You can't compare any apps to ps3 games because they are smaller, shower versions.

For those saying you're out of your mind for wanting apps to be free, I want them to be cheaper.

And to those saying you can't afford the device, apps are add ons whereas the device is a one off payment. Someone could afford a ferari but not be able to purchase extra parts

Not to mention some costing apps are android ports that work horribly on a bb
    Here lies the flaw in your argument. Owning a Ferrari is not a need. It's a luxury. If you intend to own an estate, you can't complain about hiring a butler, gardener and maids are way too expensive, because if you were to live in some third world country, they probably cause next to nothing.
    Sure owning a Z10 is less luxury than owning a Ferrari, by cell phone standard it's still a luxury to maintain. Accessories, data plan, games and apps. Just because everyone has it, does not mean you should have it even if you cant afford to maintain it. We are not talking about the basic of economy like food, shelter and clothing here. Let's keep some perspective and reality check.
    03-31-13 07:24 AM
    Hmmmm.....prob cause its not a native app!!!
    03-31-13 07:25 AM
    I would doubt many people are complaining about the cost of apps per se, they aren't expensive for the reasons people say. But the cost relative to other platforms is a legitimate gripe. There may well be reasons for it, such as a smaller user base and simply that the market bears higher prices, but it doesn't mean people have to be happy about it, nor that they are wrong to feel a bit ripped off. In many cases we aren't talking about a few pence, but a huge differential. If an Angry Birds is 69p. on iOS or Android, but �3.50 on BB, that's not a modest difference. Nor is it about not being able to afford it. In my case, I accept there is likely to be a premium, but I exercise my right to view such a major difference as ripping me off and thus I refuse to buy. Trying to justify it by saying that developers need an income is a specious argument. I am well aware of that, I have to the same in my business too.
    ihys likes this.
    03-31-13 07:43 AM
    So what do you think of the people who side load apps? Does that help the developers? I hear a lots of ppl on cb tell ppl to just side load apps. I'm pretty sure that doesn't help the developer in any way. Are those ppl wrong for advising to do that?
    Sideloading itself is just a tool and how it's being used is the issue but in general it's shady. Sideloading hurts some developers. Sideloading obviously presents an opportunity to steal software which is totally crappy. Some developers might enjoy the extra installs because they use ads as a revenue model. Using sideloaded applications may have side effects for the developer that a sideloading user might not realize, like hidden costs for the developer.

Anyone advising people that people steal from developers is a *****. When times were tougher for me, I worked 14 hour days and had a canned tuna diet while I scraped out a living. Meanwhile, I found a website delivering my work with a counter showing how many people accessed it. I'm happy that I got to the point where users actually want to steal my creations, but obviously it sucks. Most developers, like most business people, know their work may be stolen but we've factored in the fact that the scum of the Earth may like our products.

So many people in the YouTube generation thinks music should be free, software should be free and "screw the man/corporations" that make money from digital content. The attitude is so immature and narrow minded. Young people will spend $50 at the bar on a weekend, but can't pay $2.99 for an app? It's so dumb. Just pay and support the platform that you want to succeed.
    03-31-13 08:46 AM
    I actually got this phone for free with a three year contract. It just so happen I wanted to see the phone on launch day and they said since it wasn't available they gave me a 50 dollar voucher off. And when I came back next week they had another offering of 50 dollars off if you brought in your old cdma phone. And there were 2 of those one from my provider and one from bb. So in total it basically gave me the phone free. Now my contract was up and my last phone on 3 years contract was a BlackBerry Curve and was 0 dollars. I actually just started to hate that phone so much and was relieved when my contract was up

So on making my decision they had note 2 @ 49 dollars sg3 for 0 and I phone 5 at 99 dollars all on a 3 year contract. I had a coworker who tried to get me to join his note 2 bandwagon and the stuff he was showing me were pretty darn impressive like he had a torrent client on it! But I wanted to support bb and wanted to try out this new Os. So if I didn't have those deals I prob wouldn't have gotten the z10. Don't get me wrong I love my z10. Just kinda wish apps in general were free. I do know some apps are worth the money and yeah if I had money I would pay for it. Having said that, I don't really use much apps but if they came free I wouldn't hesitate to try them. I'm sure you wouldn't mind that either as is the case for most ppl who like free stuff.

Posted via CB10
    Phones are never free. You are still paying your carrier approximately $16 a month for you Z10 on a 3 year contract. Why would you begrudge a developer their livelihood when you are already willing to pay so much for a phone in your contract.

Posted via CB10
    03-31-13 08:47 AM
    [QUOTE=Banco;8231687 Trying to justify it by saying that developers need an income is a specious argument. I am well aware of that, I have to the same in my business too.[/QUOTE]

On BlackBerry World, having an application outside of the top 25-50 apps would not generally not generate enough revenue if the price is $.99. Even at $.99, unless you are in the top ten apps you will probably lose money. If you had four apps in the top 100 at $2.99 each, you would probably have decent income. If you had three apps in the top 100, you may break around even.
    03-31-13 08:57 AM
    Developers make money on ads in other platforms. There are more users on Iphones and Androids so the ad revenue adds up. BlackBerry has a smaller user base, hence they need to charge to make some money. At least that's one reason.

Ok, then explain me the difference between prices for wp8 phone and blackberry phones....

Posted via CB10
    ihys likes this.
    03-31-13 09:47 AM
    Enough already with the ones saying it's not expensive compared to there cup of coffee or the so often used "It worth it ".
    I left iMore because of that stupid sentence alone!!
    Seems like a lot of folks are thinking that those who complain about the price are poor. NO!
    I bought a Mercedes of 65 grand last year because it offered more features than the equivalent at bmw, not because. I'm able to buy a condo out of the island of Montreal because i can sell my current one on the island and still buy one with more rooms, indoor parking, a jacuzzi, elevator and still have money from the sell of my current condo!

It's not being cheap, it's rational. For a company trying to sweep the cheese from other platforms, blackberry should offer COMPETITIVE prices for apps.
    Many of bb users are
    People from emerging countries who didn't bought an Iphone because it's over priced for what it does (personal opinion here i will agree)

So i bought a z10 because of the options that suits me more than other platforms right : why should i pay more for the apps that the other platforms have?

Logically one would expect that now day, as apps are a very large percentage of the reasons why some choose a platform of the other , that people will also consider the expenses for apps in the balance when buying a smartphone, no?

Well, when i bought the z10 i didn't have the current information as of app pricing. Would i consider my choice for that reason alone? No, because PERSONALLY I don't use that many apps and for those i really use, they are mostly free. That said, i perfectly understand that for someone coming to this new os with a new phone and who have all his apps he already paid (ecosystem investment) having to pay more to build his apps luggage with the new platform is not a big deal for him. Think about it and please folks don't go into the so annoying "Well, i can afford it so it's not too much " there's a lot of things i can afford that YOU Can't and a lot of things some can afford that i can't. At the end it's getting the best deal that will make a consumer choose from one product for another.

Coming back on my car : 5 years ago when the maintenance prices were a lot more expensive with benz, i choosed a lexus that cost me more at first but because the parts and maintenance are from Toyota, at the end i was a winner when looking at overall operating costs of my car.

Posted via CB10
    ihys likes this.
    03-31-13 10:28 AM
    Enough already with the ones saying it's not expensive compared to there cup of coffee or the so often used "It worth it ".
    It's not expensive compared to their cup of coffee.

Posted via CB10
    03-31-13 10:37 AM
    As others have mentioned, to all those complaining about app prices, the option to buy or not to buy them is totally in your hands. They are not a necessity in the grand scheme of things, but a luxury.

If you are going to buy a smartphone, it is a given that the paid apps will cost anywhere between 99 cents and a few bucks. It might be too expensive for you and you are entitled to your opinion.

But for others like me who want to see more developers creating their apps on the BB10 platform, it is a small amount to pay in the grand scheme of things.

I want these developers to do well and make a profit as it will do 2 critical things for our young platform. It will encourage those developers to create more apps and it will encourage other developers to come on board and start creating apps for our platform.

Posted via CB10 from my spectacular Z10
    03-31-13 10:59 AM
    I left iMore because of that stupid sentence alone!!
    Seems like a lot of folks are thinking that those who complain about the price are poor. NO!
    I bought a Mercedes of 65 grand last year because it offered more features than the equivalent at bmw, not because. I'm able to buy a condo out of the island of Montreal because i can sell my current one on the island and still buy one with more rooms, indoor parking, a jacuzzi, elevator and still have money from the sell of my current condo!

It's not being cheap, it's rational. For a company trying to sweep the cheese from other platforms, blackberry should offer COMPETITIVE prices for apps.
    Many of bb users are
    People from emerging countries who didn't bought an Iphone because it's over priced for what it does (personal opinion here i will agree)

So i bought a z10 because of the options that suits me more than other platforms right : why should i pay more for the apps that the other platforms have?

Logically one would expect that now day, as apps are a very large percentage of the reasons why some choose a platform of the other , that people will also consider the expenses for apps in the balance when buying a smartphone, no?

Well, when i bought the z10 i didn't have the current information as of app pricing. Would i consider my choice for that reason alone? No, because PERSONALLY I don't use that many apps and for those i really use, they are mostly free. That said, i perfectly understand that for someone coming to this new os with a new phone and who have all his apps he already paid (ecosystem investment) having to pay more to build his apps luggage with the new platform is not a big deal for him. Think about it and please folks don't go into the so annoying "Well, i can afford it so it's not too much " there's a lot of things i can afford that YOU Can't and a lot of things some can afford that i can't. At the end it's getting the best deal that will make a consumer choose from one product for another.

Coming back on my car : 5 years ago when the maintenance prices were a lot more expensive with benz, i choosed a lexus that cost me more at first but because the parts and maintenance are from Toyota, at the end i was a winner when looking at overall operating costs of my car.

Posted via CB10
    I could afford a house in Nunavut but I choose to stay in Toronto. It's a choice. In life you pick and choose what work best for you. You are not going to get everything. No difference from getting a phone like Z10. You get the good with the bad. It's how you want to live with it. You can biatch and moan about it all day long or you can enjoy the heck out of it. Glass is either half full or half empty. The physical materials that you own do not change. It's the state of your mind and emotion.
    03-31-13 11:42 AM
    Why are blackberry applications so expensive?

For example, (using playbook app world prices) monopoly 5 pounds
    Angry birds 2-5 quid, and a tonne of games that are about 1.50-2.00

Why is this?
    Because currently they are on the wrong side of supply and demand.....
    ...To few people want to put in the time to make good Apps for the platform.
    03-31-13 12:07 PM
    As others have mentioned, to all those complaining about app prices, the option to buy or not to buy them is totally in your hands. They are not a necessity in the grand scheme of things, but a luxury.

If you are going to buy a smartphone, it is a given that the paid apps will cost anywhere between 99 cents and a few bucks. It might be too expensive for you and you are entitled to your opinion.

But for others like me who want to see more developers creating their apps on the BB10 platform, it is a small amount to pay in the grand scheme of things.

I want these developers to do well and make a profit as it will do 2 critical things for our young platform. It will encourage those developers to create more apps and it will encourage other developers to come on board and start creating apps for our platform.

Have you heard the saying loosely quoted "if you build it, they will come" We need to build the userbase up first before they come.
    As of right now developers aren't going to come just because they get to charge a higher price per app because of the smaller user base. How many people do you actually think will buy that app at said higher price? probably a very small amount. So z10 has 1 million user give or take. Ideally if everyone bought an app at 2.99 yeah they wold make a profit but realistically how many people would actually buy that app? maybe 1 percent? depending on the app?

Having said that developers will be more likely to develop apps onto the platform is said userbase was like ios or android. lets say each platform has 50 million users. A developer could charge a penny and if even half the ppl bought it they would make a profit more easier then trying to sell to a userbase of 1 million at a price of 2.99

Essentially we want more people on the platform right now, what lures people at this moment is cheaper to free apps. its like a weird kind of cat and mouse game. people want to come if there's lots of good and cheap apps, but developers will only want to come if theres a big user base so one or the other has to come first before the other follows.. Right now blackberry doesn't have either, if you sorta understand what i mean. I believe we have to make the userbase grow first then the developers will come. So a lot of the people on CB who bash ppl and tell them to eff off and go buy another phone isnt really helping bb at all. Ppl want to vent their frustration or seek our remedies dont give this take it or leave it attitude.. not helpful.
    Araslan likes this.
    03-31-13 12:18 PM

That's exactly my point : to support the bb10 and as an incitative for the developers, the best way is to come closer to the amount of users in the other platforms. To do so we need people to jump in. My main point is that the discrepancy with the apps prices from a platform to another will not help us getting more users therefore will not make the user base grown witch will eventually discourage developers to jump in. My opinion is that developers who are selling there apps cheaper on ios/android/wp8 are shooting themselves in the feet. What is better? 1million user x 2.99 $ or 10 millions users X 0.99$?

Posted via CB10
    03-31-13 04:48 PM
    I honestly don't get why people are complaining about this. the apps are not that expensive.
    do you enjoy good apps ?then support the devs !!!! so they can make better apps
    .and who knows when they feel they have enough support they might make a really good free app.

or just save and budget your money better either way
    03-31-13 05:51 PM
    I honestly don't get why people are complaining about this. the apps are not that expensive.
    For Westerners I believe the prices are more than affordable. Outside of the West, the prices are a bigger concern and I respect that.

Posted via CB10
    03-31-13 07:11 PM
    For Westerners I believe the prices are more than affordable. Outside of the West, the prices are a bigger concern and I respect that.

Posted via CB10
    oh I never thought of it in that context. I was being a tad narrow mindedit seems
    03-31-13 07:20 PM
    It's annoying. I was looking forward to downloading the mlb at bat app, that was until I saw the 20 dollar price tag.

Posted via CB10
    I was going back and forth on whether I was going to purchase the app, but in the end, I probably will. I enjoy mlb too much.

Posted via CB10
    03-31-13 09:39 PM
    I don't think anyone has to justify why apps cost money. That's pretty obvious.

I haven't seen a single good response as to why they cost MORE vs ios and android.
    ihys likes this.
    03-31-13 11:39 PM
    I don't think anyone has to justify why apps cost money. That's pretty obvious.

I haven't seen a single good response as to why they cost MORE vs ios and android.
    Probably because there isn't one reason for all devs.

When I worked at AT&T (business customer service), the no-commitment price on a HTC Tilt was over $1000. In the store, it was $600. Same company, different prices! Why? Because they felt the business customers would pay those prices vs. a regular consumer at a store.

Some devs may feel that on the other platforms, they can still make profits by charging a lower rate vs. other platforms that may not have as much of a user base.

Others may think the development costs are more on certain platforms... Windows Phone and BlackBerry being perfect examples.

On iOS and Android, the market is saturated with apps that do the same... only way to combat is by lowering prices. Consumers will go for the lower price.
    03-31-13 11:50 PM
    Supply and demand is all you need to know to understand why they cost more.

Is supply and demand a difficult concept?

Posted via CB10
    Prince_Poppycock likes this.
    04-01-13 06:46 AM
    I decided to look at some of the popular apps and games:

Need for Speed - BB10 $2.99 - Android $2.99
    Bejeweled 2 - BB10 $2.99 - Android $2.99
    MLB At Bat - BB10 Free Download ($19.99) - Android Free Download ($19.99)
    Splashtop Remote HD - BB10 $6.99 - Android $8.99
    TuneIn Radio Pro - BB10 $4.99 - Android $4.99
    04-01-13 10:08 AM

Posted via CB10
    The point is bb have little demand, cheaper apps will increase both there user base and demand
    04-01-13 10:19 AM

Posted via CB10
    must be difficult because it clearly shows you don't understand it at all.

less supply, more demand = cost more

how does that concept applies to apps in bb10? the demand for the phone is low compare to ios or android.
    ihys likes this.
    04-01-13 10:29 AM

Posted via CB10
    Do you know how supply and demand works? It's a little different with software. Unlike let's say oil there is only a finite amount that is processed. When demand is high since there is only so much of it, the price goes higher. If demand is low and there is an abundant supply price is cheaper. Now with apps there's no physical limit there's not like100 apps they can only let ppl have. It's infinite.

There goal is to break even and make a profit. And to do that they have to first find that sweet price where most ppl will buy it at. And pricing it high isn't going to have the most amount of ppl to buy it. If you have taken economics you will notice that the supply and demand graph will show you how many ppl will buy at certain prices. You could even do the math of the supply and demand and it will show you. Even if demand was so high and you priced it ridiculousy not a lot of ppl will buy it. You price it low you will get the most amount of ppl to buy.

Now what were trying to wonder is why do the developers who made apps on other platform charge a lot more on the BlackBerry platform? Maybe was it because BlackBerry told the developers that ppl aren't going to complain about the price and they can charge whatever they like cause ppl will just say sure, its worth it and not realize that their being ripped off if said developer made the same app on another platform for cheaper?

I guess some ppl go to the car dealerships and just pay full price they first see. And not realized if they shopped around a bit, said same car was cheaper at another dealership

Posted via CB10
    04-01-13 10:32 AM
101 ... 2345