-> Because I'm coding much-much more.
    Learning curve of BB10 Webworks seems really smooth, my rusty fingers are agile again and I must say ... I love that !

I can't say more than this : I you are/were some kind of Web Developer, just jump into the ship and start the FLOW - CONNECT - EXTEND experience ...
    A bit tricky for 1 or 2 days (yay: if you're not motivated: don't waste your time) mostly due to install and configuration ... but now ... let's ROCK this device to the max !

(oh, did one at the rear shout "and that's a fact ?")

youNeedAnotherDeviceLikeYouNeedaHoleInYourHead.bab e
    06-18-12 02:51 PM
    That's awesome and good to hear. I myself am busy learning to code as well, for the first time ever. Kinda intimidating when other people have been coding since when they were like 9. LOL
    Stewartj1 and Superfly_FR like this.
    06-18-12 02:57 PM
    Wanting to code for the first time. I have great ideas just don't know where to start. Anyone have any suggestions?
    06-18-12 03:09 PM
    Good for you SuperFly, can't wait to see your first app.

Be sure to let us know when it's on App World.
    Superfly_FR likes this.
    06-18-12 05:10 PM
    Wanting to code for the first time. I have great ideas just don't know where to start. Anyone have any suggestions?
    I believe the easiest start for simple apps would be the webworks track.
    HTML is a pretty intuitive language, so you may start easy. Rules of the thumb :
    - Do not skip stages
    - Start with easy projects
    - Get involved in community
    - It's a real job, don't expect to become millionaire in a week.

Then, some resources you can explore (quoted from a private message, "as is"):
    Well, if you're not familiar with HTML yet, I strongly suggest you get the most up to date and valid HTML5 learning. The most reliable source is W3 School and you might try to start here : HTML5 Tutorial.
    Then, if you really plan to use it for development purpose, you'll need some javascript skills, mostly to deal with UI and screen manipulation. There are several frameworks that are compatible with Webworks, but I'd say that RIM's open source bbui.js may be the most integrated with BB7 -> BB10 devices. Discover here : http://devblog.blackberry.com/2012/0...now-available/ And basics are here: https://github.com/blackberry/bbUI.js#the-basics.

To put all of this together, you'll need the Webworks framework, documentation and tools, find it here : https://developer.blackberry.com/html5/

Last, while you can develop HTML files with a simple text editor, you may consider using an IDE such as Eclipse (choose Eclipse classic) here : http://www.eclipse.org/downloads/packages/eclipse-classic-372/indigosr2 or, if you have it, you could also use a tool like Dreamweaver ... but it's likely the preview/graphical design won't match once you'll use specific BB10 features.

Be patient, if you're new to this, do not expect to skip steps. Start with easy goals.
    Hope it helps.
    Good for you SuperFly, can't wait to see your first app.
    Be sure to let us know when it's on App World.
    Thanks ! You bet I will
    06-19-12 03:42 AM
    That's awesome and good to hear. I myself am busy learning to code as well, for the first time ever. Kinda intimidating when other people have been coding since when they were like 9. LOL
    Don't get intimidated, being a starter when a new paradigm appears is likely an advantage. Somehow, I must "forget" some reflexes and get rid of my "vision" of what a web app is.
    Just repetitively think, while learning/developing : FLOW - CONNECT - EXTEND. This is your new mantra
    06-19-12 03:57 AM
    I can program in BASIC, but it's doubtful that would be of any help to you.
    06-19-12 07:12 AM
    I have been messing with webworks as well, largely using HTML5 and CSS to create "enclosed" websites on device that do server calls to update data. Basically like a launcher that offers a few different features. The app isnt on app world yet, but will be eventually lol.

I have also started reading up on QT/QML and have noticed similarities in the overall structure to CSS (which makes the transition seemingly smooth). I have done some basic things on the simulator, and would love to push these out to Playbooks, but I cannot for the life of me get xsacha's method of using the PB2.x NDK to publish Cascades apps working. I have done everything that I have read in the threads to no avail.
    Superfly_FR likes this.
    06-19-12 07:21 AM
    I can program in BASIC, but it's doubtful that would be of any help to you.
    IF you have the logic
    THEN it helps a lot
    ELSE not that hard to lean a markup language such as HTML
    06-19-12 07:37 AM
    I tried my hands at developing again....but to be honest I feel as though I've been to far removed from anything resembling development for way to long.

I still downloaded all the tools tho ... Who knows, maybe one night when I get off work I'll grab a pot of coffee and see what's what.
    Last edited by MountainProud; 06-19-12 at 09:41 AM.
    Superfly_FR likes this.
    06-19-12 07:43 AM
    -> Because I'm coding much-much more....
    Awesome Superfly_FR! Some motivational posts for the starters.. One reason I'm loving everything new about BlackBerry is that it's bringing out a whole new market.. Apps which will slowly make more sense and stuff that will require some effort.. This will clearly take out the lottery ticket devs (iapp devs who just hope to make it big vs. make something useful)..

ANyways.. Best of luck!
    Superfly_FR likes this.
    06-19-12 07:55 AM
    Awesome Superfly_FR! Some motivational posts for the starters.. One reason I'm loving everything new about BlackBerry is that it's bringing out a whole new market.. Apps which will slowly make more sense and stuff that will require some effort.. This will clearly take out the lottery ticket devs (iapp devs who just hope to make it big vs. make something useful)..
    ANyways.. Best of luck!
    Thanks
    My point is also to motivate some of us - Web developers/designers - that have been a long time considered as the third wheel of what is commonly named "developers".
    It's now OUR language (the one we've been fighting with for two decades) that is spotted on the stage. Yeah, RIM should capitalize on that ... ? allo ? anyone in Waterloo ?
    Sith_Apprentice likes this.
    06-19-12 09:12 AM
    I'm looking forward to reading about your progress!! BTW your desk looks like mine...but I don't have an excuse lol.
    Superfly_FR likes this.
    06-19-12 09:26 AM
    I'm looking forward to reading about your progress!! BTW your desk looks like mine...but I don't have an excuse lol.
    Well, when it's shamble ... it's almost alive ... I feel less "alone in the dark" !
    Sherlock principle : dust thickness is the best chronology !

P.S: kids, if you read this, never quote me !!!!
    Last edited by Superfly_FR; 06-19-12 at 09:33 AM.
    Sith_Apprentice likes this.
    06-19-12 09:31 AM
    loving the boost of energy. I hope you follow through !

good luck!
    Superfly_FR likes this.
    06-19-12 09:38 AM
    Try googling codeacademy i started it but with work never made time. Maybe after the euros!
    yunvi likes this.
    06-19-12 01:42 PM
    It would be nice if a lot more developers shared the same energy and excitement like SuperFly...

I am also dabbling in the world of App Dev, but I'm going down the Cascades route instead. Taking slow baby steps as I have not used C++ since college. Trying to pick up some bits and pieces now and hope to be back on track soon.
    Superfly_FR likes this.
    06-19-12 06:51 PM
    Hi,
    I am new at this, but i cannot find where to go to be able to post a question, on this crackberry thing.......Can you provide me with some direction please.
    Thanks
    06-19-12 06:55 PM
    Way To Go SuperFly!!!! Keep on keeping on.... I want to be first in line for your App...
    06-19-12 08:37 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD