Just curious - what gives US carriers the right to charge for GPS features in all BlackBerries when it's built in to the device?

No Canadian carriers charge for GPS use... is it just the US carriers trying to steal an extra buck?
    06-04-09 03:09 PM
    What US carriers charge for GPS??? T-Mo doesn't. I mean; I need a data plan to get the maps... But I've never heard of a carrier charging for GPS. That's just silly.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    06-04-09 03:15 PM
    Verizon does. Why? Because they can.
    06-04-09 03:18 PM
    What US carriers charge for GPS??? T-Mo doesn't. I mean; I need a data plan to get the maps... But I've never heard of a carrier charging for GPS. That's just silly.

Verizon charges for GPS. I dont use them, I downloaded Garmin Mobile which is alot better than Verizons and I dont pay no monthly fee.

And yes...its to steal an extra buck.
    06-04-09 03:20 PM
    No US carrier charges for GPS. They charge to use their navigation apps such as Verizon Navigator or TeleNav for Sprint. If you have the Storm you can use of Nav Apps such as Garmin, Google Maps or Telenav.
    06-04-09 03:32 PM
    It works on my Verizon 8330, but only with BBMaps, not Google Maps. If you want the turn-by-turn stuff, then you have to pay for VZNavigator.
    06-04-09 03:39 PM
    This may come as a shock to you, but carriers are in business to make money.
    06-04-09 03:45 PM
    Verizon charges for GPS. I dont use them, I downloaded Garmin Mobile which is alot better than Verizons and I dont pay no monthly fee.

And yes...its to steal an extra buck.
    I just checked out this software, it's either $99 or $149 to purchase - how is this cheaper?
    06-04-09 04:00 PM
    No US carrier charges for GPS. They charge to use their navigation apps such as Verizon Navigator or TeleNav for Sprint. If you have the Storm you can use of Nav Apps such as Garmin, Google Maps or Telenav.
    And Canadian carriers (that actually have their own app, Telus) charge for this as well. There is no charge for the use of the GPS, but there is a monthly charge if I want to use Telus' navigation app.
    06-04-09 04:06 PM
    I just checked out this software, it's either $99 or $149 to purchase - how is this cheaper?
    Last I checked, TeleNav was $14.99/mo. Bringing it to around $180 for a year.

That makes $99 cheaper.
    06-04-09 05:26 PM
    Even if that's the case, have you seen what Canadian rates are like? Our 3 year device prices are comparable to your 2 year, data rates are ridiculously high and unreasonable, and now with Rogers, you can't upgrade your smartphone until after 2 years.
    You guys have it lucky in the States, I wouldn't be crying over a small charge that can be avoided by using a different program.
    06-04-09 06:09 PM
    For real states have it way better than canada since you're not run by monopolistic companies (rogers and bell) who charge pretty much whatever they wanna charge. Whereas you guys have like $40 unlimted EVERYTHING plans including long distance and stuff. Canadians get shafted hard when it comes to cell phone plans!! Don't fret over small charges that can be avoided

06-04-09 10:13 PM
    GPS is free for me. I like it. My son pays for it on his Verizon phone but I'm not sure why. I think it's because he's too lazy to mess with it. $10/month is nothing to a guy in the Navy making good money.
    06-04-09 10:23 PM
    TMobile does charge for TeleNav, but we can use our gps with google, etc. I found AmAze gps app with voice directions to be pretty good for a free app.

06-04-09 11:15 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD