Passport?come on.like any 16 yr old is gonna run out and buy that? Im a diehard Blackberry fan..went from Bold to Z10.BB need to set down with the average guy like me or you and ask what we want.
    The iPhone is perfect for the 16 year old!
    03-06-15 05:27 PM
    To address teens the BlackBerry price list is a barrier for some I would guess... but, low end like the ifone S models didn't go very far afaik... I don't know what is going to ring the cool bell for that age group... BBM is not that... HUB&Blend don't do it... android gives them what they want as development is driven by the market... I have no clue what drives BlackBerry World !!
    RH1Pearl and Kurdis Blough like this.
    03-06-15 06:31 PM
    Younger generation prefer fancy stuff, games and entertainment rather than productivity and security.

Posted via CB10
    bh7171 likes this.
    03-06-15 07:11 PM
    Simple, Too many in USA need a phone available through their carrier in order to finance their phone. BlackBerry isn't available at carrier! Plus, if a phone isn't sitting on a carriers store shelf, the majority do not know it exists.

Posted via CB10
    This is exactly the reason... and the reason Chen fails to recognize.

No one outside this geek community even knows BlackBerry still exits.

Until and unless Chen gets off his foolhardy "software will save the day" horse and starts caring about carrier relations, BlackBerry as we know has nothing but failure in its future.

Posted via CB10
    JeepBB likes this.
    03-06-15 07:15 PM
    I do agree as well. I don't care what the "kids" say about my blackberry. I'm not interested in their opinions (smile)
    03-06-15 07:48 PM
    This is exactly the reason... and the reason Chen fails to recognize.

No one outside this geek community even knows BlackBerry still exits.

Until and unless Chen gets off his foolhardy "software will save the day" horse and starts caring about carrier relations, BlackBerry as we know has nothing but failure in its future.
    You are assuming that Chen actually WANTS to save the hardware business, in which case I agree: nothing he is doing makes much sense.

But if you assume that he's attempting to transition BB away from being a handset manufacturer and into being a software and services company, then everything he has said and done (except perhaps his "app neutrality" stance) makes perfect sense. IMO, there's a reason the board brought in a software and services guy to replace hardware guys, and it isn't to keep the hardware business around forever.
    JeepBB likes this.
    03-06-15 07:48 PM
    Blackberry does not offer the communication features relevant to teenagers or younger demographics.

Blackberry is good at e-mail, phone calls, and BBM. What would a teenager think of these?
    1/ E-mail is not good for back and forth communication with real people. It's basically a dumping ground for stuff that can be handled later so instant notification is not so useful.
    2/ Phone calls are time consuming plus people can hear your conversation and talking in public spaces can be disruptive
    3/ Everyone is too lazy to exchange PINs for BBM. Plus, being all that secretive about your phone number is creepy. Don't waste your time talking to shady individuals you wouldn't trust with your number. Myspace and anonymous chat rooms are no longer popular.

What means of communication doesn't it support well?
    1/ Everything that involves an app... Instagram, Snapchat, Tumblr, etc. Blackberry either can't run the app or can't run the app as well as competitors and it takes more effort to install the program
    2/ Photo communications. Teens and other youth communicate nowadays more heavily by camera. It's snap and shoot for popular social networking or messaging apps. (Again, Snapchat, Instagram, Tumblr, Vine, etc.) a) Blackberries don't have great cameras. b) Their displays aren't good for viewing images or video either because they are small or have a non-standard aspect ratio.
    JeepBB likes this.
    03-06-15 07:49 PM
    If you want any generation to aspire to your brand you have to market to them. Android and Google have the hammer down! My kids dig my BlackBerry devices but they love the Samsung tablets we have for the Google game and kids youtube experience. BlackBerry needs to show a younger population that you can do all this on their devices and also be Uber productive. Show some young go getters using BlackBerry in their education and then also connecting via social media and gaming. Kids want their devices to do everything! Apple and iphones don't do anything any other platform cannot do but their marketing campaigns make it seem that way. I can only imagine the kind of marketing Apple would do with this phenomenal Passport I recently started using. Could one imagine the commercials on the capacitive keyboard and or shortcuts and swiping?

The White Knight-BlackBerry Passport 10.3.1.2480
    03-06-15 07:53 PM
    What's missing? Quad core QHD device. Snapchat, Instagram... I can go on if you want.
    03-06-15 08:05 PM
    It isn't cool to have anymore.
    03-06-15 09:57 PM
    It isn't cool to have anymore.
    this
    The popularity fact plays a lot of how my generation sees Blackberry. Plus, the lack of apps, (even if you can install most of the Android applications, it's harder on BlackBerry for some)

Posted via CB10
    ponpiri likes this.
    03-06-15 10:36 PM
    Holy Crap am I sick and tired of hearing about ecosystem.
    I have Netflix, Instagram, Shazam, Songza.....name it, running perfectly on my teen's Q5 and the other teen's Z10.

It has been over 2 years now since APK can be easily installed on BlackBerry 10 devices.

Seriously, besides some other apps there isn't much else that isn't running.

It is unlikely that BlackBerry will shine as much as it already has but it is far from over especially now that a lot of carriers are getting back on board with BlackBerry.
    I'm especially impressed with Rogers,

Sure Passport is probably not going to attract youths but the other BlackBerry models are just as good.
    And with Rogers Pay-as-you-go 100 $ unlimited text for a year, there is no better deal than that if you are a parent of 4.

Posted via CB10
    CuriousFellow likes this.
    03-06-15 10:49 PM
    I have Netflix, Instagram, Shazam, Songza.....name it, running perfectly on my teen's Q5 and the other teen's Z10.

It has been over 2 years now since APK can be easily installed on BlackBerry 10 devices.

It is unlikely that BlackBerry will shine as much as it already has but it is far from over especially now that a lot of carriers are getting back on board with BlackBerry.

Sure Passport is probably not going to attract youths but the other BlackBerry models are just as good.
    And with Rogers Pay-as-you-go 100 $ unlimited text for a year, there is no better deal than that if you are a parent of 4.

Posted via CB10
    The ecosystem is still a major issue, even if one only considers ease of access. Ask JC... if it was as perfect as you think, we wouldn't be getting calls for app neutrality.
    KR2013 and JeepBB like this.
    03-06-15 11:12 PM
    After reading all the comments here the only reason blackberry don't appeal to most of the younger generation is....many of them don't find them to be "cool". It has little to do with how blackberry is marketed or advertised or how many apps it has. All they have to hear is the word "blackberry" and they turn away from it quick. They perceive it as being old, out of style, out of date, irrelevant. When blackberry was on top most of the younger generation view them as something only "guys in suits" would use. Even when they heard about the latest "blackberry 10" and all of the success they accomplished, having android apps working on them, the passport being on the top 10 list, etc., they still shoot it down...just by hearing the sound of "blackberry"

Look at the world of video gaming. Did Nintendo once ruled the world in the 80s and 90s? Now we hear more about xbox series and PS Series. Nintendo sales plummeted. Why? Because most gamers view nintendo as being out of style, out of date, irrelevant. They just hear the word nintendo and they quickly discard it as being for the "older" generation.

Same wit blackberry. No matter how successful and up to date the brand might be, most young people of today would rather have android or iphone, being that they're popular in the world of today.

Posted via CB10
    03-06-15 11:13 PM
    It's a tech fad... remember "starter"? They made la kings bomber jackets back in the 80's and 90's it was synonymous with being cool and down. Now I can find a pair of starter sneakers in walmart for 15 bucks and though not Mikes they're pretty good but cheap.
    Remember detachable face car stereos were all the rage now no one cares outside of small circles what you have in the dash.
    Likewise in a few years technology will have advanced to where no one cares whether you have a BlackBerry, iphone, Wp, or droid...

Posted via CB10
    bh7171 likes this.
    03-07-15 12:08 AM

Posted via CB10
    Pls try to run android native apk side by side on blackberry handset vs android handset. See for the difference

Sabbe Satta Bhavantu Sukitatta - Posted via CB
    03-07-15 05:01 AM
    There's a big difference between designing and selling for the consumer market and making your product available to the consumer market. BlackBerry is now simply doing the latter. They are making devices that they are designing for the enterprise market and making them available to the consumer market. It should be noted that this is the strategy they initially employed before they took off as a brand.

They make the phones they make, and it's up to you to decide whether you want it or not. Whether you as a consumer pick it up doesn't matter because you're not the target audience.

JB

Posted internationally thanks to my Passport
    Simply saying, you can buy our phone, but don't expect me to prioritize your need for app or whatsever, you are not our main customer. So if you happy, you can buy, and sure I'm glad to receive your money if you want app, go to android market, be satisfied with that, no complaint and expectation

#feelingnegleted

Sabbe Satta Bhavantu Sukitatta - Posted via CB
    03-07-15 05:10 AM
    Blackberry does not offer the communication features relevant to teenagers or younger demographics.

a) Blackberries don't have great cameras.
    b) Their displays aren't good for viewing images or video either because they are small or have a non-standard aspect ratio.
    To A) my Z30 makes very good pictures.
    To B) I have 5" to watch video and look my pictures and HAVE standard ratio.

I can use Facebook and whatsapp. Both without any limitation. Watching clipfish, Myvideo, twitch. Hear music over Bluetooth in my car and at home.

No need to close camera to look the picture that I have taken, and reopen it to take the next.
    No need to open facebook or whatsapp to answer an message.

And at last the battery life is superb.

I forget the amazing sound of the speakers.
    I have TWO of them. The iCrap 6 have ONE.

For me is my Z30 the perfect entertainment device.

Posted via my BlackBerry Z30 (10.3.1.2243)
    Andy_bb_king likes this.
    03-07-15 06:01 AM
    Back in the day, when young people loved them for texting, they had colors, even pink, and names, like Bold. Now, they work well but seem boring to younger people. They need more red ( for regular price) and in-your-face names, like the BadBoy and FU6. Good speakers, like Z30, that play loud would help. Do some marketing and show that Kardashian, Tim Allen and Drake use BlackBerry but John McCain uses an iPhone.

TCB on Z10
    KR2013 likes this.
    03-07-15 06:01 AM
    What I read here is: Why does BB phone not appeal ALSO the average working man or younger generation?
    03-07-15 06:09 AM
    What I read here is: Why does BB phone not appeal ALSO the average working man or younger generation?
    because working man so called a pro, should carry something serious also, and blackberry is serious stuff LoL

and I guess Donald Trump and Mark Zurkerberg are not a pro since they don't use blackberry, BUT Kim Kardashian is a very business and serious person since she use blackberry bold :P

Judging someone quality by what kind of phone they use is silly
    JeepBB and MarsupilamiX like this.
    03-07-15 07:11 AM
    because working man so called a pro, should carry something serious also, and blackberry is serious stuff LoL

and I guess Donald Trump and Mark Zurkerberg are not a pro since they don't use blackberry, BUT Kim Kardashian is a very business and serious person since she use blackberry bold :P

You missed it. To, not Too. Too means also. I was essentially just being a ****.
    03-07-15 07:14 AM

No but you might judge the phone's quality by the kind of person using it. Obama and Clinton use BlackBerry but John McCain was widely reported as playing poker on his iPhone during the hearings on Syria. And Kardashian has an empire, being one of the most successful business women in America.

TCB on Z10
    03-07-15 08:07 AM
    We all have to face it, we're not the norm anymore. People have different tastes and we can't even begin to figure out why other people prefer one over the other even if we do try to argue all day.

Example: my dad likes newer model Mercedes while I love classic Mercedes. I'll never convince him to like the classics but hey, we love our BlackBerry phones. Haha!

People like what they like. It's a personal preference more than anything else.

Like the cars we drive, it defines us, at least in our minds, and it gives us an aura of confidence.

On the other hand my mom doesn't care what car she rides, in as long as she can get to where she's going. She uses android. Haha!

Posted via BlackBerry Passport
    KingOfQwerty likes this.
    03-07-15 08:15 AM
    And Google chairman Eric Schmidt uses a BlackBerry -- go figure!

TCB on Z10
    03-07-15 08:25 AM
358 12345 ...