I cannot believe that at this time of year when so many people, especially teens, get new phones that BlackBerry is no where to be found.

No commercial specific to BlackBerry is one thing but every Bell, Rogers, Telus, Verizon or Fido commercial BlackBerry is no where to be found. A million and one Samsung devices followed by Sony and HTC in the background but no bb10.

Even the print advertising. I always look through every single flyer that comes to my house and the only BlackBerry phone to be seen anywhere was a Q5 at Best Buy. No other store or carrier that sells phones even make mention of BlackBerry.

This is insane. Even if you cut your advertising budget to save funds you would think that they would have had some in reserve to at leats advertise their flagship device the Z30. It was just recently released supposedly just in time for the fall / Christmas shopping season.

I know Frank was bad but I have to say doing absolutely nothing is worse.

By the way, what was all the billion dollar financing deal from Fairfax all about? Was that supposed to infuse the company with some operating capital to do such things as advertised their platform and OS?

Posted Via Q10 Super Phone
    Paisley Pirate likes this.
    12-12-13 10:14 AM
    I haven't seen any commercials, billboards, flyers, etc with anything BlackBerry in it. Kind of sad. It makes you wonder what that have planned for the future if they have something up their sleeve.
    12-12-13 10:16 AM
    Did BlackBerry have adds before today?

Frank messed up so bad, and unfortunately the timing of his exit means there may not be any adds for the season.

That's what happens when people don't do their job, and other people don't fire the people who don't do their job

Posted via CB10
    12-12-13 10:25 AM
    I see ads on cbc every day

Sent from my Z30
    12-12-13 10:29 AM
    This program was brought to you by blackberry, built to keep you moving, blah blah blah then shows the z30 z10 and q10

Sent from my Z30
    12-12-13 10:29 AM
    I'm glad that BlackBerry is being environmentally responsible, and is turning out some lights. I tell my kids all the time, "Hey, the power company ain't going broke!", but they...

Oh wait... thought you meant something else...

Visit Geek Lite
    12-12-13 10:37 AM
    In order for the carriers to advertise a phone like that it has to be their flagship device. I doesn't look like any of the carriers thought it would be worth it.
    kbz1960 and JeepBB like this.
    12-12-13 10:41 AM
    If they are indeed leaving the consumer market, at least for now to shore up enterprise, there's no point in advertising to the consumer market...
    12-12-13 10:47 AM
    In order for the carriers to advertise a phone like that it has to be their flagship device. I doesn't look like any of the carriers thought it would be worth it.
    I remember the commercial for the Z10 about the chick that was video chatting with her boss and showing her houses while the boss was on vacation was a Verizon commercial.

Other than that, I saw lots of BlackBerry commercials last winter/spring during the NCAA tournament, and lots of internet ads when streaming tv shows from the network websites. The one thing that always bothered me was that these commercials advertised the new BlackBerry devices, but made absolutely no mention that the OS was completely rebuilt and redesigned. I'm afraid people saw the Z10 and assumed it would be like the Storm or Torch, and saw the Q10 and assumed it was just another keyboard BlackBerry.
    12-12-13 10:53 AM
    I think the problem is that the ads that do exist are just not memorable. Campaigns also take a while to materialize. So if they only recently fired Frank, I don't think we will see any new campaigns for a bit.

Posted via CB10
    ajst222 and Paisley Pirate like this.
    12-12-13 10:59 AM
    I think the problem is that the ads that do exist are just not memorable.
    Posted via CB10
    That, or people don't recognize them as a BlackBerry commercial. Everyone knew the Bold glowing bike commercial, but many failed to recognize that it was showing of BBM. And last year I was watching the NCAA tourney with a friend and when the Keep Moving commercial came on I said "Ooh BlackBerry commercial" and my friend I was watching the game with said "Oh, this is a BlackBerry commercial?" He had seen it before, but not realized it was for BlackBerry.
    ajst222 and Paisley Pirate like this.
    12-12-13 11:05 AM
    That, or people don't recognize them as a BlackBerry commercial. Everyone knew the Bold glowing bike commercial, but many failed to recognize that it was showing of BBM. And last year I was watching the NCAA tourney with a friend and when the Keep Moving commercial came on I said "Ooh BlackBerry commercial" and my friend I was watching the game with said "Oh, this is a BlackBerry commercial?" He had seen it before, but not realized it was for BlackBerry.

Great point. The Keep Moving commercials could have been great except they took way too long to get to the point. By the time they did, people became uninterested and forgot the point.
    12-12-13 11:14 AM
    I've previously owned 3 bb devices in line. but here's the thing OP- i'm way too fed up of them. last two(legacy devices) took ~1min to load a google search page. and many a times hung up on me. my 9220 drained its battery within 3 hours of charge. senseless over expensive data plans. now when i switched to z10, honestly, it was lifeless. after taking it out of the box, i had no idea what to do with it. there were basically no apps of use. the conditions have improved now, but at a really slow rate.
    all i ask to myself is- why most of the people inhere do so much of shilling of a company whose CEO does nothing better than sending out open letters to its people saying 'we are still strong'.
    this isn't a war, its just a plain phone company, which had a potential, but lost all of it because of over confidence. and so many people take it so seriously.
    what kind of company expects teenagers to accept a phone with ~0 net browsing capabilities and hefty data plans, and then there was bb10, but by then, people moved to iphones and androids, because they always looked like a better deal as iphones has that premium feel and android has that practicality. goodbye blackberry

guess i've clearly explained you why bb went dark
    milo53 and bbq10l like this.
    12-12-13 11:28 AM
    Excellent observation. The Christmas/Holiday season is upon us and shoppers are out in force, yet BlackBerry is conspicuous by its absence from the holiday shopping advertising. Nothing in print, on radio or TV and really non-existent in the shops and stores. What gives? New devices have been released (Q5, Q10, Z10 and Z30) and yet there's is no noise to be heard. The devices sit buried amongst the competitors' offerings in the display cases with nothing to make them stand out or to tell consumers about their capabilities. It's like a car company launching for new models with great features and then parking them on the backlot of their dealerships without any promotions or advertising; out of sight out of mind. Holiday shopping dollars will be spent quickly in the last few weeks of December, so where is BlackBerry in all this. They have great devices but seem afraid to promote them. If they are going to turn the company around, part of the strategy must be to put as many BB10 devices in as many hands as possible. iPhone did that and soon corporate customers followed as companies listened to the preferences of their employees. I just don't get the "silence".

Posted via CB10
    12-12-13 11:31 AM
    I think the problem is that the ads that do exist are just not memorable. Campaigns also take a while to materialize. So if they only recently fired Frank, I don't think we will see any new campaigns for a bit.
    This is all true but there is one other issue and that is the issue of timing. During what are usually thought to be the biggest selling periods, Back to School, Black Friday, Christmas / Hannukah BlackBerry seems to go missing. That, I have never understood.
    12-12-13 11:54 AM
    If they are indeed leaving the consumer market, at least for now to shore up enterprise, there's no point in advertising to the consumer market...
    If there is no point in advertising in the consumer market, then why launch new devices and set them adrift and rudderless in the consumer marketplace? That just seems like a waste of time, money, resources and intellectual acumen. Enterprise is important but to continue in this manner will also put Enterprise in trouble as resources get spread thin and focus becomes diffuse. No win situation, if true.

Posted via CB10
    12-12-13 12:03 PM
    People have to start realizing that Blackberry cannot compete with Apple & Samsung in the consumer market. These companies are 100X bigger than Blackberry and have 10X the marketing budget and could probably spend more on marketing than BlackBerry spends on making the phones.

Play Starcraft? Join our Channel: C001242DE
    12-12-13 12:05 PM
    People have to start realizing that Blackberry cannot compete with Apple & Samsung in the consumer market. These companies are 100X bigger than Blackberry and have 10X the marketing budget and could probably spend more on marketing than BlackBerry spends on making the phones.
    Personally I do want them to compete against Apple or anyone else. Right now they need to be competing against their past and against current perception. Fix that and worry about Apple and Samsung later.
    12-12-13 12:36 PM
    I cannot believe that at this time of year when so many people, especially teens, get new phones that BlackBerry is no where to be found.

No commercial specific to BlackBerry is one thing but every Bell, Rogers, Telus, Verizon or Fido commercial BlackBerry is no where to be found. A million and one Samsung devices followed by Sony and HTC in the background but no bb10.

Even the print advertising. I always look through every single flyer that comes to my house and the only BlackBerry phone to be seen anywhere was a Q5 at Best Buy. No other store or carrier that sells phones even make mention of BlackBerry.

This is insane. Even if you cut your advertising budget to save funds you would think that they would have had some in reserve to at leats advertise their flagship device the Z30. It was just recently released supposedly just in time for the fall / Christmas shopping season.

I know Frank was bad but I have to say doing absolutely nothing is worse.

By the way, what was all the billion dollar financing deal from Fairfax all about? Was that supposed to infuse the company with some operating capital to do such things as advertised their platform and OS?

Posted Via Q10 Super Phone
    In the Bell holiday gift guide sent to my house s few days ago it had a Z10 in there but no mention of the Z30/Q10 but yeah its definitely a missed opportunity.

BlackBerry Z30 & Z10 | 10.2.1.1055 | C0006E212
    12-12-13 01:32 PM
    Id like to see some more adds too. But to be fair Ive seen a lot of BB sponsorship lately. Every Leafs home game has enough BlackBerry logos on the boards, and they Jays did too.
    12-12-13 01:47 PM
    Id like to see some more adds too. But to be fair Ive seen a lot of BB sponsorship lately. Every Leafs home game has enough BlackBerry logos on the boards, and they Jays did too.
    Raptors have as well. They also sponsor the Brooklyn Nets basketball team.

BlackBerry Z30 & Z10 | 10.2.1.1055 | C0006E212
    12-12-13 03:39 PM
    I see ads on cbc every day
    I don't know where the OP is from, but it seems BlackBerry has a completely different presence in Canada than in other countries. That makes sense, of course, but it makes these conversations difficult. It's always "BlackBerry doesn't advertise" or "BlackBerry isn't available at any shops" and then it's....

"BlackBerry is available everywhere (in Canada)"

"BlackBerry advertises all the time (in Canada)"

"BlackBerry works fine with banks (in Canada)"

...Etc.

Sent from my iPhone 5S using Tapatalk
    12-12-13 06:46 PM
    It's not advertising as such, but I have seen a Q10 in a President's choice commercial here in Canada. The commercial shows two people walking around a supermarket and looking thru the ads on a Q10.

Posted via CB10
    12-12-13 08:40 PM
    Enterprise sales do not require consumer advertising. How often do you see IBM advertising?
    bbq10l likes this.
    12-12-13 09:04 PM
    I remember the commercial for the Z10 about the chick that was video chatting with her boss and showing her houses while the boss was on vacation was a Verizon commercial.

Other than that, I saw lots of BlackBerry commercials last winter/spring during the NCAA tournament, and lots of internet ads when streaming tv shows from the network websites. The one thing that always bothered me was that these commercials advertised the new BlackBerry devices, but made absolutely no mention that the OS was completely rebuilt and redesigned. I'm afraid people saw the Z10 and assumed it would be like the Storm or Torch, and saw the Q10 and assumed it was just another keyboard BlackBerry.
    That's exactly it, If they actually explained that they built a whole new OS for the new phones, instead of just "Time Shift this.. video chat that.. blah blah" then maybe I wouldn't have to have explained to my friends over the last 9 months why I bought a "Old BlackBerry, That takes forever to restart, has no games at all and needs restarting ever 24 hours" and maybe more of them would have gotten one too.

Posted via CB10
    12-12-13 09:16 PM
33 12