I don't get it, why strictly enterprise company releases low cost phones like 'Leap'? or Q5? BB is not in the same pool with Android and has never been. Low cost or entry level phone is for people who basically need a phone for taking pictures, play games, watching videos or simply update FB status.. and with huge gap in apps store its just nail to the coffin for the company. Young professionals don't need cheap or entry level phones because There're working and They're pursuing their career so they definitely can afford a phone. Releasing "Leap' for as BB say Young Professionals and marking it as low cost or even worse 'cheaper version of Z30 its definitely a turn off. Not to mention the new model look like 2009 Nokia Lumia with plastic and 90's look design. An old Bold 9900 still look more solid and professional. I think from the design perspective Leap is a completely flop. I don't think any young professional will want to have a phone with mediocre hardware and a plastic outdated design. I love my Q10 and I think Q10 is ideal for 'Young Professionals' BB should focus more on Q10 instead of Leap.
    gruv4u and stuart445 like this.
    05-21-15 12:07 PM
    Well, besides the fact that the Q10 and the Z30 are out of production, I assume a bulk order of the Leap is cheaper than one of any other currently available BlackBerry 10 device, so there's that. Plus, the option for employees who don't want a tiny keyboard phone for their work-issued device is there.

Posted via CB10
    howarmat likes this.
    05-21-15 12:11 PM
    Employees who are given a BlackBerry leap don't need a super powerful phone. And the leap is a decent device, and BlackBerry 10 has always ran well on the z10 and q10 so for business use there's no reason to go all out on hardware that will marginally affect performance (my passport is slightly quicker than my z30 was, for example, with quad core and 3gb ram)

Though I find it ****ty that they didn't opt for the phenomenal z30 stereo speakers
    05-21-15 12:30 PM
    Unless company issued phones have to use a specific app not available to bb10, the Leap fills in the communications needs for a company. Emails, messaging, and phone calls are still the bulk for most companies; add to that the BES integration and you have a low-cost solution for corporate communications.

BYOD has its inherent risks and a company might just be better off issuing these low cost devices to maintain security of corporate communications.

If I were in charge of corporate communications I would recommend the Leap as a mobile communication device rather than more expensive devices that might be compromised.

The Leap is intended to be a solution that is cost effective at the corporate level, not as an entry into consumer markets for a personal device although it does function well enough in that area as a consumer device.

As a company issued device, there is simply no choice on the user it is assigned to since that choice is made based on the needs of corporate communications. As a consumer device, it simply is a personal preference for the consumer.

Edit: I would recommend the Leap but would use a Passport. Lol

Posted via CB10
    05-21-15 01:09 PM
    While I would have preferred a Leap with same internals as the Z30, I get why BB released it. It's just capable of everything a 'non harcore' user needs. It doesn't have (out of the box) google play services.But guess what? In the last couple of months all my friends with an Android are complaining about them (too much space take, too invasive, useless and so on). It can run Android apps in the vast majority (from my experience: 80% of them). It has got some REALLY good native apps .
    After that, it has a smooth OS (the smoothest from my experience), a great battery, the best e-mail management, a great calendar and a best-in-class keyboard. The hub is a great addition too. The battery is above average (same price-tag), the camera is good and just lacks NFC(that, honestly, in Europe nobody REALLY use).
    Imho, if you desperately needs EVERY APPS and GAMES you should go Apple. Otherwise, BB10 is the choice. And now,you can get it for a bunch of USD.

Posted via CB10
    05-21-15 01:15 PM
    On corporate contracts Leap is $0, Passport is $99. An iPhone is $99. Corporate accounts get phone subsidies just like consumers do. With the above mentioned pricing, the Leap is an even stranger decision to produce. A much more desirable device could have been made that would have costed corporations $99 per unit on contract, and had some consumer appeal to the existing Z users too.

Posted with my Z30
    05-21-15 01:21 PM
    Companies buy phones based on their needs and prices! While Passport or Classic would be the phones for executives and managers, a low budget phone as the Leap would be the most cost effective choice for the rest of the staff!

Sent from my BlackBerry Passport
    mkelley65 likes this.
    05-21-15 04:08 PM
    I don't get it, why strictly enterprise company releases low cost phones like 'Leap'? or Q5? BB is not in the same pool with Android and has never been. Low cost or entry level phone is for people who basically need a phone for taking pictures, play games, watching videos or simply update FB status.. and with huge gap in apps store its just nail to the coffin for the company. Young professionals don't need cheap or entry level phones because There're working and They're pursuing their career so they definitely can afford a phone. Releasing "Leap' for as BB say Young Professionals and marking it as low cost or even worse 'cheaper version of Z30 its definitely a turn off. Not to mention the new model look like 2009 Nokia Lumia with plastic and 90's look design. An old Bold 9900 still look more solid and professional. I think from the design perspective Leap is a completely flop. I don't think any young professional will want to have a phone with mediocre hardware and a plastic outdated design. I love my Q10 and I think Q10 is ideal for 'Young Professionals' BB should focus more on Q10 instead of Leap.
    I don't consider myself "young" but I am a professional...Use a Q5...suits my needs without problems. The power is enough to do my main thing which is emails..I dont think you need more power than that..I think you need power when you get into using your device for media and such. The beauty about BB10 once again is that it really does not need high specs to run smoothly and efficiently. ..just how i see it.
    3Dee likes this.
    05-21-15 04:17 PM
    I would be interested in knowing what Bla1ze thought if he had done his review of the Leap without being able to know the specs at all. Just picking up the device, running it through its paces with a lot of things open, android apps, etc. Ignoring the certain hardware items missing. My takeaway was it did things very well.
    05-21-15 04:46 PM
    BlackBerry OS 10 is so Good that with only 2 Cores CPU and 2 GB RAM, run Android Apps better than an Android with 4 Cores and 3 GB RAM.

Company don't buy phones for the people install Candy Crush, Clash of Clans or Social Networks, buy to be connected any time wit the user, trough Email or calls.

Posted via CB10
    05-21-15 08:13 PM
    If I didn't like the device I just wouldn't buy it. It's not that complicated.

Posted via CB10
    05-21-15 09:48 PM
    Even before BB10, there existed the Curve and Pearl series. These were the low end blackberries of the past. This was an important market as well.

Personally I believe blackberry is just trying to do the same with the low end BB10 OS devices. Plus its an entry point into the BB10 operating software. Because not everyone can afford a Passport or brand new high end right when its released.

Businesses can also buy the lower end phones and still attain the BB10 security without having to buy passports which are double/triple the price (depending on the region) . Deploying corporate phones to everyone in a business while still saving money is a very important reason behind Blackberry's low end device plans.

Posted via CB10
    05-21-15 10:12 PM
    Companies buy phones based on their needs and prices! While Passport or Classic would be the phones for executives and managers, a low budget phone as the Leap would be the most cost effective choice for the rest of the staff!

Sent from my BlackBerry Passport
    ... who are on and want touch-screens anyway!

:-D

(the upper echelons might still be on and love their keyboards, haha...)

�   Passposted while waiting for the Z-lider....   �
    05-22-15 05:35 AM
    BlackBerry OS 10 is so Good that with only 2 Cores CPU and 2 GB RAM, run Android Apps better than an Android with 4 Cores and 3 GB RAM.

Company don't buy phones for the people install Candy Crush, Clash of Clans or Social Networks, buy to be connected any time wit the user, trough Email or calls.

Posted via CB10
    I believe this is a false statement.

Z30something
    Fidel Mercado likes this.
    05-22-15 07:48 AM
    Company can also buy Androids for their employees, but for that price they won't get(imho) a device that is as reliable as a BB10 device for what connectivity is concerned..

Posted via CB10
    05-22-15 08:40 AM
    Threads like these are insane. Having a BlackBerry doesn't mean you're super rich, elite, better or anything like that.

What are the point of non super high end phones?

For people who don't NEED a super high end phone, therefore don't want to and don't need to spend the money on one when they can get a lower tier phone that fits and all their needs for less than half the price.

Also, companies are in business to make money. So, instead of giving their employees super high end phones, they can give them lower tier phones and the company saves money.

Posted via CB10
    05-22-15 09:31 AM