I'm a big fan of TED talks and one of my favorite speaker is Simon Sinek. One of his best TED talk is "How great leaders inspire action" (If you didn't see it here is the linkhttps://www.ted.com/talks/simon_sine...aign=tedspread) Now this has nothing to do with John S. Chen or Thorsten Heins leadership in a very difficult situation. Proof that they did a good job, the Blackberry still exist.

This TED talk made me question the why did BlackBerry made the Passport. It is a unique and beautiful piece of technology design that can't be mistaken for any other phone on the market. It did win several design awards and I personally love mine. The BlackBerry Passport: The Design Story video doesn't seem to truly answer this question.

So what was the belief that drove the creation of the Passport?
    Was it the same belief that Mike Lazaridis and Douglas Fregin founded RIM?
    Or is it a new Belief?

What do you think?

P.S. Making money & making creditors happy is a result not a purpose.

Why BlackBerry make Phones?-red-dot-award-blog-post-image.jpg
    05-05-16 09:45 AM
    I don't know.
    05-05-16 05:27 PM
    I've seen that video, which actually uses Apple as an example back in the days of the iPod. The "why" of the passport was likely to show innovation, to rethink how a mobile device could be used, and to make working on a mobile device easier for an end user (which is why they marketed "work wide"). I never saw a commercial for it outside YouTube though. And the lack of apps is a real problem that can't be ignored. Would be interested to see how the device would sell running Android.

Posted via CB10
    05-05-16 06:49 PM
    Interesting question.

The Passport got crossover interest. That's huge for a brand as tarnished as BB. Internals were good-to-great, audio same, screen fantastic.

But it wasn't part of a holistic device strategy, and, of course, suffered from the BB10 app deficiency. It also tends to be uncomfortable for some women to hold.

Wasn't the Passport a ML design? I love mine.

Posted via CB10
    05-05-16 07:39 PM
    If I remember correctly wasn't some of the medical community interest blackberry had at the time had a hand in wanting a wide screen. Like what was already said I think the main purpose of the passport was to show innovation. I think the recent patents filed shows that the company isn't done yet. It's merely in transition. As much as I like my Priv a red passport is in my near future.
    05-05-16 08:05 PM
    So if I understand correctly the Passport was more a WHAT Blackberry can do, instead of a WHY they did it the Passport. Do you think it applies to the other phones?
    05-05-16 08:15 PM
    Interesting question.

The Passport got crossover interest. That's huge for a brand as tarnished as BB. Internals were good-to-great, audio same, screen fantastic.

But it wasn't part of a holistic device strategy, and, of course, suffered from the BB10 app deficiency. It also tends to be uncomfortable for some women to hold.

Wasn't the Passport a ML design? I love mine.

Posted via CB10
    Yes it was. Designed by an engineer for engineers. I just bought a back-up Passport SE. It's my laptop 90% of the time. I don't need a phone. I need a mobile laptop.
    05-05-16 09:18 PM
    I've listed to Mr. Chen interview on CNN Money and he was explaining the why Blackberry make phones and he was explaining the saturation of the industry. He was talking about the WHY. No I have send the video link to Mr. Chen Twitter as a friendly gesture. Now I'm wondering if Mr. Chen do read our messages or was it a lucky coincidence?
    05-11-16 08:08 AM