Ok I have spent a day with the 9700 now and 6 months with a 8320 previously and am wondering what it is about BB you guys are so attracted to? I have an open mind to different OS and still at this point can not see an advantage to BB other than the battery life to Android.

Help me understand. What i mean is tell me why the BB works better for you. I have been comparing different features and at this point am not seeing the benefit.

I have a 9700 sitting in front of me that maybe going back. I bought it because of a hard keyboard but now sitting next to my N1 and Vibrant I am challenged to see the benefit other than a great battery life and UMA.
    09-16-10 08:45 PM
    I preferred the keyboard on my Tour over the Droid 2 I have now. I could touch type on it with near 100% accuracy and very fast. Im learning the Droid 2 physical and virtual keyboards but am still slower and make more errors. Im sure that will improve with time though.

BBM is the biggest thing I miss. If you have friends with BBs, it is the most convenient way to send files up to~ 6mb although I have heard rumors they may have reduced it to~ 3mb.

I like the interface with Gmail better on android since it let's you browse through the inbox, not just what was pushed. If you have email addresses other than gmail, hotmail, and yahoo that wont push to android yet, they'll still push to bb via bis.

Other advantages to BB include minor things like auto text and a realtime spelling checker.
    09-16-10 08:56 PM
    I preferred the keyboard on my Tour over the Droid 2 I have now. I could touch type on it with near 100% accuracy and very fast. Im learning the Droid 2 physical and virtual keyboards but am still slower and make more errors. Im sure that will improve with time though.

BBM is the biggest thing I miss. If you have friends with BBs, it is the most convenient way to send files up to~ 6mb although I have heard rumors they may have reduced it to~ 3mb.

I like the interface with Gmail better on android since it let's you browse through the inbox, not just what was pushed. If you have email addresses other than gmail, hotmail, and yahoo that wont push to android yet, they'll still push to bb via bis.

Other advantages to BB include minor things like auto text and a realtime spelling checker.
    BBM I hear that alot. That seems to be a big one for BB users.
    09-16-10 09:24 PM
    I love the real keyboard and the form factor of BlackBerry. A big screen would be a plus, but neither a deal maker nor deal breaker. Although I am looking forward to getting the Torch.

My BESX server with my Exchange server is fantastic. Email, contacts & calendar synced instantly, oh yeah.

I have a Moto Droid as well as the Bold 9000 and it is not efficient for how I use a cell phone/smart phone. I cannot type with any accuracy or speed even with swipeit on the Droid. Battery life is great on the 9000.

The multimedia thing is a big fat 0 for me. If I want to stream a video, I'll use a real computer with a big A__ screen. I don't care for video or such on a phone, its not my thing. Music is funny too, I have a bunch of music on the BlackBerry in case I want to listen to something. I don't get how playing music on Android or iPhone OS is any better, it is simply playing an MP3 or such. My music player works great and it will let me make a playlist or such, so no downside there.

And all the nuances to the OS are great. Copy and paste makes sense or are easy to find. Doing things with data between apps or rather the integration is nice. To me BlackBerry and bbos just work well and efficiently for me.

Ultimately I would rather sit and have a scotch and a cigar with friends rather than be on facebook with them, so the social scene of iPhone and Android is wasted on me. When I am done with this post, I am out for a walk with my lovely wife and our dogs. Maybe we'll bump into our neighbors. Good night, I am done being social from my phone. ;-)

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    09-16-10 09:28 PM
    Ok I have spent a day with the 9700 now and 6 months with a 8320 previously and am wondering what it is about BB you guys are so attracted to? I have an open mind to different OS and still at this point can not see an advantage to BB other than the battery life to Android.

Help me understand. What i mean is tell me why the BB works better for you. I have been comparing different features and at this point am not seeing the benefit.

I have a 9700 sitting in front of me that maybe going back. I bought it because of a hard keyboard but now sitting next to my N1 and Vibrant I am challenged to see the benefit other than a great battery life and UMA.

Fast/Solid/strong/stable Operating System (this is the number 1 reason in my book)
    Use-ability
    Customization-ability (I.e. There is nothing you can't change)
    Productivity
    Intuitiveness
    Battery-life

That is just off the top of my head.

09-16-10 09:31 PM

Ultimately I would rather sit and have a scotch and a cigar with friends rather than be on facebook with them, so the social scene of iPhone and Android is wasted on me. When I am done with this post, I am out for a walk with my lovely wife and our dogs. Maybe we'll bump into our neighbors. Good night, I am done being social from my phone. ;-)

Very well said! I agree with your point!
    09-16-10 09:34 PM
    Fast/Solid/strong/stable Operating System (this is the number 1 reason in my book)
    Use-ability
    Customization-ability (I.e. There is nothing you can't change)
    Productivity
    Intuitiveness
    Battery-life

That is just off the top of my head.

Thank you!
    09-16-10 09:35 PM
    Fast and efficient communication device. Super easy to pick and read a message and fire a reply back in seconds and put it away. That is the best thing about the BlackBerry.

I'd even call it a superior browsing device. Yes, I browse on mine far more than I ever did on other phones because it's easy to launch tons of links from Twitter to Opera Mini tabs, and just gulp them down while I'm waiting in line for something. It's great for filling in the short intervals in the day. Again, speed and efficiency, and also long battery life lets me use it without worry.
    09-16-10 10:02 PM
    For me being a fairly new bb user, I don't find it intimidating. I love the physical keyboard, battery life, customizations, instant email notifications, speed, and memory, among many other things
    09-16-10 10:42 PM
    For me being a fairly new bb user, I don't find it intimidating. I love the physical keyboard, battery life, customizations, instant email notifications, speed, and memory, among many other things
    Is this because you believe these features are unique to BB or just that you like these features?
    09-16-10 10:48 PM
    I don't understand the customizations thing for the BB. You have to go with themes to change appearance, and so forth. That is a lot less convenient than android for example where you can change nearly anything you want, etc.

I would agree that BBOS could be perceived as less intimidating than android.
    09-16-10 10:56 PM
    BB has her unique features!
    Do you care to elaborate?
    09-16-10 11:11 PM
    First off I don't think blackberry is better for everyone, its better for me. I love they keyboard and use it mainly for email / text / BBM. I don't suref the web much. I may open the browser once or twice a day to look something up etc... But its mainly for what I've already said and to me the blackberry works perfect for those things. If I was on the web more maybe I'd get another device.

09-17-10 06:22 AM
    ....Help me understand. What i mean is tell me why the BB works better for you. I have been comparing different features and at this point am not seeing the benefit..
    I have LG touch screen thathaven't used since I got my blackberry which has not left my hand since I've had it. Cant really put my finger on why because on paper my LG is 'better'?

I think for me it's down to the scratch pad - i can operate my BB 10 times faster than my touch screen because it's fast and positive - in a word 'usability' - i can use it quicker/easier so i do
    09-17-10 07:18 AM
    I have BlackBerry Bold 9700 and an HTC Desire running Android 2.2, and i'd put it like this:

If you're messaging on the move, BlackBerry is unrivaled.
    For everything else, it's woefully inadequate.

D.
    09-17-10 07:23 AM
    I don't understand the customizations thing for the BB. You have to go with themes to change appearance, and so forth. That is a lot less convenient than android for example where you can change nearly anything you want, etc..
    Can you please elaborate on the customization ease of Android. I have an original Moto Droid to play with and I find customizing it rather difficult or actually I don't see where I can customize it other than ringtones and icon placement. Seriously, I am not trolling, I want to know. As stated in a few posts of mine last night, I think the Android OS and Droid are great, but I find the BB much faster and more efficient for me, so if you can point me to some customization ways on the Android OS, I would love to read about it.

Thanks
    09-17-10 10:42 AM
    Very well said! I agree with your point!
    Thanks. I think when people only communicate through social sites and services and texting, they lose the human touch of actually being a friend and spending time with people. Imagine if we had a total economic collapse and the electrical and cellular systems went offline, how would some of these people communicate person to person? I know from experience after hurricanes (south Florida life!) that when power and cells are out, you only have you to communicate, no electronic device to talk for you.....some people have a nearly impossible time coping. Sometimes turning it off is okay. ((will that get me banned from crackberry?) did I actually suggest turning off a device?)
    09-17-10 10:47 AM
    It's highly ironic that you post this.

I was Blackberry user, for a long time (8100/8310/8900/9530 up to this point.). and came to the point that the OP is in now. Why does Blackberry keep drawing the minions, what is that they crave that no other platform offers.

So i ventured out and got a Motorola Cliq, and didn't like the keyboard on it, and the battery life so i returned it and went and got a Blackberry 9700.

and it started lacking again so i bought a MyTouch3g and have been in love ever since.

So why did i quote that section of that post... pretty simple. I am a member of a local Scotch and Pipe Society, we meet once a month and talk politics, media, religion, and every person in attendance must drink the regional liquor that has been supplied but a member must smoke pipe or cigars... every month we do this. We even have our own Google Group so we can discuss this away from the meetings. and keep track of the liquors we have had.

Every Saturday i take my wife, my 10mth old daughter, and sometimes my two dogs to a local park and we just walk around and enjoy life, look at nature, take the digital SLR and snap pictures of our city and try to capture the beauty held within the city limits... ... ...

i do not use Facebook, i deleted my account about 7 months ago and haven't looked back since. And i rarely use Twitter, typically only during Cincinnati Bengals and Cincinnati Bearcat Football games....

so my question is why do you assume that every Android/Apple user is automatically thrown into the "social media group".

not knocking RIM, they make nice devices, but if they are the KING of PUSH, social media is a lot easier and quicker on Blackberry than RIM or Apple.
    Last edited by mjneid; 09-17-10 at 11:03 AM.
    09-17-10 11:01 AM
    Can you please elaborate on the customization ease of Android. I have an original Moto Droid to play with and I find customizing it rather difficult or actually I don't see where I can customize it other than ringtones and icon placement. Seriously, I am not trolling, I want to know. As stated in a few posts of mine last night, I think the Android OS and Droid are great, but I find the BB much faster and more efficient for me, so if you can point me to some customization ways on the Android OS, I would love to read about it.

Thanks
    Well, you can customize your wallpaper without having to get someone to make a theme for you. Changing icons and installing various widgets is a big part of it, none of which you can do on your bb without themes.

I guess I've not tried to mess with much else yet but at least the basics are easier to change than they are on a BB IMO.
    09-17-10 01:23 PM
    Well, you can customize your wallpaper without having to get someone to make a theme for you. Changing icons and installing various widgets is a big part of it, none of which you can do on your bb without themes.

I guess I've not tried to mess with much else yet but at least the basics are easier to change than they are on a BB IMO.
    Oh, the wallpaper is not a big deal, any picture you have on a BB, you can set it as a wallpaper, no need for a theme to do that. All adjustments on a BB are through the options menu that is conveniently listed in alphabetical order, as I recall the Android OS lists them in some grouping in a seemingly random order, kind of bugs me.

Thanks for the pointers though.
    09-17-10 07:14 PM

so my question is why do you assume that every Android/Apple user is automatically thrown into the "social media group".
    I say that, as that is one of the first listed and most often mentioned "features" of the iPhone and Android based phones. The ads usually make a big deal of being socially connected. That was my reason for the comment.
    09-17-10 07:24 PM
    Thanks for the comments!

After trying to acces this website on my 9700 and practically needing a magnifying glass to read text on the BB screen I have returned it. Yes I could enlarge the text but then have to scroll to read all the text, no thanks.

Save the "don't let the door hit you on the way out" comments please.
    09-17-10 07:26 PM
    Blackberry is better because "I" think it's better.
    That's all that matters.
    09-17-10 07:27 PM
    Oh, the wallpaper is not a big deal, any picture you have on a BB, you can set it as a wallpaper, no need for a theme to do that. All adjustments on a BB are through the options menu that is conveniently listed in alphabetical order, as I recall the Android OS lists them in some grouping in a seemingly random order, kind of bugs me.

Thanks for the pointers though.
    You're correct about the wallpaper on the home screen. But to change the background on the screen with all of the icons, you can't change that without a theme that I ever found. To me that was significant.
    09-17-10 07:30 PM
    I say that, as that is one of the first listed and most often mentioned "features" of the iPhone and Android based phones. The ads usually make a big deal of being socially connected. That was my reason for the comment.
    I understand where you are coming from. But stereotypes fall into every fashion of life. They advertise that just like RIM advertised BBM/ a beefed up SMS during the VMAs. Its all tatics.

09-17-10 07:54 PM
27 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD