By usage times, do you mean battery life?
    Yes - with HEAVY use (as in sitting on my 'Berry constantly), I can get a SOLID five-ish hours before my smartphone hits 50%... As opposed to even the best Android-powered smartphones, which will hit 50% in about two hours.

Put another way, I can get a full day of heavy use outta my 'Berry, or 2-3 days under "typical" usage...
    11-25-12 12:34 AM
    Mail arrives on my iPhone and Skyrocket at almost the same exact second as my BB. My life is not so fast paced that I take issue with waiting a nanosecond for an email on a nonBB device.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Sometimes there is a half an hour difference in mail arriving on my 9900 and my Lumia 900. I don't know why this is so as my PB nearly always gets the mail before my 9900 and the PB is on activesync.
    Half an hour is huge. At times my employee would mail stuff from a vendor's factory for me to take a decision and half an hour would be a huge time for him to wait and give the go ahead to the vendor.
    11-25-12 12:39 AM
    I hate to say, but I think E92Vancouver is kinda right, for BlackBerry to be the best mobile email device, we (non-enterprise users) need;
    -Multi-device sync, folders and all. Either Active-Sync or if RIM had available an email service that would itself be able to sync, then we could forward other e-mail to it.
    -Full HTML email. It looks like this may happen with BB10,as one of the videos shows the message editor with a rich text toolbar at the top.
    what is so important or great to be the best mobile email device?
    heck... how many people actually buy a product because they want their device to do email EXACTLY like how they use it on a pc.

my whole family bought Samsung.
    why? because they want video calls. doesn't matter if it's through line or wifi.
    because they want to be on social media.
    the keyword is social media. it doesn't matter if its because of Facebook, twitter, skype or instagram. but to say rim will defunct because of email is just over the top.

9out10 smartphone in my family is a Samsung except mine. and NONE bought their android device because of security or email (to say the least).

and seriously? u guys thought email is the make or break of a product? get real.
    if u want a product to be successful, give what the MAJORITY WANTS.
    the rest are just bonus.

Sent from my unsliding slider BlackBerry 9800 using Tapatalk
    11-25-12 12:47 AM
    since you all seem to know a lot about this, i'll just ask again:

will we still get our emails almost immediately on BB 10 like we do on our blackberries right now?
    or will our new emails arrive every 5-15mins?
    If you currently get your emails instantly on BB7, you will get them instantly on BB10. No need to worry.
    11-25-12 12:50 AM
    heck... how many people actually buy a product because they want their device to do email EXACTLY like how they use it on a pc.

why? because they want video calls. doesn't matter if it's through line or wifi.
    the keyword is social media. it doesn't matter if its because of Facebook, twitter, skype or instagram. but to say rim will defunct because of email is just over the top.

9out10 smartphone in my family is a Samsung except mine. and NONE bought their android device because of security or email (to say the least).

and seriously? u guys thought email is the make or break of a product? get real.
    the rest are just bonus.

The Majority Wants email, which is why they didnt buy Samsung for video calling.
    11-25-12 12:50 AM
    your drunk, go home

Sent from my BlackBerry 9780 using Tapatalk
    11-25-12 01:11 AM
    The Majority Wants email, which is why they didnt buy Samsung for video calling.
    that explains the increase of sales for androids and iphones? lol, now i get it...
    no wonder sales of androids and iPhone was increasing and the past BBs decreased. because they went to the stores and personally checked the phones for activesync. if the phone doesnt have activesync, they won't buy the phone.
    of course activesync doesn't require 8mp camera, 1GB of ram and 1.5GH of processor. and the fact activesync doesnt need these specs, we shouldn't care less about smartphones specs when we buy a smartphone in the future. so, why are smartphones makers are racing to lead with all these specs i wonder.

now that u mentioned it,
    that means activesync definitely drive the sales of smartphones now.
    because majority wants email.

now i understand. and u firmly believe blackberry will flop if activesync is not included in the next BB10?
    because that is what i understand with what the op says in the thread title.

11-25-12 01:18 AM
    that explains the increase of sales for androids and iphones? lol, now i get it...
    no wonder sales of androids and iPhone was increasing and the past BBs decreased. because they went to the stores and personally checked the phones for activesync. if the phone doesnt have activesync, they won't buy the phone.
    of course activesync doesn't require 8mp camera, 1GB of ram and 1.5GH of processor. and the fact activesync doesnt need these specs, we shouldn't care less about smartphones specs when we buy a smartphone in the future. so, why are smartphones makers are racing to lead with all these specs i wonder.

now that u mentioned it,
    that means activesync definitely drive the sales of smartphones now.
    because majority wants email.

now i understand. and u firmly believe blackberry will flop if activesync is not included in the next BB10?
    because that is what i understand with what the op says in the thread title.

Yes, you said it.. no email active sync = flop.
    11-25-12 01:20 AM
    Yes, I am aware of this. This is one way synchronization. When you delete an email on your PC is it deleted from your Berry? If you mark an email on your PC as read, is it marked as read on your Berry? The answer is no. This is two way sync.
    You are right in this regard, but I don't see it as a major issue... If anything, this setup causes me to use my 'Berry more because I now read and delete most of my e-mails on my smartphone.

Yes in this modern age you would think that the synchronization could be two-way, but as has been pointed out elsewhere in this thread, your average consumer isn't going to be too bothered by this, particularly since statistics claim that the number of people accessing online services via mobile devices is rapidly increasing everyday.

Where this might become an issue for the everyday consumer, is if e-mails/contacts/tasks/calendar entries/etc aren't synchronized between BlackBerry devices - such as between a BlackBerry 10 smartphone and a BlackBerry tablet...

Research in Motion (RIM) however, is pretty desperate to make an impact in the "new world order", and I would be quite surprised if this sort of issue hasn't been taken into consideration.
    11-25-12 01:24 AM
    Yes, you said it.. no email active sync = flop.
    lol. i've been sarcastic lately... haha..

11-25-12 01:29 AM
    Am I the only one that's a little confused by this thread?

I mean yes, some of the points (including the oiginal poster's points) are valid, but it won't be a single point such as a lack of ActiveSync that causes the downfall of BlackBerry... Adding salt to the wound, most of the arguments againt BlackBerry are independant arguments, and not directly related to all of the other arguments.

It just seems to me that the original poster is not really sure what his gripe with BlackBerry is, as he seems to be jumping from one issue to another...

Or maybe it's just because I'm reading this on my 'Berry and having trouble taking in the thread as a whole?
    11-25-12 02:05 AM
    A thread predicting/debating RIMs inevitable downfall on a BlackBerry-enthusiast board.

Oh, irony, you clever dog.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9790
    E92Vancouver likes this.
    11-25-12 03:23 AM

the rest are just bonus.

Well yes, I think you're right, MOST smartphone users want a device for entertainment consumption (apps, gaming, social media, ect), and it looks like we'll be getting that with BB10. But some of us use our smartphones for work, and email makes the business world go 'round. I still think current BlackBerry's are the best device out there for ease of messaging, but the other platforms are offering features that the best mobile communication device should have, and my guess is BB10 will address that.
    11-25-12 04:00 AM
    11-25-12 04:32 AM
    Well yes, I think you're right, MOST smartphone users want a device for entertainment consumption (apps, gaming, social media, ect), and it looks like we'll be getting that with BB10. But some of us use our smartphones for work, and email makes the business world go 'round. I still think current BlackBerry's are the best device out there for ease of messaging, but the other platforms are offering features that the best mobile communication device should have, and my guess is BB10 will address that.
    yes, i agree that activesync is important to some to make the business world go round but according to op, this is the MAIN reason blackberry will flop which is not even a valid and logical reason knowing that the sales of certain brand MUST lean towards the needs and wants of the majority.
    op definitely is delusional.

11-25-12 05:25 AM
    Yes - with HEAVY use (as in sitting on my 'Berry constantly), I can get a SOLID five-ish hours before my smartphone hits 50%... As opposed to even the best Android-powered smartphones, which will hit 50% in about two hours.

Put another way, I can get a full day of heavy use outta my 'Berry, or 2-3 days under "typical" usage...
    Stop.

I get on average 9.5 hours of what would be considered heavy use on my gnote. My wife consistently got 10-11 hours on her galaxy nexus, and now a solid 12 hours of heavy usage on her galaxy s3. We both have our devices constantly connected to our network provider with no wifi anywhere we go, and constantly communicate for our jobs. Sitting on our current daily drivers constantly (screen on throughout) gets us about 6 hours of screen time on average with usually about 20-30% remaining. There was a weekend we went to Florida to visit my sister and her newborn in which case both our devices lasted that entire weekend with no charge, albeit very little use. Anyway point is your exaggerating.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I717 using Tapatalk 2
    11-25-12 06:26 AM
    Stop.

I get on average 9.5 hours of what would be considered heavy use on my gnote. My wife consistently got 10-11 hours on her galaxy nexus, and now a solid 12 hours of heavy usage on her galaxy s3. We both have our devices constantly connected to our network provider with no wifi anywhere we go, and constantly communicate for our jobs. Sitting on our current daily drivers constantly (screen on throughout) gets us about 6 hours of screen time on average with usually about 20-30% remaining. There was a weekend we went to Florida to visit my sister and her newborn in which case both our devices lasted that entire weekend with no charge, albeit very little use. Anyway point is your exaggerating.

Yeah, you pick the best Androids and I would exclude your Note, that's a phablet with a battery to match its size. S3 too to a certain extent, I am not willing to carry such a big phone in my pocket. What about the rest of the more affordable Androids? Some have terrible battery life. I watched a friend's LG Optimus lose 40% battery in under an hour on a train, and he had to keep it off most of the day. He now has a Bold 9790
    11-25-12 08:10 AM
    Just wondering if the OP believes his own logic, then is he willing to short RIMM to $2? Because if BBB10 fails then its curtains for RIM. Then the OP might as well profit from it unless of course the OP really doesnt believe himself.
    11-25-12 09:07 AM
    Yeah, you pick the best Androids and I would exclude your Note, that's a phablet with a battery to match its size. S3 too to a certain extent, I am not willing to carry such a big phone in my pocket. What about the rest of the more affordable Androids? Some have terrible battery life. I watched a friend's LG Optimus lose 40% battery in under an hour on a train, and he had to keep it off most of the day. He now has a Bold 9790
    I certainly agree to an extent. Not all devices are created equally. Which is why if battery is so important to a user they should be keen on those battery specifications before purchase.

Such the same could said about the 9900. When I used it briefly wasn't lasting me half the day in comparison to anything I have used since, but that's a known problem. And it's not a problem of BlackBerry, neither is it that of Android as a whole.

11-25-12 09:24 AM
    IMHO. Let's not forget what RIM/Blackberries are known for:Communication. I don't believe that RIM has gone all in on BB10 to not do what it does best or what is in its DNA. RIM is hyping its Hub and its Flow as differentiators from the rest, so if Blackberry people can't receive their various forms of communication then yes RIM has failed. Let's not forget what RIM is trying to achieve, the overall goal is to conquer or lead in mobile computing. Thor and RIM want to make the smartphone the center of everything and do away with the PC. Interaction/communicating with our smartphone and other devices is where RIM is heading. RIM cannot afford to mess up what is integral to them,Blackberry people and the average consumer.
    sacrdandprofne likes this.
    11-25-12 09:41 AM
    How about we wait until the device is released, read the reviews, test the device ourselves and then predict what will happen to RIM?
    11-25-12 09:57 AM
    I certainly agree to an extent. Not all devices are created equally. Which is why if battery is so important to a user they should be keen on those battery specifications before purchase.

Such the same could said about the 9900. When I used it briefly wasn't lasting me half the day in comparison to anything I have used since, but that's a known problem. And it's not a problem of BlackBerry, neither is it that of Android as a whole.

Depends on usage as well, for example I have 4 hosted imap email addresses on my 9900 that are push. To have the equivalent on any android I would have to set them all to poll every 5 minutes crating a huge battery drain before I would even start using it, not to mention the extra data use.
    11-25-12 10:09 AM
    Depends on usage as well, for example I have 4 hosted imap email addresses on my 9900 that are push. To have the equivalent on any android I would have to set them all to poll every 5 minutes crating a huge battery drain before I would even start using it, not to mention the extra data use.
    I own a 9900 and a s3, I can barely get 3-4 hours out of either. With screen on all 3 hours and full data consumption on 4g or lte.

The s3 is bigger has bigger battery and uses lte which is why it consumes more. The 9900 has a terrible battery size and can barely stay full screen turned on for more than 4 hours.
    11-25-12 10:38 AM
    I am confused.. My head is spinning... But let me bring more fun to this thread. I know it is completely off topic, but there are things people take as granted.

First of all, e-mail is classified as non real time communication method, and 3GPP standards are clear with the Rel.99 or higher QoS profile . Second, mobile packet core network is NOT a real time network (LTE /EPC is design for better data latency, jitter... and from my experiece, operators are finally more concerned with QoS). For real time, use voice communication (mobile circuit switching).

My point, it should be considered normal a e-mail take seconds to minutes to arrive over mobile operators/carrier. To make things even more fun, there is technology available to downgrade your QoS depending on your traffic type, such as e-mail... Which is classified as non -real time. Worst case, it may be dropped.

Going more on topic, i hope RIM considers two user profiles:
    1. Professional plan - for those that desire BES/BIS services (blackberry.net APN )
    2. Casual folcs (like me) - are happy without BES/BIS. This is specially true for non bb users coming from symbian/android ( like me). Folcs that whant a unlocked smartphone and use it with any SIM they desire, without worring about operator /carrier.

If RIM gives the choice of freedom, i will go for bb10, else i will be desapointed.
    Last edited by digitalman101; 11-25-12 at 10:57 AM.
    E92Vancouver likes this.
    11-25-12 10:41 AM
    I own a 9900 and a s3, I can barely get 3-4 hours out of either. With screen on all 3 hours and full data consumption on 4g or lte.

The s3 is bigger has bigger battery and uses lte which is why it consumes more. The 9900 has a terrible battery size and can barely stay full screen turned on for more than 4 hours.
    Simply not true, I often rack up 4 hours of browser usage alone in a day. The 9900 battery has come a long way singe its OS7 beginnings, with the battery saving mode it has doubled.
    11-25-12 10:42 AM
273 ... 45678 ...