Why do people need that many apps and see the number of apps on a platform as a indicator to tell whether it is a successful ecosystem?

Why do I need a youtube app when I can use my browser to surf it on web perfectly?

Why do I need a Yelp app when my browser functions its website completely fine?

Why do I ever need another email client on my blackberry nor ~150.000 of email clients/applications in BlackBerry World when my blackberry email client works so well already?

Why do I ever need ~ 1.000.000 keyboard apps in BlackBerry World when my blackberry keyboard is so awesome?

(Search google play store please. I already put numbers far less than the real ones)

The number of apps comparison is just ridiculously funny.
    sam81 likes this.
    10-08-13 03:54 AM
    And with that mindset, you now see why Blackberry is in the situation they are in now.
    10-08-13 04:00 AM
    Why people need apps? Cause they have higher demands as to what their phone can do, than you do perhaps? And/or cause they want a better experience than what you get with a Blackberry out of the box, browser or not?
    10-08-13 04:01 AM
    I'm asking the same also. But in the end of the day, BlackBerry needs to cater to what most of the people want if they want to succeed in this game: apps, quality apps.
    sam81 likes this.
    10-08-13 04:02 AM
    You don't understand one thing. Everyone has different needs. For some people having instagram or netflix is a deal breaker. If they know that they cannot get those in BB, they just skip it.

I myself don't use those things. I just need offline navigation, cross platform chat and good communication and gaming device. And I get all of these from BB10, so I chose BB. It's similar for you, you don't have those app needs and you're OK with that.

But some people care.
    sam81 likes this.
    10-08-13 04:17 AM
    I need apps for the convenience and quickness to access something I may be need to find quickly and smoothly. Also apps make data/media look much better and cleaner.

Sent from my Q10 using Tapatalk 4
    bbq10l likes this.
    10-08-13 04:41 AM
    Why do people need apps?-img_00000319.png

Why do people need apps?-img_00000320.png

Yea I'll take the app.

Posted via CB10
    10-08-13 04:48 AM
    Y'all brought good points, to be honest. And I'm not arguing with that.

My point was why people have to rely on HOW MANY apps there are in the store on each platform?

If you search Google play store you'll see a tons of email client apps and keyboard apps whereas BB doesn't need those..
    denver negets likes this.
    10-08-13 05:32 AM

My point was why people have to rely on HOW MANY apps there are in the store on each platform?

If you search Google play store you'll see a tons of email client apps and keyboard apps whereas BB doesn't need those..
    It's not strictly relying on the number of apps for a platform. It's relying on the platform itself to be one that, whenever any given app is released, whatever the app is for, it's released for that platform.
    10-08-13 05:38 AM
    How is giving people more choices not a good thing? Everybody doesn't use their phone like you do.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using CB Forums mobile app
    21stNow and Berry_Pink like this.
    10-08-13 05:39 AM

Doesn't need those? How do you determine that?

Take Swype for example; audio/dictation, peck, swiping, handwriting. Officially, it's the fastest mobile keyboard. The availability on BB10 would make the platform that more attractive. Trust me. Choice is good.

And it isn't about the number of apps. It's the quality that counts, and that is where the Big Two win hands down.
    10-08-13 05:44 AM
    Why do people need that many apps and see the number of apps on a platform as a indicator to tell whether it is a successful ecosystem?[

Why do I need a youtube app when I can use my browser to surf it on web perfectly?

Why do I ever need another email client on my blackberry nor ~150.000 of email clients/applications in BlackBerry World when my blackberry email client works so well already?

Why do I ever need ~ 1.000.000 keyboard apps in BlackBerry World when my blackberry keyboard is so awesome?

(Search google play store please. I already put numbers far less than the real ones)

(BBM#33)
    10-08-13 06:01 AM
    why would people buy a phone so they can play games and watch movies boggles the mind .... seriously
    10-08-13 06:06 AM
    why would people buy a phone so they can play games and watch movies boggles the mind .... seriously
    why i buy a phone that don't have business related apps i needed . eventhough it's being called business phone

but my games/movies toys phone have the business related apps i needed
    10-08-13 06:18 AM
    Chacun fait c'qui lui plait.
    10-08-13 06:18 AM
    Would people buy a computer with no software except a browser and a mail client available? I sure wouldn't. Sure I could do some things with it but what a waste. Why buy limitations especially for the same price as a real portable computing tool?

Posted via CB10
    10-08-13 06:21 AM
    I'm actually curious now... what do you think a smartphone should be used for?
    xandermac and cckgz4 like this.
    10-08-13 06:48 AM
    Why do people need that many apps and see the number of apps on a platform as a indicator to tell whether it is a successful ecosystem?

OP, people have different needs when it comes to their cell phones. Some only use it to make calls, send text messages and emails. Others use it for many other things such as banking, entertainment, business, ordering food, making reservations, making sales tracking, inventory, watching movies, .etc. For many of these things, having the right app available greatly simplifies the process and greatly enhances both the functionality and capabilities of the cell phone. It also enables a person to be more productive.

Asking why people needs apps is like asking why can't everyone use a flip phone for their cellphone needs or why can't everyone use a typewriter for typing documents instead of a computer and a word processor.

OP, one thing to note is that as technology evolves, people's needs and their productivity requirements evolve with it.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy Note Tablet
    10-08-13 07:04 AM
    I'm actually curious now... what do you think a smartphone should be used for?
    A good question, and probably one that should be asked at point-of-sale by a good salesman when trying to establish someone's brand of choice.

Personally, I like mine to be a bit of everything. PIM stuff, social stuff, communication stuff, some of my music, and some daft games to alleviate the odd minute of boredom. I think that this is why I'm very happy with my z10.

I'm not a high powered person fielding complaints from staff about the phones that they have been given. I'm not the sort of person who live-tweets their entire day or feels the need to [generic picture filter/publishing app] every meal (although my wife's minestrone soup this weekend deserved that treatment!). I'm not the sort who needs to stream a movie through my phone to my tv, wirelessly or not.

All the above are valid uses, and valid requirements, but just not mine - that doesn't mean it's the perfect device, but it does what I need, so it was my choice. I have pretty much all the apps I want, and 10.2 should help me fill the gap with some conversions (my banking app for example).

If this thread were titled "why does anyone need two Grestch 6120 guitars", you would have a tl;dr entry from me though!
    Vorkosigan likes this.
    10-08-13 07:14 AM
    I somewhat agree with the OP. I never saw the purpose of an app if the browser was powerful enough to bring the same experience using responsive design.

HOWEVER, I'm a huge advocate for apps for the sake of BlackBerry. The mobile competition for BlackBerry isn't with features. Its with the app ecosystems. Apps gets you in the race. The features and out of the box experience will win it.

Windows phone isn't terrible at all. Its a really nice device. Yet, it doesn't sell. Same with the Z10. Great device. Yet it's not selling. The common factor is the lack of apps.

Posted via CB10
    Sexy Sadie likes this.
    10-08-13 07:17 AM

It has been said by a previous poster that not everyone uses their phone like you do.

Say my small town bank has an app. Will it be downloaded by a great many people? No. But it is available for those who want it.

There are many thousands of apps that will have appeal to just a handful of users, but they are there.
    An individual may only need a few apps, but those apps will be different for everyone.
    Tre Lawrence and 21stNow like this.
    10-08-13 07:22 AM
    Ease of use, notifications, more aesthetic, more functionality
    21stNow and bekkay like this.
    10-08-13 07:22 AM
    More apps creates better quality apps. Just like in any other industry. How do developers overleap one another? By continually providing a better product. More players means more competition.

How did swift key evolve? By taking swype and improving on it. Its evolution.

The more developers you have adding features and introducing us to new user interfaces, the better it is for consumers.
    10-08-13 07:37 AM
    For the same reason that a quality encyclopedia needs a lot of entries, even though no individual user will ever read more than a small fraction of them.

You don't, but why do you only mention apps for which there are web equivalents? Are you unaware that there are many, many apps for which there are no such equivalents? In the case of Google Play, there are many apps that enable the user to customize the way his phone works. No web site does that.

You might want functionality that the BB email client lacks. The fact that it works well doesn't mean it couldn't possibly be improved upon.

You might prefer Swype or something like it. It was one of the reasons why I left BB10.

No, what's funny is the persistent delusion that the browser makes apps irrelevant, or that having plenty of choices in how to do things on your phone is unimportant.
    10-08-13 07:43 AM
    You know this question is brought up all the time. I used to be one of you who said apps aren't what makes a phone etc etc.

But the apps are at the heart of what people want. In most cases the only people who don't care about apps, are these "power users" who want their phone to be a communication tool. Which is fine, but smartphones go above any beyond that.

If anything blackberrys situation is directly related to the way the OP thinks.

Hey blackberry, stop living in a bubble, there is a big world outside of the corporate one so you may want to see what the average everyday user is wanting and needing.
    bbq10l and JeepBB like this.
    10-08-13 07:48 AM
104 123 ...