BB has already released 2 phones with square screens and they were definitely not as polarizing in opinions and commentary. Is it just because its bigger? I don't get it.
    07-29-14 10:04 PM
    The media doesn't like BlackBerry and the square screen is just another reason they have to pick on them.
    07-29-14 10:08 PM
    You didn't know? The hate train keep on truckin'!

Choo! Choo!
    07-29-14 10:14 PM
    1 to 1 ratio that big does look off.
    BKA22, matt0135 and sati01 like this.
    07-29-14 10:28 PM
    With the smaller square screens the assumption is that people aren't using them for media consumption. However, the larger screen is likely to be used for media but somewhat awkwardly.
    lift likes this.
    07-29-14 10:39 PM
    I don't think it's the square screen (there have been many, many phones with square screens). It's the stubby look of the shortened keyboard, and the sharp corners that make the whole thing look square, and "geometrically basic". Almost as if something a kid would have drawn with black crayon when asked to draw a BlackBerry... lol

I think it's fine,.. but still, can't help but to think it looks a bit funny and stubby.

Posted via CB10
    Jakob Greve, sati01 and lift like this.
    07-29-14 10:48 PM
    Meh, let them talk.

It will get attention, and that's what's important.

Like it or hate it, as long as some people take a look at it, and are st least intrigued or interested in what BlackBerry has to offer, it's a win.

Blackberry will not be able to compete by doing the same thing, they have to push to be truly unique, in a way that the competition won't follow.

Posted via (hopefully) a passport A10
    07-29-14 10:53 PM
    They secretly love it. That's why.

Posted via CB10
    07-29-14 10:55 PM
    I am getting one. I like the attention.

From my ? phone
    07-29-14 10:58 PM
    The media isn't making a big deal about it. It's BlackBerry that said it's "hip to be square"
    agp101 likes this.
    07-29-14 11:04 PM
    It is the width of the device . Wider than all other smart phones as far as I know.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using CB Forums mobile app
    lift and Shadowyugi like this.
    07-29-14 11:06 PM
    Haven't you heard? It's quite large. It's square. It's gonna be awesome!

Q10SQN100-1/10.2.1.3247
    Jiggy1971 and acovey like this.
    07-29-14 11:14 PM
    There is one thing for sure, when you buy one and people see you using it they will know what it is and they will talk about it. It's definitely not just another iPhone clone in a sea of androids.

The GIF Exchange C001B7B16?
    07-29-14 11:16 PM
    Yeah. Kind of like that motorcycle with two wheels in front and one in the back. I think they've got that market all to themselves.
    07-29-14 11:20 PM
    I think it still really looks awkward as a phone, out of the norm, but I really hope people give it a chance or just try it out.

Posted via CB10
    07-29-14 11:24 PM
    Here is a blurb from an article written by Larry Dignan (ZNET). He had a chance to test out the Passport at today's Security Summit. Article Titled : Blackbery's Passport: Crazy enough for work?
    ---------------------------------------------------------
    After my initial view of the Passport, my comment was simple: "This is crazy enough to work." You could amend that statement to be "for work." I could also be more optimistic because I had low expectations about the Passport. In either case, I give BlackBerry credit for thinking outside the candybar shape of most phones.

I had expected to snicker at the Passport, But then again I used to snicker at Samsung's Galaxy Note devices and other smartphones with large screens. Now I'm actually carrying one.
    ----------------------------------------------------------

"BB POWERED" C001C1D66
    07-29-14 11:27 PM
    Don't gripe. It means they are not saying BlackBerry doesn't make phones anymore.

Posted via CB10
    ediggity likes this.
    07-29-14 11:28 PM
    There is one thing for sure, when you buy one and people see you using it they will know what it is and they will talk about it. It's definitely not just another iPhone clone in a sea of androids.

The GIF Exchange C001B7B16?
    Exactly.

My wife (a hospital pharmacist and Q10 user) at first was very much against the idea of even trying out a Passport. Recently things have changed slightly after all my attempts at showing her the demo videos, pics, etc. She still feels the corners are too sharp ("what if they rip my pocket?"),.. but today she said... "if I took that thing out of my coat pocket in front of a doctor... they would totally say something about it."

Not sure if it'd be a good something, or a bad something... but it would definitely be noticed. You almost get a feeling that this is their solution to the lack of marketing budget... make the Passport a walking billboard (took it almost too literally though).

Posted via CB10
    Senor Wright likes this.
    07-29-14 11:30 PM
    People don't like change, and more importantly, people don't like BlackBerry. If this was a Apple product. It would be dubbed "innovative". With BlackBerry, however, that is not the case. I'm not usually the one to speak like this, but in this case it's true.

Posted via CB10
    dbiv5445, Shadowyugi and MiyakSk33 like this.
    07-29-14 11:32 PM
    ....who cares...this Passport is going places (hop on its going to be one wild ride)
    07-30-14 12:01 AM
    They will hate BB and bash them until BB starts the turn around and becomes profitable and then they will worship BB and say how they always loved BlackBerry, etc
    07-30-14 12:08 AM
    What I see is widespread panic among fanbois of other platforms.

Haven't you noticed that there is a sudden influx of iphone and android supporters ( I must admit that their graps of English is so impressive. They know how to fight internet forum wars obeying all the rules, but to irritate their opponents to the core). Comments like " Crackberry is not a BlackBerry fan site" or " I am merely helping another crackberry brother/sister with relevant information about Android /Apple/Windows" etc. are evidences for the existence of such cyber warriors.

I think BlackBerry Passport shook the other platforms to the core. I also think that the assessment of Samsung / Apple supporters is that BlackBerry passport will be a pretty decent success, and it also will attract application developers towards BlackBerry OS 10. Couple it with the slow but steady raising numbers of BlackBerry Z3. There seems to be a real good factor to worry. Obviously the other platform warriors don't want this to happen. So what you would do in such situation?

1. Monitor every post with a keyword "Passport". Once seen, jump in and fire comments declaring how better is the latest android / iOS. Flood the post with irrelevant data and divert attention to somewhere.

2. Convince, confuse or plain scare away the curious newcomers who show even a slight interest in BlackBerry Passport. (“you know, candy crush does not work". "android applications running in Passport drains battery", "it is only 2013 specs", "BlackBerry is Deaddddd...!!" ).

3. Cyber bullying of moderate BlackBerry supporters and ensure their silence - people who don't like to get into pissing contests.

I think there are many more tactics they use to dissuade anyone from buying a BlackBerry and bring the company to its knees. I could notice only some tactics by looking at the recent posts in the last weekend.
    07-30-14 04:31 AM
    ... because they know the obscure screen proportions will condemn the Passport to poor software compatibility and display issues in just the same way it currently does with the Q10 and Q5.
    sati01, kbz1960 and johnny_bravo72 like this.
    07-30-14 05:18 AM
    Because its a slow news day. The "journalists" do not want to work to earn their paychecks. It's easier to pull out the old files and change the title and regurgitate.

Posted via CB10
    07-30-14 07:13 AM
    Because :

Just take a look at the device.
    Fix your eyes towards the top.

Do you see it?
    It says BlackBerry!
    That's why!!!

Posted via CB10
    07-30-14 07:27 AM
81 123 ...