Why cant blackberry outsource the phones to the Chinese to be made tio save money. Or licence it out to nokia. They can make money from movies,music and apps and still be in charge of the enterprise. The key is to get market share!

Posted via CB10
    08-30-13 10:07 PM
    They could license it out if they choose. It might be part of the strategic partners talke. I person dont find any issues with BB hardware other than they are still light on specs sometimes.
    08-30-13 10:13 PM
    Its just that a company like nokia or any other maker would know how to market their phone.

Posted via CB10
    08-30-13 10:27 PM
    Hmmmm.....interesting.
    08-30-13 10:48 PM
    Outsourcing the assembly of BlackBerry phones wouldn't save much. The vast majority that make up the cost of a smartphone are the components. Components that BlackBerry, or pretty much every other phone maker with the possible exception of Samsung, do not make on their own. The "factories" that BBRY owns are assembly plants. They order parts from individual component makers and assemble them. Out of an approximate BOM of about $160 for the Z10, less than $20 is probably attributable to assembly costs. The remainder is what they pay for the parts.
    fanisk likes this.
    08-31-13 02:23 AM
    I see the company's re-branding and the continued production of up to date and quality handsets as an absolute necessity, enabling them to maintain both credibility and market presence; whilst pursuing their broader business objectives.
    In short.. a HuaweiBerry just wouldn't cut it.

Z10 via CB 10
    08-31-13 03:47 AM
    But you make it sound like the hardware is the problem

Via CB10
    08-31-13 07:48 AM
    This is the least of Blackberry's troubles, when they have even greater management issues yet to be solved...
    08-31-13 08:39 AM
    outsource and license are 2 different things.
    08-31-13 10:06 AM
    If nokia or sony has a bb10, then its safe to say the carriers would have a bigger line up of phones from different makers. Just like android dominates the retail space. Also the marketing advantage from all of these companies. We need to have a larger prensence to gain market share. Kind of like Microsoft has dell,hp and so on. The pc is in most offices and homes. Yes i know pc are declining but think of the time when it ruled by havinging many companies compete at the end of the day it was still the same operating software. BlackBerry can make money not from hardware but from other sources such as apps music movies enterprise and so on. But they need to bite the bullet and get the phone out to as many people as possible to do this.

Posted via CB10
    08-31-13 10:20 AM
    Sony is the only option if BlackBerry's vision of the 'internet of things' is to fully materialize.

Benefit for Sony? Another tool in its arsenal as it goes head to head with Microsoft's XBox. As we have seen, consoles are becoming more and more central beacons for home entertainment. As xbox eventually becomes more and more integrated with windows phone what will be Sony's response? Android? I dont think so...they need something they control.
    08-31-13 11:33 AM
    People license products that sell - there is no evidence that BB10 devices sell so likely no interest in licenses.
    08-31-13 11:35 AM
    People license products that sell - there is no evidence that BB10 devices sell so likely no interest in licenses.
    People license what they think they can sell. If Sony or Lenovo or some other company thinks it can make a phone with BB10 that they sell for a sufficient profit, then licensing BB10 makes sense.

I'm not saying that the current BlackBerry sales numbers would not go into that calculation, just that proof of sales by another company is not a necessary condition before a licensing arrangement.

Posted via CB10
    08-31-13 11:53 AM
    People license what they think they can sell. If Sony or Lenovo or some other company thinks it can make a phone with BB10 that they sell for a sufficient profit, then licensing BB10 makes sense.
    but why would they think they can sell a phone with BB10? It makes as much sense as licensing WebOS for phones.
    08-31-13 12:05 PM
    but why would they think they can sell a phone with BB10? It makes as much sense as licensing WebOS for phones.
    Perhaps if they think they can make a BB10 phone cheaper than BlackBerry. I hear Nokia 520s are selling pretty well. A BB10 in the same price range could probably do well. Even if BlackBerry can't pump them out for that price, maybe a licensee could.

Posted via CB10
    08-31-13 12:23 PM
    Perhaps if they think they can make a BB10 phone cheaper than BlackBerry. I hear Nokia 520s are selling pretty well. A BB10 in the same price range could probably do well. Even if BlackBerry can't pump them out for that price, maybe a licensee could.

Posted via CB10
    Doubtful because of the RAM requirements

Sent from my XT890 using Tapatalk 4
    08-31-13 01:20 PM
    I think outsourcing could be an option like Google does with Nexus devices.

Let Samsung built a S4 like BlackBerry 10 device!

Or a HTC one BlackBerry 10

Or a Lg, Panasonic, Sony...

Focus on Software! Let others do the hardware part!

Posted via CB10
    08-31-13 01:33 PM