I don't understand why the guy just has to be so flat out boring. Would it kill BB to add a face figure that added a little flash or shines to the company? I understand he's a business man geared towards the business market, but I don't think it would kill BB to have a guy that steps in and shows off the wow factor of BB devices and adds a little coolness factor. Nothing against him at all, but Chen seems to be about the most uncool and least consumer friendly guy I've ever seen, and that's saying a lot since the days of Lazaridis. Even then, RIM had Balsillie to act as the face guy who could wow you in an interview and make the features of the phone cool. Lazaridis was such a stiff and they provided a good balance to one another.

While he was horrible at it, at Thor at least tried to bringing a little coolness to BB and while it didn't fit him at all I give the guy props for trying.

Why couldn't BB have a guy like Jony Ive that talks about how cool this feature or that feature is? I don't particularly care for Ive, but he brings another level of coolness to the brand when he talks about all the things that went into the design of the phone etc.

Alex Saunders seems like a pretty hip
    guy so where the hell is he? He at least tried with that music video that those guys made.

I'm not downplaying Chen's efforts at all, but I think the guy could loosen the tie a little bit and make himself a little more people friendly and not just come off like a total Company man. I'm sure I'll get flamed to hell for this but it's bugged me for a long time.
    04-23-14 10:49 PM
    I like Chen and his style just fine. He gets it. He knows it shouldn't be about the CEO, it should be about the company and the products/services it produces.

BlackBerry needs a steady, predictable leader at the helm at this stage in the game, especially if they want to appeal to enterprise customers, which is probably their only hope of being able to turn things around.

I think the last thing BB needs right now is a CEO like T-Mobile's John Legere who likes to troll everyone and crash parties.
    04-23-14 11:04 PM
    Yeah he should be like Legere from TMO cocky arrogant and obnoxious! That will help eh? Not!

Posted via CB10
    04-23-14 11:38 PM
    Chen is selling a business tool, not a gaming console nor a media player. His boring is cool in that way.

Posted via CB10
    04-23-14 11:51 PM
    Any non-delusional-self-agrandizing individual knows they have to perform before they can brag.

Posted via CB10
    jakie55 likes this.
    04-24-14 12:05 AM
    Um.. he's here to turn a company around not have a popularity contest.

The GIF Exchange C001B7B16?
    Jrox74, phuoc, mk2234 and 2 others like this.
    04-24-14 12:08 AM
    John Chen is NOT Boring!

Why does John Chen have to be so boring?-chow-tiger.jpg

Z10STL100-2/10.2.1.2141 O2 UK
    04-24-14 12:21 AM
    If he wanted to sell the company he would have done so already

The GIF Exchange C001B7B16?
    Not necessarily... He could be getting it profitable for a sale down the road in several years and setting up a bigger "return on investment" for the shareholders and investors. I'm not saying that this is what the only outcome is (I don't know of anyone can say they know what'll happen to BlackBerry with 100% confidence), but isn't this what eventually happened with Sybase?
    04-24-14 12:53 AM
    Can a mod please correct the title. It should read "Haters gonna hate..."
    04-24-14 12:56 AM
    I don't understand why the guy just has to be so flat out boring. Would it kill BB to add a face figure that added a little flash or shines to the company? I understand he's a business man geared towards the business market, but I don't think it would kill BB to have a guy that steps in and shows off the wow factor of BB devices and adds a little coolness factor. Nothing against him at all, but Chen seems to be about the most uncool and least consumer friendly guy I've ever seen, and that's saying a lot since the days of Lazaridis. Even then, RIM had Balsillie to act as the face guy who could wow you in an interview and make the features of the phone cool. Lazaridis was such a stiff and they provided a good balance to one another.

While he was horrible at it, at Thor at least tried to bringing a little coolness to BB and while it didn't fit him at all I give the guy props for trying.

Why couldn't BB have a guy like Jony Ive that talks about how cool this feature or that feature is? I don't particularly care for Ive, but he brings another level of coolness to the brand when he talks about all the things that went into the design of the phone etc.

Alex Saunders seems like a pretty hip
    guy so where the hell is he? He at least tried with that music video that those guys made.

I'm not downplaying Chen's efforts at all, but I think the guy could loosen the tie a little bit and make himself a little more people friendly and not just come off like a total Company man. I'm sure I'll get flamed to hell for this but it's bugged me for a long time.
    Maybe because the CEO of a global telecommunications conglomerate, no matter which entity, should, in essence, be "boring" to an uneducated, uninformed individual who doesn't understand how these massive companies operate?

Not speaking about you of course...

Posted via CB10 on 10.2.1.2228
    rthonpm and Jrox74 like this.
    04-24-14 12:57 AM
    John Chen is awesome! Thorsten was boring.

Posted via CB10
    blackmoe and ssprintoo like this.
    04-24-14 12:58 AM
    Lol I know I'm gonna get tore apart for this, but I'd love a CEO with the enthusiasm of John Legere. Lol I know BlackBerry die hards hate him but I think that kind of enthusiasm could really help sell a product. Keyword "help"

Just my opinion

Posted via CB10
    Doggerz, Shadowyugi, TGR1 and 6 others like this.
    04-24-14 12:59 AM
    Calm down people. I've never had a smartphone other than BlackBerry. I say what I say cause I find it sad what is happening but I guess you guys are fine with it.

I wanted to see the company come back. Guess you all love Chen's schizophrenic approach to running the company. He isn't going to bring it back, that's for sure. He's here to wrap things up. Fire anyone who can program the OS or design phones.

And they did try to sell the company. No one bought it.

You all keep drinking Chen's grape kool-aid.

I'm the BlackBerry patriot. You Chen lovers are the harbingers of death.

Z30 / STA100-5 / 10.2.1.2234 / T-Mobile USA
    milo53 likes this.
    04-24-14 12:59 AM
    I guess everyone sees this differently. After watching BNN on countless occasions, I would rank Mr. Chen at the top for CEO interviews. He is extremely personable and well respected compared to many of the dry terds on there. Myself, I've notice news outlets speak highly of him. A few have stated they look forward to interviewing him due to his humor. I don't find him hilarious, but he is known to produce laughable witt that makes a room light up.
    As for Thor...... A Hot Dog on a stick produces more charisma. He has an arrogance that he desperately tries to hide through a sheepish grin. Again, we all see it differently.
    In the end, after results, it's how someone is perceived by the company, share holders, media and peers. Not once have I heard a negative remark in regards to Mr. Chen. Honestly, I've read and viewed a fair share of interviews with him.