It's clear there is a cost with doing business with your chip manufacturers with drivers and such.

So here is a question for the more hardware tech savvy...

Why not use a different solution for chips? From the likes TI .
    It was in early Z-10 devices.

There are probably plenty of reasons, I just don't know what they are...hence the question
    09-29-15 08:13 AM
    I don't think TI is making chips anymore

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android
    sentimentGX4 likes this.
    09-29-15 08:15 AM
    If at all, it would only make sense to move to Intel. They are struggling as phone chips manufacturer and would welcome anybody on board. I think it would be big win-win for both.
    09-29-15 08:31 AM
    I don't think TI is making chips anymore

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android
    TI does make ARM chips still.
    09-29-15 08:52 AM
    If at all, it would only make sense to move to Intel. They are struggling as phone chips manufacturer and would welcome anybody on board. I think it would be big win-win for both.
    Interesting option, if Intel's ARM processors are on par it would be a good potential.
    09-29-15 08:55 AM
    Interesting option, if Intel's ARM processors are on par it would be a good potential.
    Intel doesn't make a arm chip they are x86. BlackBerry would have to rewrite bb10 to support x86

Posted via CB10
    sentimentGX4 likes this.
    09-29-15 09:46 AM
    Intel doesn't make a arm chip they are x86. BlackBerry would have to rewrite bb10 to support x86

Posted via CB10
    Actually they 'do'.

from: Intel Becomes An ARM Chip Maker - Intel Corporation (NASDAQ:INTC) | Seeking Alpha
    Intel has announced the purchase of Altera for $16.7 billion.
    Altera's product portfolio includes ARM chips fabricated on Intel's most advanced process.
    Intel has indicated that it will allow fabrication of Altera's ARM chips to continue, even into the next more advanced fabrication process.
    09-29-15 10:07 AM
    Is the TI-84 processor fast enough to handle BB10? I hope it has enough RAM.
    09-29-15 10:08 AM
    Is the TI-84 processor fast enough to handle BB10? I hope it has enough RAM.
    All 2megabytes baby
    09-29-15 10:15 AM
    Actually they 'do'.

from: Intel Becomes An ARM Chip Maker - Intel Corporation (NASDAQ:INTC) | Seeking Alpha
    Intel has announced the purchase of Altera for $16.7 billion.
    Altera's product portfolio includes ARM chips fabricated on Intel's most advanced process.
    Intel has indicated that it will allow fabrication of Altera's ARM chips to continue, even into the next more advanced fabrication process.
    Name a Intel arm chip that is in any current phone or tablet.

Posted via CB10
    09-29-15 10:47 AM
    TI does make ARM chips still.
    Not for mobile.

http://mobile.reuters.com/article/id...20925?irpc=932

Posted via CB10
    09-29-15 10:51 AM
    Yeah I remember that as well, but looking over at TI site they still have mobile device chips listed with all there ARM listings.
    09-29-15 10:58 AM
    Yeah I remember that as well, but looking over at TI site they still have mobile device chips listed with all there ARM listings.
    All I see on their site is their Sitara ARM platform, which is still not for mobile.

Posted via CB10
    09-29-15 11:01 AM
    There are 5 main SoCs used in mobile devices:

• Qualcomm (the clear leader)
    • Apple's A-series (exclusive to Apple)
    • Samsung's Exynos (do they sell these to anyone else?)
    • NVidia - still trying to get mobile right and get the heat down
    • MediaTek - the low-cost Chinese competition to Qualcomm, and what's in most cheap Chinese offerings

For BB, that really only leaves three choices, and of those three, there's a clear winner: Qualcomm.
    09-29-15 11:46 AM
    All I see on their site is their Sitara ARM platform, which is still not for mobile.

Posted via CB10
    OMAP Processors | Texas Instruments

Listed in there is still the OMAP Processors for Media. Most of the other stuff has more specific applications.
    09-29-15 12:24 PM
    OMAP Processors | Texas Instruments

Listed in there is still the OMAP Processors for Media. Most of the other stuff has more specific applications.
    The newest one, the OMAP5432, is from 2013...

Posted via CB10
    09-29-15 12:31 PM

• MediaTek - the low-cost Chinese competition to Qualcomm, and what's in most cheap Chinese offerings

For BB, that really only leaves three choices, and of those three, there's a clear winner: Qualcomm.
    Oh I have no doubt that Qualcomm is the way to go, but the OMAP was used in the past vs anything for any other vendor. In various other threads/convo's there is the mention of the cost of getting Qualcomm to do the driver for BB10. But looking at this (looking at various vendors), I wonder if the Neutrino support would make it easier to get chips that work with a handset. I guess the real question is, how far is BB10 from Neutrino and really is there a driver issue...?

Just idle speculation...
    09-29-15 12:33 PM
    As of a couple of years ago, I know that internally, Qualcomm was very worried about the future being low margin devices, and the low-cost chinese manufacturers.
    09-29-15 12:36 PM
    Incidentally, BlackBerry were testing BlackBerry 10 on alternative hardware at some point in the past. One Marvell platform, and oddly enough, Exynos.

Posted via CB10
    09-29-15 12:37 PM
    The newest one, the OMAP5432, is from 2013...

Posted via CB10
    Well shucks, that's right up our alley then!!

Posted from BlackBerry Classic, T-Mobile, no camera, 10.3.2.2474
    09-29-15 01:06 PM

Posted from BlackBerry Classic, T-Mobile, no camera, 10.3.2.2474
    Yep, perfect candidate for the next all touch BB10 phone, for release in the Summer of 2016... .

Posted via CB10
    09-29-15 02:48 PM

Meizu uses Exynos chips as well as a couple of Chinese OEMs.

Other than those listed, LG is experimenting with Nuclun and Huawei/HiSilicon has the Kirin SoC in its flagship devices popular in China.

Didn't one model of the Z10 use OMAP? As well as the Playbook?
    09-29-15 02:59 PM

Samsung sells Exynos 5 and 7 series to Meizu. I believe they have sold it to ZTE in the past.
    Troy Tiscareno likes this.
    09-29-15 03:02 PM

Posted via CB10
    True. Intel doesn't make arm chips.
    Knowing well Intel from inside they would be more than happy to help BlackBerry with rewriting the software and then throw it's manufacturing and marketing might behind it. Intel is more of software company now than ever before.
    The only worry is BlackBerry could be now too small for the Chipzilla to allocate resources to.
    sentimentGX4 likes this.
    09-29-15 04:05 PM
    True. Intel doesn't make arm chips.
    Knowing well Intel from inside they would be more than happy to help BlackBerry with rewriting the software and then throw it's manufacturing and marketing might behind it. Intel is more of software company now than ever before.
    The only worry is BlackBerry could be now too small for the Chipzilla to allocate resources to.
    Many of the chipmakers would likely help BBRY simply to have some presence. Chen/BBRY simply isn't that interested in putting the effort behind another BB10 device.

Though, there are possibly other costs associated with changing SoCs that we haven't factored in that made them decide to Snapdragon or bust.
    09-30-15 12:22 PM
45 12