You can long press for caps on the vkb as well

Posted via CB10
    Not on SwiftKey that I can tell. Maybe there is a setting though. I'll look.

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android
    07-11-15 06:43 PM
    The question still stands: there have got to be more than .1% of cellphone users who'd opt for a PKB. There must be a larger market for them than that measly figure. Or do we have to wait for a hybrid BlackBerry-Android's emergence to find out?

Posted via CB10
    Yes I think you need a real BlackBerry keyboard available on a popular platform to accurately measure the demand.

If Typo had went forward I think you'd see quite a few attached to iPhones in business settings. Not a real bb keyboard but close from what folks like Kevin M. Said.

07-11-15 06:47 PM
    Maybe those who are 'touch typists' prefer a PKB. We touch typists were taught to keyboard without looking at our fingers, and we had to look at the screen or whatever notes (sometimes handwritten) we were reproducing/rekeying. I wonder if that's where the divide lies...

Posted via CB10
    johnny_bravo72 likes this.
    07-11-15 06:55 PM
    I still think it's funny that everyone is so quick to want to be on a touch screen phone, but we all have real keyboards on our laptops and desktops. I could think of nothing worse than typing on a flat piece of glass instead of my laptop's keyboard, and while I do love my Z30, the Classic and Passport keyboard are my favorites.

Typing on a real keyboard went out of style a while ago, but it's what I love to do. I don't consume much media on my BlackBerry. I mean, I'll watch a news or YouTube clip for a few minutes, but I've never watched an episode of anything. I have a laptop and iPad for that.

For me (and probably lots of you), I'll take the experience of typing on a physical keyboard over a touchscreen any day.
    Comparing the use of a pkb on a smartphone with a laptop/desktop is apples and blackberries. I touch type with all 10 fingers on a regular keyboard, and use only my thumbs with a pkb/vkb. World of a difference. Nothing beats a regular keyboard for marathon typing. :-)

Posted from an ME173X
    kbz1960 likes this.
    07-11-15 06:59 PM
    Maybe those who are 'touch typists' prefer a PKB. We touch typists were taught to keyboard without looking at our fingers, and we had to look at the screen or whatever notes (sometimes handwritten) we were reproducing/rekeying. I wonder if that's where the divide lies...

Posted via CB10
    ^This. Still a different experience though when using a regular keyboard.

Posted from an ME173X
    07-11-15 07:01 PM
    They are old school. Virtual keyboards are so much easier to use and faster than physical keyboards.

Posted via CB10
    07-11-15 07:07 PM
    The question still stands: there have got to be more than .1% of cellphone users who'd opt for a PKB. There must be a larger market for them than that measly figure.

Posted via CB10
    Why is reality so hard to accept?
    07-11-15 07:43 PM

Posted via CB10
    No, as I started learning to type by touch on a typewriter when I was nine years old. The only time I ever preferred a physical qwerty keyboard on a phone was when my choice was between that, a T-9 keyboard, and a resistive touchscreen keyboard (that I couldn't afford). Once capacitive touchscreen phones came out with a choice of virtual keyboards, I never considered a phone with a physical keyboard as my primary or secondary device again.
    07-11-15 07:49 PM
    Use to be folks wrote lyrics, books and articles on BlackBerrys. Maybe some still do that on virtual keyboards. Who knows.

For me there is a satisfaction of the feel of the physical keys and appreciation of the design. Same as folks liking metal phones because of the feel and design qualities even though plastic is more practical. Or intricately built fancy mechanical watches even though if one has a smartphone they don't need a watch, and in this case digital/plastic is also more practical. I admire the feel and design of the BB physical keyboard in that same manner.

I am probably faster on say SwiftKey -- but I find it more satisfying to type on my Passport.

My ideal phone would be a Passport running a BlackBerry Android OS (with hub, etc.). For now I settle by using an LG G2 and a Passport.
    I still write/type lyrics on my BlackBerry. Im also a freelance writer. I can't imagine using anything BUT a physical keyboard. And BlackBerry is the best @ providing that for me and others. Im sure it's possible to write books, lyrics, etc on a virtual keyboard, but that's not feasible nor comfortable for me.

Posted via CB10
    07-11-15 09:06 PM
    I was referring to a BlackBerry vkb. Android keyboard to me suck in any variability although some are less sucky than others lol

Posted via CB10
    07-11-15 09:21 PM
    I'm sure when you young folks get to my age (69 this year) or have the shakes (like me) you will WANT a PKB or be ready to do so many corrections it will drive you nuts and you toss your slab phones. For me the PKB is a hundred times easier.
    07-11-15 09:46 PM
    I could see that. Heck I might like a pkb. I've never had one. Afraid to try it

Posted via CB10
    07-11-15 10:04 PM
    I really think those of you who prefer a physical keyboard never really learned how to use a vkb. I say that because many of you have said you prefer to type while not looking at the keys and instead look at the screen. I don't ever look at the keys when I type on a vkb. I look at the screen just like I look at a computer screen when I type. I don't know anyone who stares at the keys on a vkb while they type. It's no different than typing on a pkb. It's not like the letters are laid out in a different way on a vkb. Everything is the same but faster and more accurate on a vkb.
    21stNow likes this.
    07-11-15 10:05 PM
    I'm sure when you young folks get to my age (69 this year) or have the shakes (like me) you will WANT a PKB or be ready to do so many corrections it will drive you nuts and you toss your slab phones. For me the PKB is a hundred times easier.
    Maybe, but someone who's only typed on a vkb might still do better than with a pkb. You do better on a pkb because that's probably what you are used to.
    07-11-15 10:09 PM
    I don't know anyone who stares at the keys on a vkb while they type. It's no different than typing on a pkb. It's not like the letters are laid out in a different way on a vkb. Everything is the same but faster and more accurate on a vkb.
    Interesting. Almost everyone I know does. Mostly older folks using iPhones. They all look at the keys as they peck out letters one a time. In fact my mother uses a stylus on her iPhone. I doubt she could use a stylus without looking at the keys.

07-11-15 10:25 PM
    I really think those of you who prefer a physical keyboard never really learned how to use a vkb. I say that because many of you have said you prefer to type while not looking at the keys and instead look at the screen. I don't ever look at the keys when I type on a vkb. I look at the screen just like I look at a computer screen when I type. I don't know anyone who stares at the keys on a vkb while they type. It's no different than typing on a pkb. It's not like the letters are laid out in a different way on a vkb. Everything is the same but faster and more accurate on a vkb.
    You don't look at the keys when typing on a VKB because the qwerty layout's the same? Nobody disputes that, but it's the separation between the keys - - that's the problem. So this explains why I get messages riddled with typos from iPhone and Samsung users.... It's hard to make that claim while simultaneously telling us how useful your SwiftKey suggestions, or autocorrect, or flicking are. Yes, looking at and choosing word suggestions becomes second nature, and might 'feel' invisible to you, but you're NOT looking at the screen output, and you're not as quick as I am on a PKB.

BTW, this message was typed on my 7" tablet using SwiftKey, and it was a massive pain in the a&&.

KingOfQwerty likes this.
    07-11-15 10:47 PM
    Many work environments have changed and people are not tied to their laptop or Blackberrys (for that matter) cranking out tons of emails anymore. I think this is why many prefer a touch screen to the KB. Since 90% of my company employees uses iPhones, it makes many blackberry users adapt to the changing mobile environment so we learn to type slower on the touchscreen in order to avoid typos. This was something you never had to think about with BB- you just typed and sent the email off!
    Oshasat likes this.
    07-11-15 10:55 PM
    You don't look at the keys when typing on a VKB because the qwerty layout's the same? Nobody disputes that, but it's the separation between the keys - - that's the problem. So this explains why I get messages riddled with typos from iPhone and Samsung users.... It's hard to make that claim while simultaneously telling us how useful your SwiftKey suggestions, or autocorrect, or flicking are. Yes, looking at and choosing word suggestions becomes second nature, and might 'feel' invisible to you, but you're NOT looking at the screen output, and you're not as quick as I am on a PKB.

BTW, this message was typed on my 7" tablet using SwiftKey, and it was a massive pain in the a&&.

This is what I was thinking.

I'm 100% PKB. I know some prefer VKB and that's ok, but it's not superior. You can get good at it, and flicking makes you quick, but if you're not looking you'll have the odd typo. Which is also no big deal most of the time in familiar communication.

But it's a trade off. You have a VKB because it does the job and you're not losing screen real estate.

I wonder what percentage of mobile users got in the game recently enough to have never used anything but a full touch?

Posted via CB10
    07-11-15 11:40 PM
    I'm 100% PKB as well. Less time wasted going back to jab at the screen and hope I land the cursor where I want it to go to correct an error. I tried using an iPhone for a month and went running back to my BlackBerry.

Posted via CB10
    Oshasat likes this.
    07-12-15 12:14 AM
    I love the keyboard love typing long emails on my passport ,on a touch screen im rubbish
    07-12-15 12:53 AM
    This not looking at the screen while I type is overrated. The 12 years I used a PKB I had to look at the KB as I am a one finger typist. I bet a lot of users that willingly switched from PKB to VKB are one finger typists. Besides, how many people write with a pen and not look at the paper they're writing on.
    21stNow likes this.
    07-12-15 01:06 AM

You don't have to get so defensive. We're talking keyboards here and not politics. And you have no idea if you are faster than me with your pkb, and I highly doubt you are. And you see a lot of mistakes because people typically don't care if they make a small spelling error on a message they are sending. People make just as many mistakes on a pkb and if they didn't there would be no sense in having autocorrect built in to them. BB would have just left it off because people wouldn't need it.
    21stNow likes this.
    07-12-15 04:43 AM
    Interesting. Almost everyone I know does. Mostly older folks using iPhones. They all look at the keys as they peck out letters one a time. In fact my mother uses a stylus on her iPhone. I doubt she could use a stylus without looking at the keys.

The older generation would be pecking at the screen with a pkb just the same so that's not really a good example. Do you think your mother would be flying around on her pkb if she had one?
    RH1Pearl likes this.
    07-12-15 04:44 AM
    PKBs are old school. Nothing wrong with being old school.
    07-12-15 05:54 AM
    Because virtual keyboards have improved so much since they were first introduced. They are more adaptable, don't get hardware problems, and leave more screen space for when you want it. They are considered old school the same way in that VCR tapes became old school when DVDs were launched and how DVDs are considered old school because of digital files. It's just the natural profession of things.

I disagree with the statement above as I'd much rather type out a long email on a virtual keyboard. It's faster, I'm more accurate, and I don't get finger fatigue from pushing the buttons. For me, typing out a long email on the Passport is hell. I have fairly large hands but stretching for the keyboard gets old and on a long message my hands get tired.
    I laugh when people compare the physical keyboard to the VCR and DVDs. The analogy is flawed. VCRs became obsolete because they were replaced by better technology: better retention with time, reliable error correction, better compression, and reliable readout, etc. Similarly, DVDs are becoming obsolete because they are being replaced by better technology.

Physical keyboards are being replaced by virtual keyboards not because virtual keyboards are better at typing, but because they enable the use of a larger screen. But, of course, you can trust the posters here to regurgitate the tired similes propagated by clueless "tech" journalists.

Normally, I try not to point out typing or spelling mistakes unless the poster is waxing eloquent about the virtual keyboard, or missing the point and not realizing it. So, could you find out what error you made above? Hint: It is an auto-correct error that your virtual keyboard was not smart enough to figure out ;-).

Q10/10.3.1.2582
    Last edited by clickitykeys; 07-12-15 at 06:59 AM.
    07-12-15 06:35 AM
400 1234 ...