Whoa whoa whoa now apple fans just let me say this first.

I was a long time iphone user and still have it (so that should allow me to now relentlessly bash it since some 'bb users' who say that go on to do so). But I'm not going to bash it. Its a good product with a walmart (one-stop-shop) like ecosystem that has shown to be pleasing to the masses. Now by saying fail I mean I would like it to lose some of its mass appeal so they have some incentive to do some real innovation and spend some cash on R&D. I come to this after owning several iOS devices during an extended period of time with what I see as little change. I think its hard to argue that the ipad, ipod and iphone arent basically the same device in different sizes. I think apple does a great job of selling products I just don't see the same innovation in the company that was there with the release of the initial iphone or previous to that their desktops G-whatever, macbooks and those colorful single unit desktops they had before that. They were definitely doing things differently back then.

We've seen how RIMs been working/changing/acquiring/evolving/restructuring like few companies out there in order to bring something entirely new to the table. I think we the consumers end up benefiting from this. I have to say I don't see myself ever buying another ios devices unless i lose my current one, thats of course unless apple makes something truly innovative and new.

Anyone want to see apple continue on the same tragectory with their current product lineup and mass sales to the general consumer or would you like it if they got some of their underdog character that they used to have?

It seems somewhat inevitable that the iphone will lose its mass appeal since we've seen every other mobile leader fall from grace, this is apples first crack at it (maybe it has already, hows does the S3 compare it terms of sales?). We've also seen how fast and hard some companies fall when releasing new phones with just incremental upgrades to what the company and most of its users thought was a solid product.
    09-21-12 11:40 PM
    It won't fail at least for a couple of years. They still have a couple of years of steam left
    09-21-12 11:45 PM
    (Yawn) do you have a point here?

As for Apple falling from grace, or losing their market leader position it could definitely happen. Its just not very likely... As long as Apple is doing what they're doing now, which is:

1. Delivering awesome, innovative, class leading products that give good value for money.
    2. Servicing their customers with timely updates and improvements.
    3. Giving customers a reason to stay in the Apple ecosystem.

They can keep their position for many years to come. Look at it this way: Microsoft have kept their position for 15+ years. Same as Intel. So it's far from inevitable, that Apple should lose their position, at least in the near future.

Now does anybody feel like talking Blackberries?
    09-21-12 11:54 PM
    For what it's worth, I find the facebook app on my iPod is much more "BB10 like" than my Playbook facebook app is. They may fail to dislodge Android from #1, but I don't see any challengers for #2. Not in the next 3 years at least.
    09-21-12 11:59 PM
    If apple does start to slide I expect they will continue the ridiculous lawsuit filings.
    The law suits of the last year or so made apple look desperate in my opinion.
    Stewartj1 likes this.
    09-22-12 12:00 AM
    Of course they don't. Not after the sleekest, fastest, newest iPhone has been released. "All the cool kids are doing it." I, personally, can't wait to show off a new BB10 and have people asking me what kind it is because they have never seen it. Its all an opinions and preferences on the phone you use, so as long as RIM/BlackBerry Phones exist I'll use one. No need to see Apple fall from convincing millions of people to use their product, let's just root on RIM to rise to the challenges the public expects from phones these days.
    09-22-12 12:02 AM
    I think the UI could use a minor tweak, however the os/hardware design is top notch IMO. I purchased the new iPhone today and its a very solid device IMO. You don't need Apple to fail in order for RIMM to succeed. Judging by all the Apple threads on CB, I'm starting to think that a lot of you guys are unsure about the upcoming RIMM devices/os.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    09-22-12 12:02 AM
    The OP is right about ipad pod phone being the same product with different sizes.
    09-22-12 12:36 AM
    I think the UI could use a minor tweak, however the os/hardware design is top notch IMO. I purchased the new iPhone today and its a very solid device IMO. You don't need Apple to fail in order for RIMM to succeed. Judging by all the Apple threads on CB, I'm starting to think that a lot of you guys are unsure about the upcoming RIMM devices/os.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Lots of insecurity on this site. Constant regurgitation of the same old Apple hate, coupled with an irrational obsession of a dying platform and how it will somehow win back customers. I also bought the 5 today. I was extremely hesitant jumping to a touch screen after 2 BBs with keyboards. But after having it for one day, I simply cannot believe I've held on to my BBs for that long. The iPhone 5 simply CRUSHES anything that BB has ever done. It does everything I need it to do, and it does it faster than a BB. RIM won't be winning back a lot of customers for years to come. People are happy with their Androids and iPhones, customers won't have a reason to jump ship to RIM for a LONG time.
    richardat, Syrous44 and soren203 like this.
    09-22-12 12:59 AM
    Lots of insecurity on this site. Constant regurgitation of the same old Apple hate, coupled with an irrational obsession of a dying platform and how it will somehow win back customers. I also bought the 5 today. I was extremely hesitant jumping to a touch screen after 2 BBs with keyboards. But after having it for one day, I simply cannot believe I've held on to my BBs for that long. The iPhone 5 simply CRUSHES anything that BB has ever done. It does everything I need it to do, and it does it faster than a BB. RIM won't be winning back a lot of customers for years to come. People are happy with their Androids and iPhones, customers won't have a reason to jump ship to RIM for a LONG time.
    Agreed. People with androids and iPhones and lumia 920s will be a problem for rim. They need to get through the tough competition with wp8, iOS 6 and android 4.1. I'm getting a lumia 920 and an 8X for my upgrades on Verizon and AT&T. I have seen tones of people wanting the iPhone and androids and tones of people are talking about the lumia 920 an wanting the phone. I am hesistant about how bb10 will get through the competition when the three OS's have matured and have a very good ecosystem ad is being released this year . So far Microsoft has the biggest ecosystem with tones of stuff integrated together.

I think android will be first ups second and windows phone third and bb fourth
    Place with a decent market share but not much as the main three. Which is fine
    09-22-12 01:22 AM

I think android will be first ups second and windows phone third and bb fourth
    Place with a decent market share but not much as the main three. Which is fine
    I think you're right... Partially anyways... In a year or so Android wil hold on to, and expand its marketshare to around 50%. BUT Apple will still be the premium platform, with a thirty percent marketshare but a first place in mindshare, so to speak. Windows Phone8 will probably get the third place with 10-15% (Partially because of the Windows8 tie in, and partially because of the cool designs). RIM and Blackberry will hang on with 5% or so, but who knows,mother might be able to fight upwards from there...

DOC Z: Congrats! Isn't it an awesome feeling! Like having a smartphone for the first time all over? I have an Android phone, but am thinking about getting an iPhone5 too, since I also have an iPad, and just love how fast, smooth and cool everything is iOS...
    09-22-12 02:17 AM
    I agree with the insecurity comment. It seems that lately most of threads are about Apple's imminent demise. :/
    09-22-12 04:45 AM
    You'd think this was an apple site the way that the 'faithful' start so many threads about iphone and apple - it reminds me of how many people who rant about the evils of homosexuality are often caught in the bushes with some young hunk.
    09-22-12 04:49 AM
    bla bla bla every Apple thread is the same, stop it already or go to imore...
    pantlesspenguin likes this.
    09-22-12 04:52 AM
    You'd think this was an apple site the way that the 'faithful' start so many threads about iphone and apple - it reminds me of how many people who rant about the evils of homosexuality are often caught in the bushes with some young hunk.
    I agree. Everywhere I look it's apple this, apple that - I'm overloaded with apples. Even on a blackberry enthusiast site - again apple.

On topic, me thinks some people are missing the point, but I agree with the OP. If they weren't so obsessed with suing everyone they could divert those funds for R&D and focus on pushing innovative limits within the mobile tech industry. Failure may be their only option to re-invent the wheel.
    09-22-12 05:05 AM
    I hope Apple fails too. Period. Just because.
    09-22-12 05:22 AM
    I hope Apple fails too. Period. Just because.
    I've read of a company that also makes smartphones that seems to me to be closer to failing than Apple.
    09-22-12 06:55 AM
    The OP's premise just seems misguided to me, though it is, in an odd way a love song to Apple.

If Apple has a product so good that with no innovation, it stays on top, then the onus is on other competitors, of which there are plenty, to innovate. In my mind there has been only one real "revolution", and that was the original iphone. Everything else has been refinement from Apple, and copying/refinement by competitors. (though the magnitude of the refinements has certainly varied)

It's interesting that you feel Apple needs to be the underdog...in effect, compete with itself, to get true innovation. I dont' know whether that's true or not....I think some competitor will come along someday with a huge change (unless Apple beats them to it)...but I don't think it will happen anytime soon. Nonetheless, I don't believe it is ONLY Apple who could do it.

It seems we will be stuck with touchscreen slabs, tiles/widgets/icons/gizmos etc. for some time to come.
    09-22-12 07:22 AM
    I just came to the conclusion that Apple is like Justin Bieber in one way or another... at least on this forum )
    Last edited by Viktor_Volkov; 09-22-12 at 08:00 AM.
    09-22-12 07:54 AM
    I have been thinking about it, what this forum needs is a slash fiction forum for all the iPhone obsessive to get it out of their system:

the iPhone laughted as it threw the blackberry user roughly to the floor.

"you know you want me" said the iPhone

"you beast" said the blackberry user, "you will never get me to leave my lovely BBM!"

"wait til you get a load of my imessage" sneered the iphone

Cont. P45

Sent from my Lumia 800 using Board Express
    09-22-12 07:56 AM
    Apple is not going to fail, period. Eventually they may slide from the position they are in now but that happens to every technology company eventually on some level.
    I'm not a fan of the iPhone and can't see myself getting one but I do own a ipod touch and like it. I don't want to see any company fail really.
    I'd just like to see RIM succeed
    Speedygi and Syrous44 like this.
    09-22-12 07:59 AM
    Some get apple because it is the"IN"and best way to look important.also,they think they are a part of the church of jobs in apple.
    09-22-12 08:04 AM
    It takes a couple of failed products released consecutively to take down a company like Apple or RIM. RIM 've done that successfully. Apple may have disappointed some of their client base with recent 3 or 4 products, but those products can hardly be considered as failure.

So no, Apple is not on their way down yet.
    09-22-12 08:30 AM
    Some get apple because it is the"IN"and best way to look important.also,they think they are a part of the church of jobs in apple.
    Some people used to buy a BB to look important. What's your point?
    Syrous44 likes this.
    09-22-12 08:37 AM
    09-22-12 08:42 AM
44 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD