I know everyone was talking about how BB10 would present a unified OS, in contrast to the fragmentation that people like to claim is on Android, so I was wondering why there aren't more threads on the massive fragmentation seen on BB10 already, even with only 2-3 devices.

I owned a Z at launch, and for all it's flaws, it had some decent games.
    I did a backup when I sold and switched to my Q, which is a better fit for me, and got my games transferred over, including, for example, jetpack joyride.
    A friend asked me if the Q or Z was better, I said Q, couldn't think of many drawbacks, and then he got it and couldn't get jetpack joyride. He also couldn't get many other games.
    When we looked into it, we found that I had the games transferred over because I did a backup, but without that I wouldn't have been able to load them on the Q either, as the devs have chosen to make them Z only.

It runs fine by the way on the Q, with no issues. The screen is obviously smaller, but I can't see why BlackBerry are even offering the choice to devs to develop for the Z and not the Q.

Apps should run on both devices, with devs able to tweak the app for better functioning on one or the other, but not exclude one device altogether.

It's very frustrating when James does reviews of new games every so often, I look for a timepass, and find it Z only, like >95% of the games he's reviewed in the last few months have been.

The Q is supposed to be a media and gaming improvement over the 9900, yet all the games or most of them are Z only, so what exactly are we using the extra screen real estate that brought about the lack of a trackpad for?
    Do any other Q owners feel shortchanged by BlackBerry's willingness to allow fragmentation and exclusion of Q owners, even this early in the game?
    kbz1960 likes this.
    08-27-13 02:55 AM
    Maybe game developers just can't imagine how anyone could enjoy their game on that dinky little screen?

Posted via CB10
    David in Durham likes this.
    08-27-13 03:14 AM
    More like screen real estate issue. Q series' screen is square 1:1, while games are primarily developed for wide screen these days.

STL 100-1 10.1.0.273
    08-27-13 03:16 AM
    While the screen is definitely smaller, as I said, jetpack joyride for example is still fun, but just isn't officially available.

Surely we should be able to opt for the smaller screen and still use the apps or games, and draw our own conclusions on how usable it is, rather than it just not being made available?

Otherwise it's quickly going to reach a situation where the Q has a fraction of the apps the Z does, and even the Z isn't exactly loaded up with apps and games.
    And again, this seems to me to be an early example of fragmentation, that will only get worse in a hurry if it's not checked now.
    08-27-13 03:25 AM
    So what does Jetpack Joyride look like on the Q10? Are there black bars on the top and bottom of the screen?
    08-27-13 06:14 AM
    In my humble opinion, playable and just fine when you're used to the screen for everything else.
    And keep in mind this is not optimised for the Q in any way by the dev, it's not even available for the Q, this is just how it works when it's taken out of the devs hands to restrict by device, and transferred by Link.
    I really hope BlackBerry make apps available for everyone, and do not allow fragmentation.

Why the fragmentation on BB10?-img_00001749.png

Posted via CB10
    notfanboy likes this.
    08-27-13 06:33 AM
    Oh so the aspect ratio is changed to make the horizontal narrower. Interesting.
    08-27-13 06:58 AM
    I download a lot of games from APK but like my PS3 more but there are good games on blackberry world.
    08-27-13 07:02 AM
    Oh so the aspect ratio is changed to make the horizontal narrower. Interesting.
    Interesting, and it boggles my mind, when the OS clearly does this automatically, why does BlackBerry allow devs to restrict access to apps based on the BB10 device used?
    There's already a huge gap in Z and Q apps, and it's just going to get bigger, and alienate the keyboard users more and more as time goes by, unless they change this.
    08-27-13 07:05 AM
    Interesting, and it boggles my mind, when the OS clearly does this automatically, why does BlackBerry allow devs to restrict access to apps based on the BB10 device used?
    There's already a huge gap in Z and Q apps, and it's just going to get bigger, and alienate the keyboard users more and more as time goes by, unless they change this.
    Surely if you're a halfbrick shareholder don't want people to go around claiming "halfbrick is so cr**py, they can't even get the aspect ratio right"

It's just common sense. One man's garbage is another's treasure, but that won't change the fact that it's a garbage for one man, and that one man can very well convince the other man that it's a garbage too

EDIT:
    Wait, this proves that BlackBerry 10 has a graphics engine that can automagically change aspect ratio of apps!

STL 100-1 10.1.0.273
    08-27-13 07:56 AM
    BB10 is not the modern OS that I expected. So many here in the beginning talked about the fragmentation of Android and how with the new BlackBerry OS we would all be on the same page, that developers wouldn't have to worry about each new upgrade breaking the applications, and that BlackBerry would fix the problems that developers have with the traditional small square screens on BlackBerries. And we just all assumed that we wouldn't have to worry about updates anymore that BlackBerry would push out updates to devices directly just like Apple does and just like they did with the original PlayBook.

Here we are 3 years later and even the same single device has four variants that don't all use the same OS. And applications that run fine on a Z10 don't look right or don't run at all on the Q10 or Q5. And low and behold carriers still control updates and yes updates do still "break" applications.

What we expect of the new BlackBerry platform is not what Thor has managed to provide. Of course if BlackBerry had worked with the fan base to manage expectations, maybe we wouldn't have expected so much from them.
    kbz1960 and imz like this.
    08-27-13 09:21 AM

What we expect of the new BlackBerry platform is not what Thor has managed to provide. Of course if BlackBerry had worked with the fan base to manage expectations, maybe we wouldn't have expected so much from them.
    To be fair it was the fan base who worked themselves up into a lather with high expectations. There were so many posts about microkernel, RTOS, transparent distribute processing, Neutrino that QNX was built up to some unrealistic superhero status.
    08-27-13 11:10 AM
    People are actually arguing that the Q10 and Q5 can manage to have all the same apps as the Z10 even with almost half the screen space??? Where's the logic??

Posted via CB10
    rthonpm likes this.
    08-27-13 11:20 AM
    People are actually arguing that the Q10 and Q5 can manage to have all the same apps as the Z10 even with almost half the screen space??? Where's the logic??

Posted via CB10
    The logic is this creates fragmentation which developers don't like which in turn makes developers avoid the platform. Ever use legacy? Developers always said it was a nightmare to code for each and every phone differently.
    mikeo007 likes this.
    08-27-13 11:31 AM
    Surely if you're a halfbrick shareholder don't want people to go around claiming "halfbrick is so cr**py, they can't even get the aspect ratio right"

It's just common sense. One man's garbage is another's treasure, but that won't change the fact that it's a garbage for one man, and that one man can very well convince the other man that it's a garbage too

EDIT:
    Wait, this proves that BlackBerry 10 has a graphics engine that can automagically change aspect ratio of apps!

STL 100-1 10.1.0.273
    I agree on all points.
    Its awesome there's an automagical converter to make sure the apps run on all displays in bb10.
    And I'm sure someone at the studios feels that the q aspect ratios aren't optimum for its games.

The point is, we buy the q cos we feel we are happy with that device and screen size.
    If you leave it in the hands of the devs, they will restrict access to only all touch slabs, and the q will fall far behind in app and game availability.

The trackpad was dropped for games and media, then someone make the stupid decision to have different aspect ratios, then they allow devs to treat the q devices as poor relations? Doesn't make sense, on all counts.
    It should be out of the hands of the devs and up to end users.

Posted via CB10
    08-27-13 11:45 AM

Posted via CB10
    Yes, people buy the q cos they're happy with that screen size, if the os can run it we should have the option on apps and games.

By your logic, many people would agree that media isn't best for enjoyment on a small screen, should they also not include the media player app in q devices cos some people feel the screen is too small?

Posted via CB10
    08-27-13 11:47 AM
    Similar question, how does youtube or other full screen video apps look on the Q10? Are there black boxes on the top and bottom? Or is the picture squeezed into a square layout?
    08-27-13 11:51 AM
    The Q and Z are targeting different markets: the Q10 is more for the mobile communications and email set, while the Z is positioned more as the media device. Yes, there is a larger screen but for some developers it may not be worth the time to try and scale down their game for the smaller screen size, especially depending on what's supposed to be on the screen at a particular time, or how the game play is supposed to work: smaller screen size also means smaller on screen controls so you get to a point where you've gotten too small of a control to make the game work.
    08-27-13 12:04 PM
    It isn't just an OS10 issue, it is lazy developers. This happened to me in the past when I went from a Torch 9800 to a Torch 9810. The two torches had different screen resolutions and OS7 vs OS6, but I moved some 9800 apps over to the 9810 which weren't available direct from BBW on the 9810. They weren't pretty on the larger screen resolution but they ran fine. Eventually I bugged the developers enough that they rewrote a portion of the app to properly scale on the larger screen.

This happens when developers don't take the time to work out the device physical differences properly. I believe this happens between the Z10, Q10 and the Q5.

Posted via CB10 1.4.2 on Z10 10.1.0.4181 on the Rogers Network
    08-27-13 12:08 PM
    Does anything bbry says ever come to happen? What was all the bs about not having fragmentation like on bbos and it seems there is and will be. Amazing.
    08-27-13 12:14 PM
    Similar question, how does youtube or other full screen video apps look on the Q10? Are there black boxes on the top and bottom? Or is the picture squeezed into a square layout?
    Heres a youtube screen shot, depending on the format, its not bad, good enough for me if I want to look something up while on the go.
    Why the fragmentation on BB10?-img_00000116.png

Heres Jetpack joyride, which works perfectly fine. I have mine sideloaded since its not available for the Q.
    Why the fragmentation on BB10?-img_00000113.png

Posted via CB10
    08-27-13 12:19 PM
    Thanks. That looks ok to me.
    08-27-13 12:22 PM
    The Q and Z are targeting different markets: the Q10 is more for the mobile communications and email set, while the Z is positioned more as the media device. Yes, there is a larger screen but for some developers it may not be worth the time to try and scale down their game for the smaller screen size, especially depending on what's supposed to be on the screen at a particular time, or how the game play is supposed to work: smaller screen size also means smaller on screen controls so you get to a point where you've gotten too small of a control to make the game work.
    What this guy said.

Basically, you only have so much screen real estate that after all is said and done, the interface simply won't work.

Games are being developed with wide screen in mind. Take, for example, Jetpack Joyride, you can't compact the screen while still maintaining overall vision at acceptable size: the game relies on looking ahead, and the less wide screen your screen is, the less distance ahead you can see, it's going to be a disadvantage.

Unless the devs can take advantage of the physical keys present, they'll always use some of the screen real estate as controls UI, and that's not going to help much for Q series

STL 100-1 10.1.0.273
    08-27-13 12:22 PM
    The developers don't have to do anything, the os does it all. Its not even like controls etc get hidden off screen, the os makes sure everything is on screen, all the time.

This is purely devs choosing which device to have access to their games and apps, and BlackBerry supporting them, which it shouldn't unless it wants to kill it's keyboard market.

Re the poster asking about vids etc, widescreen vids play with a bar at the top and bottom. Again, this is user choice. Imagine youtube blocking widescreen vids on the q, it would be daft.

Posted via CB10
    08-27-13 12:23 PM
    What this guy said.

Basically, you only have so much screen real estate that after all is said and done, the interface simply won't work.

Games are being developed with wide screen in mind. Take, for example, Jetpack Joyride, you can't compact the screen while still maintaining overall vision at acceptable size: the game relies on looking ahead, and the less wide screen your screen is, the less distance ahead you can see, it's going to be a disadvantage.

Unless the devs can take advantage of the physical keys present, they'll always use some of the screen real estate as controls UI, and that's not going to help much for Q series

STL 100-1 10.1.0.273
    Sorry, as has been explained before, the game runs just fine, with no issues at all. The os takes care of that.

Amazing how people are willing to just give up on the q using these apps and games without even giving it a chance.

Posted via CB10
    08-27-13 12:25 PM
77 123 ...