I am getting sick of carriers screwing up launches, over pricing phones and holding up updates. Why not sell direct to the public - unlocked oem phones. At this point, couldn't hurt and Google has proven the model with the nexus line. Thoughts?

Posted via CB10
    08-14-13 06:48 PM
    They used to do this. I am not sure why they really stopped. You can still buy them unlocked but its much harder to find now.
    08-14-13 06:56 PM
    I am getting sick of carriers screwing up launches, over pricing phones and holding up updates. Why not sell direct to the public - unlocked oem phones. At this point, couldn't hurt and Google has proven the model with the nexus line. Thoughts?

Posted via CB10
    I think you'll might want to change the title of the thread to "Why doesn't BlackBerry sell carrier-free phones?"

While this would be a good option for some, unfortunately, these days most people get their device through the carriers at a subsidized price. If you asked most people to do this, very few would be able to do it. Google hasn't proven that the model is successful (from a profit standpoint), they've only proven it can be done. Apple also sells unlocked devices but people aren't lining up to drop $900 on a cell phone...
    08-14-13 06:57 PM
    Until carriers provide plans with and without subsidized device pricing built in... it's going to be hard not to take advantage of those discounts that turn $500 phones into "free" phones.

Posted via CB10
    08-14-13 07:28 PM
    In the US, T-Mobile is the only carrier that you can bring a fully-paid-for phone to and get service that does not include a $20/month surcharge that's designed to pay off a subsidized phone. If you take a phone to Verizon, AT&T, or Sprint, their monthly plans all assume you are getting a subsidized phone through the carrier, and have the subsidy repayment built into the monthly service price. So, not only would customers have to buy the phone at full unlocked price up-front, they'd then have to pay for most of the phone AGAIN due to the inflated price of the monthly service (again, with the exception of T-Mobile).

Even though it costs more in the long run, 90% of US cell phone customers buy their phones on-contract to get the low, subsidized initial price. Thus, carriers effectively control the sales of (nearly) all cell phones in the US. And the CDMA carriers make it as hard as possible to bring outside devices into the network, because they want that extra money (and extra control) they get when you buy a phone from the carrier. That's just how the US market works.
    08-14-13 09:12 PM
    It really depends on who distributes those BlackBerry phones in your country. They are available carrier-free in my country. I bought mine from a mobile phone shop.

Posted via CB10
    08-14-13 09:17 PM
    It really depends on who distributes those BlackBerry phones in your country. They are available carrier-free in my country. I bought mine from a mobile phone shop.

Posted via CB10
    Good point but you are still tied to the carrier for OS updates - it should come straight from BlackBerry for sim free unlocked phones IMO.

Posted via CB10
    08-14-13 09:19 PM
    It looks like blackberry is now selling unlocked phones. The Z10 & Q10 are listed below.

BlackBerry Unlocked Smartphones - ShopBlackBerry.com
    11-24-13 12:35 PM

Posted via CB10
    They do in the US.
    11-24-13 12:44 PM
    What about Z39s ?

Posted via my BlackBerry Z30.
    11-24-13 04:02 PM
    Z30 sorry .

11-24-13 04:02 PM
    What about Z39s ?

I called BlackBerry direct about the Z30's and they said they will be available shortly on their website but couldn't give me a date. Looking forward to buying it as it doesn't look my carrier AT&T will be carrying them SMH

Posted Via CB10 From My AT&T BlackBerry Z10
    11-24-13 04:21 PM
    Z10 $399 vs Moto G $179. Unlocked.

Let me think, Eenie, meenie...mmm. Moto G please.
    11-24-13 04:43 PM
    .. $20/month surcharge that's designed to pay off a subsidized phone. ....
    .... with the exception of T-Mobile)...
    In Canada there is a ten dollar discount when you bring in your own phone. $10 monthly.

This is still not good enough. The subsidy is from $16 to $18 on average.
    11-24-13 05:28 PM
    Z10 $399 vs Moto G $179. Unlocked.

Let me think, Eenie, meenie...mmm. Moto G please.
    Or nexus 5 32 gig for 399.

Not a tough choice.

Posted via CB10
    11-24-13 06:46 PM
    Or nexus 5 32 gig for 399.

Not a tough choice.

Posted via CB10
    Yup. Z10 all the way.
    11-24-13 08:40 PM