It was something I was thinking about randomly today while doing dishes. How come when I change devices, I cant keep my old PIN? Shouldnt they just tie PINs to your BBID?

I am aware pins are device specific but why
    Last edited by CatlinFD; 10-17-13 at 09:11 PM.
    10-17-13 08:58 PM
    The PIN is hard-coded to the device. They can block a device service based on the PIN if reported stolen.

If it was same as BBID, you wouldn't really need both.
    I assume their server needs the device identifying info to work properly. Maybe it's more complex than that, but kind of makes sense to me.

Did your Z30 come yet?
    10-17-13 09:03 PM
    The pin is tied directly to your handset
    10-17-13 09:03 PM
    PIN = tied to device
    BBID = tied to user
    10-17-13 09:07 PM
    I know it's tied, but why
    10-17-13 09:08 PM
    I got the same pin of my old bold 9700 on my Z10.... found that out today

Posted via CB10
    10-17-13 09:09 PM
    The PIN is hard-coded to the device. They can block a device service based on the PIN if reported stolen.

If it was same as BBID, you wouldn't really need both.
    I assume their server needs the device identifying info to work properly. Maybe it's more complex than that, but kind of makes sense to me.

Did your Z30 come yet?
    They said I can pick it up at 8PM, another seven hours from now
    10-17-13 09:10 PM

Posted via CB10
    really? wtf... I wonder if this is by design or by pure chance, if they are in fact recycling PINs
    10-17-13 09:15 PM
    Well see that's going to be interesting for cross-platform BBM, as the pin will be randomly generated for each new device and would actually have to stay with the BBID rather than the device like it used to.

The PIN itself yes was and is and always will be tied to the device itself for BlackBerry handsets, namely because PIN messaging pre-BBM was just that. It was going directly from your handset, your pin code, to a contact for whom you had a pin to send the message directly and very urgently (always hated that red highlighting that PIN messages came with, but ah well). Personally I like to think that it also had something to do with the encryption as every pin was and is unique, so perhaps it helped in de-coding encrypted messages... but I'm probably wrong there.

Personally I kinda like that our PINs for BlackBerry devices change with a change in handset, even if we log in with our BBID on the new handset. It means that if someone really pissed me off, deleting them right before changing handsets meant that there was no chance of them getting back on my BBM list again without either getting back into my good graces or someone giving them my new pin behind my back :P.
    10-17-13 10:24 PM
    really? wtf... I wonder if this is by design or by pure chance, if they are in fact recycling PINs
    Probably by chance. BlackBerry assigns a new PIN to their smartphones when they have to be wiped and reflashed, they stamp the new PIN on the device too.

Therefore PINs do chance but the chances of having the same PIN on a device which you've owned previously is insanely low.

Posted via CB10
    Last edited by goku_vegeta; 10-18-13 at 06:05 AM.
    10-17-13 10:53 PM
    Probably by chance. BlackBerry assigns a new PIN to their smartphones when they have to be wiped and reflashed, they stamp the new PIN on the device too.

Therfore PINs do chance but the chances of having the same PIN on a device which you've owned previously is insanely low.

Posted via CB10
    Exactly... that's crazy.

Posted via CB10
    10-17-13 11:19 PM

Posted via CB10
    I don't think so !

Don't get me wrong im not meaning that you lie... But i don't think so
    Last edited by ESCON; 10-17-13 at 11:44 PM.
    10-17-13 11:25 PM

Posted via CB10
    Pics or it didn't happen...
    10-17-13 11:38 PM
    I'd advise you to stop sipping on the dishwashing liquid.

Seriously, wtf.
    10-18-13 12:31 AM
    The BlackBerry PIN is something I've always liked about BlackBerrys. Sometimes they have caused me problems, when I picked up this dirty habit of having multiple BlackBerrys, and would have to backup and restore my BBM list on a device before switching to another one. But other than that, the PIN is part of what makes BlackBerry unique, though I do hear, "What's your PIN?" far less often now than I did a few years ago.
    10-18-13 12:38 AM