I was curious about this as I just got a BB bold the other night(I'm loving this phone BTW),what is the purpose of this? Is it considered an invite to other BB users to message them,being we all have BB use in common or something? I guess this is more a question of forum ethics,is it considered ethical for forum member to PIN message each other to say hi or something? Also is it within the forum rules as well?
    10-28-09 05:15 PM
    I was curious about this as I just got a BB bold the other night(I'm loving this phone BTW),what is the purpose of this? Is it considered an invite to other BB users to message them,being we all have BB use in common or something? I guess this is more a question of forum ethics,is it considered ethical for forum member to PIN message each other to say hi or something? Also is it within the forum rules as well?
    It's just a way for the person to be reached through BBM. Yes, it's within the guidelines.
    10-28-09 05:17 PM
    Yep, people like to be social. But don't post it, have them PM you for it or post your barcode.

By publishing your PIN you open yourself up to spam and worse.

And don't confuse BBM with PIN messages, anyone can send you a PIN without being authorized to do so. Keep your PIN safe.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    10-28-09 05:41 PM
    Thanks guys I love these forums.
    10-28-09 08:05 PM
    Welcome to CB, enjoy the Bold (my personal fav. of all BB's!)

10-28-09 08:21 PM
    The bold is indeed nice. Wish it was on verizon. Oh well!

10-28-09 08:54 PM
    When I post, most of the time I try to be helpful and provide as detailed a set of instructions as I can, but knowing my way around my device now as compared to when I was a noob two years ago, sometimes my instructions might not make sense, so I have my barcode as my avatar, that way if the person I'm helping requires a more immediate means of contact, supposing they haven't bricked their berry and that's why they're posting, then they can scan me and bbm me if they need help... Or what if someone is too shy to post in the forums because they're afraid of harsh "noob" comments from others, then it's just an invitation to seek advice if they think I might be able to help... Just because you message someone doesn't mean you have to take long hot showers into the wee hours of the morning with them... Although there might be those out there who think that applies too, so just use good judgment... Btw, if someone does become a bit harassing, you can always just delete them and then block them using your settings in options>firewall and select "pin messages" the select "from specific" and create a blacklist! Welcome to crackberry and Cheers!

10-29-09 01:03 AM
    When I post, most of the time I try to be helpful and provide as detailed a set of instructions as I can, but knowing my way around my device now as compared to when I was a noob two years ago, sometimes my instructions might not make sense, so I have my barcode as my avatar, that way if the person I'm helping requires a more immediate means of contact, supposing they haven't bricked their berry and that's why they're posting, then they can scan me and bbm me if they need help... Or what if someone is too shy to post in the forums because they're afraid of harsh "noob" comments from others, then it's just an invitation to seek advice if they think I might be able to help... Just because you message someone doesn't mean you have to take long hot showers into the wee hours of the morning with them... Although there might be those out there who think that applies too, so just use good judgment... Btw, if someone does become a bit harassing, you can always just delete them and then block them using your settings in options>firewall and select "pin messages" the select "from specific" and create a blacklist! Welcome to crackberry and Cheers!

This is great advice. Not too long ago, I was bombarded with PIN spam. Luckily, our devices can block those "undesired" PIN messages by using its handy dandy firewall
    10-29-09 01:07 AM
    By publishing your PIN you open yourself up to spam and worse.
    Does spam happen often, though? Who really takes the time to do that? And if it gets out of hand, could you call up RIM to disable their PIN for misuse?
    10-29-09 02:10 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD