Well here everyone is celebrating the Torch 9800! I love the concept behind it. However, why no apps2sd on account of the fact there is only 512mb of ram for apps and the OS6 (i believe the resources are shared). So how is it with OS6, so many people celebrate it, all the while it is still a minimum of 5 years behind Windows Mobile 6, and can not even compete with the features of an iPhone.

Now the flaming begins, and please let me douse the flames, I hate iphones, (until they come out with a torch style), Windows Mo is well just like other Windows unreliable but IMPROVING, but now there is this Android pest.... It seems to me the people at RIM are sleeping at the wheel, a new browser is the biggest improvement in the OS6, great thats wicked the browser sucks on all other iterations.

Please someone enlighten me as to why Blackberry continues to sell? I know of the security and push email... but I am finding no real incentive to lock in to another 3 year deal for a phone that is based on 5 year old technology, has limited number of useful apps and not a single decent GPS System for free ummm Google Navigation for Android comes to mind. Even the Bell GPS System is garbage, slow and not worth even a 1.00 per month forget the 10.00 they want. I want one car device, not 2 - 10!
    09-18-10 07:39 AM
    BB still sell because people like the OS, battery life, don't really mind not having the fastest processor and like the push email.

There is a chance that if Verizon had offered the Torch I may still be a BB user. They may grt me back as a customer one of these days. They just need more free apps, a touch screen with a keyboard on a carrier other than ATT, and slightly higher performance hardware.

All that being said, their battery life is hard to beat, which could be their excuse for being reluctant to increase the specs too far too fast.
    09-18-10 08:43 AM
    The lower end models sell like crazy because of BBM.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    09-18-10 08:53 AM
    I am thouroughly amazed that any Curves sell at all, given that they're EVDO rev 0, a standard that was essentially obsolete ~3 years ago when most dumb phones were even rev A capable.
    09-18-10 08:59 AM
    The lower end models sell like crazy because of BBM.

They sell like crazy because of BBM or because they are cheap/BOGO/free? I know a lot of people with lower end models and they didn't get them because of BBM. BBM is proprietary software, your contacts must have BBM for it to be useful. BBM just started to really be marketed here too (all the new commercials).
    09-18-10 09:05 AM
    I am thouroughly amazed that any Curves sell at all, given that they're EVDO rev 0, a standard that was essentially obsolete ~3 years ago when most dumb phones were even rev A capable.
    Both the 8530 and 9330 are Rev. A capable.

09-18-10 09:16 AM
    Well here everyone is celebrating the Torch 9800! I love the concept behind it. However, why no apps2sd on account of the fact there is only 512mb of ram for apps and the OS6 (i believe the resources are shared). So how is it with OS6, so many people celebrate it, all the while it is still a minimum of 5 years behind Windows Mobile 6, and can not even compete with the features of an iPhone.

Now the flaming begins, and please let me douse the flames, I hate iphones, (until they come out with a torch style), Windows Mo is well just like other Windows unreliable but IMPROVING, but now there is this Android pest.... It seems to me the people at RIM are sleeping at the wheel, a new browser is the biggest improvement in the OS6, great thats wicked the browser sucks on all other iterations.

Please someone enlighten me as to why Blackberry continues to sell? I know of the security and push email... but I am finding no real incentive to lock in to another 3 year deal for a phone that is based on 5 year old technology, has limited number of useful apps and not a single decent GPS System for free ummm Google Navigation for Android comes to mind. Even the Bell GPS System is garbage, slow and not worth even a 1.00 per month forget the 10.00 they want. I want one car device, not 2 - 10!
    As far as I understand, apps2sd has only been available on Android via rooting the phone and then installing this app..which "tricks" the OS into thinking it's saving the app internally rather than to the external memory (this may have been made standard via the 2.2 FROYO update however). While this is an awesome ideal from a consumer standpoint, from a business standpoint the ability of "hacking" the OS is a nightmare for security reasons (and should be a concern amongst consumers, but most don't seem to worry about others hacking their phone).

And obviously because iPhone doesnt even offer an external memory slot (why would they when they can make money from limiting the consumer's choice ), so this doesnt even apply to them.

And from my understanding (i could be wrong tho) BB apps are much less memory intensive as they are for other platforms. Where one app may use up 10MB on one platform, the BB app would only use up 1MB (just throwing numbers out for examples).

People love their Blackberry's for lots of reasons. Simple push email, great copy/paste functions, BBM, familiar OS, customizable Themes, and for alot of others. Yes, alot of the same functions can be made available on other platforms, but sometimes alot of work is required out of the box to get the phone set up to function similiar to how BB's work right out of the gate. Meaning you'll need to install alot of various apps to get the same function as you can off a BB (but i believe it can be done, and then your enjoying many of the same features as well as better hardware).
    09-18-10 09:30 AM
    As far as I understand, apps2sd has only been available on Android via rooting the phone and then installing this app..which "tricks" the OS into thinking it's saving the app internally rather than to the external memory (this may have been made standard via the 2.2 FROYO update however).
    Yup, no hacking required if you have Froyo.
    09-18-10 09:39 AM
    Both the 8530 and 9330 are Rev. A capable.

Um... It could be wrong, but the brochure I have right in front of me from VZW lists the 8530 as rev 0. Are you sure that is incorrect? Various other websites also state the 8530 is rev 0. RIM only lists it as EVDO capable which is technically correct but meaningless since rev 0 and rev A are both EVDO specs.
    09-18-10 09:46 AM
    Um... It could be wrong, but the brochure I have right in front of me from VZW lists the 8530 as rev 0. Are you sure that is incorrect? Various other websites also state the 8530 is rev 0. RIM only lists it as EVDO capable which is technically correct but meaningless since rev 0 and rev A are both EVDO specs.
    Well that's rather confusing. When I looked up the 9330 to compare it to the 8530, everything I read said they were both on the Rev. A network.

BlackBerry Curve 3G 9330 coming to Verizon's business customers September 16th (Phone Arena News)

Verizon announces affordable BlackBerry Curve 3G smartphone

Edit: Looks like those sites are wrong. I looked the 8530 up to see if it had Rev. A or not and it turns out it doesn't. My bad.
    Last edited by Karmaloop; 09-18-10 at 10:46 AM.
    09-18-10 10:41 AM
    Yup, no hacking required if you have Froyo.
    Good to know! Thanks avt
    09-18-10 10:46 AM
    Good to know! Thanks avt
    No problem.

I personally do not use the feature since I have 8GB dedicated to apps, but on the older/lower spec devices it is awesome. It really comes in handy.
    09-18-10 10:57 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD