So other than the physical keyboard, is there anything at all that my 9900 does better than an iPhone or Android phone? I've been a hardcore BlackBerry user and defender for 6 years. All my friends, family, and work associates have all moved to other phones. And I'm wondering what the heck am i doing?

The browser still sucks, the apps are lame, the camera sucks, the battery life isn't that great anymore, and all the cool cool apps are iPhone and Android now.

I'm tired of hearing about a really cool app, then to find out it's for iOS.

I can't even get a freaking theme for OS7. All I wanted was a Today Theme. But RIM won't give it to me! No TB7!

This is a real question. Not rhetorical, and I'm not an Apple fanboy nor Android either. Can someone restore my interest in BlackBerries again?

Oh, and Playbook sucks even harder. But so does iPad.
    05-03-12 02:36 AM
    Follow the crowd if you want. However I think u answered ur own question. BB is secure, easy to use and with a Bold extremely fast. The resolution of the screen is awesome. We both know the keyboard rocks.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9930 using Tapatalk
    05-03-12 02:47 AM
    Read this
    Link here:
    forums.crackberry.com/blackberry-playbook-f222/apple-genius-720538/

Blackberry Guy I agree with your points but again this can be turned around and say that I can accomplish all my work planning and daily tasks with 3 simple applications, Messages, Memos & Tasks. Somewhere in the middle - I don't see space for any third party app to interfere in the simplicity of these native apps. It's a fine line and RIM has perfectly bordered itself to make sure the users can work efficiently.

The ideal use of a device is the be able to use it for the least amount of time and be able to do your 'actual work' for the most part of your day. And I don't see that happening with the iStuff. Quote Thor "it should save your time and let you do what matters to you the most.."

I don't know.. Honestly, I have begun to understand RIM makes products which transform into your extension.. The BlackBerrys are a part of you and that's why the defensive mode because everything against it feels personal. On the other hand, iPhone users usually comment saying that relax it's just a device.

To cut this short - I don't think Apple is Genius. If they were then they would have created BBM to be able to communicate with a communication device..

No matter how made up this may sound.. but the iPhone is actually considered an expensive toy in my country and BlackBerry means business..

20 Keys of speed dial, Smart calling, Mobile conferencing, Native applications like Calendar, Tasks, Memos, Wallet, Password keeper, IM like BBM, Secure Native E-mail & all communication via RIM NOC, Native leisure and business applications provided by RIM, Full touch screen and physical keyboard, Bridge connectivity to native apps, Always-on 3G connectivity forwarded to tab, Flash browser, Call logs upto +1000 history, OTA device security (Protect), Remote backup, Remote restore, Personal identification number, secure BB ID (sans credit card), Secure Bluetooth, Media Server, Wireless remote access to tab (sans cloud), Micro-HDMI, Encryption, Native (free) DocsToGo, Native free Blackberry Travel, Native Twitter, Native Facebook, Native IM, Native Podcasts, Native BBM Music, Native Social Feeds, TrackPad, Application Management, Carrier Specific OS, Unlimited 3G carrier plan (only for BB in my country), Profile management, Mobile Hotspot, Convenience Key, Best PIM, Native Messages Application (extra-ordinary), Native file browser, Seamless Windows PC connectivity, Windows media player sync, iTunes sync, Desktop manager media sync, USB Storage, Drag-n-Drop enabled, Web connected Music & media player, 8GB internal storage + 16GB extendable memory card, Wireless storage sharing between tab+bb, Electronic Arts featured games, BES connectivity, Secure Wi-Fi, HD video recording, 5mp auto-focus flash camera, Native QR pairing, BBM Groups, Secure PIN messaging, Themes, Message categorization, AutoText, Universal search, Application Quick Switch, Multiple BBM Chat, Voice-note chat, BBM Connected Apps, Advanced Application permission, Integrated modem Mobile Internet, Wi-Fi Music sync, Holster settings, Fb twitter email text bbm integration into native contacts, .................................................. ..... and so much f8kin more..

I think they really mean business when you get all this by just buying a BlackBerry device. (yes I tried recollecting what I do with my BB devices and this is the list I came up with, the integration and ease of access is so tight that one would not realize the ability of this device.)

Ps. My phone has been smacked on the floor by my beloved so it's damaged and curved from one side but the slider mechanism has not given way. Phone has been dropped by me on several occasions but only minor body damage, the keypad has taken it's good share of abuse but the keys feel like heaven and the display lives up even on the sunniest of days. Build quality and reliability means something when you're a power user.

So I can easily conclude that RIM is genius because their beauty and smartness is hidden.. They don't rely on 3rd Party to get the job done. They have made a device and provided a complete package (mind you with their OWN time and money and not 3rd party).. For you to demand more of RIM and not accept what they are providing is (sorry to say it) but sheep mentality.. You have not yet learnt the ways of BlackBerry and are influenced by social culture and demands of wanting what is not required.

Ever wondered why Torch 9810 is missing NFC but Bold 9790 has one? (both OS7.1 gen).. or Torch 9810 has HD recording and the Bold 9790 is missing that? It's called smart thinking.. Analyzing the demands and wants of a customer and providing them with what they would need.. I own the 9810 and would never use the NFC (it would be limited usage to me since I don't rely on credit cards, or i always have big files to share which get done through other faster modes).. but my brother uses a 9790 (his choice of a perfect blackberry over 9900) and he uses a lot of credit cards and has many single images or web pages to share.. He never recorded video is last 5 years and was happy to have NFC over hd recording whereas I click lots of pictures and do video recording. It's RIM studying and identifying their customers. Not build a phone for Tom, D1ck n Harry.
    05-03-12 03:01 AM
    Said very well. You should be business development leader for RIM

05-03-12 03:08 AM
    You simply can't have it all and by a process of elimination you always end up with a Blackberry. BB has features that others don't have or aren't as good so you're only left with a BB as an option.

Sure the BB browser might be slower then the iphone browser but it also has additional features that may or may not slow it down. BB browser can upload and download, try uploading a photo this thread from an iphone, you can't. BB browser also stores your pages for off line browsing: open crackberry.com then close the browser. Turn all your connections off and then open crackberry.com again, it will load it regardless of not having an internet connection.

Anyway, if you think the PlayBook and the Ipad "suck" there will never be any pleasing you and your glass will always be half empty.
    RoxBox, jkomo001 and terminatorx like this.
    05-03-12 03:14 AM
    Follow the crowd if you want. However I think u answered ur own question. BB is secure, easy to use and with a Bold extremely fast. The resolution of the screen is awesome. We both know the keyboard rocks.

6 years ago, I was following the crowd and got a BlackBerry. They were unstoppable then. Like Apple is now.
    cckgz4 likes this.
    05-03-12 03:28 AM
    Said very well. You should be business development leader for RIM

Its not me but fellow CBer Varunsain. Checkou the link I posted along the post
    05-03-12 03:34 AM
    I read it. I've learned from CB. The best phone is the one that works for u.

cckgz4 and husainpatan like this.
    05-03-12 03:39 AM
    6 years ago, I was following the crowd and got a BlackBerry. They were unstoppable then. Like Apple is now.
    If BB is not for you then get something that is. Pretty simple.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9850 using Tapatalk
    shemaree09 likes this.
    05-03-12 03:40 AM
    I use it because I want to.
    05-03-12 03:54 AM
    The rise and decline of the things that are a must, now BlackBerry decline . The decline of the BlackBerry to be worse than the Nokia . Because Nokia decay just a moment away , and BlackBerry is the step by step toward the decline .
    05-03-12 04:14 AM
    If "cool" apps are a main need of yours then there is no doubt you should get an iPhone. That's their "thing".

BlackBerrys have other core strengths that are enumerated over and over throughout this forum.
    terminatorx likes this.
    05-03-12 04:18 AM
    Then leave if you seriously hate blackberry. Don't spam the forums and spam my tapatalk

Jks man. The post by varunsain is pretty cool!

Oh, blackberry ftw with bb10

Sent from my BlackBerry 9860 on 7.1.0.342 with Tapatalk and my fingers
    05-03-12 05:20 AM
    To the OP, I feel your pain...I just went and bought a 9930 and I love it. I was also caught up in a world of smartphone confusion, but I had to buy what best fits MY wants and needs (keyword MY). Is the browser slow?, no its just not as fast as some platforms. How many of these KOOL apps do I actually need or will use? I need a communication BEAST because I like to BBM, text, email, and last but not least...PHONE calls....these are just some of the many REAL world reasons I stay with BlackBerry. I suggest you buy what makes YOU happy (keyword YOU).
    05-03-12 05:42 AM
    The rise and decline of the things that are a must, now BlackBerry decline . The decline of the BlackBerry to be worse than the Nokia . Because Nokia decay just a moment away , and BlackBerry is the step by step toward the decline .
    ....let me get this straight, you posted this negative comment at 5:14 am about BlackBerry on a BlackBerry website.....Amazing......Simply Amazing, get a life.....be advised, BlackBerry will be around for years to come.
    shaleem and Griffin2012 like this.
    05-03-12 05:54 AM
    But apart from the sanitation, the medicine, education, viniculture, public order, irrigation, roads, the fresh-water system, and public health, what have the Romans ever done for us?
    Sums it up quite well I think.

Why do I still use a BlackBerry? It's not because "I believe", or because I have strong feelings about other brands that would cause me to use the word "sheeple" instead of 'people'. It's not because I complain about it.

It's frankly because it works for me. It works even better for me now that I have a PB and have the joy of a bigger screen and only one data plan.
    05-03-12 06:43 AM
    Best keyboard
    Best notificaions
    Best LED
    Fastest email
    Good battery
    Love the UI
    Useful apps
    Security
    BBM
    Efficient and simple

Some reasons.
    05-03-12 06:47 AM
    Because I want to. Nuf said.
    shaleem, mzceetee and cckgz4 like this.
    05-03-12 06:56 AM
    Good list Chrisy!
    05-03-12 06:56 AM
    So other than the physical keyboard, is there anything at all that my 9900 does better than an iPhone or Android phone? I've been a hardcore BlackBerry user and defender for 6 years. All my friends, family, and work associates have all moved to other phones. And I'm wondering what the heck am i doing?

The browser still sucks, the apps are lame, the camera sucks, the battery life isn't that great anymore, and all the cool cool apps are iPhone and Android now.

I can't even get a freaking theme for OS7. All I wanted was a Today Theme. But RIM won't give it to me! No TB7!

This is a real question. Not rhetorical, and I'm not an Apple fanboy nor Android either. Can someone restore my interest in BlackBerries again?

Oh, and Playbook sucks even harder. But so does iPad.
    Can someone restore your interest? In a word,no. If the device does not do or have anything you like or want, thn "you" need to go with what works for you.

Since the first time I held a BB I've been in love. In all honesty, the core apps on the BB have always been enough for me. The only thing I download is a good weather app, banking, ebay, amazon, evernote and some cool pertenage and tip calcs. The camera on my Storm 2 was great. My 9930's is really good, but auto focus would have made it better. The Music player is sufficient and I use my Playbook for browsing on the go.

My wife has owned an iphone 3gs and is currently on a 4s. Both are great devices that hold my interest for a hot minute. There is no denying that the iphone brought it's game face and raised the bar. For me, the user experience is just not their. I don't like using the virtual keyboard (my Storm 2 was so much better ). I don't like itunes anymore, I don't like sealed batteries, and I don't like not having a choice.

So people seem to forget that RIM works hard at giving us a huge selection of BBs to choose from. I really can't understand why some complain that a Curve does not have the same features or specs as a 9900. The Android platform does the same thing and no one complains, anyone remember the Eris? As for an outdated OS, Apple has been giving the masses pretty much the same OS for years with minor tweeks. At least Android developers try different things with there interface.

So, Why do I still use a Blackberry? Well, for me, it gets the job done. I just works with great simplicity and elegance? It's what I love to use.

All of this from a die-hard 26 year Apple veteran. Sent from my Sony Vaio
    shaleem and Spencerdl like this.
    05-03-12 07:09 AM
    why?
    I agree with the posts of the phone that fits you!
    My own experience with blackberry, 4 years +, is that phone is near on indestructable (9000 & 9800 I'm a Landscaper) dropped more times than i can recall, screen finally cracked in a puddle of water & pouring rain but totally usable,
    wet cement 3 times,
    countless water incidents and fully submerged,
    dust etc,
    burried twice (fell out of pouch),
    ran over by a dingo mini digger excavator (google it)
    and i can still run my business from it today (quotes, invoicing, etc & emails requests galore ).
    Numerous mates (tradies & IToy owners) have had to borrow it cos theirs are dead and some have switched to blackberry after seeing what mine has gone thru, and still works at the end of a hard day.
    I could also mention the sons 9700 but its had a harder life than mine, went to Iphone4s for apps etc, back to the berry cos its reliable.
    Long and the short of it is the phone that fits you and your purpose.
    Maybe switch but just dont drop the bugger.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9800 using Tapatalk

p.s. and the mobile reception & phone calls beats all other phones hands down (especially out in the country areas of australia where most fail)
    Last edited by mackpee; 05-03-12 at 07:44 AM.
    shaleem likes this.
    05-03-12 07:40 AM
    For me it is a few things:
    Tasks-I use outlook and GTD and the task categorization makes life easy
    BBM Groups-My wife and I created a group to share items like shopping lists. She can add milk to it and I can get it on the way home from work. Makes life pretty simple. We also communicated during the day with it.
    WiFi music sync is awesome!I wanted a song from my collection at home, flagged it at work and as soon as I walked in the door that night is magically appeared on my phone. I use my phone as an MP3 player often, I have tried various ipods and they have never really held my attention for long. Wifi music sync is severely underrated
    The Podcaster is great. I listen to my favorite shows on my commute.
    The integrated Search is second to none.
    Probably the biggest thing is the seamless integration of the native apps in general. I have a bold and it just feels refined, I can do whatever I need and move from program to program seamlessly. I have never been interested in the iPhone, I had a Touch for a while and it was fun for a while but I couldn't handle all of my needs. I have used several Android phones, it is a Tinker's daydream because they are a gas to play with if you like rooting. I recently tried the Galaxy note for a few days and it is a beautiful fun device, but difficult to operate with any real speed. I still find myself longing for my old Nokias from time to time for a lot of the same reasons I love BB. I would have to say though that the Bold 9900 is the best overall phone I have used so far and I have used many. I am a hardcore phone geek from way back and have used just about every major handheld platform/device since my Casio EM500. I am looking forward to BB10 because I am such a geek but I may not leave my bold for a while. I also think it is OK if RIM is not crushing Apple or Google as there are plenty of customers to go around. They are a good company that makes great products. They seem to be getting a handle on their marketing and image issues so I am sure the will get the stock price stabilized.
    Try the others and you will probably find yourself drifting back. Thanks for listening. BTW. I am getting into NFC tags and it is opening up a whole new level of functionality that is pretty awesome (if you are a geek)

Sent from my BlackBerry 9900 using Tapatalk
    Oh yeah and I have a PlayBook too!
    05-03-12 07:48 AM
    I don't follow any crowd. I get what I like best and what works best for me. I could give a runny turd what the rest of the world wants or buys. I suggest, OP, that you do the same.
    Alex_Hong, Masahiro and cckgz4 like this.
    05-03-12 07:48 AM
    Because it works me?
    mzceetee and cckgz4 like this.
    05-03-12 08:16 AM
    I've been using a blackberry for 3 years and switched to an iPhone 2 months ago, I now regret selling my torch thinking ill be a happy camper but doesn't seem to be that way as of now and cannot wait bb10 to come out. In other words, I'm getting tired of the iPhone's boring old UI and want to come back to blackberry and I was stupid enough to get rid of my bb. I like all the apps and stuff but you get bored of this same old UI very quickly. I know i know some of you are thinking why not jailbreak it and get themes, well the jailbreak isn't out for 5.1 so I'm kinda stuck with this plain look. Oh and I do miss bbm and the LED notification so I'll probably be back to blackberry sooner than I think. I've noticed that no matter which platform I switch to, I always end up coming back to blackberry. So it's all up to you OP, switch to whatever platform you like but don't get rid of your bb anytime soon because you never know, you might get that blackberry craving sometime down the road.
    05-03-12 08:36 AM
60 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD