This is my first BB, but my last phone (cheap motorola) would obtain it's location and find directions much faster than the Tour.

It takes at least several minutes for mine to determine it's location, even when there's a good signal.
    09-21-09 12:45 PM
    This is my first BB, but my last phone (cheap motorola) would obtain it's location and find directions much faster than the Tour.

It takes at least several minutes for mine to determine it's location, even when there's a good signal.
    No issues here. Mine is extremely fast at locking on while using google maps.
    09-21-09 12:50 PM
    sucks...my gps was a laggy too
    09-21-09 12:51 PM
    That's weird. I'm sitting inside my house and started mine up to see. It acquired 8 satellites in approx 5 seconds.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    09-21-09 01:07 PM
    I don't have any problems with mine, using Google Latitude.
    09-21-09 01:22 PM
    Weird, is that true even with bb maps?
    09-21-09 01:47 PM
    Mine is ninja quick. Even sitting inside, I get a GPS lock when I am using Poynt. I haven't tried inside with Google Maps.
    09-21-09 02:02 PM
    Mine can be quick or take up to a few minutes depending on conditions (inside, outside, moving car, not moving, etc). If you think this is slow you should try some stand alone GPS units from years ago :-)
    09-21-09 02:04 PM
    To OP, did you turn your GPS Locator on?
    09-21-09 02:31 PM
    Yeah, GPS is on.

Can somebody confirm that BB maps loads in under a minute or two?

I went to Vzw store today and they said I could call in for a replacement phone. But I don't want to take the chance of getting a refurb if BB Maps just always takes indefinitely long.
    09-21-09 03:51 PM
    Here's the answer you're looking for:

Third-party apps are unable to use aGPS servers, and are limited to using autonomous GPS mode only. This means it will require a little bit of time to acquire satellite signals and calculate position, just like any other standalone GPS unit would. On the other hand, your old Motorola phone was able to use the aGPS (assisted GPS) servers to more quickly determine your position.

That being said, autonomous GPS really shouldn't take that long. Takes about 10-20 seconds on apps like Poynt and WHERE for me. If you need something quicker, you can try Verizon's nav software which will be able to use aGPS.
    09-21-09 05:06 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD