I recently changed to a blackberry Z10 from a Nokia N9 and before that a N8. I also had an Android smartphone for a short period of time.

The battery life on the N8 was absolutely amazing, with 3 emails account and medium use it would stand up 3-4 days!

I then changed to a Nokia N9 which would stand 2-3 days.

I have now been using a Z10 for nearly 4 months and the battery life is very average with 1-1.5day.

Overall I do not regret changing to BB10 as I love the hub and find it extremely practical. I even find some gestures as intuitive as on the N9 but I don't understand why people are trying to sell BlackBerry as being the brand for battery life?

Cheers

Posted via CB10
    12-21-14 07:30 AM
    Z10 battery has always been pretty short time for usage. I still get a day out of mine easy, but other users report much less than this. The bigger battery on the Z30 and the Passport do seem to offer a longer time between charges from user reports, but even these fail in comparison to my IPhone 6+ which can go for 3 days plus on a charge. Still I love my little old Z10 though, even with the short battery life it has though. It is now relegated to my work phone rather than my personal phone, but still thinks it is a great phone none the less.

Posted via CB10
    sentimentGX4 likes this.
    12-21-14 07:37 AM
    Thanks for the answer!
    I don't understand why BlackBerry fans are trying to sell their devices on battery life when as you just agreed is only average. The only outcome I see is disappointing new users.
    Why not 'brag' about the hub, blend, security, performances?

Posted via CB10 and a Z10
    12-21-14 07:43 AM
    I used a Nokia E7, which had the very same specs of the N8 including battery, but featured a larger 4" display compared to the N8's 3.5".
    In short the E7 was on par with the Bold 9900, lasted me for roughly an average working day. I don't know how you manage to squeeze 3-4 days out of it, on the E7 this was only possible if you basically just leave the phone alone most of the time. Maybe check your mails once an hour.

The legendary battery with BlackBerry came from previous devices, OS5 and 6, maybe even 7 excluding the 9900/9930, which had rather small batteries.
    The Z10 also isn't actually known as a longrunner, have a look at the Z30 or Passport, also I am quite satisfied with the Q10 - the new Classic should be similar.

Posted via CB10
    Mric182 likes this.
    12-21-14 07:45 AM
    The Z10 has been known for bad battery life since release. It's an exception to the rest of the bb10 lineup. Don't go by the Z10 even though it has got better since release.
    12-21-14 07:50 AM
    The thing here you have to compare the comparable. Hint: Why don't you tell us more about the battery performance of the android device you owned, if for a short period. Also, most of the people now who talk about battery performance are referring to Passport; again, compare the comparable, grab a Passport and put him on the bench with other same league device.

Posted from Angband using the mighty Hammer of the Underworld, my Q10
    12-21-14 07:53 AM
    Fair enough: The Android device that I owned was an 'Archos' running Android Gingerbread and the battery life was quite bad (roughly 1 day). I did not mention it initially because I don't know if the poor battery life is due to the hardware or the software.
    I like the size of the Z10 and I do not want to change to a Z30 or passport. Is there 3rd party battery with higher capacity available for the z10?

Cheers

12-21-14 08:03 AM
    The Z10 battery is replaceable. That's the 'brag' part. Otherwise it's weaker than most batteries, but that makes total sense if it's replaceable. Am I making any sense? 'Wall hugging" is killed 100%. In under 1minute you have a fresh battery.

Posted via CB10
    12-21-14 08:11 AM
    The Z10 battery is replaceable. That's the 'brag' part. Otherwise it's weaker than most batteries, but that makes total sense if it's replaceable. Am I making any sense? 'Wall hugging" is killed 100%. In under 1minute you have a fresh battery.

Posted via CB10
    And at least two minutes before everything has rebooted.

Posted via CB10
    12-21-14 08:14 AM
    Because in the past, most BB's did have decent battery life, which still has to be taken with a grain of salt. The older devices had small screens with an OS that wasn't good for much besides messaging and phone calls that didn't get the use like phones of today do as far as web browsing and media. But even with those devices battery life sometimes suffered, as the 9900's battery life was terrible.

It has always been something from the past to cling to by saying that BB's have amazing battery life, even though most of those references were from phones from years ago. The Z30 does improve on battery life significantly over the Z10 (which isn't saying a lot) but the Z30's battery life isn't some world beating battery that everyone makes it out to be. Its better than the Z10 but its not some battery changing experience that shames all other batteries (even though people make it out to be). I will say that the Passport does have great battery life though, which I would attribute to its massive battery, which is a good thing.
    Last edited by donnation; 12-21-14 at 09:57 AM.
    kbz1960, sentimentGX4 and Mric182 like this.
    12-21-14 08:37 AM
    Thanks for the answer!
    I don't understand why BlackBerry fans are trying to sell their devices on battery life when as you just agreed is only average. The only outcome I see is disappointing new users.
    Why not 'brag' about the hub, blend, security, performances?

The z10 is the only BlackBerry phone with shyt battery life
    12-21-14 08:49 AM
    The Z30 does improve on battery life significantly over the Z10 (which isn't saying a lot) but the Z30's battery life isn't some world beating battery that everyone makes it out to be. Its better than the Z10 but its not some battery changing experience that shames all other batteries (even though people make it out to be). I will say that the Passport does have great battery life though, which I would attribute to its massive battery, which is a good thing.
    Thanks for the quick and honest reply. I am actually impress that people on crackberry are so open minded about their devices. I will have a look on amazon if I cannot find a higher capacitance battery and than I will be very very happy with my Z10.
    Thanks again.

12-21-14 08:54 AM
    I don't understand why people are trying to sell BlackBerry as being the brand for battery life?
    Clearly whoever said that didn't thought about a Nokia 5110.

Cave, cave, moderator videt
    12-21-14 08:56 AM
    If it gets me through the day, I'm happy. And my Z10 has never failed to go 12-14 hours the way I use it and I often have 40-50% left at the end of the day. I charge every night as I use it as a bedside clock and alarm.

I know there are devices with better battery life, but that aspect doesn't matter to me. The HUB, BBM and the way everything works is what makes BlackBerry attractive to me. I just hope they come out with an upgraded all touch device at some point.

Posted via CB10 with my Awesome Z10
    12-21-14 09:07 AM
    Z10 battery has always been pretty short time for usage. I still get a day out of mine easy, but other users report much less than this. The bigger battery on the Z30 and the Passport do seem to offer a longer time between charges from user reports, but even these fail in comparison to my IPhone 6+ which can go for 3 days plus on a charge. Still I love my little old Z10 though, even with the short battery life it has though. It is now relegated to my work phone rather than my personal phone, but still thinks it is a great phone none the less.

Posted via CB10
    The iPhone 6 does not have a better battery than my passport. I'd love to see the iPhone go for three days, I can show you my passport go for three days.

Posted via CB10
    12-21-14 09:09 AM
    The Z10's battery sucks. And BB10 OS is nowhere near as good on standby as other OSes, but it usually has better "talk time".
    12-21-14 09:13 AM

Posted via CB10
    Under 1 minute. Now that's funny! Or were you just describing how long it takes to insert a new battery....and not including the additional 4 minutes for the phone to restart?
    RoseBud68 and olga421 like this.
    12-21-14 09:46 AM
    The iPhone 6 does not have a better battery than my passport. I'd love to see the iPhone go for three days, I can show you my passport go for three days.

Posted via CB10
    You're comparing an elephant to an ant here in terms of size. Of course the Passport gets better battery life than the iPhone 6, it is huge and has a massive battery in it. A better comparison is the iPhone 6Plus vs. the Passport which I can tell you from personal experience that the iPhone 6Plus gets equally as good battery life. Again though battery life is all relevant on how you use your phone. I have a Z30 and an iPhone 6 Plus and the 6 plus kills the Z30 in battery life and can easily go 2 full days. The Z30 can makes it about 7 hours for me if I use it like I use the iPhone 6Plus and how I used the Passport when I had it. When I had the Passport I could also go full two days although I'd give a slight edge to the Passport.

Comparing the Z10 to an iPhone in terms of size would be comparing the it to the regular iPhone 6, which blows the Z10 away in battery life. Not really a fair comparison though because the Z10 is two years old.
    12-21-14 10:12 AM
    Which BlackBerry? There are several.

and who are 'Everybody'?
    12-21-14 10:22 AM
    The z10 has the worst battery life in may phone I have used.

I don't change batteries cause my phone has a case. I don't like removing the case. So, I use several carry on batteries that I use to replenish the battery as needed.

Also, another annoying thing is that when battery is a 20%. The phone will shutdown.

So, the battery life is way worst due to this.

Posted via CB10
    12-21-14 10:24 AM
    Z10 didn't have good battery life for me. The fact you can go 1.5 days on the z10 is amazing.

As long as I can get you through the day it's good for me. My z30 can go two days but it's not a strong selling feature for me.

On the other hand my samsung note 2 is sucking badly in the battery department. It gets charged throughout the day and that frustrates me.

Posted via CB10
    12-21-14 10:28 AM
    You can buy a huge honking battery on Amazon for the z10. It,s a Chinese made retrofit that basically doubles the battery size and battery life. However it requires a different back cover to allow room for the extra battery girth. Fortunately it ships with the required cover. It's not the same quality as oem but worked perfectly for me for about a year before the battery gave out. As I recall it was quite cheap, around $20, so not a big deal to replace. That was a couple of years back so I don't know if this is still being listed/sold.

Posted via CB10
    12-21-14 10:35 AM
    I have used 90% of phones ranging from samsung S5 to Sony Xperia Z2 to Moto G to HTC One M8 to Nokia Lumia 1320 to LG G2 then am using a BlackBerry Q10. To be frank, BlackBerry Q10 bests them hands down. BlackBerry has a great battery life, I have used BlackBerry bold 9000, BlackBerry bold 9700, BlackBerry curve 1,2 and 9360, BlackBerry Pearl 9905, BlackBerry touch 9800, 9810 and 9860, BlackBerry style, all BlackBerry 10 phones except Passport and classic, BlackBerry is the best product to choose when it comes to battery. Am a gadget freak so down get me wrong, am accurate.

Posted via CB10
    12-21-14 10:53 AM

Posted via CB10
    I did not say the IPhone 6, I said the IPhone 6+. And for my usage I can get three days out of it, although I normally start to charge it up when it has about 20% charge left, which is normally 2 1/2 days.

Posted via CB10
    12-21-14 11:17 AM
    I have had issues with my Q10 but I know this a more a software issue. Generally my battery is great, I charge it at night but that's just because of the habit I'm in plus I like starting my day with a full battery.

But occasionally my Q10 feels hot and I know right away that I need to restart the device because for some reason something triggers a high battery burn. Usually it's bbm which doesn't even make sense to me. I hardly use bbm and I check my battery usage and there bbm is taking 50%. The only way I know how to break the cycle is to restart the device.

For example a couple of days ago my phone was hot and the battery was at 60%. I shut down all active windows. A couple hours later it was at 6% and it was still hot. I was able to plug it in and charge it until it was 50%. I didn't touch the phone and left it in my pocket and 2 hours later I pull it out to check something and the battery is down to 10%. I look at the usage and bbm has been sucking the battery dry. Like what is going on?

Posted via CB10
    12-21-14 11:19 AM
42 12