I'm a new user to blackberry phones, so I may be incorrect on this, but so far I don't think so.

It would appear that RIM has told us all to f' off with their insanely stupid design. Why is it that they allow you to add additional memory to their phones via the microSD card, yet then make it impossible for any applications to use this memory to store their data. What a kick in the nuts.

I have the program TrackIt: Custom Edition, which probably some of you have as well, and with the rediculously small amount of phone memory that is provided by RIM phones, I can use up that space in no time.

Does anyone else find this design a royal insult? Do Windows Mobile phones suffer from this same problem... I doubt it.

What are your thoughts?
    01-05-08 03:36 PM
    Doesnt bother me at all!
    01-05-08 03:43 PM
    Have never had an issue with memory on my Pearl.
    01-05-08 03:55 PM
    I'm cool with it(BB), too

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    01-05-08 03:56 PM
    You just really have to know how to manage the memory you have,just like the rest here,i never had a problem with memory
    01-05-08 04:13 PM
    Its sort of irritating, but I don't use much memory

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    01-05-08 04:20 PM
    Yea I'm with everyone else on this one. Memory has NEVER been an issue with ANY of my BBs. I think 99.9999% of everyone is fine with this memory that is provided to us, don't like it head over to a IPhone or Treo or whatever else crap is out there.

Click
    01-05-08 04:27 PM
    Wow...JohnnyButtPimples...

Now that is imagination. I'm LOL.
    01-05-08 04:46 PM
    Unfortunately, the memory problem is BB's achilles heel. A large portion of the posts are directly or indirectly a result of the problem of inadequate device memory and problems managing memory. Yes, I have enormous problems. In fact, anyone who uses a BB for both consumer and corporate uses will run into major problems. One of the largest limiting factors is using any language programs -- many of the posts say save memory and delete these programs -- but this is no way to run an operating system, deleting extremely useful programs. That said, BB is far and away the best, they just need large improvements in this area.
    01-05-08 05:12 PM
    I agree with MDatt on that one but its still a lot better that WM phones.
    01-05-08 05:37 PM
    Wow...JohnnyButtPimples...

Now that is imagination. I'm LOL.

Ha Ha I give him an "A" for Creativity
    01-05-08 06:38 PM
    Wow...what a first post. Media cards in Blackberrys has only been a reality for a little over one year. Blackberry was built on a platform of security and removable memory cards obviously provide a security issue. That being said, I do agree that the RIM OS's have issues dealing with memory management. OS's prior to 4.2 didn't have this problem. IMO, 4.2 and newer OS's (especially 4.2.1) have been a disaster in terms of bugs, including memory issues.

Hopefully one day we'll be able to use these cards for more. The new 9000 devices coming out this year will have much more on-board memory so it's possible that we won't need use of the media card for applications.
    01-05-08 06:44 PM
    One of the largest limiting factors is using any language programs -- many of the posts say save memory and delete these programs -- but this is no way to run an operating system, deleting extremely useful programs. That said, BB is far and away the best, they just need large improvements in this area.
    "Limiting factor"? I'd say more of a user's preference. You have the choice to keep it or not. Everything comes with its own limit, otherwise they would stop creating something much better.

If memory is too small, wait for the 8920.
    01-05-08 06:51 PM
    I think 99.9999% of everyone is fine with this memory that is provided to us
    OK, after a couple of posts I see I need to adjust my percentage a little, 99.9998% Geesh, again if you don't like the memory go to the "Great" Iphone or better yet lol Get a Treo! HAHAHAHA Good Luck wit the memory one that! HA! Whiners,

Click
    01-05-08 06:58 PM
    I Have a smaller and limited blackberry. I have an 7130e but I have not had any memory problem

Every smartphone has negatives but once you use blackberry as one most users appreciate it. It made me addict
    01-05-08 07:30 PM
    I think people sometimes forget that a BlackBerry is not a mini computer for which you can upload any apps you need and be wirelessly free. Though it's called a "smartphone", it still needs the user to be smart enough not to forget its limitations and learn to accept it.
    01-05-08 07:33 PM
    I'm on my 14-day trial of a BB Curve, having had a Sidekick (most recently the LX) since 2003. Despite the frequent comments by BB users that the SK is a "toy," there are some aspects that the SK could learn from. Like the Curve, the LX has 64 mb of dynamic memory. In addition to that, however, it has another 64 mb of reserved flash, for swapping. The new Slide has 128 mb of shared memory. On the other hand, applications such as language apps simply aren't available on the SK platform, and aren't likely to appear. Nevertheless, I take the position that end users shouldn't have to concern themselves with memory management issues. The device should just work.
    01-05-08 07:41 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD