I have beena Blackberry Pearl user for quite some time and I love it... love the size, love suretype, and love the quickness with which you can get things done is such a tiny package.

I am a member of Verizon's Customer Council which means from time to time they send me free phones they would like our opinion on. Each and every time I have always gone back to the pearl after using the phone long enough to get my opinion settled on the new deive.

Well, they just sent me the storm and while I like it... and think I may end up keeping it as my primary device for a while, there are a few things that bug me about it.

A) it is huge... not good for someone that carries their phone in their pocket
    B) Touchscreens are over-rated, it is much quicker and easier to navigate and get things done with the trackball, why they didn't just include it with an OS that was designed and optimized for one makes no sense to me.

What do I love about the Storm??
    A) The camera is amazing and takes the best shots I have seen from a camera phone. The flash is powerful enough to take pictures in a pitch black environment.
    B) The SCREEN!!!! this is what I really think is attracting everyone to the device. It is beatiful, large, bright, and easy to read in any environment. Without it, I think the Storm would largely be a huge failure. The input method is OK, the software is OK, everything is just OK... but I just can't let go of that big beautiful screen.

What I really wish was an option was taking all the great things about the Pearl, and combining them with a big beatiful screen. A 2.8" or so high-resolution non-touch widescreen could be packed into a Slider form factor in a device about the same size as the Pearl and it would be a HUGE hit. Keep the 3.2MP camera and the orientation sensor... and it would be perfect.

Photoshop of what it could look like.

11-26-08 02:44 PM
    Interesting concept, I think 3 things would have to be done
    to make that a functional unit.

1) It would need to slide higher (I know it's only an example) or else
    that top row of keys will be a pain, especially for people with long nails.

2) Attention would need to be paid to balance. With the screen
    up I would think it would be a bit top heavy

3) As long as there is a way to keep the slim profile (or close)
    of the current Pearls that would be a nice unit. I'd definitely
    take that over the Pearl Flip
    11-26-08 06:33 PM
    Question...how'd you get on the Verizon Customer Council? lol
    11-26-08 06:37 PM
    Nice concept- I agree this would have been a better idea than the fip.
    11-26-08 06:51 PM
    I like the idea of there being the touchscreen as well as the keys so that you wouldn't be completely dependent on touch! I would buy it in a heartbeat.
    11-26-08 09:48 PM
    Question...how'd you get on the Verizon Customer Council? lol
    They contacted me from Howardforums... and no, they are not adding new members.
    11-27-08 12:53 PM
    Awww shucks

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    11-27-08 12:54 PM
    I agree too but it has to keep a track ball and touch screen back up for quick access to mail would be ok

11-27-08 03:54 PM
    This would be a sweet phone, or maybe if it slide sideways and you could have a full qwerty keyboard but then idk how the trackball, send, end, or blackberry buttons would be
    11-27-08 05:52 PM
    This would be a sweet phone, or maybe if it slide sideways and you could have a full qwerty keyboard but then idk how the trackball, send, end, or blackberry buttons would be
    I agree with Teesh. Having it slide down in the landscape mode would be a great idea especially with the full QWERTY.

Also, the trackball (sunken like on the 8220) could go just above the "2" or in the middle in landscape mode.

Good thinking here and I believe RIM should take interest.
    Last edited by BlackBerryBob; 11-27-08 at 06:07 PM.
    11-27-08 06:05 PM
    That I can't see working. The slide out portion would be 1/4" to 1/2" smaller than
    the front of the phone. That I think would make for a cramped (at best) and
    unworkable (at worst) keyboard.
    11-27-08 09:36 PM
    That's a good lookin phone

And a really good idea. People would really dig that. Send a photo to RIM! lol

Sliders need some more styleand that looks perfect
    Nice PS work

11-27-08 09:48 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD