256mb of ram
    2.0 megapixel camera + no flash
    Low resolution screen
    Cheap/plastic feel hardware-wise

Let's face it - we're not in 2007 anymore. I can understand that some people can't get better BB devices because they're on carriers other than Sprint, Verizon, or ATT so the Curve is their last resort. Some people think the cost is too high for the other Blackberry devices ($150-$200) but even though I have a part-time job as a student making $9/hr I can still afford to buy a more solid device like the Bold 9650.

I'm not hating on the Curve series. I think all Blackberries are legit. But what does the Curve have that the other BB devices don't have?
    09-09-10 09:11 AM
    Very small, cheaper.

For the people that just use casually the smartphone functions.
    09-09-10 09:15 AM
    Price range and keyboard. Have read many people raving about the curve keyboard and how they can't type as well on the Bold series. Not my opinion though.
    09-09-10 09:21 AM
    I don't think any other smart phone today has a 2mp camera except the curve. I don't understand were Rim is going with their phones anymore just look at their stock this year it's down 50%! I would own a blackberry if it could do what my X can do but none of them can. My last bb was the storm 2 and I didn't trust rim to give it a webkit browser and I was right that why I left. I am not to fond of the security on android devices and would love to come back but to what IMO Rim is going to end up like palm and that is sad!
    09-09-10 09:45 AM
    Like I said, for the price range the Curve would be around $79.99-$149.99. Spend an extra $50-$100 and you could get more bang for your buck. The Curve looks inferior compared to other modern phones today, and I'm not even referring to Apple/Android.
    09-09-10 09:51 AM
    I own 5 Blackberry's with my 8330 being the oldest but I'm attached to it. Its a good reliable phone and i never have any issues with it. I like the look and feel. When I activate one of my other BB's it only takes me about a month to go back to my 8330.

Different strokes for different folks i guess. Next time your walking down the street, have a look at what peoples phones are, I'm willing to bet you will see alot of 83XX.

It just a good affordable, reliable phone that looks good.

Like I told another guy,

A Ferrari is a Ferrari, it doesn't matter what Ferrari you drive, they all show you have class>
    chanpisan likes this.
    09-09-10 01:22 PM
    Price point would be the biggest reason. Some people could have a preference for the Curve. $50-100 could be a lot of money to some people.
    09-09-10 01:32 PM
    1. Cost
    2. size (smaller than other blackberries with full keyboard)

Other than that I can't really think of anything. Those 2 things are what sold me. And as for the 2mp camera, I could care less as long as it has some sort of camera to snap quick shots. Let's face it, its a cell phone not a camera. Your not going to get great photos from any cell phone and if photos is want you want you need a camera.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    09-09-10 01:35 PM
    Price range as already stated. And the fact that they're pretty small, light, compact,
    and could be thrown around. The chiclet type keyboard actually isn't bad either.
    09-09-10 01:35 PM
    If you are buying more than one device, for a family or for a company, the price difference multiplies.
    09-09-10 01:41 PM
    It's not just price range, the only big difference other than sims, more megapixels and wifi it is the ability for more expensive models to hold a lot more crap. Other than that all blackberries pretty much do the same thing. Unfortunately for some, how well they work is strictly up to the person who owns it!

09-09-10 02:02 PM
    If you are buying more than one device, for a family or for a company, the price difference multiplies.
    I didn't even think of this and couldn't agree more. Buy 4 blackberries at once (that's what we do) is a lot different than buying 1

09-09-10 04:11 PM
    I had the 8530 for one day and returned it because the phone just felt so cheap. The keyboard was wobbly and felt like I could snap the phone in half. Now having an 8330 again is way better and planning to hold onto this phone for awhile.
    09-09-10 05:27 PM
    I know my wife prefers her Curve keyboard over my Tour keyboard. She doesn't like the Bold-style keyboard, but likes how the Curve keys seem to be raised above the rest of the device. I guess if you have nails, it can help to make the typing experience better. Seeing how the Curve line has been the top-selling device for the past couple of years, I'm sure there are other features that keep it selling.

Personally, I like the Bold-style keyboard. I actually got out my 8830WE the other day and was playing around with it. I was surprised at how "clicky" the keys were compared to my Tour. I could type on it just fine, and the keys seemed to be more noticeable to my fingers.

I can understand the idea of a low-end device. I'm just surprised they didn't expand the 8900 series into a better-packed Curve with all the bells and whistles.
    09-09-10 05:40 PM
    My 8330m ended up costing me $50 with discount and mail-in rebate last time around at upgrade time. (I did not have a BlackBerry before that.) It's the best phone I ever had. Just yesterday I went over to my carrier's store and checked out the 9650. It was a wonderful device, but it would still cost me $200 out-of-pocket even after my upgrade discount and mail-in rebate. I could certainly get it if I had to, but I'm trying hard to resist the urge to impulse shop, especially when I already have a perfectly working device. My Curve works perfectly and suits my needs just fine. I couldn't see any reason to spend the money in the moment when it's doubtful just how much more the upgrade device would benefit me. The added value didn't seem proportional to what I'd have to pay for the upgrade. Now, if the carrier was running another deal, and it had only been $100 out-of-pocket, I would've probably jumped on it.
    Mr.Willie likes this.
    09-09-10 05:50 PM
    Yep, we've got over 100 BB users. Upgrade pricing is 20 on the Curve or 100 on the Bold. You've got to have some pull or special circumstances to get the high-end models. Thankfully, most casual users don't notice a difference between the two, appearance-wise...
    09-09-10 05:53 PM
    HI,

1. I do not like touch screens
    2. It was cheap $50.00 at Best Buy and no rebates
    3. It does what i need
    09-09-10 06:06 PM
    My 8330m w/ camera flash does everything I need it to. I've taken plenty of good pictures with it. Sure they're not the quality of my $$$ camera but they don't need to be....its a phone.
    As far as loading more "crap" on to it I have a handful of choice apps & a couple cool themes, & still have about 15mb.
    I like the keyboard better than any I've tried of family & friends with other phones. I am not a small guy & believe me it works quite well under my thumbs.
    Yes the price was a factor when I 1st got it. but it has paid for itself many,many times over. The 9650 is a nice device. But my 8330m has been a workhorse & I have no interest in upgrading right now because of that fact. When/if something substantial comes along on my carrier or this one takes a dirt nap then I will.
    I Love my BB & will always be a BB devotee. Not to sound cliche but. It does what I want it to. Plain & simple.
    1.If I want to play something more than BrickBreaker, Ka-Glom or BlockBerry. I will use my XBOX, Wii, PSP or my PC.
    2. If I want to watch movies or TV I'll turn on my 55" w/ surround sound.
    My BB is a texting, emailing, phoning Monster & I Love it.
    Thanx 4 lettin me rant :-)

09-09-10 06:32 PM
    I prefer the Bold over the Curve. I have had all of them and I am just thrilled with the Bold. The keypad is great.
    09-09-10 08:10 PM
    I don't like how they downgraded the Curve line. I have an 8900, and I was drawn to it mainly because of the keyboard. I like how the keys are separated...makes it easier to type for me.
    09-09-10 10:27 PM
    keyboards... and my company is paying for it.. that's why?
    09-09-10 10:31 PM
    The curve line used to be the best. I still think that the 8330 is one of the best blackberry devices ever made.
    09-10-10 03:17 AM
    I still think that the 8330 is one of the best blackberry devices ever made.
    I love to read stuff like this. It's heartening in the middle of all the posts that purport to tell the Curve user how much he's missing. I never understood why, especially when my Curve does so much so well.
    09-10-10 06:07 AM
    0 dollars or 200 dollars.

Which is higher?

09-10-10 06:40 AM
    256mb of ram - Yeap
    2.0 megapixel camera + no flash - Yeap
    Low resolution screen - Yeap
    Cheap/plastic feel hardware-wise - No Way
    Luvvin mine which is in many ways due to shape/feel

I've 100's mobiles and already have nice shiny, polished, chrome, weighty metal (very slippery) LG Areana touch screen

Scared to death of dropping it on the street which I have (took chunk out the corner) and although it's smaller its difficult to operate with one hand because you cant grip it

Really like the shape of the curve and find it very tactile - cant stop touching it

Also really like the rubberised (bomb proof) end caps, although I cant figure why they haven't extended the rubber right round onto the front facia (probably because you would like it even less) ) - i remember drooling over Mio mobile which had rubber caps but it was far too expensive for me - I'm very confident handling my BB, it's grippy and it will survive a lot of dropping on the floor

Weight/Size is *perfect* - it feels like you have a phone in your hand but not in your pocket (my LG is smaller but pulls my pants down)
    Last edited by Chris-K; 09-10-10 at 07:06 AM.
    09-10-10 07:03 AM
55 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD