BIS is what made BlackBerry famous. BlackBerry is BIS. BIS is push email. A big advantage for travellers was the lower monthly bills. This differentiated BlackBerry from all other platform. Why did you take BIS away from us? We needed more from you, but you gave us a little, and took back too much away.

Was BB OS enough, no, some consumers wanted more. They wanted apps, they wanted a faster browser, they wanted what their friends had. They also wanted BIS. So some stuck with legacy devices, while others tried BlackBerry 10 in the hope that it would satisfy their needs. But few must have apps, no BIS, many features from the legacy devices were nissing-they were disappointed. Many remained loyal, some left for another platform and some went back to OS7.

Ok, so they failed to convert many BlackBerry OS owners to BlackBerry 10. More lagacy devices were sold then that of the spanking new platform. I have to ask why.

Most people I talk to have not heard about the new platform. When I show them my Z, they are suprised at what BlackBerry has done and like it very much. But how much can three million BlackBerry 10 owners do to let the world know about this amazing product. This is the job of marketing. Where was marketing? Were they caught sleeping?

Was it too difficult to provide BIS as an option. Provide a faster browser by allowing it to use the normal Internet.

But now it's too late
    You were left at the gate
    While others got ahead
    Market the brand
    Too make it look grand
    But you hoarded you cash instead.

I have been and still am a BlackBerry fan with many legacy phones, a Z10 and a Q10, hoping to pick up a Z30 as soon as it's available. Please make this happen. Good luck.

Posted via CB on my Z 10
    09-26-13 01:01 PM
    They've done exactly that - BBM goes through NOC (BIS, if you will) and my browser goes to the public internet.
    09-26-13 01:12 PM
    I miss BIS too, but I know there is nothing that I can do about it. I'm not even in a country where BIS is really beneficial because it compresses data, so I can't even imagine how those people in those countries miss it.

BlackBerry's marketing was next to nonexistent in the early rollout days of BB10 in the U.S. It's like they waited for devices to be out for a month or two before trying to sell them. It really made no sense to me at the time, and I wouldn't fault anyone for believing that their marketing team is partially to blame for the situation BlackBerry finds itself in.

All too often we hear stories like yours, OP, where people are like, "Wow! I didn't know BlackBerry even made phones like this." I've experienced this too, as have countless other people, and this shows a complete failure of marketing to get through to people. It's not like just a few people aren't aware of BlackBerry 10. It's probably more people than we care to imagine.

Now that BlackBerry has essentially said that there won't be any more devices at all until March (though reading between the lines, I think they might be done for even longer..), I have to wonder what marketing will be like for devices that have been out for six months and three months respectively (the Z10 and Q10).

They have a chance to market BBM whenever it goes cross platform, and when many of the new tv/media apps come, there could be some commercials showing a more robust app selection or something. But at this point, I'm not holding my breath for any sort of marketing push for BlackBerry10 devices.

BlackBerry has something great, and they pretty much decided that they didn't feel the need to tell many people about it.
    amazinglygraceless likes this.
    09-26-13 01:26 PM
    So true, there is a complete lack of marketing for the new 10 devises!
    Most of the people I know, even they have BlackBerry they have no idea about them and are very impressed when they see my Z!

Sent from my Z10
    09-26-13 02:13 PM
    BlackBerry has something great, and they pretty much decided that they didn't feel the need to tell many people about it.
    True, but another part of this, and the primary reason for why I always think suggestions that the users go on some "evangelizing" campaign is senseless and ultimately futile is that BlackBerry to a very large extent relied too heavily on (a) it's well deserved (at the time) reputation and (b) the users of the platform to do some of the heavy lifting.

Both are very good things BUT absent a competent and focused marketing department none of that matters as reputation and word of mouth will only get you so far...and based on the current situation, not nearly far enough.
    09-26-13 02:38 PM
    BIS is also why people blame BB for having 'slow internet". Remember that.

I'm not even in a country where BIS is really beneficial because it compresses data, so I can't even imagine how those people in those countries miss it.
    Going The Distance likes this.
    09-26-13 02:40 PM
    I remember that and what I remember most is that it was usually BS in that the people complaining were doing so over a one, two, three second difference loading a page(s) over what other phones did.
    SK122387 likes this.
    09-26-13 03:30 PM
    I've had to triple my data plan because of no BIS
    09-26-13 03:40 PM
    I remember that and what I remember most is that it was usually BS in that the people complaining were doing so over a one, two, three second difference loading a page(s) over what other phones did.
    Yeah, not quite. My 9900 could load a page in a good 30 seconds, while any Android device of choice would have it churned out in less than 10.
    09-26-13 03:42 PM
    It depends on the carrier too. The last BIS devices I had were two 9900s and a 9810 on T-Mobile in the U.S.

Never did I have a problem with the "4G" internet (HSPA+).

Now, if I lived in Nigeria and had an old Curve 8520, also on BIS, I'm sure I'd blame my slow internet on BIS or something too.

Doesn't even have to be Nigeria. People in England with low end BlackBerrys that run on EDGE also probably unjustifiably blame BIS.
    09-26-13 03:46 PM
    There is no question that blackberry has failed in marketing when many people don't even know bb10 exists

If they do they often don't know it is a completely redesigned platform, but assume it is just like an upgrade to bbos

Posted via CB10
    milo53 likes this.
    09-26-13 03:49 PM