I've always been a keyboard shortcut proponent. I think, overall, it's the speediest way to navigate. However, lately I've become accustomed to using Universal Search/Dial from Home Screen. Here's what I like about it: fast access to contacts for calling or for sending any type of message, whether it's email, sms, or IM.

Assume a freshly booted device. In my case, the first thing I do is sign in to YIM, Windows Live Messenger, and Gtalk. I then leave those applications running. I don't need to go back to them. If I want to communicate with a contact, I just type his name on the home screen and when his contact comes up choose whatever it is I want to do. My YIM, WLM, and Gtalk contacts are linked to their respective BlackBerry contacts so I can even see if they are online right from their contact entries. After I send an IM I can just click the end key and be back on the home screen. If the person replies, I can easily access the active conversation from Messages which is configured to my right convenience key. I like that it closes the contact when I hit the end key. If I use "A" (address book) or "C" (compose) the contact stays open (it can be seen on the app switcher) unless I back out/exit from the address book.

Overall, I still think keyboard shortcuts provide greater access to most things, but with US/DHS enabled, I can think less. I can mindlessly type a contact's name, communicate, and forget about it. I can use the application switcher if I need the browser or bbm (always open anyway) or if I should happen to need to get into one of the already open IM apps. But I'm finding that it's not so necessary to do that for straight communication. Sometimes I have to if I want to set an alert for when an IM contact comes on line or refresh a list, but for communicating, generally no.
    Last edited by T�nis; 11-04-11 at 09:09 AM.
    11-04-11 08:40 AM
    I'm a big fan of keyboard shortcuts, and I've always had them enabled on my BlackBerry devices. Universal search is really great, it's fast and reliable. But I don't see the need to lose my favourite shortcuts in order to use it. All I need to do is hit 'S' and universal search pops up and I'm ready to go. I'm happy to lose that initial split second when I'm searching for something (by having to press 's') in order to keep my beloved keyboard shortcuts!

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    11-04-11 03:03 PM
    I completely understand. I'm just finding that pressing "s," that extra split second, involves just a bit too much thought for a stressed out guy like me. Making use of US/DHS allows me to put myself on autopilot.
    11-04-11 07:42 PM
    Ever since I got my Curve 9330 (OS6), I never dialed a phone number from the phone screen. It was always dialing on the keyboard straight from the homescreen. It just feels more natural to me that way.
    11-04-11 08:14 PM
    Ever since I got my Curve 9330 (OS6), I never dialed a phone number from the phone screen. It was always dialing on the keyboard straight from the homescreen. It just feels more natural to me that way.
    I agree. It does feel more natural.
    11-05-11 12:10 AM
    That's a good tip about pressing "s" to start a search, but I wonder why the "s" appears in the search box. Isn't that strange? I then have to backspace to get rid of it.
    11-05-11 06:54 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD