Here are my thoughts:

1)
    Target market. Android having more than 80% of the world market means the PRIV is now competing on hardware and the security niche (not on ecosystem) within that market. BB10 isn't ripping away Android users in masses (unfortunately) so the hardware now makes the difference, and the security niche draws in the interest.

2)
    Stepping back into the consumer market means less work for more impact. Take 0.1% away from a billion Android unit market, that translates into 1 million device sales, more than BB10 this quarter. More market to go after...globally.

3)
    BBM. New distribution channel, new deployment mechanism. And I'm betting they will integrate BBM into absolutely everything on the device. Integration opens up usage, possibly increasing the user base, propagating its success. And I bet Blackberry has thought hard about integrated BBM functionality on the PRIV.

4)
    Hedge Android against BB10. Let's face it, BB10 is not saving the company. They will use us as guinea-pigs to constantly research how to best secure the Android ecosystem. Once they perfect this, they will immediately deploy it in masses to the enterprise space giving them
    additional revenue streams outside of BES.

5)
    Why the PRIV is a good move for Blackberry....-verizonphonesecurity002.jpg
    Its DIFFERENT. Really, go to any display, phones all look the same! Different will always gain attention and hopefully hardware sales will continue to remain an important part of Blackberry.

My $0.02
    johnnyuk, wincyUt and TCB on Z10 like this.
    10-02-15 06:38 PM
    Totally makes sense. Let's keep our fingers crossed.
    10-02-15 08:48 PM
    The Blackberry priv android is good move for Blackberry because in BlackBerry word they are 90 percent apps are Android which runs very slow in Blackberry 10
    The 3 things are good in Blackberry 10 which are Blackberry hub ,Blackberry security and physical keyboard there is a No another thing with catch people for Blackberry 10 they sad bb is productive but without apps there is no production so according to me it's a very good move for Blackberry and good luck to John Chan

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android
    Last edited by purana papi; 10-03-15 at 09:40 PM.
    10-03-15 04:28 AM
    I think it's the smart move by Blackberry and don't kid yourself, they where also being driven by their enterprise customers to develop an Android device.

Now they need to get it to market while the reviews are hot. I just hope they don't drag their feet on this one. I have my cash waiting and will buy one the day it's released, depending on the price of course.
    10-03-15 04:33 AM
    Move?

It is the incorporation!
    10-03-15 05:24 AM
    It's a test, just like BB10. Most new ideas fail. Doesn't meant BlackBerry shouldn't try. Execution is everything... that's the part always fell short with BlackBerry.

PassportSQW100-1/10.3.2.2639
    10-03-15 10:36 AM
    The Priv is ONLY a "good move " for BlackBerry if it sells well. Which from all indications it will. However BlackBerry has to continue with BlackBerry 10, we don't want Android as our Business isn't reliant on the apps such as angry birds or whatever.

Posted via CB10
    TCB on Z10 likes this.
    10-03-15 01:12 PM
    blackberry should have made this move years ago, it could have differentiated from the rest of Android OEMS by their unique designs and could have integrated security features. it might be too late now though since blackberry is used to charge a premium for their devices, and for the same amount you can get a similar or better speced phone by another manufacturer.

Sent from my ASUS_Z008D using Tapatalk
    10-04-15 01:31 AM
    Let's hope they don't drag their feet on this, iphone6s is already available in my market, and the other android devices recently announced.

People will not wait for BlackBerry irrespective the amount of hype.

Posted via CB10
    10-04-15 01:34 AM
    I am hopeful about the Priv. My son wants it, my daughter is looking at it as an alternative to her LG and my husband is watching it too as he hates his S5. I think it's about time BlackBerry made this bold move. I just hope it retains the great qualities of OS10 with some Android integration for customization. And the Google Play store, of course.

Posted via Classic
    10-04-15 11:54 AM