public functions relations within the company? How do you have such insight. I think you need to relax. Don't take things so personally. Just ignore it and continue using your non-bb device. Thats the best way to punish RIM.

I think the wake up campaign was genius and had its desired efffect.
    What was the desired effect?
    kennyliu likes this.
    05-31-12 09:50 PM
    What was the desired effect?
    Going viral. As for the message some people won't understand it. Same people who the iPhone 5 will be amazing with absolutely no knowledge of the upcoming product. Don't worry about it though.
    alnamvet68 likes this.
    05-31-12 10:06 PM
    Going viral. As for the message some people won't understand it. Same people who the iPhone 5 will be amazing with absolutely no knowledge of the upcoming product. Don't worry about it though.

Not worried at all trust me. The ad came off as if rimm is crying for help. Anywhoo I'm looking forward to the first bb10 device.

I seen all your magic tricks
    Abracadabralous
    My crowd gather around; it's the resurrection of Lazarus
    05-31-12 10:43 PM
    You clearly don't spend much time around lawyers. They all still use WordPerfect. Conveniently, BB OS can display WP documents and most attorneys carry BBs. So do most Bankers and Politicians.
    You can add to that list any group whose job requires confidentiality. I've also noticed lately an increasing number of celebrities sporting BB's again.
    06-01-12 12:14 AM
    Going viral.
    I really doubt that was the only intended effect. If it was, then my opinion of the RIM marketing team will fall even lower, and I did not even think that was possible anymore.

They would have wanted it to go viral to either (a) directly lead to increasing sales (b) build brand awareness (c) better their brand image (d) diminish a competitor's brand image (e) something else along these lines...

Which of these do you think they wanted the Wake Up campaign to achieve by going viral?
    06-01-12 06:34 AM
    I don't care what the media says as long as RIM keeps making phones I'll keep buy'em! IMO It certainly seems like an all out campaign to put RIM down. This site is loaded with trolls! What satisfaction do you get from bashing a device that you don't have, it's just weird!

The competition hates RIM because they patented a one of a kind keyboard that rocks! Have you ever tried to type on a touch screen? Makes me wanna smash the phone into a billion pieces!
    bigbmc26 and Chrisy like this.
    06-01-12 06:58 AM
    Take it from somebody who has worked there in the past. Major problem was that RIM never would listen to external suggestions, it was always "This is how its gonna be and its not going to change".

Also, rushing out new products before thoroughly testing them was another. I remember when the Storm was released to the public and had a major flaw with the ringtones where users couldn't save custom ringtones. The 1st gen Pearl was the same thing except a slight move of the trackball would cancel out the ringtone. Then there was the PB which had a major bug in the s/w and they were scrambling like mad trying to get a fix out, boy that was a bad day but I remember telling some friends that I had a feeling that would happen.

Don't get me wrong, RIM does make some good devices but they have to stop living in the past and come up with more inventive ideas and the departments have to work with each other, when I was there each department seemed to be its own little island with no communication to the outside world.
    06-01-12 08:02 AM
    Did anybody else see this article?
    I found it pretty interesting. Idk if it's true or not, but it's something to think about.
    RIM: An ex-insider on what will happen next : Canada's online magazine: Politics, entertainment, technology, media, arts, books: backofthebook.ca
    06-01-12 11:40 AM
    If it bleeds, it leads...
    06-01-12 12:11 PM
    I don't care what the media says as long as RIM keeps making phones I'll keep buy'em! IMO It certainly seems like an all out campaign to put RIM down. This site is loaded with trolls! What satisfaction do you get from bashing a device that you don't have, it's just weird!

The competition hates RIM because they patented a one of a kind keyboard that rocks! Have you ever tried to type on a touch screen? Makes me wanna smash the phone into a billion pieces!

Why buy the playbook if you're not a fan of touch screens?

Abracadabralous
    06-01-12 10:52 PM

Yes. In fact I'm typing on one now and I'm doing it as quickly and mistake free as on my 9900. Your point?

I got blisters on me fingers! from using Tapatalk.
    06-02-12 12:08 AM
    I really doubt that was the only intended effect. If it was, then my opinion of the RIM marketing team will fall even lower, and I did not even think that was possible anymore.

They would have wanted it to go viral to either (a) directly lead to increasing sales (b) build brand awareness (c) better their brand image (d) diminish a competitor's brand image (e) something else along these lines...

Which of these do you think they wanted the Wake Up campaign to achieve by going viral?
    You're opinion on RIMs marketing team in inconsequential. You don't seem to be a fan anyways. Can't please everyone. Another impressive thing is they didn't have a CMO at the time. I'll go with (f) none of the above. They are planting an idea, the seed of doubt. Making people question why they actually buy a products. If you actually look at BB7 and ios they are very comparable. It you actually use your phone mainly for communication BB7 wins hands down. It's not aimed to work on everyone, you're an example. But its a start. The other platforms weren't an over night success. It starts with an idea. I'll take a quote from Inception:

Dom Cobb: What is the most resilient parasite? A bacteria? A virus? An intenstinal worm?
    Arthur: Uh, what Mr. Cobb is trying to...
    Dom Cobb: An idea. Resilient, highly contagious. Once an idea has taken hold of the brain it's almost impossible to iradicate.

I think thats why the 'wake up' marketing bothers some people so much.
    06-02-12 01:40 AM
    You're opinion on RIMs marketing team in inconsequential.
    True.
    You don't seem to be a fan anyways.
    True. But I do want RIM to be successful. For competitive reasons, because BB10 looks great, and personally because a BB was my first smartphone.
    Can't please everyone.
    Another impressive thing is they didn't have a CMO at the time.
    Not sure how that is relevant when actually discussing the quality of the ad campaign.
    I'll go with (f) none of the above. They are planting an idea, the seed of doubt. Making people question why they actually buy a products. If you actually look at BB7 and ios they are very comparable. It you actually use your phone mainly for communication BB7 wins hands down. It's not aimed to work on everyone, you're an example. But its a start.
    In other words, they are building their brand image, and wanting to sell more Blackberries.
    I think thats why the 'wake up' marketing bothers some people so much.
    Or because it was just poor marketing.
    (1) For the longest time, people did not even think it was their marketing. Most of the credit and benefit was being accrued by Samsung.
    (2) It built hype towards a certain date, and then the big reveal was a silly website with scrolling text and a man talking. Reinforcing the negative media image that RIM is all talk and no action. It did not improve RIM's image, but only reinforced the negative sentiments (even if they may not be true). Overpromise. Underdeliver.

If BB10 was revealed at the end of the campaign, it might have worked, because it would have built a positive image of Overpromising, but still overdelivering. Unfortunately, the campaign, as it was executed was just really bad.

Unfortunately, it seems too many people in RIM were living in the same bubble that you are, where RIM can do no wrong (fortunately, Heins clearly seems to have changed that).

If all you say is true, why is RIM not as successful as its peers? According to you, their product is perfect, and their marketing campaigns are perfect. So why is it underperforming the market?
    kevinnugent likes this.
    06-02-12 03:06 AM
    Why buy the playbook if you're not a fan of touch screens?

Abracadabralous
    I use my BB to do most of my typing on the PB! I can bang out and fire off an email faster than on my PC/Mac! On a side note the PB touch screen keyboard is a lot easier to type on than any other tablet on the market including the iPad!
    06-02-12 01:05 PM
    Yes. In fact I'm typing on one now and I'm doing it as quickly and mistake free as on my 9900. Your point?

There is no point to make I stated MY opinion on typing on a touch screen, I DON'TLIKE IT!
    06-02-12 01:07 PM
    No, you presented your opinion as fact. Which it isn't.

06-02-12 06:39 PM

Why do you preset your opinions as facts?
    I can type just as fast on my iPhone as I do on a BB.
    It's cool to have an opinion but to state it as a fact just makes you sound bitter that you can't type on a touch screen. :|

Sent from my iPhone 4S using Tapatalk
    06-02-12 07:24 PM
    Why do you preset your opinions as facts?
    I can type just as fast on my iPhone as I do on a BB.
    It's cool to have an opinion but to state it as a fact just makes you sound bitter that you can't type on a touch screen. :|
    I'm sooooo glad you can type on a touch screen keyboard! Yeah I'm bitter alright... bitter towards a touch screen keyboard! This is all...
    06-04-12 01:09 PM
    public functions relations within the company? How do you have such insight. I think you need to relax. Don't take things so personally. Just ignore it and continue using your non-bb device. Thats the best way to punish RIM.

I think the wake up campaign was genius and had its desired efffect.
    I have a 9900, and I assure you I am totally relaxed. I have no idea what you are talking about as I don't wish to punish them on the contrary I want them to do well and that means improving their marketing functions, which is a common opinion here. I wonder if you are trolling?
    06-09-12 09:18 PM
    True.

True. But I do want RIM to be successful. For competitive reasons, because BB10 looks great, and personally because a BB was my first smartphone.

Not sure how that is relevant when actually discussing the quality of the ad campaign.

In other words, they are building their brand image, and wanting to sell more Blackberries.

Or because it was just poor marketing.
    (1) For the longest time, people did not even think it was their marketing. Most of the credit and benefit was being accrued by Samsung.
    (2) It built hype towards a certain date, and then the big reveal was a silly website with scrolling text and a man talking. Reinforcing the negative media image that RIM is all talk and no action. It did not improve RIM's image, but only reinforced the negative sentiments (even if they may not be true). Overpromise. Underdeliver.

If BB10 was revealed at the end of the campaign, it might have worked, because it would have built a positive image of Overpromising, but still overdelivering. Unfortunately, the campaign, as it was executed was just really bad.

Unfortunately, it seems too many people in RIM were living in the same bubble that you are, where RIM can do no wrong (fortunately, Heins clearly seems to have changed that).

If all you say is true, why is RIM not as successful as its peers? According to you, their product is perfect, and their marketing campaigns are perfect. So why is it underperforming the market?
    Like I said, it wasn't for you. But trust me, it was good marketing. Ingenious, viral, cheap, planted a seed. Don't worry thought, BB isn't for everyone.

Bigruss8

Re-read your own posts. You definitely seem to take personal offence and are quite uspet by RIMs marketing. You dont seem relaxed at all about it.
    Last edited by hurds; 06-10-12 at 01:57 AM.
    06-10-12 01:52 AM
    Like I said, it wasn't for you. But trust me, it was good marketing. Ingenious, viral, cheap, planted a seed. Don't worry thought, BB isn't for everyone.
    Can you provide any objective reasons/explanations for why it was good marketing? The post you quoted contains at least 2 reasons why I thought it was bad. Do you have any rebuttal to those points, or any points of your own to add? (and no, "planted a seed" doesn't count because that phrase doesn't mean anything in the context. You need to either elaborate on it, or give a better explanation).

So are you suggesting that the marketing campaign was intended to target only BB fans ("it wasn't for you"...."BB isnt for everyone")? Could you give me an idea of who you think the Wake Up campaign was targeting, and why it would work on the targeted demographic?

Let me discuss the qualities you mention
    1) Ingenious - in itself it is worthless. Just because something is ingenious does not mean it is good, useful or effective
    2) Cheap - you know what is cheaper? Doing nothing. So not sure why that is a positive without establishing that the campaign was a good one in the first place.
    3) Viral - Michael Richards's (the actor who plays Kramer on Seinfeld) racist rant was also viral. Pretty sure that wasn't something he was happy about. Without establishing the effect was positive, once again just being viral isn't helpful by itself.
    4) Planted a seed - Like I said before, it is impossible to tell what this even means, without further elaboration or context.
    06-10-12 03:45 PM
96 ... 234
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD