The subsidy is recouped in the monthly bill,
    so other than having the phone you really want.
    I don't see any real advantage to this.
    Depends on the carrier in some cases. Just one example, Virgin Mobile in Canada: if you want the iPhone 6 they push you to the Platinum Plans and the phone is $350 up front and the rest subsidized. For 1GB Data, unlimited minutes, etc it's $85 / month on the Platinum Plan, but $55 / month on the Silver Plan for a 2 year term. And if you bring an unlocked phone they knock an extra 10% off your monthly bill. And of course if you're unhappy with the service or see a better plan at another carrier you can leave immediately and there's no buying out your phone.

And with an unlocked phone, you can sell it within the two year period anytime and don't have to pay an extra $50 to unlock it from the carrier (unlocked phones obviously fetch a higher selling price on eBay, Kijiji, etc)...
    04-16-15 03:24 PM
    Friend of mine is grandfathered on a Bell plan with 5GB and whatever else. His contract is coming up but was told he'd have the option to go Month to Month on his existing plan. However, if he wanted to get a new subsidized phone he'd be put on a new contract and not allowed to keep the old plan - unless perhaps if he griped and got sent to Customer Loyalty / Retention I guess.

I always advise my friends to go with unlocked phones - greater freedom to negotiate with carriers, buying international sims when travelling, and yes a cheaper plan with the same features as a more expensive plan with a subsidized phone. It's the way to go if you can afford it, imho.
    I agree it's better to buy outright, but the reality is that the majority of Canadians (and probably Americans too) can't justify a $700 purchase. On the other hand, they can easily manage an extra $20/month. Numbers wise they are better off to buy outright, but in a practical that is often not possible. So often that subsidized plans are the norm. For the most part, people do know it's cheaper to buy outright.

I once read a quote from the CEO of Rogers, who took over after Ted retired, where he said he didn't understand why people buy phones on contract. Of course he doesn't understand, he's rich. Almost all of the rest of us are not. Such a disconnect between the haves and have nots, even in Canada, especially when it comes to perceptions of how life is for average folks. I bet that CEO thinks his rates are fair, but they really aren't. His rates are astronomical compared to other nations, even ones with stronger economies, higher median incomes, and lower unemployment rates.
    anon(9353145) likes this.
    04-16-15 03:37 PM
    Oh yeah, some people can't put the money up front yet they want to have the latest and greatest right away. I have a niece who goes through phones like candy, but she buys them unlocked. Then when she wants to switch, sells them on Kijiji and gets back a big piece of the original purchase price.
    04-16-15 03:45 PM
    Unlimited Data for three months, then 4 GB at $70. A definitive improvement over the 1GB at 90$ I was paying... but you're right, still doesn't qualify as low cost lol

Posted via CB10
    Ouch. In the UK I get 4GB of LTE data for the equivalent of $45 Canadian (25 GBP).

Posted from the CB10 app on my BlackBerry Z30 STA100-2/10.3.1.2576 on O2 UK - Activated on BES10.2.5.6
    04-16-15 04:04 PM
    Unlimited Data for three months, then 4 GB at $70. A definitive improvement over the 1GB at 90$ I was paying... but you're right, still doesn't qualify as low cost lol
    That's much better than the $63 (with tax) I'm paying for 1 GB a month on Telus with an unlocked device. Congrats!
    04-16-15 04:06 PM
    That's much better than the $63 (with tax) I'm paying for 1 GB a month on Telus with an unlocked device. Congrats!
    How long have you been with Telus? Virgin's about the same but they knock off 10% if you bring your own device. Maybe try negotiating a better deal and mention the Virgin plan. (I don't work for Virgin Mobile, btw).
    04-16-15 04:11 PM
    If your just looking to sell wouldn't it would be easier to move an iPhone than a Galaxy.
    04-16-15 04:24 PM
    How long have you been with Telus? Virgin's about the same but they knock off 10% if you bring your own device. Maybe try negotiating a better deal and mention the Virgin plan. (I don't work for Virgin Mobile, btw).
    Maybe 2.5 years. I've been on month to month the entire time. Thanks for the tip
    04-16-15 04:38 PM
    Congrats, smart move.
    04-16-15 06:23 PM
    For those asking why not get an iPhone (for reselling purposes): the least subsidized phones are Apple iPhones, and there's no bargaining for discounts. The higher the subsidy, the higher net return I make on the phone.

As for why I got a phone in the first place instead of going month to month - I negotiated my monthly price based on my intentions of going BYOD, as I said I would like to keep my existing phone (essentially, just a month-to-month basis). Once the price was negotiated and put in place, I inquired about device upgrades, should I want one.

No increase in my monthly price, just a two year term in place now (and a cancellation fee, should I wish to terminate early).
    04-16-15 06:43 PM
    Given the up front fee from the carrier that makes sense, thanks.
    04-16-15 06:47 PM
    Op sell your S6 on kijiji while it still got good value because its still a current phone. Then find yourself a good deal for a Passport on kijiji.

Long live Blackberry.
    Anyone switched from a Z10 / Z30 to Passport wanna give me their feedback about moving back to QWERTY? Do you miss a 16x9 phone (for apps and videos), or is the passport big enough not to notice?
    04-16-15 06:48 PM
    Retention/Loyalty is the way to go when trying to get new hardware while keeping a plan you want. I usually go directly there instead of a standard sales person.

I am due for an upgrade soon and have no intentions of giving up my plan. Hoping Retention can get me the phone I want.

Posted via CB10
    04-16-15 07:11 PM
    Wow how do you guys manage to get sweet deals like that on Rogers, Bell and Telus? I am on wind and might switch to one of the three but they are quoting me ridiculous prices that made me laugh. All my other home services are with rogers, think I can use that as leverage to get a better wireless deal? I already have a factory unlocked Z30 so I will just be using that.
    Any of the big three carriers in Canada will give you 10 percent off any plan if you are not buying a subsidized phone from them.

Posted via my BlackBerry Passport
    04-17-15 02:47 AM
    I got 5 gb and 3k minutes for 15 $
    04-17-15 04:34 AM
    Anyone switched from a Z10 / Z30 to Passport wanna give me their feedback about moving back to QWERTY? Do you miss a 16x9 phone (for apps and videos), or is the passport big enough not to notice?
    I did just that...

I hated the keyboard at first. Took me a solid month, but now can't go back. I love the phone size and all the great shortcuts

Maybe the slider if not too thick. But I love this passport!

Do it!

Posted via CB10
    anon(4315288) likes this.
    04-17-15 05:29 AM
    Any of the big three carriers in Canada will give you 10 percent off any plan if you are not buying a subsidized phone from them.

Posted via my BlackBerry Passport
    Yeah I fugured as much, but how do I go about getting something like 3-6 GB of data? They are only offering 1 GB for 70 dollars. Thats effing ridiculous :/
    04-19-15 11:41 AM
    Yeah I fugured as much, but how do I go about getting something like 3-6 GB of data? They are only offering 1 GB for 70 dollars. Thats effing ridiculous :/
    And 10% off of $70 is $7 - not a big deal. For $7/month you may as well get a flagship device rather than a more affordable, lesser device. Unless you have the money to buy it outright.
    04-19-15 11:59 AM
    And 10% off of $70 is $7 - not a big deal. For $7/month you may as well get a flagship device rather than a more affordable, lesser device. Unless you have the money to buy it outright.
    Yeah for that price I expect to be getting at least 3GB of data minimum. No way I am paying that much for a measly 1 GB. I already have a phone and see no need to get another one to be honest. I am trying to move from wind to one of the three and now for 40 dollars am getting free worldwide texting, unlimited calling all over north america, unlimited data and voice mail and unrestricted tethering.

I was on roaming in Philly and paid only 3 dollars for like 5 GB of data usage. Kind of hard to go from to being bent over by the big three. They can go suck an egg for all I care (Robbers Tellus and Bell I mean)
    04-19-15 12:14 PM
    Sold for $800.00 - and the funny part is the buyer bought it with the intention of reselling it at a markup cause the resale value is so high right now.

He himself is a BlackBerry die-hard who can't let go of his Passport. Oh the irony...

Posted via CB10
    04-20-15 07:37 PM
    Blackberry... we're all business men at heart lol

Posted via CB10
    04-20-15 07:38 PM
46 12