Ah, Mr. Smilies is at it again, spreading more misinformation.
    pantlesspenguin and reeneebob like this.
    07-03-12 09:20 AM
    I often hear things now like "BlackBerry sucks" and "I hate BlackBerrys" (I live in heavy iPhone territory) but the problem is that people compare their new iPhones and Android devices to the older BlackBerry models such as OS5 (when RIM was in its prime) and earlier instead of BB7 or even BB6 (which I will admit sort of lacked better specs to match the software).
    !
    I agree people do that a lot. I often see posts on other forums from people asking stuff like: "Which is better, the blackberry curve 9300 or the iphone 4s?".

But I also think that what a lot of people have a poblem with is the proportion between price and specs.
    For example, on my carrier, the Bold 9900 is more expensive, or at least, on the same price range that other phones with front facing cameras, faster processors and higer specs. The apps and games are a plus.

When you compare RIM's flagship device with its equivalent from another platform, or even a mid-range device, you'll see Blackberry is still lacking.

So it's not only that people are comparing them to older and obsolete devices, it is also that the latest models are lacking as well.

Do we need a front facing camera, all the apps, games, features and those specs? Maybe not really but that's what each person needs to decide according to their needs and likes.
    The problem for RIM is that, right now, it doesn't have THAT Blackberry for those who want all those things together, and those are actually A LOT of people.
    07-03-12 09:25 AM
    The main challenge from blackberry is that the tools not toys slur doesn't work anymore. Devices have become work/play.
    I think it's worse than that - in 2012, with the apps available on other platforms, "tools not toys" is effectively a religious position that has not moved with the times. When a blackberry user tries to tell someone that they can't possibly be productive with an android, wp7 or iphone, what they do not think is "wow, i've got to get a blackberry" but rather "Wow, this guy is really deluded" and then when the same person tries to convince them later on to try BB10, they have already blown their own credibility.
    rdkempt and Yaceka like this.
    07-03-12 09:26 AM
    Katiepea summed it up pretty well for a lot of people.

What I don't understand is all the members who think they need to go out of their way to "save" everyone from using something inferior, in their mind, or to inform users how bad blackberry is. That's like going to someone else's church to convert them to your church which is right and yours is wrong.

Maybe some people still use them because of Canadian pride or whatever reason. Some use them because it is what they like and prefer. I see nothing wrong with those reasons or the reasons someone may like android or whatever else.

I do however like reading about different platforms and civil discussions about them.
    To be honest, I kinda used to be one of those members who think I could "save" people if I saw them spreading misinformation about other platforms (particularly Android because I have experience with it), if the task in question was something I knew it could do. For example, I'd see posts where people tried Android then came back to BB because they couldn't find a way to do something, when they just didn't take the time to figure out HOW it worked on Android. I'd think "Oh wow if only they knew HOW that worked, it would've made their Android experience so much better!" Now, particularly after using OS7 for awhile, I'm over it. I went through the exact same thing, and fully admit I left while within the learning curve. I'm still eager to get back into BB7, only on a 9850 instead of a 9930.

I'm just sick to death of all the platform bashing (on both sides of the fence) and even worse the bashing of PEOPLE that use different platforms (looking at you, anthogag). I mean really, how insecure do you have to be?

ETA:

Oh my God. RIM could have been saved years ago by putting a front-facing camera on their phones? You guys are geniuses.
    In a sense, this is true. The last couple years have really been a spec race. Since Nov 2010 I've had a FFC on my phone. Do I use it every day? Nope. Every week? Nope. Monthly? Maybe...but just to take the random self-pic. It's been said time and again, though (mainly pertaining to apps) that just because someone might not use a particular feature every day, it's still nice to have when you need it. It was awesome being out at a happy hour with some friends and being able to conference in my brother who had just moved to Tucson a few weeks prior via Skype. Everyone passed my phone around took turns saying hi. And it'll be nice to have when my future neice/nephew is taking their first steps, and Auntie Penguin happens to be at the grocery store.
    Last edited by pantlesspenguin; 07-03-12 at 09:51 AM.
    07-03-12 09:41 AM
    Man, after reading Katie's post....I was about to sell my sensation cheap!!! I am keeping it.
    Not selling my 9810 either..
    pantlesspenguin likes this.
    07-03-12 12:34 PM
    Man, after reading Katie's post....I was about to sell my sensation cheap!!! I am keeping it.
    Not selling my 9810 either..
    I miss my Sensation sometimes. It was an awesome phone. Then after a freak accident that smashed the screen, I got 2 bad warranty replacements in a row and jumped to the newly released Amaze. Had the Sensation not shattered, and had T-Mo not screwed me over when I switched my plan, I might still be using that phone as well.
    Astroglide likes this.
    07-03-12 12:37 PM
    I miss my Sensation sometimes. It was an awesome phone. Then after a freak accident that smashed the screen, I got 2 bad warranty replacements in a row and jumped to the newly released Amaze. Had the Sensation not shattered, and had T-Mo not screwed me over when I switched my plan, I might still be using that phone as well.
    oh that hurts! A friend of mine paid 65 bucks to have it replaced. Do you still have the Amaze? By the way, I like your sig..
    07-03-12 12:43 PM
    We are behind and now with the delay, no change.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9800 using CrackBerry forums application
    07-03-12 12:54 PM
    I find they say that for 1 of 2 reasons.

1) Ecosystem for apps that they want that ios and android have like words with friends,draw something,instagram,netflix,video chat. All which they want on a phone and not a tablet.

2) The went from using a blackberry curve 8330 that was 4-5 years old and upgraded to a new smartphone and think all things like the browser and apps run just as slow on a newer blackberry as they did on a 8330 because they never picked up a newer berry.

Those are usually the main reasons I find people trying to bash blackberry.

Sent from my Bold using Tapatalk
    07-03-12 01:03 PM
    I admit, I've been using BB's for easily 8+ years and after reading katiepea's post, I almost felt the need to go out and try an android ha. People gotta stop drinking that RIM koolaid...I would love to do some of those features she mentioned.

I had a 9900 and the usb port broke so I couldn't charge the device. Now I thought about just buying a charger that charges the actual battery but if I ever needed to upgrade my OS to a leaked one, I was SOL. Being able to switch OS's without cords would've been highly useful to me. I would love a native cloud storing feature from RIM. I would love to over/undercooked my processor to my liking. Very cool feature indeed.

I love my BB but I do at times feel like I am missing out on a lot of functionality that other platforms may offer and that's why I truly thank katiepea for that informative post. Much more useful than the redundant argument most BB fanbois use like "tools not toys" or "BB has email and security". Nice to know my BB has great security features but it still doesn't equate to a better user experience.
    07-03-12 01:15 PM
    oh that hurts! A friend of mine paid 65 bucks to have it replaced. Do you still have the Amaze? By the way, I like your sig..
    Do you get what I'm referencing in my sig??? If so, I think you'd be the first!!! I sold my Amaze when I switched to Verizon. Got an awesome deal, too. I sold the Amaze for $350 and only had to pay $50 for the Rezound on a 2 year contract (they were running a special that ended THE DAY I decided to jump to Verizon).
    07-03-12 01:19 PM
    I find they say that for 1 of 2 reasons.

1) Ecosystem for apps that they want that ios and android have like words with friends,draw something,instagram,netflix,video chat. All which they want on a phone and not a tablet.

2) The went from using a blackberry curve 8330 that was 4-5 years old and upgraded to a new smartphone and think all things like the browser and apps run just as slow on a newer blackberry as they did on a 8330 because they never picked up a newer berry.

Those are usually the main reasons I find people trying to bash blackberry.

Sent from my Bold using Tapatalk
    Agreed with #2 all the way.

I will admit, going from my 8900 to a 9900 was like night and day it terms of he performance. Problem is RIM did barely any marketing of he new OS7 devices which is why a majority of BB users are still on OS5. Even though OS7 isn't enough to compete with the competition, OS5 isn't anywhere in the ballpark of competing, especially when it booted up like a prehistoric laptop lol....that alone made me like OS7 much better....but thats another problem. That shouldnt have been a killer feature for an OS released 2011 lol.
    07-03-12 01:24 PM
    I'll tell you why they don't like bb phones: sure, lots of people love blackberry keyboards, but you know what a full touch phone user thinks when they see blackberrys? "what the f*** are all those buttons for."
    07-03-12 01:27 PM
    People in these days need a 3GHz six-cored phone to call their mommies and RIM does not seem to get it. RIM IS DEAD!

#sarcasm
    07-03-12 01:34 PM
    its a human thing I guess... "mine I better than your's"
    are we talking about phones or ego's.
    all products can make phonecalls, send email or other text.
    If I like my BB... why can an android or Iphone user not respect that?
    why are there so many Android and Iphone users on a BB site/forum? I don't get it.....

Sent from my BlackBerry 9810 using Tapatalk
    maddie1128 likes this.
    07-03-12 01:37 PM
    Wow. So after claiming you can do all of those things on your 9810, you admit you can only do one of eight things. Why did you even respond to katiepea's post when your response is a simple "tools not toys" regurgitation?
    East, meet Anthogag. Lol

Sent from my SGH-I747M using Tapatalk 2
    pantlesspenguin and Yaceka like this.
    07-03-12 01:39 PM
    why are there so many Android and Iphone users on a BB site/forum? I don't get it.....

Because I have to sell and support them, own 2 and up until last week owned 3 (sold my 9900). That's why. Plus I've been here 4 years and have friends.

Sent from my SGH-I747M using Tapatalk 2
    07-03-12 01:41 PM
    Like reeneebob said, lots of people have been here for years and have friends. There are a lot of people here that use multiple platforms, including BB. There are also several people who may not currently use BB, but still want RIM to succeed and are looking into getting a BB10 device when one drops. Just because someone falls into one of these categories doesn't mean they are automatically a troll.
    07-03-12 01:47 PM
    Do you get what I'm referencing in my sig??? If so, I think you'd be the first!!! I sold my Amaze when I switched to Verizon. Got an awesome deal, too. I sold the Amaze for $350 and only had to pay $50 for the Rezound on a 2 year contract (they were running a special that ended THE DAY I decided to jump to Verizon).
    "Red vs Blue" "Blood Gulch Chronicles"?
    07-03-12 01:56 PM
    at people buying phones to play games and watch videos ..... pure stupidity
    07-03-12 02:00 PM
    "Red vs Blue" "Blood Gulch Chronicles"?
    You googled that, didn't you :P.
    07-03-12 02:01 PM
    Wow. So after claiming you can do all of those things on your 9810, you admit you can only do one of eight things. Why did you even respond to katiepea's post when your response is a simple "tools not toys" regurgitation?

You can't or don't care to read...I said I could care less about switching the OS or streaming my entire music collection to my phone...

This is the kind of stuff android users spew when bashing BlackBerry.

I responded to the post because she's trying to make it seem like these extraneous features are the make-or-break functions for a smartphone
    07-03-12 02:01 PM
    Ah, Mr. Smilies is at it again, spreading more misinformation.

I don't spread misinformation...that's your job
    Last edited by anthogag; 07-03-12 at 02:15 PM.
    07-03-12 02:04 PM
    at people buying phones to play games and watch videos ..... pure stupidity
    I doubt if anyone buys a phone just to play games or watch videos, but games/videos are nice when one is stuck on a plane or train, or waiting in a doctor's office.

BlackBerry has games too. This Brickbreaker thread is still popular.
    pantlesspenguin and Yaceka like this.
    07-03-12 02:04 PM

I thank android and apple users that come on this forum for opening my eyes to a whole new world of advanced technology.
    jivegirl14 likes this.
    07-03-12 02:05 PM
311 12345 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD