I love it when people see my Z10 and ask me why I don't have an iPhone. Its like they expect me to say that I was forced into getting a BlackBerry when obviously the only phone anyone would ever want is an iPhone...

Instead, I tell them the truth, I had an iPhone and just didn't like how little I could do with it compared to my BlackBerry. When I say that, they become very interested.

Posted via my Z10
    JesseBabe23 and stlabrat like this.
    04-19-14 07:24 PM
    Hey I'm 21 and I use a BlackBerry! Before my Q10, I was using a Symbian phone

I don't like Iphones because
    - **** battery life
    - **** keyboard (and even no swype)
    - no SD card
    - not removable battery. No matter how good a phone is, without a proper battery, it is just ****.
    - some apple users. Some of the Apple product consumers I see (including my sister, unfortunately) tend to have this personal connection with Apple, and they have to try to convert others to using Apple products, kind of like a religion. I did not want to take any part of that.

And the whole expensive price thing, I could have paid couple hundred dollars more for an iPhone if I really wanted it, but I really could not see the point.

However, I still wish Symbian was around. My BlackBerry is still missing some functions from my old Nokia N8

As for Samsung, I am from Korea and I can tell you that Samsung is not an ethical company at all.
    - samsung factory workers in Korea get sick and they do not receive any treatment, and some even die of cancer from working with toxic materials and they do not get any kind of compensation.

So all that leaves me with BlackBerry, although I am still not sure how ethical BlackBerry is. I sure hope they are.
    04-20-14 12:26 AM

As for Samsung, I am from Korea and I can tell you that Samsung is not an ethical company at all.
    - samsung factory workers in Korea get sick and they do not receive any treatment, and some even die of cancer from working with toxic materials and they do not get any kind of compensation.

So all that leaves me with BlackBerry, although I am still not sure how ethical BlackBerry is. I sure hope they are.
    Sadly, this happens to every company. It's not sunshine and rainbows where they build their products. Companies want profit and they try the best their can to exploit cheap labor from the poor part of some countries.
    04-20-14 12:32 AM
    I think because owning an iOS or Android device has become a fashion statement and a way to get into the circle than messaging, productivity and security.
    JesseBabe23 likes this.
    04-20-14 12:53 AM
    Sadly, this happens to every company. It's not sunshine and rainbows where they build their products. Companies want profit and they try the best their can to exploit cheap labor from the poor part of some countries.
    He may be talking about Samsung's petrochemical factories. The do a lot more than make technology.

Posted via CB10
    04-20-14 01:36 AM
    Young people don't care, honestly. I have a Q10 and an iPhone 5 and I carry around both. and I'm 20. The first question when I am using my BlackBerry as my primary phone is, "Does it have Instagram? Snapchat?" And, being completely honest, no, it does not. Most kids don't want to have to worry about sideloading and using Snap to get Android apps when everything they could possibly ever want in apps is already available on iPhone or Android.

I also agree with other people saying it's a sheep mentality. I feel self conscious, even though I don't care so much what people think, when I am using my BlackBerry because you can tell people are looking at you and thinking, "Is this 2007? Where's your iPhone?" The people that don't think peer pressure happens in high school, and even in college sometimes must have forgotten what it was like back when they were my age. It's everywhere, and while all of your friends are FaceTiming and iMessaging, using emoji's, I'm over here telling them, "Please stop sending me emoji's because all I see is a box." I also agree with people saying cases are a big factor. Apps, being cool, and cases are all factors in why young people my age don't really like BlackBerries.
    With BlackBerry new update 10.2.1 you don't need to sideload or "SNAP". Just find a apk and download it and install. I thought everyone on cb already new this.

Posted via CB10
    04-20-14 02:55 PM
    If it had to be boiled down to one thing (and it never is), Apps. Close runners up would be the 'cool' factor, and aesthetics.
    Agreed. Actually with many younger people liking keyboards, I think blackberry would have a bigger share of this demographic if the apps were there.

Posted via CB10
    JesseBabe23 likes this.
    04-20-14 02:57 PM
    I'm 15 now and ALL of my friends only knew about the bb07 devices. They don't care when they see all the things that I can do with my Z10. They only see the company that made the bb07 devices. BlackBerry should make more advertising wehere they show all features. And the have to bring Instagramm, Snapchat, Temple run clash of clans and co to BlackBerry. That's the only way they would buy BlackBerry's.

Posted via CB10
    04-20-14 05:42 PM
    games and anything else to waste time non-productively
    Yes because you must be productive 100% of the time and never have time for anything else. Sheesh, the "you are only productive if you use a BlackBerry" statement is so overdone and simply just not true. I guess that 99% of the population is living unproductive lives because they don't own a BlackBerry.

Give me a break.

Posted via CrackBerry App
    04-20-14 07:41 PM
    BlackBerry is now synonymous with outdated, laggy, app-less devices that can only text and email, basically BBOS. Back when most phones couldn't do this, they were cool. The market changed and while BlackBerry had made a new OS to adapt, they have done nothing to attempt to change the image or tell people their is a new OS. Most people still think BlackBerry 10 devices are like BBOS, and the overwhelming majority if people have a negative view of BBOS, no matter what the few squeaky wheels here say.

Posted via CB10
    04-20-14 07:46 PM
    Young people don't like BlackBerry's, because it's seen as a serious phone for people who are productive, hard working, and smart. It's the type of phone an entrepreneur would use, or a doctor, lawyer, politicians and government officials, and anybody who deals in security and secrecy. It's also seen as a phone of rich and powerful people. All of this is what the youth of today stand against. They are like the hippies of the 60s and 70s. They don't believe in owning a home or having a nice car, working hard and having an important job, financial security and independence, and getting ahead is cruel, because it's unfair to others. Frankly, the youth can keep their iPhones, because while they are waiting in line to spend even more money on the same phone they bought last year and talking peace and love, we BlackBerry people will be running the world they live in.

To the youth that are using BlackBerry's, glad to have you on the BlackBerry side.

Posted via CB10 on BlackBerry Z30 (Verizon)
    skstrials likes this.
    04-20-14 08:19 PM
    Yes because you must be productive 100% of the time and never have time for anything else. Sheesh, the "you are only productive if you use a BlackBerry" statement is so overdone and simply just not true. I guess that 99% of the population is living unproductive lives because they don't own a BlackBerry.

Give me a break.

Posted via CrackBerry App
    It is not that Androids and Iphones are not productive, it is just that being productive is not their first priority.

For example, most phones have sacrificed long battery life and one hand usability for large 16 by 9 screens for that full screen video watching and gaming, while BlackBerry offers Q10 for people who need the extra battery life and the physical keyboard for communication.

Or how about the internal battery trend that Iphone started? Do people really want to sacrifice being able to swap batteries on the go, for "high build quality" that they are just going to cover up with a case anyways?

And while you can certainly waste your time on a BlackBerry, you feel constantly that BlackBerry focused on being productive more so than other OSes on the market right now, whether in the hub or the lack of fancy animations and color decorations in the OS.
    Last edited by skstrials; 04-20-14 at 08:40 PM.
    04-20-14 08:28 PM
    It's cooler for Mummy and Daddy to buy them an iPhone these days.

To those embracing the Blackberry way of life, fair play to you!

In reality, when I owned an original Blackberry Pearl 8100 from memory the Blackberry services (BBM in particular) didn't require any form of top up on my pre paid handset for the services to stay active and the youth embraced this 'Free' messaging and it was cool to use and one of the first of it's kind if not the first mainstream messaging service.
    As time progressed and the service was open to abuse because of this 'Free' service the network I was on then started to stop the services unless you topped up your phone by X amount each month, then the service books were activated again to allow the service.

Over here you say top up by �10 and �5 of that gets taken off for the Blackberry services. If you have an Android for example you can put the full �10 on and use WhatsApp for free. Sure you can get WhatsApp on the blackberry but most youth around here go for Android because there is far more choice in handsets from a few �� to major ���.

It's also surprising the amount of people I have spoken to at the local youth community don't actually know you can run Android Apps on the Blackberry, albeit not all will run but a substantial amount will.
    04-20-14 08:41 PM
    Perhaps "young people" prioritize social media, so apps are a must on their mobile device. When I was a "young" person (as defined by the OP's 18-24 category), we didn't have all that Facebook and other social media. Regardless, I myself owned a Blackberry at that age and almost 10 yrs later, I still use a Blackberry. I've recently observed that it isn't just "young people" who prefer iOS and/or Android to Blackberry. Several of my University professors, PhDs, used/still use iPhones. To each his own.

Posted via CB10
    digitladestined likes this.
    04-20-14 08:42 PM
    My point still stands. Its a third party app, what if Instagram changes their APIs or they even ask igrann to be taken down? All of those are possibilities so if a consumer isn't into side loading I wouldn't say there is Instagram, there's an Instagram client though. Just like other apps such as snapchat, tinder, vine.

Posted via the Android CrackBerry App!
    Facebook is not stupid. Igrann will not be taken down. And I downloaded it for free so I don't know where you were charged. And it's a better app then Insta gram.

Posted via CB10
    JesseBabe23 likes this.
    04-20-14 08:45 PM
    Young people don't care, honestly. I have a Q10 and an iPhone 5 and I carry around both. and I'm 20. The first question when I am using my BlackBerry as my primary phone is, "Does it have Instagram? Snapchat?" And, being completely honest, no, it does not. Most kids don't want to have to worry about sideloading and using Snap to get Android apps when everything they could possibly ever want in apps is already available on iPhone or Android.

I also agree with other people saying it's a sheep mentality. I feel self conscious, even though I don't care so much what people think, when I am using my BlackBerry because you can tell people are looking at you and thinking, "Is this 2007? Where's your iPhone?" The people that don't think peer pressure happens in high school, and even in college sometimes must have forgotten what it was like back when they were my age. It's everywhere, and while all of your friends are FaceTiming and iMessaging, using emoji's, I'm over here telling them, "Please stop sending me emoji's because all I see is a box." I also agree with people saying cases are a big factor. Apps, being cool, and cases are all factors in why young people my age don't really like BlackBerries.
    "The people that don't think peer pressure happens in high school, and even in college sometimes must have forgotten" it's something that you deal with and eventually become immune to. But you have college students that still do that ****? Lol pathetic.

Z10STL100-3/10.2.1.2141
    04-20-14 08:56 PM
    In my personal opinion, the young demographics are what you call band wagon jumpers. Now this doesn't necessarily apply to all because i'm 18 and I love bb10. However from my personal experiences the youth want to stay trendy. Having said that, iphones are popular in North America. Because of this, most teens want to keep up with what appears to be popular.

4 years ago, when I first entered highschool, everyone wanted a blackberry because it was popular. Now that blackberry isn't popular anymore, teens percieve it to be a bad product.

Posted via the Android CrackBerry App!
    JesseBabe23 likes this.
    04-20-14 09:04 PM
    Facebook is not stupid. Igrann will not be taken down.
    Facebook does not even make an official app for BlackBerry now and they don't necessarily dictate whether Instagram changes their APIs.
    And I downloaded it for free so I don't know where you were charged. And it's a better app then Instagram.
    Subjective. A first party app will always be better than a third party one especially when it comes to a service like Instagram.

Sent from my XT907 using Mobile Nations mobile app
    JesseBabe23 likes this.
    04-20-14 09:10 PM
    I sometimes think it's the reverse. We need to stop trying to figure out what Apple and Android users don't like about BlackBerry. I truthfully don't believe they even care. Just because a few ex-bb users pop up to troll the CB Forums doesn't mean there is a movement of hate against BlackBerry.

What we should be asking is what is it that keeps Apple and Android users so loyal they won't look elsewhere. There's an old skit about "the myth becoming the legend". I've never been laughed at by anybody for having a BlackBerry. I've never had a really bad experience in a store buying one.

Anyway, point is...Apple and Android, just like BlackBerry do offer great devices. BlackBerry is way behind the 8-ball and BlackBerry 10 to have stood a chance really needed a 2007 time frame release to keep up.

Posted with my BlackBerry Q10 on VZW from Philly
    04-20-14 09:15 PM
    I sometimes think it's the reverse. We need to stop trying to figure out what Apple and Android users don't like about BlackBerry. I truthfully don't believe they even care. Just because a few ex-bb users pop up to troll the CB Forums doesn't mean there is a movement of hate against BlackBerry.

What we should be asking is what is it that keeps Apple and Android users so loyal they won't look elsewhere. There's an old skit about "the myth becoming the legend". I've never been laughed at by anybody for having a BlackBerry. I've never had a really bad experience in a store buying one.

Anyway, point is...Apple and Android, just like BlackBerry do offer great devices. BlackBerry is way behind the 8-ball and BlackBerry 10 to have stood a chance really needed a 2007 time frame release to keep up.

BlackBerry 10 in 2007???.... lol not a single OS was even close to that level back then.

Z10STL100-3/10.2.1.2141
    04-20-14 09:20 PM
    Perhaps, younglings don't see the advantage of owning a Blackberry10 device, over any other.
    For people who put security as their priority and use mails/fb/etc intensely, its good to own a BB10 device.
    But what about those 13 year olds who use phone just to check fb and funny pictures? They don't need anything that Blackberry emphasizes on. So why would they opt for it? They already have cheaper(if not better) alternatives to watch youtube videos and play games on.
    This also applies to a lot of people from a lot of age groups.
    And don't say 'Android' 'iOS' aren't secure. These phones can never be secure in hands of people who download almost every possible flashlight,lottery,optimizers, weird app market and CRACKED apps. There's not much you can do about them.
    If these phones weren't so secure, government agencies would have never picked them up. Also, i don't think you can pass through an iDevice protected with Apple id.
    04-20-14 09:33 PM
    BlackBerry 10 in 2007???.... lol not a single OS was even close to that level back then.

Z10STL100-3/10.2.1.2141
    Not in a literal sense. I just mean, iPhone launched in 2007 and BlackBerry sat around for the next 6 years while iPhone and Android blew up! BlackBerry should have at least been on par that's all. Instead they got behind thinking it wouldn't bite them. Take it easy bud, stop taking everything so literal, obviously BlackBerry 10 couldn't roll in 2007.

04-20-14 09:34 PM
    It's difficult to gain back market share once it's lost. The guys at the Ghost Armor kiosks were BlackBerry users and now use iPhones. They have no compelling reason to switch back, at the moment. Maybe until security issues rise and 3 to 5 years pass. I trust the younger people to know what's best for themselves.

Posted via CB10
    04-20-14 10:04 PM
    Not in a literal sense. I just mean, iPhone launched in 2007 and BlackBerry sat around for the next 6 years while iPhone and Android blew up! BlackBerry should have at least been on par that's all. Instead they got behind thinking it wouldn't bite them. Take it easy bud, stop taking everything so literal, obviously BlackBerry 10 couldn't roll in 2007.

I believe that BBOS had limitations hence the BlackBerry 10 development, to build a new OS isn't done over night, if you want to argue that they were slow in implementation whilst the "competition " evolved rapidly that is fair, however they were already operating on the "modern" platforms respectively and had a "head start" now with BlackBerry 10 is out its maturing beautifully the main problem is with implementation, releasing an incomplete OS and a so called " difficult learning curve" has made the BlackBerry 10 roll our be not well received. This coupled with BlackBerry complete lack of proper marketing and the lack of correction of many mis perceptions is what BlackBerry has to now iron out.

Posted via CB10
    04-20-14 10:06 PM
    I believe that BBOS had limitations hence the BlackBerry 10 development, to build a new OS isn't done over night, if you want to argue that they were slow in implementation whilst the "competition " evolved rapidly that is fair, however they were already operating on the "modern" platforms respectively and had a "head start" now with BlackBerry 10 is out its maturing beautifully the main problem is with implementation, releasing an incomplete OS and a so called " difficult learning curve" has made the BlackBerry 10 roll our be not well received. This coupled with BlackBerry complete lack of proper marketing and the lack of correction of many mis perceptions is what BlackBerry has to now iron out.

Posted via CB10
    So it's not just possible that Apple and Android fans love their phones just as much as we love our BlackBerry's? Thus, they won't leave because they already having what they are looking for. You could argue all days about specs, apps, OS, UI, etc but the fact remains that iPhone users and Android users overwhelming like the experience.

I agree it's a shame because if given a proper demo and chance many may convert to BlackBerry however, I think the level of satisfaction where they are outweighs the interest of trying something new.

And remember, I'm BlackBerry all the way from the 7120 to the 9930, a Z10, Q10, Z30, and Porsche Design Z10 with fingers crossed a Q10 model comes out.

I'm simply saying I think it's less about BlackBerry hate and more about Apple and Android infatuation.

04-20-14 10:47 PM
248 ... 56789 ...