Why, tell me, wyhy, BBM is so unpopular, here in Central Europe. I live in Poland. I'm very often buissnes traveler an have over 500 contacts (90% buisness partners) in my phonebook... 5 of them are using BBM (1 is my fiancee ).

So tell me why?

PS... oh God, topic should be ... in Central Europe
    Last edited by pokmijn; 06-08-14 at 07:36 AM. Reason: wrong topic :)
    Pawel62 likes this.
    06-08-14 07:33 AM
    I bet if you texted all your contacts that bbm is available on cross platform and a add me request, you would get a few more.
    Add it to your email signature.

Just 2 ideas.
    johnm137 likes this.
    06-08-14 07:39 AM
    Most people probably use WhatsApp instead
    06-08-14 07:41 AM
    Unfortunate but true
    06-08-14 07:42 AM
    Yeah... i had whatsapp once, nothing special...
    pystha likes this.
    06-08-14 08:04 AM
    I think Facebook messenger is more or less taking over and if not that it's wharsapp or viber.

I suppose there is never really going to be a "why" with a simple answer, you use what most of your friends use and Facebook use drove everyone to be available on Facebook messenger.
    06-08-14 08:09 AM
    Why, tell me, wyhy, BBM is so unpopular, here in Central Europe. I live in Poland. I'm very often buissnes traveler an have over 500 contacts (90% buisness partners) in my phonebook... 5 of them are using BBM (1 is my fiancee ).

So tell me why?

Because you got bigger and better cross platform clients fb messenger has free calling and video calling and you can transfer fileslll of this.isn't.available on anything other then.a bbry
    Plus fb has 100s of millions of users vs bbm it counted 50m last I checked

Posted via CrackBerry App
    06-08-14 08:27 AM
    I think the reason is just that most people use whatsapp, so there's basically no need to install any other messenger. I have 18 contacts on BBM and most of them are also using whatsapp.

The thing is that I wouldn't urge someone, especially not a business partner, to use BBM if we both have whatsapp installed. I might ask him if he's on BBM and might give some information about it but that's it. I'm not a BlackBerry marketing person.
    06-08-14 09:04 AM
    Because people don't like to remember which contact is using what. I also have about 100 whatsapp contacts and only 5 BBM contacts.

Usually if I need to send someone a mesage the order of priorities is:
    1. whatapp
    2. FB messenger
    3. SMS
    06-08-14 09:25 AM
    Yea whatsapp is the big shot over here.. it kinda sucks to leave it after using it for years! On the other side, whatsapp keeps crashing way more last few weeks. Annoying as hell if you need to send something

Posted via CB10
    06-08-14 06:36 PM
    W Polsce bardzo dużo ludzi nigdy nie słyszało o BlackBerry a co dopiero o BBM. Mieszkam w Kanadzie i wszyscy moi znajomi z Polski o BBM dowiedzieli się ode mnie. To trochę wymowne jest ale też jestem bardzo zdziwiony że BlackBerry jako marka jest tak słabo rozpoznawalna.
    06-09-14 06:54 PM
    W Polsce bardzo dużo ludzi nigdy nie słyszało o BlackBerry a co dopiero o BBM. Mieszkam w Kanadzie i wszyscy moi znajomi z Polski o BBM dowiedzieli się ode mnie. To trochę wymowne jest ale też jestem bardzo zdziwiony że BlackBerry jako marka jest tak słabo rozpoznawalna.
    Yeah, it's weird no one I know in Poland uses bbm. I'm heading there this summer and so we'll see if I catch a glimpse of any BlackBerry 10s in action.

From my z30
    06-10-14 07:51 AM

So tell me why?

Because you got bigger and better cross platform clients fb messenger has free calling and video calling and you can transfer fileslll of this.isn't.available on anything other then.a bbry
    Plus fb has 100s of millions of users vs bbm it counted 50m last I checked

Posted via CrackBerry App
    Last I checked, Whatsapp was far bigger in Europe, than FB or BBM.

Personally, I'd say that BlackBerry just came to late to a market, in which whatsapp had 3 or 4 years to flourish.

Posted via CB10
    06-10-14 10:18 AM
    Last I checked, Whatsapp was far bigger in Europe, than FB or BBM.

Personally, I'd say that BlackBerry just came to late to a market, in which whatsapp had 3 or 4 years to flourish.

Posted via CB10
    BB's story in life. brings good things to the party, when the party is almost over.
    06-11-14 03:29 AM
    I'm from France and it's really hard to make people change for bbm.
    In France all sms are free since many years, so it's the 1st choice for everyone.
    Facebook and whatsapp already have all the consumers...

Bbm video for everyone, and bbm on windowsphone (for my girlfriend) are really necessary for bring more consumers on our message app

Posted via CB10
    06-11-14 03:40 AM
    BB's story in life. brings good things to the party, when the party is almost over.
    As far as I know, there were plans for BBMx for a long time, but they decided to keep it exclusive to sell it as a USP when someone buys a BB.

The obvious problem was, that they got the memo a little bit too late that their image and market share is totally tanking...

I'm from France and it's really hard to make people change for bbm.
    In France all sms are free since many years, so it's the 1st choice for everyone.
    Facebook and whatsapp already have all the consumers...

Bbm video for everyone, and bbm on windowsphone (for my girlfriend) are really necessary for bring more consumers on our message app

Posted via CB10
    Haha, I'm from Switzerland and I lived some time in France. Also in Germany.

In all of those countries and a lot of others I know, SMS are basically totally free and included in the package you get with your contract.
    IIRC I paid 50 Euro back in the day, for 2000 sms, 2000 Minutes used for calls to numbers from my own carrier, 2000 minutes for calls to other carriers and 1GB of data.

Most "normal" consumers, are perfectly happy with 1000/2000 messages a month.
    It's also the traditional way to have written conversations via phone.
    That's a good point to make actually and one that I didn't even mention in my other reply.
    Thanks for bringing that up.

Posted via CB10
    06-11-14 04:54 AM
    Posted from my flagship Z30 10.2.1.3175/3140
    06-11-14 06:41 AM
    BBM? What is that I'm more concerned you can no longer download MSN Messenger.

Posted via CB10
    06-14-14 06:39 AM
    I live in Italy and everybody here uses Whatsapp.

Whatsapp links to telephone number so it's a simple choice, once you've got number you can also chat with WA. No need to ask for PINs and no need any invitation...

Once you install WA you can start to chat to friends...

I try to make BBM known to friends but there's not too much advantage if you have an iPhone: no videochat, no screen sharing... so they prefer and stick to WA...
    06-14-14 07:48 AM
    Historical.

Back when BBM was a big thing in some parts of the world; In Europe we were perfectly happy with SMS, which, for all its limitations, is a universal standard in all GSM phones, and as such goes along with your phone number, can be received by anybody, and does not require any additional software -- This is still the case for the most part, as far as I can tell, with messaging apps being used more in group contexts.

As far as I understand; Circumstances around tech standards and operator pricing, in the Americas, is what allowed special messaging services to fill a void, that SMS covered elsewhere.

(EDIT: ...and given this; BB has had very little presence here, as a whole, and consequenty; For all the time that BBM has been around, it is in practice a late comer to the party here, where it has never been needed, and others have had time to go before it, without any proprietary baggage.)
    06-14-14 08:12 AM