Here's my view why I think it will help BlackBerry

1) it will help sell more phones, which will make devs have more incentive to make native apps

2) it will let devs know how much demand there is for their app which will also give them more incentive, should demand be high

To me this isn't much different than being able to sideload and I don't think it will stop BlackBerry World at all
    06-26-14 03:22 PM
    I hope all that you said is true!!!
    I think it will entice more people to buy BB as well....
    06-26-14 03:34 PM
    Interesting view....

Not sure how a 3rd party store will sell more phones... Amazon has only 10% of Android Apps that are available in Google Play and right now BB10 can not even run all of those, do you think that carrier sales people aren't going to know that? Do you thing reviewers won't point that out?

Not sure what the incentive for building native apps would be... people are going to buy those apps which ever store they are in. It would only cost the developer more to support that 4th platform, so they would need to charge people more which would lead to only a few die hard fans being willing to pay more for those apps... thus the developer would stop supporting the platform. I think you will still have the developers that have been building BB10 specific app - Power Tools, BeeBuz... utility apps that are design for BlackBerry. But developers for big apps that will work fine via Amazon.

Not sure that sideloading didn't hurt the development of BlackBerry World in the first place.

I don't think they had a choice... but I'm not sure it's going to make much of a difference for the average consumer. Someone who plans to buy a BlackBerry anyway will be much happier.
    DS1331 likes this.
    06-26-14 04:01 PM
    Interesting view....

Not sure how a 3rd party store will sell more phones... Amazon has only 10% of Android Apps that are available in Google Play and right now BB10 can not even run all of those, do you think that carrier sales people aren't going to know that? Do you thing reviewers won't point that out?

Not sure what the incentive for building native apps would be... people are going to buy those apps which ever store they are in. It would only cost the developer more to support that 4th platform, so they would need to charge people more which would lead to only a few die hard fans being willing to pay more for those apps... thus the developer would stop supporting the platform. I think you will still have the developers that have been building BB10 specific app - Power Tools, BeeBuz... utility apps that are design for BlackBerry. But developers for big apps that will work fine via Amazon.

Not sure that sideloading didn't hurt the development of BlackBerry World in the first place.

I don't think they had a choice... but I'm not sure it's going to make much of a difference for the average consumer. Someone who plans to buy a BlackBerry anyway will be much happier.
    True if they (carriers) knew, you Know they will speak about it and will continue to persuade their potential customer to buy a Non BB.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using CB Forums mobile app
    06-26-14 09:31 PM
    Scale why are you such a hater? You're on here all the time just spewing your depressing views, enough already.

Posted with a Q10 via CB10 ?
    06-26-14 09:57 PM
    It might help a little but not a lot. I have the amazon store on my BlackBerry and still use snap. I think if they are going this deep they mind as well go deeper and let us having google play store and the google eco system. I could never fully commit to a BlackBerry only because of how much I have invested in Gmail and Google and all my google music subscriptions and games I bought and appls I bought and drive.

Q10 Posted via CB10
    06-26-14 09:59 PM
    Scale why are you such a hater? You're on here all the time just spewing your depressing views, enough already.

Because he's absolutely right

Q10 Posted via CB10
    JeepBB and cgallaer like this.
    06-26-14 10:01 PM

Q10 Posted via CB10
    Is he right every time? Doubt it.

I'm not just talking about this post either. Like no need to be an ******* on every single post where someone has a good idea or whatever.

06-26-14 10:03 PM

The thing is 97% of the Apps out there are garbage. The three percent is all that is needed.

Posted via CB10
    06-26-14 11:59 PM

Q10 Posted via CB10
    In your view ,if BlackBerry is so crappy. I think too much time and effort is directed in trying to convince others that it is. Whomever thinks that it is should just move on.

Posted via CB10
    KMan4444 likes this.
    06-27-14 12:00 AM
    I wonder if BlackBerry/Amazon will even bother making a native version of the Amazon app store (a la Snap). I know the android version of amazon app store works "OK", but... since it will be front and center,.. it should probably be more than just OK.

Posted via CB10
    06-27-14 12:05 AM
    This reminds me of the notion on Precentral that webOS would catch on soon as enough people tried it out. There were endless claims that word of mouth was the most powerful marketing. Everyone thinks their favorite smartphone UI is "hands-down" the best out there.

Of course this all hinges on the inherent superiority of BB10 driving up sales so much that developers suddenly realize what an up-and-coming platform it is and jump into native development.

It's also possible that existing BB10 users will simply go "cool...we get to install some of these Android apps" with no massive spike in sales to make developers take notice enough to double their work and make native apps that most users won't notice.
    JeepBB likes this.
    06-27-14 12:21 AM
    I'm not sure this droid appstore will work.. google service is the big deal and when u want to update you have to delete the app firat, right? It doesn't quite handy for common user..

Posted via CB10
    06-27-14 12:37 AM
    I wonder if BlackBerry/Amazon will even bother making a native version of the Amazon app store (a la Snap). I know the android version of amazon app store works "OK", but... since it will be front and center,.. it should probably be more than just OK.

Posted via CB10
    Sounds like a native app:
    "The partnership will result in the Amazon Appstore running as a native BlackBerry app, with a greatly simplified interface and streamlined user experience. This should appeal to those less technically-inclined who don?t want to deal with going into Developer Mode on their devices and dealing with a 3rd party program or Chrome browser extension to load the apps."
    http://blogs.blackberry.com/2014/06/...turning-heads/
    06-27-14 01:01 AM

Posted via CB10
    Well they did announce that it will be pre-installed on 10.3 devices so hopefully they will do that.

Posted via CB10
    06-27-14 01:09 AM
    Sounds like a native app:
    "The partnership will result in the Amazon Appstore running as a native BlackBerry app, with a greatly simplified interface and streamlined user experience. This should appeal to those less technically-inclined who don?t want to deal with going into Developer Mode on their devices and dealing with a 3rd party program or Chrome browser extension to load the apps."
    Say What?! BlackBerry Partnership with Amazon Appstore is Turning Heads | Inside BlackBerry
    The Amazon Appstore doesn't require Developer Mode or anything else to install now. Just go to Amazon.com, download the app and install it.... pretty simple.

and it will also be pretty simple to port that one app to BlackBerry World and have it available to existing users, and preinstalled on new devices. Getting the Amazon Appstore isn't the issue.... The issue is are the apps people want in the Amazon Store and do they work? The answer will be different for each user, many will be just fine with what Amazon has to offer. But you have one person have a problem these days and they post it to all their friends on a social media site, and you can lose a number of customers.

Personally I think it is great that we can add the Amazon Apps to our devices... just don't see it as getting BlackBerry on equal footing with the main 3 players. And long term I don't think it's a solution at all - Google is changing Android making it more secure (and less open), they are slowly locking down their ecosystem to protect developers and customers (and block everyone that has plans for using the Android ecosystem for other OS). Even Amazon may have problems keeping their own version of Android go in the future...
    06-27-14 07:31 AM
    I'm not sure this droid appstore will work.. google service is the big deal and when u want to update you have to delete the app firat, right? It doesn't quite handy for common user..

Posted via CB10
    Good point - I wonder how they plan to handle that scenario, as it could be common?

ie.

User gets Android App from BlackBerry World
    User sees a newer version of said Android App from Amazon App Store
    User tries to install

What happens?

Now, it tells you to uninstall the BlackBerry World version first. Maybe they can figure out a way to make My World do version controlling with both stores? In all honesty, Amazon's version controlling sucks ballz right now, IMO.
    06-27-14 07:35 AM
    The Amazon Appstore doesn't require Developer Mode or anything else to install now. Just go to Amazon.com, download the app and install it.... pretty simple.

and it will also be pretty simple to port that one app to BlackBerry World and have it available to existing users, and preinstalled on new devices. Getting the Amazon Appstore isn't the issue.... The issue is are the apps people want in the Amazon Store and do they work? The answer will be different for each user, many will be just fine with what Amazon has to offer. But you have one person have a problem these days and they post it to all their friends on a social media site, and you can lose a number of customers.

Personally I think it is great that we can add the Amazon Apps to our devices... just don't see it as getting BlackBerry on equal footing with the main 3 players. And long term I don't think it's a solution at all - Google is changing Android making it more secure (and less open), they are slowly locking down their ecosystem to protect developers and customers (and block everyone that has plans for using the Android ecosystem for other OS). Even Amazon may have problems keeping their own version of Android go in the future...
    Amazon's new phone is the wild card in all of this. If they can sell a decent amount of devices then they can get more devs onto the platform. Look at what they were able to accomplish with their app store just selling their crappy kindle. Pretty impressive in my opinion. Now add in the fire phone and they may be onto something. They also have mush deeper pockets and more resources to woo developers. I also read that Amazon would be subbing in their own services where Google's would be, in effect making it easier for devs to port from Google Play to Amazon.
    06-27-14 02:32 PM
    Is he right every time? Doubt it.

I'm not just talking about this post either. Like no need to be an ******* on every single post where someone has a good idea or whatever.
    A good idea should be able to stand challenges and should welcome scrutiny.
    06-27-14 02:58 PM
    Amazon's new phone is the wild card in all of this. If they can sell a decent amount of devices then they can get more devs onto the platform. Look at what they were able to accomplish with their app store just selling their crappy kindle. Pretty impressive in my opinion. Now add in the fire phone and they may be onto something. They also have mush deeper pockets and more resources to woo developers. I also read that Amazon would be subbing in their own services where Google's would be, in effect making it easier for devs to port from Google Play to Amazon.
    It is not just on crappy Kindle and Fire phone will contribute very little to the installed base of Amazon app store
    The amazon app store is pre-installed on all Verizon android phones and most of Spint and At&t's android phones. So, there are more than 80 millions phone installed base already.
    06-27-14 03:10 PM
    The thing is 97% of the Apps out there are garbage. The three percent is all that is needed.

Posted via CB10
    Did you pull this figure from out of your backside?

Posted via CrackBerry App
    06-27-14 03:23 PM
    Did you pull this figure from out of your backside?

Posted via CrackBerry App
    No I think t'was yours :-))) seriously, apart from gaming, Banking and social media apps are the ones mainly used there are a few that enterprise uses and that is a small portion of what's available. The rest would be filler, read the following. Draw you own conclusions.

http://www.digitaltrends.com/mobile/...re-than-twice/

http://www.gartner.com/newsroom/id/2648515?

http://www.cnet.com/news/most-iphone...athering-dust/

Posted via CB10
    Last edited by crackbrry fan; 06-27-14 at 05:29 PM.
    06-27-14 03:47 PM