Seriously, ive tried probably 3 different IM apps now, and not one of them has ever been able to send a message. Ive gotten a few messages, but its very spotty. I will type out a message and hit send, and it either does nothing and fails immediately, or tries for a few seconds and gives a generic failure message.
    All I want to use is MSN messenger, nothing else.
    06-12-08 10:18 AM
    Have you tried web messenger? I use yahoo, BB Messenger and Web Messenger all the time with no issues.....
    06-12-08 10:24 AM
    06-12-08 10:25 AM
    when i'm in a low signal-strength area I lose sent IMs a lot. Mostly while I'm at work. Sprint was really crappy at my desk at work, too, but nobody seemed to not get my IMs, but with T-Mobile they just don't get sent a lot of the time if the signal is poor.

however, calls are still better and drop less, and txt msgs are reliable at least. But JiveTalk, AOL's mobile AIM, GTalk, it doesn't matter. sometimes people just don't get them.
    06-12-08 10:28 AM
    +1

JiveTalk FTMFW!!!
    06-12-08 10:35 AM
    Could you give us a little more detail, which IM apps did you try? do you have a Data Plan?
    Are you getting your eMail and Text messages?
    06-12-08 10:36 AM
    As much bad luck as I am having with the free ones, I am not sure I want to lay out some cash for something that i doubt is going to work any differently...
    that and the link is no good.
    06-12-08 10:38 AM
    Isn't Jivetalk $20? and the website is www beejive com
    06-12-08 10:39 AM
    I have used the bundled MSN app (which i think i may have actually sent a message with, but it wont stay connected and has no auto-reconnect option), Palringo (which stays connected, usually, but has alot of other issues), and dont remember the other one since it was so buggy i couldnt even get signed in.
    I do have a data plan. The only email I use is my gmail, which seems to work just fine. I rarely text message, but that seems to work fine.
    Honestly this is my first smartphone, and none of my friends have smartphones so I dont see myself using most of the texting features anytime soon, though i would like to be able to chat with people on my MSN list. For now, the BB is mostly just a phone with extras; internet, music, etc. to me, not a way of life.
    06-12-08 10:44 AM
    As much bad luck as I am having with the free ones, I am not sure I want to lay out some cash for something that i doubt is going to work any differently...
    that and the link is no good.
    Jive talk has a free 30 day trial. So try it for yourself. Doesn't sound like a specific Blackberry issue as much as a device setting or network issue. Just try jive talk. If that doesn't work, then there's something else going on and not the IM clients fault.
    06-12-08 11:03 AM
    AIM works perfectly fine for me, but that's the only IM app I use on my bb.
    06-12-08 11:27 AM
    I didnt know jivetalk had a trial. I have installed it and had a test conversation with my work pc msn account and all is working so far. Will give it a couple days to see how robust its connection strategy is though. What really bothered me the most about some of hte apps is them claiming to still be connected, but showing as disconnected on other contact's messengers (known as a "stoned" connection). That of course makes me think everything is ok, but i dont get messages.
    I dont see an auto-reconnect option, so I am hoping that is implicit.
    Last edited by devnull; 06-12-08 at 11:44 AM.
    06-12-08 11:42 AM
    I use BB Messenger and Google Talk app. I like Google Talk because it logs all your chats into Gmail. I'm just waiting for AIM implementation in the BlackBerry app.
    06-12-08 12:42 PM
    Jivetalk is the best. I been connected for 4 days straight now with no problems.
    06-12-08 12:47 PM
    I use BB Messenger and Google Talk app. I like Google Talk because it logs all your chats into Gmail. I'm just waiting for AIM implementation in the BlackBerry app.
    AIM has an app, just not for ATT I believe.
    06-12-08 01:10 PM
    I know, but it uses SMS, not Data. I don't have an SMS plan.
    06-12-08 01:14 PM
    i use windows messenger every day
    it works great and its free
    mostly i use yahoo though
    there must be something wrong in your settings
    06-12-08 01:39 PM
    I have to agree with the jivetalk lovers. I already had IM+ and paid 50 bucks for it, it never stays connected, sometimes doesnt connect, and eats my battery. i tried the free trial of jivetalk and it is SOOOO MUCH BETTER. i love it.
    06-12-08 01:43 PM
    Ok, question that I'm hoping someone can shed some light on. I have tried pretty much all IM programs. I had downloaded the JiveTalk, OZ Messenger, plus I got Yahoo!Go as well, and all of them will start to load and then say it can't establish a connection and to check my settings. Well, I have gone all thorough my settings, making sure everything is in the "allow" stats, and I do have internet access on my phone as well. Anyone know why it may not be working? If it's not working on all of them it's got to be something with my phone or settings.
    Thanks
    06-12-08 03:11 PM
    Jivetalk is the best to use.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    06-12-08 03:34 PM
    JiveTalk. I use it with Gtalk, MSN, and Yahoo. First app I ever bought for my BlackBerry. It uses data, not SMS, and it throttles down when you are in suspend mode, saves a bit on battery life. Nice, clean, stable.
    06-12-08 03:37 PM
    or verizon!!!!!
    06-12-08 03:41 PM
    I've tried JiveTalk and couldn't get it to work. Is there anything on my settings that could be causing all messengers not to work on my phone?
    06-12-08 10:37 PM
    I got my BB only a week back and I'm still trying to figure it out inspite of the IT policy we have at work. I can't install any app OTA. Thanks to Blackberry's site, I was able to d/l Googletalk & BBMaps.
    Coming to Googletalk, in my 8820, I'm unable to connect when I just use the Wi-fi. When the Wireless is ON, I can connect and chat fine, but when I turn ON the Wi-fi and turn OFF the Wireless, Google talk complains that Data Services is not available!!
    Is there a way to get around this issue?

Thanks!
    06-17-08 12:19 PM
    I got my BB only a week back and I'm still trying to figure it out inspite of the IT policy we have at work. I can't install any app OTA. Thanks to Blackberry's site, I was able to d/l Googletalk & BBMaps.
    Coming to Googletalk, in my 8820, I'm unable to connect when I just use the Wi-fi. When the Wireless is ON, I can connect and chat fine, but when I turn ON the Wi-fi and turn OFF the Wireless, Google talk complains that Data Services is not available!!
    Is there a way to get around this issue?

Thanks!
    I wouldn't try squirming around an IT policy if it's a company phone... If they find out they will most likely take it away, or worse.
    06-17-08 04:31 PM
26 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD