As I was looking for an add on keyboard I noticed that every one on the market requires the drivers to be
    downloaded to a pc then transferred. This is a ridiculous situation. I am buying an accessory for a device
    completely capable of downloading the drivers directly and the manufacture of the peripheral makes me use a
    PC to get the driver? That's like going to a car dealer and being told you can buy the car but have to go to the
    tire store for the tires and the engine store for the engine.
    05-07-09 05:59 AM
    As I was looking for an add on keyboard I noticed that every one on the market requires the drivers to be
    downloaded to a pc then transferred. This is a ridiculous situation. I am buying an accessory for a device
    completely capable of downloading the drivers directly and the manufacture of the peripheral makes me use a
    PC to get the driver? That's like going to a car dealer and being told you can buy the car but have to go to the
    It's my understanding that the chance of a download failing OTA is very high; esp with drivers and things of that nature. Less corruption occurs by downloading to PC.
    05-07-09 06:09 AM
    How is downloading a driver any different than any other file? They are all just zero ones.
    I'm curious as to what makes a driver file different than say a video or audio file.
    05-07-09 06:16 AM
    How is downloading a driver any different than any other file? They are all just zero ones.
    I'm curious as to what makes a driver file different than say a video or audio file.
    Well for that, I'll have to let someone who knows more about zero and one answer that for you.
    05-07-09 06:33 AM
    There shouldn't be a problem having a driver be available OTA. The one thing that might be causing this it that BB requires some validation of the driver and hardware before installing, for security purposes. Then again someone could write a malicous app and apps are installed OTA so who knows

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    05-08-09 07:31 AM
    That's like going to a car dealer and being told you can buy the car but have to go to the
    That is probably one of the worst analogies I've heard yet. Your dillema is nothing like buying a car at the dealer and going to another place to pick up wheels somewhere else and engine somewhere else. You situation is like someone buying a car at the dealer and then going somewhere to have tint installed or having a better alarm installed. Makes sense to me...

05-08-09 09:00 PM
    It seems to me that you're getting angry at RIM when your feelings should be directed at the keyboard manufacturers.

And it's up to each company to decide how they distribute their drivers. If you want an OTA download then you should let them know.

Lastly, they may be ones and zeroes but a couple of misplaced or lost pieces of code would render the software corrupted and useless.

05-08-09 09:13 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD