined list.
    02-10-13 09:41 PM
    That lines up with my 1000 per week statement, no?
    The 1,000 per week number seems extremely low and is very troubling if true. Moving up from 3,000 to 2,000 in one week only lines up with your statement if all phones that Roger's is ordering are for pre-orders, but we know that they have a number of phones for in person walk ins.
    02-10-13 09:44 PM

Perhaps this shortage is the work of BlackBerry themselves, as it makes for good press for there to be articles talking about stores selling out of the Z10. The shortages may be artificially created to generate a buzz.
    BINGO! You hit it right on the head there! We have a winner.
    02-10-13 10:08 PM
    That still doesn't explain the number of people waiting for their preordered Z10s a week past launch. Like most of us had stated, BBRY can't afford not to show good sales numbers in the 1st quarterly report.
    02-10-13 11:26 PM
    There is a shortage in some parts of the UK too. I ordered a Z10 from the same dealer who had sold me a 9900 in 2011. I was advised that it would be delivered in 2 days. This did not happen. Their delivery was cancelled and the lead time has now stretched to 17 working days. My guess is that dealers are less profitable channels than major network stores, and that is where their shipment has gone.
    02-11-13 04:30 AM
    Careful...I suggested the same thing in another thread and was told I have "issues". Anyone else see the irony?
    02-11-13 05:19 AM
    Yes, BB is creating a shortage. But just with Rogers. Nice logic.
    02-11-13 06:26 AM
    It takes time to ramp up production on an entirely new phone. BB was under the gun to get the Z10 out, so it is completely understandable that they didn't start with a huge stockpile. And BB does not right now have the resources to buy, borrow, or build a massive production capacity Samsung- or Apple-style.

And since the new phones are long term project, it is probably not a terrible thing that they are coming off the line somewhat slowly. Every new piece of hardware has teething pains. It is better, if glitches in the manufacturing process, quality control, or software turn up early on, they can be addressed at the point of assembly, before millions of phones are out there. It is bad enough when one reviewer gets a bad unit, and gets to write a snarky, dismissive rant (you've probably seen the one I'm talking about). If there were any fuel for a noisy, overblown "[hardware]-gate", it would be rough for BB at this point.
    02-11-13 09:20 AM
  20. world traveler and former ceo's Avatar
    super strong demand!!!
    02-11-13 09:47 AM
    Okay, so here's my anecdotal addition.

I just got off the phone with a BlackBerry BES sales rep. about an issue my company is having with Office 365. When we were talking about him coming in to talk about BES, I asked if he could demo a phone so that the exec might start considering upgrading our 700+ BB phones to BB10. He said he is still using a Alpha device himself and that the company is completely out of seed devices and they probably won't have more for a few weeks.

So, take from that what you may. But, I would think that BlackBerry would want to update their account manager phones as soon as they could to show off the new BB10. But, if they don't have the supply...well....
    02-11-13 10:43 AM
71 123