Blackberry has the smallest market share among the young demographic (18-24) among the major phone OSs (Windows doesn't count), and I'm wondering why that is ? Obviously it doesn't have the same appeal as Apple of Android despite being as good, if not better, than them, particularly in terms of messaging which is the main reason young people use their phones. Basically what I'm wondering is why Blackberry is failing among the young demographic despite there being no major drawbacks to it over Android or iOS. If anyone can give a reason why they think this is then that would be greatly appreciated.
    10-23-13 11:17 AM
    If it had to be boiled down to one thing (and it never is), Apps. Close runners up would be the 'cool' factor, and aesthetics.
    10-23-13 11:21 AM
    As much as it pains me to say it, the primary reason is that they would be ridiculed by their peers for carrying one. The name is that toxic. It the punch line of a joke to the young.
    10-23-13 11:39 AM
    certian apps, and I pinpoint it down to the following

Instagram
    Vine
    Snapchat
    Pintrest
    Netflix

Outside of netflix, the rest are all social interaction apps, and what demographic is more intertwined socially than 18 to 24 year olds?
    jrb363, JesseBabe23 and mush10 like this.
    10-23-13 11:43 AM
    Cool factor/games/apps. In that order.

Posted via CB10
    10-23-13 11:45 AM
    games and anything else to waste time non-productively
    10-23-13 11:46 AM
    While not young people per say, but for College or University students, it's a matter of applications and being able to interface with their universities or colleges. CourseSmart is not available for Blackberry (online versions of their textbooks). WebCT isn't. Blackboard isn't. Those are course management software programs and are used heavily for online courses or for accessing course materials that instructors post online, i.e., term paper assignments, reading assignments, etc. And while you can access some of these features using the BB10 browser, it's a very painful process to do so.

I know of three universities in BC that are looking at creating iOS and Android apps in the near future that will be used for students to register for their courses - none of the universities even considered creating something for Blackberry phones.

So for some it might not be a matter than that they don't like Blackberry but rather, it's a matter that they can't do it with a Blackberry product.
    Icarus3000, ccbs, kbz1960 and 11 others like this.
    10-23-13 11:53 AM
    Basically, young people don't use email anymore. They might use it occasionally, but they're far more likely to use other options before they use email. This started happening a while back.
    10-23-13 12:05 PM
    because from 14-18 they had 8520`s and 9300`s which shot BlackBerry in the foot at the time and BlackBerry havent been able to change the mindset of those customers.
    kennybb and stevenjamesclark like this.
    10-23-13 12:08 PM
    So....

You callin' me old?

10-23-13 12:09 PM
    While not young people per say, but for College or University students, it's a matter of applications and being able to interface with their universities or colleges. CourseSmart is not available for Blackberry (online versions of their textbooks). WebCT isn't. Blackboard isn't. Those are course management software programs and are used heavily for online courses or for accessing course materials that instructors post online, i.e., term paper assignments, reading assignments, etc. And while you can access some of these features using the BB10 browser, it's a very painful process to do so.

I know of three universities in BC that are looking at creating iOS and Android apps in the near future that will be used for students to register for their courses - none of the universities even considered creating something for Blackberry phones.

So for some it might not be a matter than that they don't like Blackberry but rather, it's a matter that they can't do it with a Blackberry product.
    Some people don't get how important apps are, and not just the big names. It is naive to think it is simply the "cool factor". Everyone I have showed my Z10 to, of all ages, think it is pretty cool!

Posted via CB10
    bbq10l likes this.
    10-23-13 12:13 PM
    A tale of two teenagers:

My niece (20) got rid of her torch after it got ruined in a rainstorm and got an iPhone because "kids were picking on her" and "there are no cool cases for BlackBerry ". She is the type of kid who never leaves the house with a hair out of place, is very self conscious and doesn't like to stand out.

Her little sister (18) happily got a Z10 and doesn't care if kids pick on her because she feels having a different device makes her an individual who stands out from the pack. She's very happy with it. She's not your usual teenager. She hates her ipod and told me if she ever won an iPad, she'd sell it on eBay and use the money to buy X box games. She generally leaves the house in sweats or pajamas without brushing her hair. She couldn't care less if other people approve of her or not.

In general I have found a lot of people are like my older niece. They wouldn't even try a BlackBerry because to possess it would be embarrassing. There are a multitude of other reasons, Instagram, Netflix, etc, but the embarrassment factor can't be ignored.

Posted via CB10
    10-23-13 12:27 PM
    Most kids buy their phones on contracts ( where I live) . If they have the money they will get a name brand phone like Samsung or the iphone. It seems to me that women prefer the size of and cases for the iphone.

The Z10 has a chance to succeed at the low end because it is zero down. They should be offering rainbow colors on the Z10. One thing is for sure - young people like a distinctive phone.

On the tale of the two nieces. Did the Z10 owner buy her own or was it paid for by her parents. Seems to me that some fathers who use BlackBerry phones might have encouraged their kids to buy a Z10.
    10-23-13 12:43 PM
    "there are no cool cases for BlackBerry ".

There are a multitude of other reasons, Instagram, Netflix, etc
    both of these fall under ecosystem. and i have to wholehartedly agree about cases, trying to find a clear perspex case for my 9900 was impossible in the UK. finding one for a galaxy or an iphone? jus pop down to a local phone store and pick from the gazillion available. Accessories are a big part of the purchase decision for people. In the UK, accessories for BlackBerrys are very much not there. theres not even a shop BlackBerry for the uk!
    10-23-13 12:44 PM
    I'm 18 and am fully BlackBerry faithful, and with 10.2 on my Z10 I'm even more happy than before!

Posted via CB10
    BeautyEh likes this.
    10-23-13 01:08 PM
    Why don't young people like Blackberry?-crackberry-image-1-.jpg
    Sheep mentality. Also they prioritize apps over superior communications. Brand perception for BlackBerry is terrible although the BlackBerry 10 phones are not. They associate BlackBerry all with BBOS due to terrible marketing.

CB10 - Z10 -10.2.0.1725
    Bor Navas and BK_NY_RAY like this.
    10-23-13 01:34 PM
    They've never had the experience of BlackBerry in its hayday, which is a shame.

Fired from my Z10
    10-23-13 01:35 PM
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	CrackBerry Image(1).jpg 
Views:	975 
Size:	17.4 KB 
ID:	213341
    Also they prioritize apps over superior communications.

As least you are on-message "the customer is always wrong".
    bbq10l, kevinnugent, mset and 1 others like this.
    10-23-13 01:36 PM
    Mostly just cause no one else has them. I'm 19 (in a week or so) and use a Q10 (for work) and Nexus 4. I guess you could say I'm a rare case since I don't use a lot of those apps (I do use social media such as Facebook, LinkedIn, Reddit, but no Instragram, Vine, etc.) so the ecosystem isn't really a factor for me. BB10 is definitely good - I won't say its better than my Android experience, but I can't find any compelling reason to drop ~$500 for a BB10 device, when I paid $300 for my Nexus.
    BK_NY_RAY likes this.
    10-23-13 01:40 PM
    Lack of marketing from BB,it used to be the thing when i was in collage 4 years back.
    10-23-13 01:40 PM
    i also got to know about bb when i first used it as a student,it used to win many young hearts with bbm
    10-23-13 01:41 PM
    the world was not enough for bb in those days
    10-23-13 01:42 PM
    Because it doesn't have enough YOLO and SWAG.. sigh.

C0001BBF0 - BlackBerry 10 help channel.
    10-23-13 01:50 PM
    Legacy or bb10? Legacy, everyone shouldn't have to guess tiny screens, no cool games etc who wants that?

BB10? Still too new and not known.
    Undbiter65 and SifiGamer like this.
    10-23-13 01:51 PM
    Because it doesn't have enough YOLO and SWAG.. sigh.

C0001BBF0 - BlackBerry 10 help channel.
    Ah please don't generalize. Lol. Not all of us teens blindly follow the mainstream media.

Anyways, I'm 18 and own a Z10. My sisters is 21 and has a Z10 as well. At my high school, before I graduated, I saw 2 other Z10s besides mine. I talked to them and they absolutely loved them. I think BlackBerry can still lure some teens in. The main problem was that MANY people didn't even know about the phone. Put the Z10 in rock videos. Rap videos (detest rap but unfortunately that's most teens follow). Pop videos. Just anything teen related! Market that *itch!

"If you can't soar with the eagles, then don't fly with the flock!" (BBM#18)
    FrankIAm, kbz1960, redsaph and 2 others like this.
    10-23-13 02:44 PM
248 123 ...