Amazon is preparing for 3D phone, if non tech company can make 3D phone with gestures why BB can't ???

Amazon Smartphone Specs, Details on Software Revealed — Exclusive | BGR
    04-22-14 11:15 AM
    Is there a huge demand for 3D images for BB customers? Amazon can use it to display its products so there is synergy there.
    CDM76 likes this.
    04-22-14 11:20 AM
    I m talking about innovation not demand. demand will be there if product get success.
    04-22-14 11:25 AM
    There have been a number of 3D phones in the market in the past number of years. None have been very successful. Even the Nintendo DS-3D wasn't very successful. I did have the chance to check out some of the 3D phones at the CTIA Wireless show a number of years ago, and although kind of cool, they gave me a head ache after a very short time.
    ryanza likes this.
    04-22-14 11:26 AM
    There have been a number of 3D phones in the market in the past number of years. None have been very successful. Even the Nintendo DS-3D wasn't very successful. I did have the chance to check out some of the 3D phones at the CTIA Wireless show a number of years ago, and although kind of cool, they gave me a head ache after a very short time.
    I am not fan of 3D, just curious how easy to invent this days. why BB can't bring innovative on table?
    04-22-14 11:29 AM
    I thought the same as you guys and dismissed this as yet another in the line of 3D gimmickry.

But then I read the article. This is nothing as mundane as displaying 3D images. What they're describing is a innovative new way of interacting with the phone. If this works out, this will be an advancement similar to how the iPhone introduced finger swipe gestures and pinch-to-zoom.

With its first handset, Amazon will introduce a variety of unique gesture controls.

By tilting the handset in different directions while the device is in use, Amazon’s interface will display additional information on the screen without the user having to touch or tap anything. This will not only be a point of differentiation for the company’s phone lineup, but also a way for larger devices such as Amazon’s upcoming 4.7-inch flagship phone to be operated more comfortably with one hand.

Our sources gave us several examples of areas where these new gestures will be utilized.

In the phone’s email and calendar apps where small icons are displayed with no labels, a slight tilt will reveal labels beneath each icon, informing the user of its function. If the user performs a tilt gesture after searching for a restaurant in the maps app, Yelp ratings will appear on top of the various results plotted on the map.

In Amazon’s video store, a tilt gesture displays IMDb ratings on top of movie thumbnails. And when viewing products on Amazon.com, gestures might cycle through images to reveal different product views.

Amazon’s motion sensing and head tracking technology also changes the way users access menus and other features in apps. In fact, we’re told that Amazon’s smartphone apps don’t even have traditional menu buttons. Instead, menus and other functions are accessed by tilting the phone to the right or left. These tilts cause new panels to slide in over the current screen.

So for example, if the user tilts the phone to one side while reading a book in the Kindle app, the phone will open the X-Ray menu, which is a reference tool that provides contextual information relevant to whatever the user might be reading at the time.

A tilt in the messaging app while composing a new message will open up a panel with the phone’s camera roll, allowing users to quickly and easily insert a photo. Tilting the phone to one side while using the weather app reveals the extended forecast.

Amazon has also created several zero-touch controls that are triggered by tilt gestures, our sources said. For example, tilting the phone up or down while reading a book in the Kindle app or while viewing a page in the web browser will scroll the page in the appropriate direction.
    04-22-14 11:33 AM
    this could be easy for BB, since they already have gesture base OS.
    theRock1975 likes this.
    04-22-14 11:38 AM
    I am not fan of 3D, just curious how easy to invent this days. why BB can't bring innovative on table?
    I think the point is that it isn't very innovative at this point and it isn't very pleasurable to use. I read the BGR article and I have to admit the gestures and tilting of the phone sounds like it would be a pain in the you know what. I would assume many mistaken tilts would become irritating over time. I guess we'll have to wait and see. It's also interesting to see that like apple and the Z30 it will have a screen res less than 1080p. The forums should explode over that...or maybe that's just when BlackBerry does it.

Posted via CB10
    04-22-14 11:40 AM
    BlackBerry needs to get their business up running again before they can experiment with blue ocean technologies. Neither have they the financial nor the human resources for something like that in their current position.
    This is an entirely different story with amazon.

By the way, amazon is way past the "non technology company" status.

Posted via CB10
    04-22-14 11:58 AM
    When I read the original post, I had this vision of us all wearing silly glasses when we used our phones. Lol.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9900 using Tapatalk
    04-22-14 12:47 PM
    I'm lost why this matters, remember phones with 3D cameras? Didn't last long, cost millions to research, waste of money. This is gimmick which is useless to 99% phones users.

Posted via CB10
    04-22-14 12:55 PM
    I don't think you can expect Blackberry to be able to compete on innovation with much larger companies with much more developed ecosystems. A company that sells 50 million smartphones per quarter can afford to spend a lot of time and money and, more importantly, buy proven successful technologies ripe for exploitation. A company like Amazon doesn't even have to sell that many phones because they are just selling portals to their other products.

A more logical strategy that Blackberry has embraced is reverse-innovation. That's where you hang-on to old technologies that your current customers still want, albeit in smaller and smaller numbers. Keyboards, trackpads, square screens, 3G, etc. isn't going to excite anyone but it can stop the hardware business from bleeding money. And these technologies are ready this year
    04-22-14 01:01 PM
    They probably can make something like this. . . just doesn't make sense to spend the resources on it right now. . .
    04-22-14 01:05 PM
    The only innovation left in smartphone is battery life.

The rest is all gimick I'm afraid.

Just because something is new, does not make it innovative.
    Dr J39, LuisCast, ADM93 and 1 others like this.
    04-22-14 01:05 PM
    Might be neat or cool but I would rather touch than tilt, do you have to tilt? Again to select? Also I have mono vision so this 3D stuff is impossible for me. It's all just a crappy blurry view.
    04-22-14 01:06 PM
    I don't think you can expect Blackberry to be able to compete on innovation with much larger companies with much more developed ecosystems. A company that sells 50 million smartphones per quarter can afford to spend a lot of time and money and, more importantly, buy proven successful technologies ripe for exploitation.

A more logical strategy that Blackberry has embraced is reverse-innovation. That's where you hang-on to old technologies that your current customers still want, albeit in smaller and smaller numbers. Keyboards, trackpads, square screens, 3G, etc. isn't going to excite anyone but it can stop the hardware business from bleeding money. And these technologies are ready this year
    Reverse-innovation, also known as renovation.
    04-22-14 01:07 PM
    Actually BBRY is looking at 3D technology.

From N4BB
    "Earlier today we let you guys know about BlackBerry investing in NantHealth. Now we’ve heard from The Globe and Mail that the two are reportedly working together to create a smartphone that will cater to professionals in the healthcare industry.

The new device will supposedly be released either at the end of 2014 or early 2015, and will specialize in viewing 3D images and CT scans. On top of that, it will still have all the normal functions of a typical smartphone, such as playing different forms of media and games, as well as downloading consumer applications."
    Jerale likes this.
    04-22-14 01:47 PM
    I totally agree. Amazon is NOT A TECH COMPANY. They just sell some stuff online. They DO NOT host half the web traffic in the US. They DO NOT produce consumer electronics even.
    How could they come up with this when the NUMBER 1 TECH company in Canada could not? I am sooo confused.
    Yes, I was amazed at just how big Amazon Web Services (AWS) is. People really should look it up.

Interesting phone. Not sure how well it will translate to real use. Also, it cannot be a cheap phone to make so I wonder how it will tie into Amazon's historical subsidy strategy.

As for why BBRY doesn't "innovate": if we are talking the consumer market, they have to have a target and they have had some difficulty defining it. Amazon's is very clearly eyeballs on their content. Not sure all the extras are useful for other sites but it sure would be for Amazon.com. What I wonder is if other shopping sites start piggybacking their site designs to hook into the phone's extra capabilities. That would be some kind of influence.
    04-22-14 02:10 PM
    I totally agree. Amazon is NOT A TECH COMPANY. They just sell some stuff online. They DO NOT host half the web traffic in the US. They DO NOT produce consumer electronics even.
    How could they come up with this when the NUMBER 1 TECH company in Canada could not? I am sooo confused.
    At first I liked this because I though it was sarcasm, but then I though maybe not, I'm confused ;p
    04-22-14 02:40 PM
    I read a whole lot of TILT gestures in the new Amazon devices...hmmm doesn't BBW have an app actually called TILT? and didn't BlackBerry show concept of TILT UI to interact with the device? Wasn't there something called "Cinnamon Toast" before BB10 launched, which used TILT Gestures to display more information from the notification?

My point being is that this isn't new at all...BlackBerry has had these concepts and ideas for years and with 10.3 we will see some coming to fruition finally! The Tilt Gestures BlackBerry has, and to peak behind things or whatever is just a more advanced version of Parallax UI, which TAT also had concepts of years ago before iOS 7 ever used Parallax, which just means BlackBerry has that in the back pocket as well to implement in the UI...

SOOOO its not that BlackBerry CAN'T make this phone, its just that they are either optimizing these features to work perfectly and not kill battery, or they currently do not see the market for all these flashy gestures.
    NinjaB likes this.
    04-22-14 05:24 PM
    Why can't BlackBerry make this phone?!?-chart.png

Cutting R&D
    04-22-14 06:10 PM
    I'm no math wiz but if I'm reading it right, the chart says Blackberry spent $246M on R&D last quarter. They sold 3.4M devices so that's about $72.35 per device. It looks like they have a lot more R&D expense cutting to do if they are going to try to break even on selling 15 million smartphones per year.

For comparison purposes, Apple spent $1.33B and sold 81M mobile devices or $17.27 per mobile device not counting any PCs they sold.

As the saying goes, "Well, there's your problem!" Blackberry isn't selling enough devices to afford to spend anything on R&D.
    04-22-14 06:41 PM
    Why can't BlackBerry make this phone?!?-chart1.png
    I'm no math wiz but if I'm reading it right, the chart says Blackberry spent $246M on R&D last quarter. They sold 3.4M devices so that's about $72.35 per device. It looks like they have a lot more R&D expense cutting to do if they are going to try to break even on selling 15 million smartphones per year.

For comparison purposes, Apple spent $1.33B and sold 81M mobile devices or $17.27 per mobile device not counting any PCs they sold.

As the saying goes, "Well, there's your problem!" Blackberry isn't selling enough devices to afford to spend anything on R&D.
    04-22-14 06:52 PM
    Why cant BB make the S5, with BB 10 on it.. That would be my dream phone
    04-22-14 07:32 PM
    Why cant BB make the S5, with BB 10 on it.. That would be my dream phone
    The specs aspect of the S5? If so the Z30 runs perfect and super fast...specs might be lower than S5, but if it runs just as well then I don't understand...Unless you want the finger print scanner and heart rate monitor on the back like the S5? The only thing I could understand is the camera, they would be nice to have.

iPhone runs at much lower specs and yet runs extremely well because the OS is optimized for it...same goes for Z30 and BB10...so the camera is the only thing I would want, but Z30/10 camera is great for what I use it for.
    04-22-14 07:35 PM
60 123