The demo showcased very little features, but i like most of them. The keyboard looks fantastic. I am tempted by it. Also one of the developers demo-ed a side swipe to get access to menu, which include sharing via twitter, facebook, bbm...etc. Which is great to see that the app are integrated as well. Curious to see more cascades framework in action. Can't wait for the phone to be released.
    05-01-12 10:07 AM
    I think RIM should have announced 1 phone that was going on sale shortly and then have more to come later on. I mean what better way to build your company and recognition back up then having a really awesome device out before the next batch of android and the next iphone, but it seems like announcing something and waiting months is what RIM is good at.
    05-01-12 10:16 AM
    I actually like what I am seeing. The 4.2 inch screen is an excellent choice(I hope they go with that for the final phone). Not too big and not too small.

I am a bit concerned with the keyboard though. I will have to try it out before making final opinion on it but there is no space between keys so it appears a bit crowded.

I also like the swipe to answer the phone call idea. Thats one thing I really like about the iOS and Android platforms as the buttons on my Torch are all the way at the bottom so its a bit clumsy to use.
    05-01-12 10:17 AM
    I actually like what I am seeing. The 4.2 inch screen is an excellent choice(I hope they go with that for the final phone). Not too big and not too small.

I am a bit concerned with the keyboard though. I will have to try it out before making final opinion on it but there is no space between keys so it appears a bit crowded.

I also like the swipe to answer the phone call idea. Thats one thing I really like about the iOS and Android platforms as the buttons on my Torch are all the way at the bottom so its a bit clumsy to use.
    I was thinking the same thing about the keys, hopefully they thought of that and worked on something to make the keyboard seem like it isn't crowded with the keys being so close together.
    05-01-12 10:25 AM
    I hope they keep in mind the small details, like Stop Ringer or whatever it is on the call screen. Etc.

But other than that. It looks awesome! Can't wait for BB10!!
    05-01-12 10:26 AM
    The real danger is Microsoft. WP is pretty close to what we saw on OS10 now and MS has no problem "borrowing" other peoples ideas.

Apple has it's style now and is not interested in any other radically different style. And anyway, iPhone fans would not be able to handle having multiple apps running.

It would be no surprise to see some of these ideas show up in Android next week.
    05-01-12 10:38 AM
    I was thinking the same thing about the keys, hopefully they thought of that and worked on something to make the keyboard seem like it isn't crowded with the keys being so close together.
    excerpt from a cnet article:
    "Like other virtual keyboards, the one offered by BlackBerry 10 is intelligent, and it can learn a user's patterns so that it knows which words to suggest. But the BlackBerry 10 virtual keyboard goes beyond simply learning which words people use more often. It actually learns how users tap the screen. And it adjusts how it renders certain letters based on someone's typing patterns.

For example, if someone mistakenly taps the "R" everytime he means to type an "E," the software shifts its rendering slightly to the right toward the "R" so that "E" is registered instead of the mistaken "R.""

I'm actually pretty excited about the phone right now. The size is great, 4.2" is more than sufficient for me, plus the high res display. According to the pictures on CB, the width of the phone is wider than an iphone, which probably is around the size of the Bold 9900. The keys actually looks sufficiently big enough for me. Plus with the system mentioned above, perhaps having no space in between keys might not matter that much. If there's predictive text input, it might matter even less. I am seriously considering giving up my Bold 9900's awesome keyboard (and i'm a huge fan of physical keyboard phones as shown in my previous posts on CB).

We all know what the market trends are, and apps are made to utilise the full width of the screen. Some apps on the playbook only runs in portrait mode, which makes me wonder how the physical keyboard version of BB10 will work.

UI looks good, display looks good, camera looks good. everything seems to live up to my expectation thus far.
    05-01-12 10:41 AM
    The real danger is Microsoft. WP is pretty close to what we saw on OS10 now and MS has no problem "borrowing" other peoples ideas.

Apple has it's style now and is not interested in any other radically different style. And anyway, iPhone fans would not be able to handle having multiple apps running.

It would be no surprise to see some of these ideas show up in Android next week.
    Hence the title of my thread. I hope RIM doesn't get late to its own party.
    05-01-12 10:43 AM
    Why the negativity when there is so much amazing news here?? What on earth will it take to make people like you happy?

For that reason I'm voting 1 star.
    05-01-12 10:52 AM
    Why the negativity when there is so much amazing news here?? What on earth will it take to make people like you happy?

Was that directed at me??
    05-01-12 11:06 AM

You cannot really win in a forum setting. Not everyone is going to be pleased as punch, no matter what information or teasers or screenshots they show.

Some people will ask for a feature, and the same person 6 months later is lamenting the fact that RIM included the feature.

You are only setting yourself up for a Trolling...LoL
    05-01-12 11:10 AM
    Personally Im super happy. RIM has shown great features. My worry is if Apple or Android copies and launches before them. Known to have happened before.

But as Kevin says, this is an entirely different device, so fingers crossed.
    05-01-12 11:14 AM
    Personally Im super happy. RIM has shown great features. My worry is if Apple or Android copies and launches before them. Known to have happened before.

RIM is between a rock and a hard place in that regard. They need to show enough to excite and entice developers, investors and the public without tipping their hand too much toward the competition.

My thinking is:. If this is is what they're willing to disclose, what amazements are they keeping quiet on until closer to product release?

05-01-12 12:05 PM
    RIM is between a rock and a hard place in that regard. They need to show enough to excite and entice developers, investors and the public without tipping their hand too much toward the competition.

My thinking is:. If this is is what they're willing to disclose, what amazements are they keeping quiet on until closer to product release?

Yes that is an intriguing question.
    I understand RIM needs to show something, my thread title is mainly in jest and to beat the haters to to get that title ...
    05-01-12 12:10 PM

Maybe not launch 6 months after introducing features then? Just one possible solution.
    05-01-12 12:10 PM
    Maybe not launch 6 months after introducing features then? Just one possible solution.
    Yes that would be the ideal situation. Launch a month or two after showing it off. Before the competition can collect its wits.
    Stewartj1 likes this.
    05-01-12 12:12 PM
    That would be immaculate turnaround time.
    05-01-12 12:12 PM
    RIM is in its timeframe, unveiling BB10 features and cascade beta.
    Now (wowed) devs can get used to tools and methods for the D-day.
    05-01-12 12:17 PM
    im so confused of my bb os7

Sent from my BlackBerry 9360 using Tapatalk
    05-01-12 12:24 PM
    Didn't we hear that iOS don't matter "mumbo jumbo" with the playbook, which was supposed to be innovative? I wonder what the excuse will be around this time next year when Blackberry 10 will be dead on arrival.
    tjioer likes this.
    05-01-12 12:25 PM
    This alpha device is genius because not only does it allow testing for developers to use for their apps but it gives a somewhat in depth view of what we could be seeing for the final product. So what if Android or Apple copy this, This is Not the final product. RIM is probably just seeing what the other makers will squander up but will no way be the same as the Final BB10 product.

RIM has some time to change up things once other makers go back to their drawing board.

it's like a decoy to the other makers.

I think RIM is holding secrets like someone on here said and I fully support that.

RIM is coming back!!

Sent from my BlackBerry 9900 using Tapatalk
    Stewartj1 and Chrisy like this.
    05-01-12 12:31 PM
    Didn't we hear that iOS don't matter "mumbo jumbo" with the playbook, which was supposed to be innovative? I wonder what the excuse will be around this time next year when Blackberry 10 will be dead on arrival.
    See that is neither fun nor nice...let people be excited, dont be jealous of their excitement...you know...just go away.
    Stewartj1, grover5, Chrisy and 2 others like this.
    05-01-12 12:32 PM
    Just watching the Blackberry World Keyboard and saw a demo of the amazing Keyboard and the wow camera function which can go back in time and Heins. Is saying there is more...
    Cmon RIM!!! You are three months away from launch and you are showing off all these cool features. The other fruit company will launch these features and tell the world they created magic...
    Having said that, the soft keyboard is awesome...just wow...
    Patent this already...
    You have soooo much faith in that fruit company if you think they will code and release these features before RIM and then declare them theirs after today.
    And yes; what gives with the thread title?
    05-01-12 01:46 PM
    With what RIM showed off today iOS doesn't matter. This can come out after iPhone 5 and it doesn't matter to RIM.

Don't you guys get it? RIM isn't trying to build a Apple killer. They don't have to. Apple can have their market, and RIM is carving out their own here for the BlackBerry People. People like me man... get stuff done FAST. They're building a phone that'll appeal to 1 in 5 people. Not 4 in 5. And that's FINE. It's not a smartphone market anymore.. it's a global phone market of smarter phones. RIM can have a hugely successful company building a phone for a segment of the market. I think they have their positioning finally figured out here.

BlackBerry totally has their priorities straight here.. build phones for people who have stuff to do and want to get it done. Flow experience rocks.

BlackBerry is seriously back baby.
    Nicely written.

I'll hold off on judging BB10 for now since I haven't seen much of it. All I've seen is a couple two minute clips really didn't show much, I would like to see more videos of the UI. Hopefully RIM will release more videos of BB10 in the near future.
    05-01-12 01:58 PM

I haven't seen all the video yet, but BB10 has a WP-ish look to it, which I for one, think is a good thing. I certainly like the smaller number but larger icons as opposed to having 36 tiny icons always staring you in the face when all you want is 1 or 2 right now. It did look like its own animal enough for me, though. I am intrigued by the virtual keyboard, and I am a physical keyboard guy.
    05-01-12 02:00 PM
105 1234 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD