I�ve been reading so much about an android BB phone (hope not) but my question is, if BB want to catch the train of massive sales (that is get BB10 into as many hands as possible) then they need to join the companies that are manufacturing the "IN" phones, like Samsung, HTC, Huawei, etc.etc. at reasonable prices and top specs.

I mean, why not first get the Play Store on BB10 then license it out to a few good manufacturers that are selling much more than BB?

wouldn�t that get BB back "out there" and then as a result get more BB phones sold too!!

Just a thought, that initially was thought about but lately have not seen anything about it !!!!!

WHAT ARE YOUR OPINIONS????
    07-30-15 11:37 AM
    The OEMs would still have to sell the devices. It'd be cheaper devices, since they don't need the margins that BB does but its still a marketing problem.
    07-30-15 11:51 AM
    BB10 as of 10.3.2 is extraordinary.

It has gone greatly unexplored and unused.

Its future was undermined by Mr. Chen failing to support BlackBerry 10 app ecosystem development.

I do not foresee other manufacturers seeing any reason to license BB10 unless the Android runtime becomes flawless including the essential Google Play Services.

BlackBerry Q10 driven by 10.3.2.2339 on T-Mobile
    07-30-15 12:00 PM
    They tried before under Heins. No takers. Also if the OHA minions are to be believed then no OHA member can release a phone with BB10 and still be in the OHA due to it being considered a fork of Android.

Posted via Z30
    07-30-15 12:04 PM
    BB10 just doesn't have the customization that Android has right now. I could see someone like Samsung buy it, but only if BlackBerry was exiting handsets altogether.

Posted via CB Z30
    07-30-15 12:17 PM
    BB10 just doesn't have the customization that Android has right now. I could see someone like Samsung buy it, but only if BlackBerry was exiting handsets altogether.

Posted via CB Z30
    It could be argued that Android's ability to be highly customizable also leads to great fragmentation of its implementation across manufacturers.

It has also led to a great shortcoming in carriers rolling out Android updates in a timely manner.

07-30-15 12:25 PM
    Didn't work for Apple won't work for BlackBerry

Posted via CB10
    07-30-15 12:44 PM
    It could be argued that Android's ability to be highly customizable also leads to great fragmentation of its implementation across manufacturers.

It has also led to a great shortcoming in carriers rolling out Android updates in a timely manner.

Not enough to curb adoption though.

It's pretty tough to adopt an OS without a competitive ecosystem. Even then, could BBRY afford to do it for free like MSFT and Google?
    07-30-15 01:06 PM
    I�ve been reading so much about an android BB phone (hope not) but my question is, if BB want to catch the train of massive sales (that is get BB10 into as many hands as possible) then they need to join the companies that are manufacturing the "IN" phones, like Samsung, HTC, Huawei, etc.etc. at reasonable prices and top specs.

I mean, why not first get the Play Store on BB10 then license it out to a few good manufacturers that are selling much more than BB?

wouldn�t that get BB back "out there" and then as a result get more BB phones sold too!!

Just a thought, that initially was thought about but lately have not seen anything about it !!!!!

WHAT ARE YOUR OPINIONS????
    Dunno why u even think anyone is interested.

Posted via CB10
    07-30-15 01:07 PM

Posted via CB10
    To your point, my understanding is that it has sorta always been on the table.
    07-30-15 01:10 PM
    I

And Carriers are better at rolling out timely updates to BB10? Please, it's just as awful with BB10 and carriers.
    07-30-15 01:23 PM
    Didn't work for Apple won't work for BlackBerry
    I wasn't aware Apple ever tried to license out building to anyone ever.
    07-30-15 01:27 PM
    I wasn't aware Apple ever tried to license out building to anyone ever.
    Brief time in the 90s.

Anyway, as far as I know, Heins & co. tried to license BB10, but there wasn't much in the way of interest.
    jojo beaconsfield likes this.
    07-30-15 01:31 PM
    And Carriers are better at rolling out timely updates to BB10? Please, it's just as awful with BB10 and carriers.
    That is why the 'leaked' OS is so popular among BlackBerry 10 users.

Using BlackBerry Link, it is very possible to recover from any 'leak' shortcoming even going back to the factory-installed distribution.

The fact remains that carriers are not interested in customer service - only constant device turnover. OS updates breathe new life and longevity into any given device.

This same attitude exists among manufacturers who increasingly also suffer from poor customer service.

07-30-15 01:43 PM
    If it doesn't work for BlackBerry, why would BlackBerry 10 work 4 other manufacturers?

Posted via CB10
    07-30-15 03:14 PM
    No one wants it. They tried to license the os when it first came out. No takers.

Posted via CB10
    07-30-15 04:35 PM
    That is why the 'leaked' OS is so popular among BlackBerry 10 users.

Using BlackBerry Link, it is very possible to recover from any 'leak' shortcoming even going back to the factory-installed distribution.

The fact remains that carriers are not interested in customer service - only constant device turnover. OS updates breathe new life and longevity into any given device.

This same attitude exists among manufacturers who increasingly also suffer from poor customer service.

Well said and I couldn't agree more.
    07-30-15 05:36 PM

Posted via CB10
    Why so grumpy? It's just a topic to pass the time since there hasn't been news about BlackBerry phones in forever

Posted via CB Z30
    07-31-15 07:24 AM
    You should remember that Google went after Acer when Acer tried to launch a phone OS with some Android code in it and threatened them to boot them out of OHA. Acer backed down and stopped developing that OS.

Since BB10 does contain some Android code (the Android runtime), most OEMs can't touch BB10 due to the very same risk.

Also, who would pay for BB10 since both Android and WP8 (and soon W10) are free and contain much better native ecosystems.
    07-31-15 10:10 AM
    [QUOTE=Carlos PT;11825220]I�ve been reading so much about an android BB phone (hope not) but my question is, if BB want to catch the train of massive sales (that is get BB10 into as many hands as possible) then they need to join the companies that are manufacturing the "IN" phones, like Samsung, HTC, Huawei, etc.etc. at reasonable prices and top specs.

Boa ideia! E talvez o Porto tamb�m vai ganhar o campeonato p� ano! Haha

Posted via CB10
    07-31-15 06:50 PM
    With sales and profit, and investing/redirecting resources for a new operating system, it's not very attractive for other OEMs.

In theory, if the less successful Android OEMs large and small were poached to produce devices running BB10 at a very low cost for the software (like how MS partners with PC OEMs) there could be a larger proliferation of the BlackBerry software than what's happening now; more hands on more devices.

But then again by another comparison, WPs hardware that seems to make any headway are Microsoft produced devices.

Also for BlackBerry this would mean another rebranding and new direction for the company.

Posted via CB10 via the Internets
    08-10-15 10:56 PM