Here comes another "BB's are tools not toys" thread

You do realize that's a Bell ad, and not an Android ad, right? And we're all waiting for BB to "start something"..anything..anytime..hopefully...one day..."Bueller"..."Bueller"
    And you do realize that the majority of those ads are based on your browsing history, right? I needed a new swimsuit for the pool at the gym. I go to my favorite online swim shop. For the next few days, the majority of ads I saw were for their store.
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    11-07-12 11:14 AM
    And you do realize that the majority of those ads are based on your browsing history, right? I needed a new swimsuit for the pool at the gym. I go to my favorite online swim shop. For the next few days, the majority of ads I saw were for their store.
    I realize that, and I wasn't the one who posted the picture to begin with..so it had nothing to do with my browsing history.
    11-07-12 11:28 AM
    I realize that, and I wasn't the one who posted the picture to begin with..so it had nothing to do with my browsing history.
    I know that seeing as how I can read. I was expanding on what you wrote.
    11-07-12 11:32 AM
    I know that seeing as how I can read. I was expanding on what you wrote.
    Well I can see how Rick could've took it as you responding to him though. Just saying.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I717 using Tapatalk 2
    Rickroller likes this.
    11-07-12 04:03 PM
    I've asked a few of my friends why the have Android devices and the response isn't a 'love for the platform'. The response is: "it's cheap".

The manufacturers are trying to outdo each other ... better phones and lower costs. The customer wins. Plus, they have almost the same apps as iOS. and it costs a lot less.
    Roo Zilla and richardat like this.
    11-07-12 04:08 PM
    Adblocker installed and active would have stopped this thread in it's tracks.
    11-07-12 04:16 PM
    I've asked a few of my friends why the have Android devices and the response isn't a 'love for the platform'. The response is: "it's cheap".

The manufacturers are trying to outdo each other ... better phones and lower costs. The customer wins. Plus, they have almost the same apps as iOS. and it costs a lot less.
    What exactly is "cheap" about Android? Unless they're running low cost budget phones, they go for as much as any iPhone, WinMo, or BB does under contract.
    11-07-12 05:57 PM
    What exactly is "cheap" about Android? Unless they're running low cost budget phones, they go for as much as any iPhone, WinMo, or BB does under contract.
    You can often get a decent android phone for less than competitors across many price categories. I had friends who were choosing HTC devices over BlackBerrys or iPhones because they were so cheap, for example.
    11-07-12 06:10 PM
    Primarily I'm a Mac user. But my PIM are through Google (email, contacts, calendar, etc.). So in a sense I could go with an iPhone for hardware to complete the ecosystem, but Google items are sometimes a pain with iOS, so ideally Android would be best suited for me, since it houses popular supported apps, direct Google apps, and plenty of entertainment apps and usages compared with Blackberry. However, Blackberry works well with Google PIM and some apps. If it made economical sense to have two smartphones or if business and personal phones were needed, I would have an Android and a Blackberry. But since that is neither here or now, I'm a Blackberry user, with an iPad, a Mac, a PC and Google TV.
    And at near future, you will find that you only need BB10 handset to carry over business and personal life. Thank's to Blackberry balance and BES 10 which makes this possible

about Mac, PC and google tv, I think you still need it, hee.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9020 using Tapatalk
    11-07-12 06:31 PM
    Market research done by bell marketing that suggests to them users would be attracted to a phone that gets them attention. This is more important than any one users opinion.
    Sigh. NOPE...but common sense undoubtedly told Bell that users wanting a RED android phone probably would like attention. I can't even begin to address the other problems with the thread premise....where to start???
    11-07-12 07:04 PM

YEP. I feel certain this is a large segment of the Android users. That is not of course to say there aren't many well-informed, savvy users who prefer the Android platform for it's features, ideology, or other things....but simply to say, the "masses" just want a "cool", phone with a big screen, that goes on the net, and cheaper is better.
    11-07-12 07:08 PM
    I will never for the life of me understand the argument that a high end Android phone is somehow of lesser quality or otherwise a cheaper version of any other high end platforms device. I will never understand this perception. Though it's something I haven't heard people state in a while.

11-07-12 07:43 PM
    I will never for the life of me understand the argument that a high end Android phone is somehow of lesser quality or otherwise a cheaper version of any other high end platforms device. I will never understand this perception. Though it's something I haven't heard people state in a while.

I think you and Rick Roller seem to be talking about two different things.
    1.Rickroller: there are many, many "cheap" android phones, that at various points in time were cheaper alternatives to an iphone. In the developing countries, it's the cheap android phones which are expected to dominate soon. I don't think anyone was saying there weren't more/very expensive android phones as well!

2.Ynomrah, I think that feeling mostly came from comparisons to the iphone, which, like it or not, has set a high-mark for workmanship, and quality "feel". The Samsung's obviously were front-and-center for Android, and the plastic feel of their phones was often a subject of criticism, so that didn't help. In any case, again, the high-end android phones are certainly "expensive" as well!
    11-07-12 07:51 PM
    Cheaper high spec'd devices are starting to become more common. The new HTC Windows Phone 8X is $99, my Atrix HD started at $99(which I purchased for one penny on Amazon with my upgrade!). The specs match up to the "top" devices out there.

I'm on Android because it is currently the best OS for me. I have my apps, large HD display, fast processor, almost limitless customization and many choices to choose from in regards to form factor.

I will play with BB10 when it drops, if I like it more so be it.

Sent from my rooted AT&T ATRIX HD using Tapatalk 2
    11-07-12 09:55 PM
    The only people insisting that Android phones are "cheap" are BlackBerry users. I think they must do it to make themselves feel good. It's funny, when the top selling high end phone today is still the Samsung Galaxy SIII. Nothing cheap about this phone. Unlike overpriced Blackberries it's nice to find a range of prices with Android so that phones are affordable. I'm selling my Bold tomorrow. Still a nice phone but after My SGIII I don't know how I managed on my Bold.

Sent from my SGH-I747M using Tapatalk 2
    11-07-12 09:56 PM
    I bought a BlackBerry because I needed mobile email. That's still the only thing that I absolutely can say makes me more productive day to day. Most anything else is fluff for me. I have other devices but tend to not use them much once I learn the ins and outs. I find tinkering with gadgets a bit boring at this point but I need to stay up on things for my job.
    11-07-12 11:23 PM
    The only people insisting that Android phones are "cheap" are BlackBerry users. I think they must do it to make themselves feel good. It's funny, when the top selling high end phone today is still the Samsung Galaxy SIII. Nothing cheap about this phone. Unlike overpriced Blackberries it's nice to find a range of prices with Android so that phones are affordable. I'm selling my Bold tomorrow. Still a nice phone but after My SGIII I don't know how I managed on my Bold.

Sent from my SGH-I747M using Tapatalk 2
    Not every Android is of SG3 quality build, cheap Androids are cheap looking and built.
    11-08-12 01:23 AM
    YEP. I feel certain this is a large segment of the Android users. That is not of course to say there aren't many well-informed, savvy users who prefer the Android platform for it's features, ideology, or other things....but simply to say, the "masses" just want a "cool", phone with a big screen, that goes on the net, and cheaper is better.
    What is the ideology of Android, mine as much data as possible? That's the reason I would never touch it, not even on a tablet, no matter how good they might be.
    11-08-12 01:32 AM
    Yes anyone can say they get a device because it meets their needs. But this marketing ad has caught android red handed admitting what i think most blackberry users have always felt was the truth.
    That marketing ad is for a exclusive colour FOR THE CARRIER (Bell Mobility) . It's an ad for Bell, not Android. The BB ad is for RIM, not a carrier.

Apples and oranges. Your claim is based on inaccuracies.

I've got blisters on me fingers!!! from using Tapatalk 2
    11-08-12 01:41 AM
    And for the record, I sold my titanium Curve the minute Bell had the exclusive on the red one.

I likewise sold my blue SGS3 the minute I saw the red because the red is gorgeous. I like red. I didn't get it for attention (although annoyingly I do get stopped and asked about it, but I've made sales off it so I guess Yay!). I got it because I have a thing for red. If it was in purple I'd be screwed.

I paid full price for an iphone because it is white. I did the same for the white 9900. I suppose Kevin is a mindless marketing victim for his irrational love for white phones too. I guess I'm in good company.

I base it on colour. And I'm looking hard at that red and yellow Lumia, let me tell you.

Last edited by reeneebob; 11-08-12 at 02:16 AM.
    Alex_Hong likes this.
    11-08-12 01:48 AM
    And for the record, I sold my titanium Curve the minute Bell had the exclusive on the red one.

I likewise sold my blue SGS3 the minute I saw the red because the red is gorgeous. I like red. I didn't get it for attention (although annoyingly I do get stopped and asked about it, but I've made sales off it so I guess Yay!). I got it because I have a thing for red. If it was in purple I'd be screwed.

I paid full price for an iphone because it is white. I did the same for the white 9900.

I base it on colour. And I'm looking hard at that red and yellow Lumia, let me tell you.

Yep, marketing and advertising clearly works.
    11-08-12 01:56 AM

Tapatalk broke ignore. Lovely.

Apparently you think that someone having a favorite colour for 34 years is "advertising and marketing" working. Any other nuggets you care to share? Only fat manly chicks like red, use large phones and wear large watches?

11-08-12 02:22 AM
    What is the ideology of Android, mine as much data as possible? That's the reason I would never touch it, not even on a tablet, no matter how good they might be.
    You are being data mined by browsing the crackberry website, also by doing a bing search, google search, yahoo search any search. Even if you use firefox with all of its security plugins. Talk about browsing on the playbook, where you dont even have the option to reduce the amount of trackers that stick to you. Any commercial website, will probably at least, have one tracker. Buy something online, you will get data mined like h_ll.

But sure, thats Google's #1 job, ad serving, they are the gods of gathering data. However, if thinking that you are free of data mining by using your blackberry phone or playbook, you are in for one rude awakening, because even RIM data mines, browsing a website is being exposed to data mining. Really, there is absolutely nothing you can do unless you disconnect from the internet entirely.
    11-08-12 02:23 AM
    It doesnt matter if its for a specific colour or not. Doesnt matter if its only one carrier or more. Bottom line is that somewhere, at least one company, has solidified my belief that getting attention is what others believe android (gs3 in this place) owners make heir decision to buy on.
    11-08-12 02:35 AM
    Ive never been to android central or looked up anything to do with bell or android, or samsung, or this phone. Only tech site i come to is cb
    11-08-12 02:36 AM
84 1234