I bought a Motorola Q 9c from Sprint last month, but the sound quality on that particular model was so poor I wanted to trade it in within a week. I opted instead for the Curve (8330), and have one question:

Why BlackBerry?

I understand the Push email - I love it. But the Moto could be set to pull every five minutes, if that's what I wanted. And the Moto email supports html.

On the Moto, I could download the full Opera browser and read web pages as if from a desktop. On the BlackBerry, I can only (I think) look at web pages as if from a mobile device. - If there is a way for me to pretend like I'm a desktop from the BlackBerry, I'm all ears.

With the Moto, I can view streaming (and non-streaming) Windows Media. Can't do it with the BlackBerry.

The Moto allows me to view and edit Word, Excel, etc., documents. The BlackBerry only lets me view them.

I can switch between applications on both devices. But if I'm done, and want to kill all the apps, the Moto has a task manager which lets me "kill all," while the BlackBerry makes me open and close each app individually.

And why am I always pulling my battery? It feels like the Blue Screen of Death for which Windows is always ridiculed, but its on a non-Windows device.

Maybe I haven't figured out all the tricks on the BlackBerry. But after a month of usage, although I do love most of the features, I still have to ask:

Why BlackBerry?
    06-15-08 01:58 AM
    if you have to ask, maybe blackberry isnt for you. lol
    06-15-08 02:32 AM
    Because it isn't Windows Mobile LOL
    06-15-08 02:45 AM
    What are you doing that you have to keep pulling the battery? Seriously. I pulled mine 3 days ago - to put in a new spare battery and charge it up. My BB doesn't need battery pulls / resets on any kind of frequent basis. If yours does, I suggest there might be something wrong with it

There are a few people haunting this forum who claim BBs constantly need to have their batteries pulled just to function. They're mythtaken.
    Last edited by Arninetyes; 06-15-08 at 03:06 AM.
    06-15-08 02:58 AM
    I personally went with BB because there are really only 3 choices in smartphones. BB, MS, and palm. I already own a palm T5 and despise MS's business practices and such. That left BB. But not only that, BB seems to me to really know how to make smartphones.

I think most of the things you pointed out are addressed in OS 4.5 which should be made available to most everyone in 4-6 weeks since it has been released to carriers.

I don't do email so I can't offer any reply on that. Opera mini by default will load full pages like seen on a pc unless that site auto detects mobile browser and then you get the mobile optimized version by default.

Closing apps is much the same as windows. If you don't exit the app it will stay open. So if you are not going to want to keep the app running remember to hit the menu button and choose exit/close instead of using back or end call buttons which basically is like minimizing the app.

My guess if you are having to pull the battery your doing something bad. You can reboot BB with a key combo for memory optimization and after software removal if the option is not presented to you.

I certainly don't think battery pulls are like the BSOD from older version of windows. I think you will find that people experimenting with beta software are going to be experiencing that. I may not have enough info on this matter but it is my impression that BBs are very stable.

I seems you are very used to how other devices handle and for a bit of your post maybe getting a feel for your BB is all that is needed. I know it took me 4 or 5 days to get used to the feel of using BB coming from palm OS.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    06-15-08 03:03 AM
    I appreciate the replies. Regarding the battery pull, maybe "always" was an exaggeration. One day I had no service whatsoever. I couldn't call out or access the internet. My friend with the same carrier had no problems. I checked online and found that the solution would be a battery pull. Seemed silly to me that such a thing would be required, but I did it and it worked. I pulled the battery another time when I was buzzed as if a message came to me, but none of the messenger services showed a message. The blinking red led was driving me nuts.

I agree that I need to familiarize myself with the BB. I do hope that OS 4.5 will address some of these issues.

I still prefer not to have to go to the menu to close each app. I'd like to be able to escape, go back, switch between apps, then kill all when my session is done.
    Last edited by diarmait; 06-15-08 at 03:27 AM.
    06-15-08 03:24 AM
    Each OS has its good points and bad. I used DOS for years before switching to Windows. Now, after living through Windows 3.0 to Vista, I can honestly say I'm very VERY tired of Windows in all its iterations.

I use Linux when I can, Windows when I have to, and Mac the rest of the time.

My biggest reason for selecting a Berry over a Q was Windows mobile. No thanks. I'm not saying it doesn't do some things better than BB, but I've had it with Windows. As for the iPhone, it's gorgeous, but it's a touchscreen, and it's only on ATT.

After selecting the Berry, I'm surprised how much I'm enjoying it. If you don't like yours, maybe it's the wrong device for you.
    06-15-08 04:03 AM
    I wonder if there is a 3rd party app solution for closing all apps at once. I close apps as soon as I am done with them to save from using up the battery more than need be. But I can see if one were to need to switch between 3 or more apps before closing them them a shortcut to close all at once would be handy.

Was it just the one time you had to do a batery pull? I generally don't like to jump to conclusions but if you've had it for a short time and are having too much trouble with it out of the box it's possible that you could have gotten adefective phone. But without knowing all that has occured since you got the phone it's anyones guess.

Good thing is practically everywhere you can exchange or return within 30 days so if its not a defective phone and you find you don't really like it by then you can always return it and go for a different model or brand.

06-15-08 11:02 AM
    Or look at it this way "Why NOT Blackberry?" One out of two smartphones sold is a blackberry. Thats gotta say something.
    06-15-08 11:06 AM
    BB is good for many reasons...and alot of the things that you can't do on your BB now, you will be able to do when the Bold comes out!!
    06-15-08 11:12 AM
    if you have to ask, maybe blackberry isnt for you. lol
    Good reply! I WILL remember that one. Beats a detailed explination that they don't understand anyway/
    06-15-08 01:40 PM
    I don't pull my battery that often, and I'm on a beta os. My palm TX, now THAT was a lot of resetting! On the rare occasion I do need a bat put, I just do the key combo and that is much better than taking the battery out. Sorry it didn't work out

06-15-08 02:19 PM
    Good reply! I WILL remember that one. Beats a detailed explination that they don't understand anyway/

Thanks for the vote of confidence, John.
    06-16-08 01:27 AM
    Was it just the one time you had to do a batery pull? I generally don't like to jump to conclusions but if you've had it for a short time and are having too much trouble with it out of the box it's possible that you could have gotten adefective phone. But without knowing all that has occured since you got the phone it's anyones guess.
    I pulled the batt. twice because of something odd happening. Maybe I didn't need to do so. But, based on solutions I found browsing CB, I determined the batt. pull was the answer.

I don't think the phone is defective. I'd just like to see some improvements in some areas.
    06-16-08 01:29 AM
    Why BlackBerry?

Better then all the rest...
    06-16-08 01:30 AM
    I dont pull my battery often either, I do the soft reset key combo, but to answer the OP, Ive had a treo for years and it just wasnt working out well for my business needs. The email ability is what I needed and will all the email on my treo it seemed to bog it down. I have an 8700 now and just bought the 8310 bc I missed the camera ability too much. I thought I would miss my touchscreen but I dont at all. Now my biggest worry with the upgrade is losing my trackwheel. To each their own, I say go with what works best for what you need.

The treo I had was running win/mo and was great for games and such but that wasnt what I needed. Blackberry serves all my needs. Good luck with whatever you choose.
    06-16-08 01:32 AM
    I pulled the batt. twice because of something odd happening. Maybe I didn't need to do so. But, based on solutions I found browsing CB, I determined the batt. pull was the answer.

I don't think the phone is defective. I'd just like to see some improvements in some areas.
    With the hotkey combo for restarting the device I would think that there would be no need to pull the battery unless the device is locked up or can't respond to the hotkey use. Think of it as restarting your pc. Somethings are going to require you to restart and on rare occations you may need to restart to clear up an error caused by an app or something. With having only pulled the battery twice I am guessing then that its just a matter of getting used to the OS and software you have and can get to do what you want with it.

Looking at the latest news on the front page of crackberry I seen an app you can buy that allows customizing notification for SMS assigning different ones based on who sent the SMS which just recently was a question asked in the forums. Its kind of neat to see an app come out offer the very thing that was asked for and much more so soon after. I guess developers have a pretty good idea of what it is people want even before someone gets around to asking about it here. I'm still familiarizing myself with all the apps out there so I wouldn't be surprised if there are many 3rd party apps that will provide whatever it is you want to do with your BB. And if there isn't something for it I wouldn't be surprised if its in the works after seeing the notification app today.
    06-16-08 07:31 AM
    Or look at it this way "Why NOT Blackberry?" One out of two smartphones sold is a blackberry. Thats gotta say something.
    is that true?.... if it is I am sure its only for the states. Because I know lots of people around the world who own smart phones but only 10 or 15 that own blackberries.

I agree with all the points made... except the battery pulling... but blackberries are rather slow.

The only reason I got a blackberry was because my provider only provides data plans for bb's. Otherwise I would not give up the features "diarmait" mentioned plus more like Live mobile TV, video calling and so on. Now I have to carry 2 phones. I am not to crazy about Windows phones however. Nokia is still the way to go in my mind.

I like my blackberry a lot... but at the end of the day it is lagging compared to other smart phones on the market. In the rest of the world at least..... not the states.
    06-16-08 07:58 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD