So we hear about more downsizing and John Chen states that he is ready to toss in the towel if mobile devices don't sell better. So why doesn't BB offer to sell the Q5 in the US as a prepaid device? You know by now you can't crack the Big Two. Why not offer an alternative OS that sells next to low end Windows Mobile (which gained ground by offering the Lumia 520). Stop trying to consider yourself "strictly business" or high end only and start making inroads with your OS. Once folks start comparing your OS with other staid versions from the Big Two, you may actually start seeing some high end sales.
    02-07-16 10:19 PM
    I think the sprinkling everyone has heard this past weekend was the cast-off droplets from the BB10 towel being thrown across the ring. Soon will come the splat of the towel landing on the mat.

There will be devices around for years to come. But the verdict is in. They did some awesome things, but lost their heart. And when you lose heart, the music isn't quite as sweet as that for victory...
    I think the sprinkling everyone has heard this past weekend was the cast-off droplets from the BB10 towel being thrown across the ring. Soon will come the splat of the towel landing on the mat.

There will be devices around for years to come. But the verdict is in. They did some awesome things, but lost their heart. And when you lose heart, the music isn't quite as sweet as that for victory...
    Carjackd and Shadowyugi like this.
    02-07-16 11:23 PM
    As I'we written many times

They will fail because they want so.

A company that since launched OS 10, forgot itself core business, trying to follow other waves, being the last in that ocean... and as last was destined to remain... is a selfkilling company

They had the market of business and professional users and secure server communications for emails.

Instead than make advertising campaigns aiming to make the business world to know the productivity and the power of the new HUB... They went for who know what.

Yes we are in the Era of sharing and multimedia, but professionals and businesses people don't care about that.

They care much more about productivity ...
    A powerful database that will allow to make cross queries in the various contacts and in the HUB.

The best thing they have been able to do?
    Make the call list as short as zero. 100 call list events is like 2 or 3 days call list length for someone that works with the phone. While this should last forever, a business man with a lost call form a number not in the contacts, must be able to search if he has ever had a communication with that number and surprise the caller when calling back: "hello dear returning customer, it is since the far 8 june 2013 that we don't ear you" (I give you the idea hopefully). Instead this is allowed for sms only O_o?!!?

About multimedia and sharing. Again. Wrong communication. The sharing HUB on OS 10 is powerful as the communication HUB, but they forgot to share its concept as for the communications HUB.

Do they know comparative advertisement???

The most silly example (if nothing is changed meanwhile) an iOS user that wants to check income whatsapp events must enter in the whatsapp... app. And the same for twitter or linkedin

This is only the edge of the iceberg

If I were their CEO in the right moment, BlackBerry were now on the roof :-)

Do they know communication? Instead to surf the wave... They had the Sony event, when Sony got hacked for the movie by Koreans. Sony managers ordered their IT staff to go to the basement and exhume and resurrect their Blackberriessssss you understand?? If I were their Board Director, the same day of the news, I would have invested 10% of available funds for an advertising campaign with focus on that news.

They will dive... because they want so.

Posted via CB10
    Last edited by Corsari; 02-08-16 at 12:12 AM.
    02-07-16 11:48 PM
    What's the question again?
    Anurag Dabholkar likes this.
    02-08-16 08:37 AM
    So we hear about more downsizing and John Chen states that he is ready to toss in the towel if mobile devices don't sell better. So why doesn't BB offer to sell the Q5 in the US as a prepaid device? You know by now you can't crack the Big Two. Why not offer an alternative OS that sells next to low end Windows Mobile (which gained ground by offering the Lumia 520). Stop trying to consider yourself "strictly business" or high end only and start making inroads with your OS. Once folks start comparing your OS with other staid versions from the Big Two, you may actually start seeing some high end sales.
    You can buy the Q5 from Amazon and use it on a prepaid plan. It also was available last year from other retailers. It was available on ShopBlackBerry too. Did you miss that?

Posted via the Diva's beautiful Red Passport!
    02-08-16 12:32 PM
    Thank you Denise in LA. But you only help to prove my point. Take a look at the cost of a Q5 on Amazon versus a Q10. The cost difference is about $20-$30. Why would anybody want to purchase a Q5 when they can get the flagship version for $30 more. Especially when the Q5 is unlocked but NOT carried by any US carrier. If the cost of a Q10 today is less than $200, then why not drop the price of the Q5 to something more reasonable on a prepaid network in the US market? And don't watch your product be sold by secondary vendors. Work with US carriers to sell direct from BB. Configure the phone for the US market. Concede that Passports and Privs are now your flagships. But get customers familiar with your OS using US prepaid carriers. Thanks.
    02-19-16 02:38 AM
    Gave this thread a more relevant title.
    02-19-16 04:57 AM
    The Q5 has been on sale many times as a prepaid in Canada over the past few years. Usually in the $130 CAD, range, which is less than $100 USD. I don't think BlackBerry is the problem here, but the carriers. The carriers may just not want to sell them because they don't want to support them or can't support them. In support I mean call in technical support and warranty repairs.

In the case of Canada, the prepaid carriers offering them are subsidiaries of the major carriers and already carry and support BlackBerry phones. They already have the Q5 in their product line up, just put it on sale every now and then.
    02-19-16 08:53 AM
    If they wanted to make more Q5's it would cost them more to manufacture them then they could sell for. Didn't the Q5 debut at like 500 USD? Just like the Z10, most were likely sold at a massive loss. Especially when they were down to $99.

Posted via CB10
    Bbnivende likes this.
    02-19-16 09:46 AM
    delete
    02-19-16 09:47 AM
    1. The Q5 is already being sold at a loss - a substantial loss of over $100/device.

2. BB doesn't get to decide if pre-paid carriers want BB phones - that's up to the carrier. Those carriers buy (from manufacturers) the phones they think they can sell and which will bring in customers to use their services. Clearly, outside of Canada, the pre-paid carriers don't seem to think the Q5 will be effective for them.
    02-19-16 01:44 PM
    Clearly, outside of Canada, the pre-paid carriers don't seem to think the Q5 will be effective for them.
    Troy:

It is probably more accurate:

Clearly, inside the USA, the pre-paid carriers don't seem to think the Q5 will be effective for them.

I am sure in many of the other countries in the world, the Q5 would sell pretty quick if highly discounted. In the Case of Canada, it is usually Telus, sometime ShopBlackBerry, and when they go on sale, they are sold out within hours of it being mentioned on CrackBerry. In particular, when BestBuy lists them on their site and you can order them without getting a contract.
    02-19-16 02:02 PM
    There might be a market for cheapie PKB'S but little in the way of profits. Expanding the BB10 base should have been pursued in 2013.
    02-19-16 05:41 PM
    There might be a market for cheapie PKB'S but little in the way of profits. Expanding the BB10 base should have been pursued in 2013.
    And right now, BB's biggest need is profitability, not growing the user base.
    02-19-16 05:54 PM
    Do you even know what productivity is?

Posted via CB10
    02-19-16 06:43 PM
    BlackBerry trying to dump an overpriced 2013 phone with a moribund OS on carriers is madness.

BlackBerry can't even get launching the same phone on multiple carriers at the same time right in the US, let alone trying to convince them that anyone would buy the Q5 without specifically seeking it out.
    02-19-16 06:46 PM
    I love my Q5. It ain't perfect though. Most bemoan the small 8gb onboard storage. My biggest complaint, however, is actually that the gps takes too long to lock on to satellites for for exercise tracking.

Posted via CB10
    02-19-16 06:57 PM