Why people buy android vs. Why they buy blackberry-img_00000023.jpg

Why people buy android vs. Why they buy blackberry-img_00000024.jpg
    10-25-12 02:05 PM
    I dig it!!!
    10-25-12 02:09 PM
    Why I buy Android: It suits some needs that BB doesn't currently cover.

Why I buy BB: It suits some needs that Android doesn't currently cover.
    hpjrt, Alex_Hong, ritesh and 6 others like this.
    10-25-12 02:27 PM
    Why I buy Android: It suits some needs that BB doesn't currently cover.

Why I buy BB: It suits some needs that Android doesn't currently cover.
    I'm sure that's an honest appraisal, but... could you be just a LITTLE more specific?
    10-25-12 02:36 PM
    I'm sure that's an honest appraisal, but... could you be just a LITTLE more specific?
    Well, right now I carry a BB for BBM and my Android is my daily driver. I love having a device with a big screen, and I've gotten to be pretty speedy at touch-typing. I'm also a huge fan of widgets. I can see my most important information without having to actually open any apps. I'm looking forward to BB10 when I can shut down my 2nd line and have the best of both worlds.

Also, to the OP, I'm sure the post was meant as a joke but I honestly try to attract as little attention as possible when I use my phones. I'm a tiny woman and probably a good target for theft.
    bungaboy and Alex_Hong like this.
    10-25-12 02:45 PM
    Yes anyone can say they get a device because it meets their needs. But this marketing ad has caught android red handed admitting what i think most blackberry users have always felt was the truth.
    10-25-12 02:49 PM
    Yes anyone can say they get a device because it meets their needs. But this marketing ad has caught android red handed admitting what i think most blackberry users have always felt was the truth.
    So the BB marketing campaign to storm and Apple store shouting "wake up" wasn't to attract attention?
    10-25-12 02:53 PM
    To be fair, it's a Bell add, not an Android add. It's for their new exclusive Red Galaxy S3. They're advertising it entriely because of its colour which is not available on other carriers.

Carriers have done similar ads for Blackberry as well. I remember an add for a Pink Blackberry that was all about how "pretty" and attention grabbing it was.
    10-25-12 02:54 PM
    Here comes another "BB's are tools not toys" thread

You do realize that's a Bell ad, and not an Android ad, right? And we're all waiting for BB to "start something"..anything..anytime..hopefully...one day..."Bueller"..."Bueller"
    richardat and reeneebob like this.
    10-25-12 02:58 PM
    Bell believes this is a good way to attract users to samsung. They feel getting attention is what users want.
    10-25-12 03:01 PM
    Bell believes this is a good way to attract users to samsung. They feel getting attention is what users want.
    And that's one carrier's take. Tampax wants women to think that their monthly visit from aunt flo can be enjoyable if they use their product. Is that the truth? Heck no!
    10-25-12 03:05 PM
    Market research done by bell marketing that suggests to them users would be attracted to a phone that gets them attention. This is more important than any one users opinion.
    10-25-12 03:13 PM
    So you admit it has nothing to do with user experience then.

So If the same ad portrayed a white 9930 or something, what would you say then? If bell thought that it was stylish enough to advertise it as such, would that mean all blackberry users are daft fashionistas?

Compelling logic right?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I717 using Tapatalk 2
    pantlesspenguin likes this.
    10-25-12 03:13 PM
    Market research done by bell marketing that suggests to them users would be attracted to a phone that gets them attention. This is more important than any one users opinion.
    You have absolutely no way of proving that.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I717 using Tapatalk 2
    10-25-12 03:15 PM
    Red phone with a pretty woman on it. Sex sells I guess.

It is a BELL Canada advert. Crackberry isn't placing it. It's a paid RoboAdvert.

I don't have a problem with that nor do I think there is a conspiracy either.

If I could pick up a red SIII for $200 I would. Just to play with it. I think they are too big for my needs. I have a SIIx and that is as big as I find comfortable.

It's all business. No biggy.
    pantlesspenguin likes this.
    10-25-12 03:19 PM
    I'm really not sure if you're trying to be serious here. Aren't MOST things marketed to people by saying they'll get attention? Fragrances, clothes, cars, etc. But now that one carrier insinuates that buying a red SGS3 will get attention, this is enough to convince you that all Android users demand attention?
    TgeekB likes this.
    10-25-12 03:25 PM
    I think they are too big for my needs.
    TWSS.
    bungaboy and mikeo007 like this.
    10-25-12 03:26 PM
    Primarily I'm a Mac user. But my PIM are through Google (email, contacts, calendar, etc.). So in a sense I could go with an iPhone for hardware to complete the ecosystem, but Google items are sometimes a pain with iOS, so ideally Android would be best suited for me, since it houses popular supported apps, direct Google apps, and plenty of entertainment apps and usages compared with Blackberry. However, Blackberry works well with Google PIM and some apps. If it made economical sense to have two smartphones or if business and personal phones were needed, I would have an Android and a Blackberry. But since that is neither here or now, I'm a Blackberry user, with an iPad, a Mac, a PC and Google TV.
    11-06-12 09:58 PM
    I'm really not sure if you're trying to be serious here. Aren't MOST things marketed to people by saying they'll get attention? Fragrances, clothes, cars, etc. But now that one carrier insinuates that buying a red SGS3 will get attention, this is enough to convince you that all Android users demand attention?
    Yup, I think its quite opposite really. Android is more of a geek/tinkerer OS and Apple is the attention grabber with the iconic iPhone. You see an android device in public and most people will be like which one is that?

Sent from my ASUS Transformer Pad TF700T using Tapatalk 2
    11-06-12 10:07 PM
    I'm not totally convinced by Android yet. Yes I see the sense in it and I like its flexibility compared with iOS and BBos but to me there is something still a little basic and not quite slick about it.

When upgrading my phone I did seriously look at the Samsung Galaxy S III but ended up choosing the iPhone 4S (2 days before the launch of the 5, but that's another story!) because the iPhone just worked for me as a personal, everyday functional phone. As an aside I also found out yesterday the usefulness of Apple as I had to have my phone replaced due to the soundboard not working. It was done there and then in the Apple Store no dramas, I doubt that would have been the case with Samsung having to send it away etc.

Anyway I digress.

Android just doesn't do it for me, it doesn't appeal to the engineer in me whereas iOS and BBos do and they just work in the best way for me.
    11-07-12 04:29 AM
    Smartphones have reached the masses, and it's one device employers are still finding out how to regulate during the work day. I can guarantee you where I work the android devices are used mainly socially and for media consumption. I carry a Bb, and our President has a basic flip phone. I'm walking my daughter long distance through setting up a curve I gave her. After switching over from Droid, I guarantee this is a task. People are used to the more graphical ui nowadays. Many are also like my wife, who ask, "can i watch Netflix"? My thinking with things like that are how often do you really want to?
    I was on Droid, but got tired of battery pulls because of sluggish operation; enjoyed the ecosystem, until I found out how hard it was to find a useful app. I do believe they will continue to sell well, though. The way the masses have used smartphones has evolved through the years.
    11-07-12 06:20 AM
    I use both Android and BlackBerry, and develop for both. My perspective might be a little different, but here is what I have seen.

I got an Android device because it filled in gaps that my Blackberry couldn't. On my Android device, I use Skype, Square for credit card processing, mark up PDFs, sign PDFs, and print. Most of that isn't available on the current BlackBerry OS.

On my Blackberry, I use BBM, and email like crazy. Both devices have RDM+, which gives me remote access to my computers. One of the concerns I have with my 9700 it's running out of memory. Anytime I look at adding an app, I have to consider how much memory it is going to take, and if I'll have to uninstall something else.

It'll be interesting to see what BB10 gets, as far as apps. The device is great, hardware-wise, and the gesture system will be a winner. It's just the apps that will make or break it, though.

From a developer prospective, BB10 is the easiest. Developing for BBOS was a slight pain, since you had to test for CDMA/GSM differences, different OS versions, as well as all the different screen resolutions. Android it's worse, since you not only have to account for all the different OS versions and screen resolutions, and there are a lot of different devices.
    11-07-12 06:30 AM
    I buy Android devices because there are apps that I rely upon that are unavailable on BB. Two of those apps, for example, are the OPM.gov app and the DC Circulator app. I also buy Android devices because they handle all sites I visit. There are times when I get the "your device is not supported" error message while on the BB. The Android is more nearly a mini computer, which I've used extensively while on travel to access sites and media that I am unable to access on my BB. Example, I can access the full CNN site more easily than on BB. Finally, I am able to tweak my Android devices to almost exactly how I want them, with the exception of the profileand notification settings available on BB.

I buy BB devices because I have my banking apps on it, because I have loved ones who will not use any messenger other than BBM, and because I love the depth of profiles and notifications. Finally, the exceptional keyboard.

What other people think of me is the least of my considerations when purchasing a device. I don't buy a device to attract anyone's attention. I'm too far removed from high school for that train of thought.

Oh.....as far as a red device......I bought a red 8310 because I liked it. I would have bought a red 9810 if they'd had it. I would have bought a white 9900 if AT&T would have carried. BB didn't have a red 9810 or a red 9900, and they didn't even have a white 9900 on AT&T. In other words, I buy the device I want first, the colour of the device is dependent on availability on my carrier. If the device I want is available on red, I will choose red if it's a red a like. If I get a Lumia 820, it will most likely be red, although I like the yellow.

For me, the colour of the device is absolutely unrelated to seeking attention from anyone.
    Last edited by qbnkelt; 11-07-12 at 07:16 AM.
    11-07-12 07:04 AM
    My Android device, a Samsung Galaxy Blaze 4G, has a mere 4" screen and is probably one of the least attention-getting of all Android devices. But I have it because I use certain Google services: gmail, calendar, and docs. These work very well on Android, of course. I read Kindle books a lot, so the Kindle app is important. With a Mugen 2000 mAh battery, I get good battery life on it too. It's not much bigger than my 9900. Dropbox and Box work much better on the Blaze. I type a bit faster with Swype than I do with the 9900 keyboard.

On the other hand, I like the keyboard shortcuts of the 9900, and the overall quality of the device. I like the fact that RIM, unlike Google, is not primarily a data mining company. If BB10 offers functionality comparable to Android, I'll gladly go back to full-time BB use. It's just that I've gotten used to doing things that either I can't do on the BB (e.g., highlight passages in Kindle books; upload files to Box; collaborate on Google docs) or can only do with difficulty.
    11-07-12 07:58 AM
    For me CURRENTLY, Android fits the bill. I like to tinker and customize. I am able to be more functional, and prefer cloud computing. I'm a proponent of device convergence, and I think XDA is the best development portal in mobile computing today. And I am fairly well invested in Google's ecosystem.

For me, it just makes sense at this point, but I consider myself sufficiently platform-agnostic. So much so, that I'm very willing to give BB10 a fair chance to steal new back.

I think Android's overall popularity is based upon the price range, availability, diversity and the ecosystem. You can get different form factors in different carriers for cheap, and get the apps and accessories (mostly) you want
    11-07-12 08:14 AM
84 123 ...