I am just curious why BlackBerry pulled the video store from BlackBerry World. With no indication to an alternative Video Store.

Posted via CB10
    07-25-14 12:33 AM
    It was only available in 3 countries anyway, so, doesn't matter.

Posted via CB10
    Its Spade likes this.
    07-25-14 12:36 AM
    I think Rovi will submit their app in BlackBerry World like how 7 Digital did

Posted via CB10
    07-25-14 12:42 AM
    Obviously because Amazon is going to be the "official" media store for BB in the very near future, and I'm sure part of the deal to secure official access to the Amazon ecosystem was that they weren't competing directly with it.
    JeepBB, eldricho, Clanked and 4 others like this.
    07-25-14 08:58 AM
    I hope Rovi brings native BB10 app.
    07-25-14 09:02 AM
    Obviously because Amazon is going to be the "official" media store for BB in the very near future, and I'm sure part of the deal to secure official access to the Amazon ecosystem was that they weren't competing directly with it.
    No, Amazon won't be the "official" media store for BB. At least not worldwide, since they don't sell digital media outside the US.
    07-25-14 04:05 PM
    No, Amazon won't be the "official" media store for BB. At least not worldwide, since they don't sell digital media outside the US.
    Right. It sounds dreamy but in the land of BlackBerry (Canada) Amazon has only a fraction of features available to US from what I can tell. Unless there is a big Canada launch of Amazon prime here in the near future , I think we are left to fend for ourselves for the most part.

I think Bla1ze mentioned HMV for music but not sure if they do video?

From my z30
    07-25-14 04:37 PM
    HMV is actually a storefront for 7Digital, the former music partner. 7Digital now has its own app in the store as well.

Rovi was the video partner for both the PlayBook Video Store and the BB10 store. Different company. Interestingly enough, my Samsung TV had a video store powered by Rovi, but it has recently closed.

Posted from CB10 running on my awesome Z30 2B6927F7
    07-25-14 08:27 PM
    It's nothing personal. Just Business for BlackBerry from here on out.

BlackBerry is shuttering ALL services that are consumer focused. They aren't interested in the consumer market any more. As far as hardware goes, BlackBerry is tiny niche, enterprise only play hoping to be able to move a mere 10 million phones per year. That's less then 1/3 of what Apple sells in iPhones per quarter, and Apple is at a mere 14% market share and stagnant globally. So BlackBerry isn't even planning to be in the chart.

If you want a phone for entertainment, BlackBerry is no longer a good choice. Music and Videos are already gone. The closure of Games (Scoreloop) has been announced as occurring by December 31 of this year and will be removed from BlackBerry 10 as of 10.3.1.
    lawguyman likes this.
    07-25-14 09:12 PM
    BlackBerry is still going after consumers. BBM Stickers is hardly an enterprise feature.

BlackBerry dropped Rovi and 7Digital because they weren't making enough money for it to be worth their while.

07-25-14 09:29 PM
    The closure of Games (Scoreloop) has been announced as occurring by December 31 of this year and will be removed from BlackBerry 10 as of 10.3.1.
    Just wanted to say it's December 1st and not 31

Posted via CB10
    07-25-14 10:05 PM
    BlackBerry is still going after consumers. BBM Stickers is hardly an enterprise feature.

BlackBerry dropped Rovi and 7Digital because they weren't making enough money for it to be worth their while.

BBM is a separate business unit entirely from Devices. What one does is not a reflection of the other. Heck, John Chen might decide that BBM isn't for consumers soon too as Mr Talbot's recent Inside BlackBerry Blog certainly seems to concede that BBM isn't for everyone

With Windows Phone Beta, BBM Continues Cross-Platform Strategy | Inside BlackBerry

when growth has completely stalled, and 40% of active users are in Indonesia, and Windows Phone isn't exactly soaring in market share I could see BlackBerry deciding BBM should no longer be a consumer product since the division is already under Mr. Sims
    07-25-14 10:28 PM
    BBM is a separate business unit entirely from Devices. What one does is not a reflection of the other. Heck, John Chen might decide that BBM isn't for consumers soon too as Mr Talbot's recent Inside BlackBerry Blog certainly seems to concede that BBM isn't for everyone

With Windows Phone Beta, BBM Continues Cross-Platform Strategy | Inside BlackBerry

when growth has completely stalled, and 40% of active users are in Indonesia, and Windows Phone isn't exactly soaring in market share I could see BlackBerry deciding BBM should no longer be a consumer product since the division is already under Mr. Sims
    They are never going to take BBM out for consumers . Of course, BBM isn't for everyone, same as every other IM app aren't for everyone. Whatsapp isn't for me. BBM is a huge feature for BlackBerry users.

Posted via CB10
    07-26-14 12:33 AM
    When it comes to music, there's different was to get it onto yr device. But will they really remove games as well???!!! That would mean a serious setback for more people mr. Cheng is wanting for including me. Does there exist a day I would have to get an iPhone or Android thingy?

Posted via CB10
    07-26-14 10:50 AM
    Dead weight.

Posted via CB10
    07-26-14 10:54 AM
    Games will still be available in BlackBerry World. The Games app (Leader board that connects to BBM, based on Scoreloop) on your phone however, will be gone coming end of this year.

Posted via CB10
    07-26-14 11:04 AM
    Games will still be available in BlackBerry World. The Games app (Leader board that connects to BBM, based on Scoreloop) on your phone however, will be gone coming end of this year.

Posted via CB10
    The question then becomes, will anyone still make games to sell in BlackBerry World after Scoreloop is shuttered and the Amazon App Store is pre-loaded?

What's the incentive? Why not just make games for Amazon? Then you're game is on Android, Amazon, and BlackBerry. At least with leader-boards and achievements through Scoreloop, all connected to BBM for the fun social competition and sharing, it encouraged some developers to make games natively for the Platform.

With BlackBerry going all business, the work hard without the play hard, what sane developer is going to waste their time and resources on BlackBerry World for games?

Plus, with BlackBerry being billed as the most social, connected platform, why not at least keep the social aspect of games? Foster it, develop it, and promote it. Scopeloop only had a small team and wasn't using allot of the budget. I am sure the savings gained by shutting it down will not be greater then the long term damage done to the Platform by taking away the last incentive for a developer to make a native game vs just an Android game that they put in the Amazon App Store.

Within a year, BlackBerry World is not going to be a store you visit looking for anything fun.
    07-26-14 12:00 PM
    The question then becomes, will anyone still make games to sell in BlackBerry World after Scoreloop is shuttered and the Amazon App Store is pre-loaded?

What's the incentive? Why not just make games for Amazon? Then you're game is on Android, Amazon, and BlackBerry. At least with leader-boards and achievements through Scoreloop, all connected to BBM for the fun social competition and sharing, it encouraged some developers to make games natively for the Platform.

With BlackBerry going all business, the work hard without the play hard, what sane developer is going to waste their time and resources on BlackBerry World for games?

Plus, with BlackBerry being billed as the most social, connected platform, why not at least keep the social aspect of games? Foster it, develop it, and promote it. Scopeloop only had a small team and wasn't using allot of the budget. I am sure the savings gained by shutting it down will not be greater then the long term damage done to the Platform by taking away the last incentive for a developer to make a native game vs just an Android game that they put in the Amazon App Store.

Within a year, BlackBerry World is not going to be a store you visit looking for anything fun.
    I agree. If BlackBerry continue closing these key items (it's key for me since I use them) then what's the point of owning a blackberry. If I wanted ad infested apps or games, I would have purchased an android device.

Posted via CB10
    07-26-14 12:09 PM
    The way I am reading this is simple. Back when bb10 first launched as people installed games they seen some connect via scoreloop to their bbm. So it showed the game in profile and they massively complained. Search just this forum for that. I think because of that and BlackBerry going more business mode is why scoreloop is going. Not because they are going to get rid of gaming apps in bbw.

Posted via CB10
    07-26-14 12:16 PM
    10.3 will silence a lot of talk......

Posted via CB10
    07-26-14 12:30 PM
    The way I am reading this is simple. Back when bb10 first launched as people installed games they seen some connect via scoreloop to their bbm. So it showed the game in profile and they massively complained. Search just this forum for that. I think because of that and BlackBerry going more business mode is why scoreloop is going. Not because they are going to get rid of gaming apps in bbw.

Posted via CB10
    Sure, BlackBerry isn't telling anyone "You can't make games for BB 10". But the question remains, when the Amazon App store is pre-loaded on all BlackBerry devices, and there is nothing unique to incentivize developers who are not making apps for business, will anyone make games for BB 10?

If you were a developer making games for smart phones, and you look at your options. Make a game for BlackBerry 10 with it's not even on the chart market share and a storefront that is being refocused to promote enterprise friendly apps, or would you make your games for Android and also publish to the Amazon App Store to get Fire OS customer and maybe a few BlackBerry users as well?
    07-26-14 02:05 PM

Posted via CB10
    Why? Are they removing the dialer as well and cancelling BBM Voice? Or do you just think that 10.3 is so amazing that consumers will flock back to BlackBerry cause now it has the same kind of flat look as Android, iOS and Windows Phone? By the way, people who buy their phone for the OS are the extreme minority. Most people buy a smartphone (and stay with a particular ecosystem) for the suite of services and the storefronts for apps and music and such.
    Troy Tiscareno likes this.
    07-26-14 02:09 PM

Posted via CB10
    They said the same thing with 10.2.1

Posted via CB10
    07-26-14 02:22 PM
    They said the same thing with 10.2.1

Posted via CB10
    10.2.1 is pretty darn awesome. BlackBerry 10 has come a long way in a short time as far as OSes go.

Problem is, no one gives a crap because no one buys a phone for the OS. They buy (and stay) because of the services offered on the Platform.

Not carrying the services over to BlackBerry 10 from legacy BlackBerry OS is why Legacy Phones continue outselling BlackBerry 10 phones. BlackBerry 10 didn't flop cause it was missing bedside mode initially (though that one bugged the hell out of me), it flopped cause now you need to use this POS software called Link to backup or restore your phone. It flopped cause now you don't get a free email account anymore. It flopped cause now there is no more super cheap unlimited social plans and free BBM while roaming. Yeah people griped about the spinning clock-face, and battery pulls, and how ugly the OS was. But the value proposition was, and still is better for the consumer and that wins over cool looking OS fade effects any day.
    07-26-14 02:39 PM
    It's nothing personal. Just Business for BlackBerry from here on out.

BlackBerry is shuttering ALL services that are consumer focused. They aren't interested in the consumer market any more. As far as hardware goes, BlackBerry is tiny niche, enterprise only play hoping to be able to move a mere 10 million phones per year. That's less then 1/3 of what Apple sells in iPhones per quarter, and Apple is at a mere 14% market share and stagnant globally. So BlackBerry isn't even planning to be in the chart.

If you want a phone for entertainment, BlackBerry is no longer a good choice. Music and Videos are already gone. The closure of Games (Scoreloop) has been announced as occurring by December 31 of this year and will be removed from BlackBerry 10 as of 10.3.1.
    No, BlackBerry aren't planning to ship 10 million units.

They said that to be profitable with hardware they'd need to ship a minimum of 10 million.

Posted via CB10
    LuvULongTime likes this.
    07-26-14 06:07 PM
40 12