• I agree

0 0%
  • I disagree

1 100.00%
  • I couldn't read what you spelt

0 0%
  • Go stuff ur self you ******! 4ever!

0 0%
    I've come to the conclusion or should I say the understanding of the divide between physical keyboard lovers and those who love a full screen slab!

Now I will start with saying my view is based upon USA knowledge, and I'm being quite serious, sadly.

But (meaning no offense to anyone), here in America many intelligent and schooled observers have noted the demise of a good, sound education same as I.

Too many Americans are seriously illiterate, reading at best at a third grade level. I can personally vouch for the sentiment having worked as a public school teacher for three years in all grade levels.

So, to jump into the meat of it. The multitude of those Americans sorely lacking a sound education are drawn to the; emojis, and abbreviated words such as; U, Luv, 4. Even with spell checkers, which give choices, if your sorely lacking the knowledge of the written word. Your still incapable of choosing the correct word from the choices!

So they severely limit themselves to compact, abbreviated, emoji laden bits of communication. Therefore no need at all to ease detailed and lengthy paragraph's by use of a physical keyboard!

So I imagine the typical lover of the physical keyboard is most certainly at least a moderately educated person who has read quite a lot, maybe works at a desk, or in any kind of technical work requiring much reading and comprehension skills. IMHO
    06-25-17 07:06 AM
    Abbreviated text-speak is because of the T9 keypad.

And emoji's are used by individuals regardless of education level I assure you.

Education and mis-information is a large issue, don't get me wrong but I highly doubt education correlates with physical keyboard preference in this day-and-age. It's all personal preference , what tradeoffs someone wants and availability.

Virtual keyboards allow for simpler, slimmer designs, more versatility and have improved quite a bit since the days of the Pearl and the Treo. I fully expect the KEYone to still be a tough sell amongst my highly-educated peers because of various factors inherent to the portrait keyboard form-factor.

I've seen people bang out eloquence on a virtual keyboard, I'm guilty of a "k" on my Priv, etc. In fact, this was all typed using a virtual keyboard, and not because I was feeling "more illiterate."
    Uzi, Troy Tiscareno and BigBadWulf like this.
    06-25-17 07:35 AM
    I've come to the conclusion or should I say the understanding of the divide between physical keyboard lovers and those who love a full screen slab!

Now I will start with saying my view is based upon USA knowledge, and I'm being quite serious, sadly.

But (meaning no offense to anyone), here in America many intelligent and schooled observers have noted the demise of a good, sound education same as I.

Too many Americans are seriously illiterate, reading at best at a third grade level. I can personally vouch for the sentiment having worked as a public school teacher for three years in all grade levels.

So, to jump into the meat of it. The multitude of those Americans sorely lacking a sound education are drawn to the; emojis, and abbreviated words such as; U, Luv, 4. Even with spell checkers, which give choices, if your sorely lacking the knowledge of the written word. Your still incapable of choosing the correct word from the choices!

So they severely limit themselves to compact, abbreviated, emoji laden bits of communication. Therefore no need at all to ease detailed and lengthy paragraph's by use of a physical keyboard!

So I imagine the typical lover of the physical keyboard is most certainly at least a moderately educated person who has read quite a lot, maybe works at a desk, or in any kind of technical work requiring much reading and comprehension skills. IMHO
    Was a device with a physical keyboard used to write this?
    06-25-17 09:26 AM
    Paragraph's should be paragraphs.
    Your should be you're.
    Just saying.
    But seriously. I consider myself educated, and type better on a physical keyboard, but will no longer use one because it causes too much pain for my arthritic thumbs!! There are many reasons to use a VKB!!!

BB 9000>Q10>Z10>Z30>Z30>
    Classic>Dtek50>Dtek60
    Uzi likes this.
    06-25-17 09:34 AM
    Well, some might argue the merit but multiple sheepskins say i'm formally educated. lol. BUT, as an "Engineer In Motion" i'm certainly NOT desk bound. lol. Real, old school, engineers get dirty! IMO. That means my communications tools must be well suited to "Work In Motion"... (puns intended lol) Which, in turn, means inevitably working a communications device in one hand while simultaneously performing other tasks with the other hand. Even as simple as carrying a briefcase or a coffee mug. lol. Try as i have, no VKB handset has, to date, proven itself as single handed friendly as my PKB 9900. Period. IMO.
    06-25-17 10:30 AM
    There are millions of "educated" users using VKB just fine.

Posted via CB10
    xandros9 likes this.
    06-25-17 10:36 AM
    There are millions of "educated" users using VKB just fine.

I think the dozens of physicians and researchers I work with who are productive on PKB would be offended.

Posted via CB10

Posted via CB10
    06-25-17 10:39 AM
    As for "modern education" (don't get me started) here's how my Grand Daughter described "common core math"...
    Attached Thumbnails Why Physical Keyboard..-common-core-math.jpg  
    eiruvrav likes this.
    06-25-17 10:44 AM

I think that is the perception of American society however I think its a generalization and society has a whole has moved into that direction not a particular class of illiterate people!
    06-25-17 10:49 AM
    As for "modern education" (don't get me started) here's how my Grand Daughter described "common core math"...
    Yeesssss they are literally trying to make our kids stupid on purpose.
    06-25-17 11:13 AM
    Yeesssss they are literally trying to make our kids stupid on purpose.
    If you feel that way then advocate for not teaching to tests to secure funding.

Posted via CB10
    06-25-17 11:16 AM

Glad this is just your own opinion.
    xandros9 likes this.
    06-25-17 11:48 AM
    I'll happily accept the warning I'll get from the mods, but it has to be said: this post is complete and utter bull****.
    xandros9 and Troy Tiscareno like this.
    06-25-17 01:26 PM
    I am not an educated person and still prefer the pkb
    Long live klassik an passpork!

Posted via CB10
    MikeX74 and xandros9 like this.
    06-25-17 03:12 PM
    Of the people who claim to be literate, how many know how to use apostrophes properly? Not the OP, who wrote "your" instead of "you're" and used and apostrophe for a simple plural.

I don't know if it's autocorrect, or laziness or lack of knowledge, but to an old fogie grammar nazi like me, it's grating. I use a pkb with autocorrect disabled so that I don't come across as semi-literate. And it takes me far less time to write an error-free paragraph on a pkb than on a vkb.
    06-26-17 02:52 PM
    Of the people who claim to be literate, how many know how to use apostrophes properly? Not the OP, who wrote "your" instead of "you're" and used and apostrophe for a simple plural.

I don't know if it's autocorrect, or laziness or lack of knowledge, but to an old fogie grammar nazi like me, it's grating. I use a pkb with autocorrect disabled so that I don't come across as semi-literate. And it takes me far less time to write an error-free paragraph on a pkb than on a vkb.
    I'm all for grammar Nazi's as someone who used to proofread NIH grant submissions it's a pain in the a$$ but sometimes you just got to let it go.

By the by "used and apostrophe" got caught up in your paragraph

Anywho, OP, I use keyboards because I can't type on those glass screens. I mean I seriously can't get the touch screen copier to function sometimes due to it probably thinking I'm a popsicle as my fingers are always cold so I clearly have no hope with touch screen typing. I'd also have to look at the screen if I did that verses typing by the feel of the keys now.
    06-27-17 12:09 AM
    I'm all for grammar Nazi's as someone who used to proofread NIH grant submissions it's a pain in the a$$ but sometimes you just got to let it go.

By the by "used and apostrophe" got caught up in your paragraph

Anywho, OP, I use keyboards because I can't type on those glass screens. I mean I seriously can't get the touch screen copier to function sometimes due to it probably thinking I'm a popsicle as my fingers are always cold so I clearly have no hope with touch screen typing. I'd also have to look at the screen if I did that verses typing by the feel of the keys now.
    How much did that grammar affect your view of a grant if you didn't like it very much versus one with you really liked?

Posted via CB10
    06-27-17 06:15 AM
    How much did that grammar affect your view of a grant if you didn't like it very much versus one with you really liked?

Posted via CB10
    Grammar wasn't the issue, it was whether the topic was boring or not to me.
    06-27-17 10:35 PM
    Sadly, I don't feel any smarter, for reading this thread.

PS - There's no mention of Wulfanese™ in the poll, so I didn't vote
    06-27-17 10:45 PM