So i have the blackberry bold from ATT. I previously had the HTC Fuze (windows mobile). It seems like the Fuze was a much funner device. There was thousands of apps out there for me to play around with. It seems like I was able to find an app for everything. But the problem was it had a bit too much customization options which made it not work sometimes. But my blackberry -- i love it. Its very stable and works out the box. But its got 128 MB RAM. My other phone had 288. I loaded OS 5 on it recently and i am lingering with about 20MB free ram at all times. I feel like developers dont have a lot to work with. Why did RIM put only 128MB or ram on this thing?
    10-13-09 01:23 PM
    Get a Curve 8900, twice the RAM.
    10-13-09 01:26 PM
    Leave ATT and come over to the darkside on verizon. And try the tour if you want a physical key board if you don't mind a touch wait for the S2.
    10-13-09 01:42 PM
    To me the OP is right. There is simply NO REASON why RIM cannot
    make a phone with say 1gb of user addressable memory. None!

I will never understand the decision not to do so. Most phones
    that people on this and other forums look down on do that and
    have been doing that for quite some time. RIM needs to step up
    to the plate or continue to lag.
    10-13-09 01:43 PM
    Or use Shrink-A-OS. I just used it on .230 and with somewhere between 15-20 apps installed I'm booting with 43 mb. With just the core stuff I was booting at 60.
    10-13-09 01:48 PM
    Get a Curve 8900, twice the RAM.
    Leave ATT and come over to the darkside on verizon.
    Or use Shrink-A-OS. I just used it on .230 and with somewhere between 15-20 apps installed I'm booting with 43 mb. With just the core stuff I was booting at 60.

Not one of these address the basic design of the BB.

256mb is measly by comparison to some "lesser" phones

Changing carriers is not a solution. AT&T offers the 8900 with the
    same exact memory of the Tour.

Shrink A OS would NOT be necessary if RIM got their, you know, together.

But no, rather than do that, they are content to turn out new devices that
    are simply tarted up versions of what already exist. Sadder still is that
    a lot of it's customers are seemingly content with that.
    10-13-09 01:59 PM
    I have used a 8900 before but the processor is slower and it is a noticeable difference to me. and the phone itself feels like a toy with the plastic everything. the tour doesnt have wifi. an essential part of what i need.

to me it seems as though RIM has run out of ideas to put in their phones so they create devices which lack something, and combine them in later devices to make them sell as "upgrades" of things which shouldnt even be upgrades.
    10-13-09 10:57 PM
    @xgm541: I agree again. What RIM constantly does
    is rehash and gussy up older devices and call that innovation. It
    isn't.

WiFi, 3G, optical trackpad, etc are not innovations. Other makers
    have employed these for a while.

How about an overhauled OS. A real browser. Substantial on
    board memory, and a laundry list of other things. Sadly that
    will only get them even with the playing field.

Great platform. Poor strategy.
    10-13-09 11:22 PM
    @amazinglygraceless I'm confused by your statments here?

You are putting down the BB and RIM in general explaining all the "faults", but in two other post you have made here on crackberry you almost praise the BB.

Here you talk about all the benefits

and

here you tell two people they choose wisely

So what is it

or the positive feedback of BB posted above in the links? Just wanting to make sure I understand you correctly...

Thanks!
    Last edited by rethcork; 10-13-09 at 11:58 PM. Reason: Spelling error
    10-13-09 11:58 PM
    @amazinglygraceless I'm confused by your statments here?

You are putting down the BB and RIM in general explaining all the "faults", but in two other post you have made here on crackberry you almost praise the BB.

Here you talk about all the benefits

and

here you tell two people they choose wisely

So what is it

or the positive feedback of BB posted above in the links? Just wanting to make sure I understand you correctly...

Thanks!

Let me see if I can help you out with this dichotomy of opinion (gotcha)
    you think you have found.

Link 1
    was a person asking how to market the device. I pointed out my
    view as to what approach he / she should take. Not once did I say it was
    the best, just giving direction for the assignment.

Link 2 was an individual who was happy to be getting the 8900,
    which I happen to think is the best BB on the market. Again, I did
    not praise the device. I related that, based on my experience, I thought
    the user would be happy with it.

Now to the meat of the matter. Part of being an intelligent consumer
    is to praise a prouct for what it gets right and criticize it for what it does
    not.

If you had done a MORE extensive search of my posting history you
    would have seen that I have done both, so there is no hypocrisy or
    dissembling here.

Hope that clears up where I stand.
    10-14-09 12:31 AM
    @xgm541: I agree again. What RIM constantly does
    is rehash and gussy up older devices and call that innovation. It
    isn't.

WiFi, 3G, optical trackpad, etc are not innovations. Other makers
    have employed these for a while.

How about an overhauled OS. A real browser. Substantial on
    board memory, and a laundry list of other things. Sadly that
    will only get them even with the playing field.

Great platform. Poor strategy.

They are working on a Real Browser, if you've tried the tour, it has come leaps and bounds ahead of the Curve, and they did purchase that webkit browser company which has me hopeful for 2010.

IF they did a full OS over haul, they would still have to make sure it is backwards compatitble, they have the curse of success, with that curse you have to support older models, BlackBerry's are more then just phones, they are a work platform, with millions of dollars invested in infrastucture for business, dropping things will kill the reliablity with the platform.

NOW I agree whole heartly agree I want more addressable memory, Give me 1Gb and allow programs to be run in the expandable memory, that would be the key! software from expandable memory it would make all my 256/512/1024MB cards useful as they could be set up for different App useage.

to the OP, you unfortunately made a bad purchase, your Fuze was quite a bit newer then the Bold, in its day the Bold was awesome, but today it is a flagship that is leading a fleet of much newer sleeker phones and is slated for retirement in but a few months, you would have been better to grab a tour, or a Curve 8900 with double the app memory, Games and toys are still lacking on blackberry's but that is still the fault of the platform, being Javabased makes it clunkly compared to new technologies, and because a large percentage of the user base are business users games are not high on the priority list.... YET.
    10-14-09 07:37 AM
    So how much ram does the 8900 have and how much does the tour have, cause my carrier is getting it soon.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    10-14-09 07:37 AM
    Both have 256
    10-14-09 07:39 AM
    To me the OP is right. There is simply NO REASON why RIM cannot
    make a phone with say 1gb of user addressable memory. None!

I will never understand the decision not to do so. Most phones
    that people on this and other forums look down on do that and
    have been doing that for quite some time. RIM needs to step up
    to the plate or continue to lag.
    I completely agree with this. I've got a 1gb iPod shuffle that I bought 2 years ago, it's about the size of 2 postage stamps, and has 1gb of memory!!! Why can they put 1gb of memory in something tiny like that but cannot, or refuse to, do the same in my BB! It just doesn't make any sense to me.

I've heard the arguement that with the device mostly geared towards business people, they would never need that much memory... but that doesn't answer the simple question of why not put it in there anyways? I can get a 1gb sd card for less than 10 bucks, it can't cost a whole lot more to throw 1gb of memory in my BB as opposed to the 256 that's the most offered currently... It just doesn't make any sense to me...
    10-14-09 07:50 AM
    I wish rim would spend less time releasing new blackberrys that are just inches different from the old models and work on improving the OS.

Or like everyone says, release a blackberry with more memory than an ipod shuffle. That would be leaps and bounds!

But seriously, I could get over the memory issue if the OS ran smoothly.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    10-14-09 09:09 AM
    To be honest I think the reason there is no real BB app store is because RIM knows their BBs don't have the room to store many apps. People who end up complaining about the space available for apps since programs cannot be stored on the card.
    10-14-09 09:19 AM
    Not one of these address the basic design of the BB.

256mb is measly by comparison to some "lesser" phones

Changing carriers is not a solution. AT&T offers the 8900 with the
    same exact memory of the Tour.

Shrink A OS would NOT be necessary if RIM got their, you know, together.

I have more apps than I know what to do with on my Tour and still have roughly 100mb free memory. Sure, I suppose more free memory would make me feel warm and fuzzy inside but what other benefit would I get? Paying more for the privilege of owning a BB? Why is it sad that people are happy with what they have?
    10-14-09 09:24 AM
    I completely agree with this. I've got a 1gb iPod shuffle that I bought 2 years ago, it's about the size of 2 postage stamps, and has 1gb of memory!!! Why can they put 1gb of memory in something tiny like that but cannot, or refuse to, do the same in my BB! It just doesn't make any sense to me.
    Well..that's just memory, not Flash Memory. The Bold HAS 1gb of internal memory, but only 128mb of FLASH Memory.
    10-16-09 04:00 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD